- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Ely
Just 14 miles north-east of Cambridge, Ely is another cathedral city, with plenty of old fashioned charm. As well as the huge, ornate cathedral, which still dominates the skyline, Ely has lovely medieval streets dotted with Georgian mansions and lovely little tea shops. Some of the best places to stay in Ely are close to the cathedral and centre of town.
What Not To Miss
- As mentioned, the cathedral really is spectacular and definitely not one to miss. Equally impressive inside as out, a stroll inside is a breathtaking experience.
- Ely is also where you’ll find Oliver Cromwell’s house, a lovely, half timbered building just across the green from the Cathedral. Now a museum, Cromwell lived here for ten years with his family, when he was the local tax collector.
- Ely also has the remains of a Norman castle, two 12th Century hospitals and several museums.
- Take a stroll round the Wicken Fen National Nature Reserve with a great array of flora and fauna, there's a lot to see in this tranquil space.
It's a busy place during July and August so if you want to be sure of reserving one of the best places to stay in Ely, get organised and plan ahead.
For central luxury
- The Poets House is a smart Georgian townhouse hotel in the very heart of Ely, right opposite the cathedral. The decor is luxurious with every detail taken care of, including locally sourced black pudding for breakfast, and a butler who’ll draw your beautiful copper bath if you can’t be bothered. There’s also a smart restaurant with a creative menu.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a range of properties to suit all needs.
- Fly to London Stansted Airport located 72km (45 miles) from Ely. The airport has a range of connections to the UK and to Europe and there's also a train connection from the airport to Ely.
- Ely is well connected to rail routes, with direct routes to London and other major towns.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the beautiful Cambridgeshire countryside - for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the summer months from June to early September typically provide the warmest weather for exploring the town and surrounding countryside.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Ely
Poets House 21 rooms from £119Ely, Cambridgeshire
Exciting new addition to Ely's hotel scene. Townhouse hotel in the heart of the city opposite the cathedral close. Service is key with personal butler's to draw your bath, and a luxurious vibe throughout. Lively bar for evenings in.Sights nearby - A stone's throw from the famous cathedralRoom service - Personal butlers at your beck and callViews - Great views of Ely CathedralRomantic - Good for couples.
The Old Hall 14 rooms from £130Ely (Stuntney)
Historic Jacobean manor house turned luxury B&B with views over the magnificent Ely Cathedral. A range of rooms from grand four-posters to single classics, all sumptuously decorated and filled with antiques & handcrafted furniture, plus beautiful mature gardens and terrace.Local exploring - A great location to exlpore the historic city of Ely with its magnificent cathedral.Sights nearby - The magnificent Ely Cathedral is an absolute must-see.Restrictions on children - This is an adults only property