Search the best hotels in Lyme Regis
About Lyme Regis
Lyme Regis is a very pretty seaside town in south-west Dorset, it is also right in the middle of the Jurassic Coast, a haven for the fossil finder. Regular erosion of the cliffs creates a fossil field where even the total novice can strike lucky. Our pick of the best places to stay in Lyme Regis are ideally situated to enjoy all the highlights of this charming spot.
Lyme Regis is a charming town built around a fishing port. There are nice beaches, a promenade, mini-golf and a good selection of restaurants, bars, cafes and fish and chip shops
The town is built around Cobb Harbour, which has an impressive harbour wall - Jane Austen name checks 'The Cobb' in several novels. As well as being famous it's also beautiful and, at times, dramatic.
Part of The Cobb now houses an aquarium. Lyme Regis has several museums - the Fossil Musem is a must! - galleries and many impressive old buildings.
Not to miss
- Take long walks along the Jurassic Coast and marvel at the fascinating stone formations.
- Visit the aquarium and Lyme Regis Museum, ideal for a day out with children.
- Spend an afternoon at the historic Forde Abbey and Gardens.
All the best places to stay in Lyme Regis are incredibly busy during the peak summer months, so either book well ahead or plan your visit in the quieter months when you will have more of the beach to yourself.
For seaside chic
- The Alexandra Hotel is a 21 room cliff-top boutique hotel with a gourmet restaurant and charming terrace facing out to sea. As well as the bay there are amazing views over the Jurassic Coast.
For quirky B&B
- Arty B+B by the Sea is a quirky and stylish two room B&B in the centre of town. Crammed with all sorts of the owner's artworks. This Georgian villa features a sloping lawn where you can take breakfast in warmer months and wonderful sea views. Just a five minute walk to the beach.
For an Apartment or Cottage
- If you prefer a self catering property then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where there is a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to either Exeter, Bristol or Bournmouth or take a train from London Waterloo to Axminster.
- Best time to visit - Lyme Regis is a year round destination with each season bringing its own charm however for the best chance of long sunny days visit between the summer months of May - August.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Lyme Regis
Alexandra Hotel 24 rooms from £180Lyme Regis, Dorset
Panoramic views over the ocean and the harbour from this cliff top boutique hotel. Luxurious bedrooms, gourmet restaurant and sea-facing terrace, and an excellent spa too. Great for a weekend away, think lobster and sea breeze.Exclusive offer - 3 nights for the price of 2Views - Fabulous views over Lyme Bay and the Jurassic CoastSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Diving - Good diving nearby.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Sawdays
Lyme Townhouse 10 rooms from £90Lyme Regis (West Dorset)
A smart townhouse located in the centre of historic Lyme Regis. A handful of beautifully renovated rooms feature white washed walls, a choice selection of antiques, crisp white linen and large sash windows. With plenty to explore in the seaside town and beyond this is ideal for a weekend getaway.Local exploring - Perfectly placed to explore the historic town of Lyme Regis and South West Dorset.Great walks - Dicover the Jurrasic Coast on long walks.Restrictions on children - Children over 7 are welcomeFull of character
Dorset House 5 rooms from £115Lyme Regis (West Dorset)
Dorset House is a charming boutique B&B in the coastal town of Lyme Regis. In a town that famous for it's fossils, this spot is distinctly contemporary with sharp, elegant rooms and plush ensuites. A great spot for those looking to explore the Dorset coast.Value chic - Seriously smart accommodation with prices that won't break the bankLocal exploring - A great base for exploring the charming Dorset town of Lyme Regis.Great walks - Go walking at the lovely nearby Golden Cap. Or borrow one of Dorset House's maps and head further afieldSights nearby - Go and learn about local history at the Lyme Regis Museum.
HIX Townhouse 8 rooms from £120Lyme Regis (West Dorset)
An elegant townhouse owned by famed chef and hotelier Mark Hix. Smart rooms are spacious and atmospheric with rich hues, open fireplaces and sash windows. Just a short walk from the fabulous HIX Oyster & Fish House the hotel also features an 'honesty kitchen' for late night snacks.Foodies - Naturally the nearby HIX Oyster & Fish restaurant is the real draw which guests get discounts at.Groups - The guesthouse can be rented out in its entirety for groups.Fishing - Spend a day fishing at sea before returning to the HIX Oyster and Fish House where the head chef will cook the catch.Great walks - Take long walks along the striking Jurrasic Coast.