- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Lavenham
Most of Lavenham’s buildings were built between 1450 and 1500, when the town was a wealthy medieval wool centre, and most of them are in an excellent state of repair - making this a wonderful place for a holiday back in time. Many of the best places to stay in Lavenham date from the same period, so there’s the opportunity to sleep in a Jacobean four poster bed, or under original wood beams which have been serving their purpose for more than five hundred years.
Several of the town’s most historic buildings, including the Guildhall, are open to the public, but just strolling the streets, amongst half timbered houses and pastel coloured, thatched cottages - some of which have now got quite a lean on them - is a bit like being on a film set.
What Not To Miss:
- Step back in history with a visit to Lavenham's Guildhall and discover the stories behind a building at the heart of this historic tudor village for nearly 500 years
- Explore the Church of St Peter and St Paul. Situated in the centre of Lavenham, the vast scale of this majestic building in proportion to the village is symbolic of the wealth Lavenham held in the past
- Take a stroll around the Little Hall and indeed through the ages as you find out how the history of Lavenham has changed through time.
- Experience medieval hunting techniques using birds of prey at Lavenham Falconry Centre with a range of different experiences. Visitors also have the opportunity to try archery at this purpose-built venue.
Don't forget to plan ahead if you want to reserve one of the best places to stay in Lavenham, this is a popular spot for holiday-makers and weekenders alike.
For a restaurant with rooms
- The Great House is a restaurant with rooms - just five of them - right in the heart of medieval Lavenham. Luxurious, chic, and a little bit French, the restaurant has won awards, and the individually styled rooms are historic and spoiling. An ideal escape for foodies, and winner of the 2014 Sawdays Fabulous Food Award.
For an historical escape
- The Swan at Lavenham is a famous old coaching inn dating from the 15th Century. There are 45 rooms, though while you’ll find some wonderful original details about the place, the decor is modern and the rooms very comfortable. It's a real experience!
For a holiday Cottage or apartment
- If you would prefer your own space, then visit our online partner Booking.com for a wide range of apartments and cottages near to Lavenham
- The closest major airport is London Stansted, 61km (38 miles) away - approximately a one-hour drive.
- If travelling by rail, take the train to Bury St Edmunds and then a bus or taxi to Lavenham
- If you would like to hire a car to explore beyond Lavenham, we recommend doing so through our online partner, Rentalcars.
- Best time of year to visit - the summer months (June-September) will provide the warmest weather for exploring the village and surrounding area.
Best Hotels in Lavenham
The Great House 5 rooms from $124Lavenham
In the heart of one of Suffolk’s most perfect and peaceful medieval villages is Lavenham, and the delightful Great House restaurant and small luxury hotel. French chic meets quintessential English charm; the combination is pretty special.Exclusive offer - Autumn Midweek Escape for TwoFoodies - The restaurant has been awarded 3 AA RosettesSights nearby - Situated in the heart of medieval LavenhamRomantic - Good for couples.Four poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
The Swan at Lavenham 43 rooms from $254Lavenham
A famous old coaching inn (1400) in a classic medieval town, with 45 ancient rooms done up in 20th century luxury style. Touristy but an experience.Sights nearby - Explore Lavenham one of the UK's finest mediaeval towns.Cooking classes - Culinary masterclasses available.Romantic - Good for couples.Four poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - Sawdays