Search the best hotels in Lavenham
Most of the buildings in the centre of Lavenham were built between 1450 and 1500, when the town was a wealthy medieval wool centre. But the most brilliant thing about them is that they’re beautifully preserved, so visiting Lavenham is like taking a trip back in time. Many of the best places to stay in Lavenham date from the same period, so visitors have the very rare opportunity of sleeping in a Jacobean four-poster bed, or under a wood-beamed ceiling that’s been doing its job for more than five hundred years. A number of Lavenham’s historic buildings are open to the public, but just strolling the streets, amongst the quirkily angled, half-timbered houses and pastel-coloured thatch cottages, is like being on a film set.
To get more of a picture of Lavenham’s centre, you need to imagine a full 350 listed buildings — listed for both their architectural and historical interest. There are halls and houses, grand and small, churches, shops, pubs and inns. this beautiful backdrop is now filled with cafes, independent boutiques, art galleries, plenty of pubs, and some truly excellent restaurants, making the best places to stay in Lavenham regular recommendations for both a romantic escape, and for foodies.
The Best Places to Stay in Lavenham
For a Romantic Escape
- The Swan at Lavenham is a 15th century, timber-framed coaching inn, surrounded by an equally atmospheric collection of medieval, timber-framed charmers. Expect plenty of character, but don’t come anticipating straight walls or floors! The decor is very comfortable, though, so the quirkiness of the building doesn’t cause any actual discomfort — unless you stop looking out for the low ceiling beams! The larger suites offer plenty of luxury, including four-poster beds and plush living spaces. There are lots of little sitting rooms and outdoor terraces, plus a spacious dining room and restaurant, and a bar. And even a spa.
Prefer a Private Apartment or Cottage?
- If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- You can get to Lavenham from London in about three and a half hours by public transport, or in about an hour and a half by car. If you’re thinking of flying in, the closest international airport as the crow flies is probably Norwich International Airport which is just over an hour away from Lavenham by car or taxi, or just under two hours away by public transport. London City Airport is about four hours away by rail, or an hour and a half by car or taxi, and Heathrow is on the opposite side of London from Lavenham, and about four hours by train, or about two hours by car or taxi.
- If you want to hire a car we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- Lavenham is a year round destination, ideal for a romantic escape or mini-break. If you’re hoping for great weather the drier, sunnier months are in late spring and summer, or between about April and September.
Still not sure where to stay?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Suffolk or just the best places to stay in nearby Ipswich, Colchester or Bury St Edmunds
- You might like to search for the kind of accommodation you’re looking for, for example the best pubs with rooms in Suffolk
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Lavenham
Best Hotels in Lavenham
The Windmill Suffolk Lavenham (Suffolk) 2 rooms from £475Romantic Break - With its luxury interiors and stunning surrounds, this makes a very romantic retreatSit-out Terrace - At the top of the windmill is a fourth floor balcony with amazing country viewsLocal exploring - A great location, just outside Lavenham and a short drive from Bury St EdmundsGroups - The perfect luxury getaway for two couples
A stunning windmill with panoramic views over the Suffolk countryside, just outside Lavenham. Interiors throughout are smart and modern and luxurious touches can be seen everywhere from the bespoke beds to the indulgent marble and shell bathroom. A romantic hideaway that's ideal for two couples. See More
The Swan at Lavenham Lavenham 45 rooms from £150Local exploring - Pretty Lavenham is one of Suffolk's most popular tourist attractions, while there are several historical sites nearby tooRomantic Break - With atmospheric rooms, a spoiling spa, and a fine dining restaurant - this is ideal for a romantic escapeSights nearby - Explore Lavenham one of the UK's finest medieval towns or head to Bury St Edmunds to explore the abbey ruinsSpa - The spa includes steam and sauna rooms, an outdoor hot tub, and pampering treatmentsRecommended by - Sawdays
A 15th-century timber-framed coaching inn set in the medieval town of Lavenham. Characterful rooms keep their original features with exposed beams, wonky walls, antiques, and traditional fabrics. With fine dining and a spa, this is a luxurious base ideal for a romantic getaway. See More