- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Lyme Regis
About Lyme Regis
Lyme Regis is a very pretty seaside town in south-west Dorset, it is also right in the middle of the Jurassic Coast, a haven for the fossil finder. Regular erosion of the cliffs creates a fossil field where even the total novice can strike lucky. Our pick of the best places to stay in Lyme Regis are ideally situated to enjoy all the highlights of this charming spot.
Lyme Regis is a charming town built around a fishing port. There are nice beaches, a promenade, mini-golf and a good selection of restaurants, bars, cafes and fish and chip shops
The town is built around Cobb Harbour, which has an impressive harbour wall - Jane Austen name checks 'The Cobb' in several novels. As well as being famous it's also beautiful and, at times, dramatic.
Part of The Cobb now houses an aquarium. Lyme Regis has several museums - the Fossil Musem is a must! - galleries and many impressive old buildings.
Not to miss
- Take long walks along the Jurassic Coast and marvel at the fascinating stone formations.
- Visit the aquarium and Lyme Regis Museum, ideal for a day out with children.
- Spend an afternoon at the historic Forde Abbey and Gardens.
All the best places to stay in Lyme Regis are incredibly busy during the peak summer months, so either book well ahead or plan your visit in the quieter months when you will have more of the beach to yourself.
The best places to stay in Lyme Regis
For quirky B&B
- Arty B+B by the Sea is a quirky and stylish two room B&B in the centre of town. Crammed with all sorts of the owner's artworks. This Georgian villa features a sloping lawn where you can take breakfast in warmer months and wonderful sea views. Just a five minute walk to the beach.
For seaside chic
- The Alexandra Hotel is a 21 room cliff-top boutique hotel with a gourmet restaurant and charming terrace facing out to sea. As well as the bay there are amazing views over the Jurassic Coast.
- Book a room at the Bull Hotel for chic individually designed rooms in a converted18th century coaching inn.
For rural charm
- For a slice of quintessential rural Britain stay at the Mason Arms located just outside Lyme Regis.
- The Bridgehouse Hotel houses an award winning restaurant serving up British fare and the cosy atmosphere with open fireplaces and wooden beams make this a delightful stay.
For an Apartment or Cottage
- If you prefer a self catering property then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where there is a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to either Exeter, Bristol or Bournmouth or take a train from London Waterloo to Axminster.
- Best time to visit - Lyme Regis is a year round destination with each season bringing its own charm however for the best chance of long sunny days visit between the summer months of May - August.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Holiday Autos for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Lyme Regis
Arty B+B by the Sea 2 rooms from $130Lyme Regis, Dorset
Quirky and stylish artists house and studio - Georgian villa with sloping lawn and seaviews in charming seaside town. Five minute walk to the beach, and right in the middle of town.Sights nearby - In the middle of the Jurassic CoastFishing - Sea fishing can be arrangedViews - Great views from hotelSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Alexandra Hotel 24 rooms from $234Lyme Regis, Dorset
Panoramic views over the ocean and the harbour from this cliff top boutique hotel. Luxurious bedrooms, gourmet restaurant and sea-facing terrace, and an excellent spa too. Great for a weekend away, think lobster and sea breeze.Views - Fabulous views over Lyme Bay and the Jurassic CoastSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Diving - Good diving nearby.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Johansens, Sawdays