- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Newmarket
Probably most famous for being the centre of the British horse racing world, and possibly even the birthplace of modern thoroughbred racing, Newmarket is also a pretty market town, a short distance from Cambridge and an easy jaunt from London. You’ll find some of our Guru’s recommendations for the best places to stay in Newmarket within the walk-able centre of town, but some just outside town where there are beautifully green and pleasant views of the Suffolk countryside.
What Not To Miss
- If you’re coming for the races - and there are five main races held here each year, including two Classic races, the 2,000 Guineas and the 1,000 Guineas held in May - then you’ll definitely need to book early to guarantee your room.
- Newmarket has the Jockey Club, the National Horseracing Museum and the National Stud. There's a range of interactive exhibits that make the museum great for visitors of various ages.
- It also has around fifty stables and two large racetracks, The Rowley Mile and The July Course. This is also where you’ll find the world’s preeminent horse hospitals and Tattersalls, the racehorse auctioneers. It’s estimated that there are around three and a half thousand horses living in and around Newmarket.
- All the horses means that Newmarket has also become a heart of sports painting featuring various prominent pieces.
- If you’re not too fussed with horses then you might be interested in learning about Newmarket’s history. It was here that the first confrontation of the English Civil War took place.
But whatever your reason for a visit, you'll find that our pick of the best places to stay in Newmarket will provide the perfect base.
For an indulgent spa break
- The Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa is an indulgent spa hotel within a short drive/ train journey from London. There are 77 rooms in this charming Georgian looking property. The decor is neutral and modern and there’s every mod. con. from a complete gym to the solarium, Hammam and treatments available in the spa.
Just out of town
- Just outside of Newmarket, Paddocks House is a delightful country house which once belonged to Lord Byron’s sister. Now a luxurious, 15 room hotel with contemporary decor including enormous free-standing copper bathtubs. A romantic spot and perfectly located for race-goers.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday, we recommend visiting our online partner Booking.com for a range of properties from the centre of town to rural areas.
- Fly to London Stansted Airport located 53km (33 miles) from Newmarket. The airport caters to various UK and European destinations.
- Catch a train to Newmarket with rail links to major towns and cities.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the beautiful Suffolk countryside and nearby towns, for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - for the racing, come in May with two classic races. Or for the best weather come in summer from June to early September, with this time providing warmer weather.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Newmarket
Bedford Lodge Hotel & Spa 77 roomsNewmarket (Newmarket,)
Indulgent spa hotel within easy reach of London with first-rate service and atmospheric restaurant. Georgian charm, neutral tones and lush textures contrast with the work-out drive of the gym and wonderfully cool aura of the spa. Be it racing, romance or business, you'll want for nothing.Riding - Barrow Hall Stables. Lessons for anyone from the age of 5 upwards.Great walks - City of Cambridge and Bury St Edmunds with it's 10th century Abbey.Sights nearby - Newmarket races. Saturday races. A great day out for the family.Spa - Solarium, hot tub, Hammam and sauna available.
Paddocks House 15 rooms from £139Newmarket (Six Mile Bottom)
Former country house of Lord Byron's sister which has been turned into a luxury hotel on the edge of Newmarket. Bedrooms are contemporary in style: hues of grey with enormous copper statement bathtubs. Great spot for a romantic escape or simply ideal if you're spending a day at the races.Views - All bedrooms have lovely views over the surrounding countrysideGreat walks - Good for walkers.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Traditional