Search the best hotels in Lyme Regis
About Lyme Regis
Lyme Regis is a very pretty seaside town in south-west Dorset, it is also right in the middle of the Jurassic Coast, a haven for the fossil finder. Regular erosion of the cliffs creates a fossil field where even a total novice can strike lucky. The spectacular Jurassic Coast is the reason for most visitors and our top picks of the best places to stay in Lyme Regis are chosen on their impressive views of this natural wonder. Hotels in the area are a mix of chic boutiques and charming, quintessentially British stays, perfect for a rural break.
Lyme Regis is a charming town built around a fishing port. There are nice beaches, a promenade, mini-golf and a good selection of restaurants, bars, cafes and fish and chip shops. The town is built around Cobb Harbour, which has an impressive harbour wall (Jane Austen name checks 'The Cobb' in several novels). Part of The Cobb now houses an aquarium. The town also has several museums - the Fossil Musem being a must visit! But don't miss getting out of town and exploring the shore line on long coastal walks.
All the best places to stay in Lyme Regis are incredibly busy during the peak summer months, so either book well ahead or plan your visit in the quieter months when you will have more of the beach to yourself.
The Best Places to Stay in Lyme Regis
For seaside chic
- The Alexandra Hotel is a 21 room cliff-top boutique hotel with a gourmet restaurant and charming terrace facing out to sea. As well as the bay there are amazing views over the Jurassic Coast.
For a boutique stay
- Lyme Townhouse is a smart property located in the centre of Lyme Regis. A handful of beautifully renovated rooms feature white washed walls, a choice selection of antiques, crisp white linen and large sash windows. A chic stay.
- Dorset House is a charming boutique B&B. In a town that's famous for its fossils, this spot is distinctly contemporary with sharp, elegant rooms and plush ensuites. A great spot for those looking to explore the Dorset coast.
For a country escape
- Greenhill House is a pretty secluded country house set on the outskirts of Lyme Regis and boasting lovely sea views. Offering just three rooms each of which are tastefully and traditionally styled. A homely base from which to explore the Jurrasic Coast.
For an Apartment or Cottage
- If you prefer a self catering property then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where there is a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Fly to either Exeter, Bristol or Bournemouth or take a train from London Waterloo to Axminster.
- Best time to visit - Lyme Regis is a year round destination with each season bringing its own charm however for the best chance of long sunny days visit between the summer months of May - August.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Lyme Regis.
- widen your search and check out all our properties in Dorset.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Lyme Regis
Best Hotels in Lyme Regis
Lyme Townhouse Lyme Regis (West Dorset) 10 rooms from £90Local exploring - Perfectly placed to explore the historic town of Lyme Regis and South West Dorset.Great walks - Dicover the Jurrasic Coast on long walks.Restrictions on children - Children over 7 are welcomeFull of character
A smart townhouse located in the centre of historic Lyme Regis. A handful of beautifully renovated rooms feature white washed walls, a choice selection of antiques, crisp white linen and large sash windows. With plenty to explore in the seaside town and beyond this is ideal for a weekend getaway. See More
Dorset House Lyme Regis (West Dorset) 5 rooms from £115Value chic - Seriously smart accommodation with prices that won't break the bankLocal exploring - A great base for exploring the charming Dorset town of Lyme Regis.Great walks - Go walking at the lovely nearby Golden Cap. Or borrow one of Dorset House's maps and head further afieldViews - Some of the rooms have lovely views over the Jurassic Coast.
Greenhill House Lyme Regis (West Dorset) 3 rooms from £150Country Escape - A cosy spot within walking distance from the coast and set in pretty gardens. A tranquil stayGreat walks - Take long walks along the coastal path and admire the famed Jurassic CoastlineViews - Superb views from its hillside location of Golden Cap and the Jurassic Coast.Minimum Stay - Two night minimum stay and three nights over Bank Holiday Weekends.Recommended by - Sawdays
A pretty secluded country house set on the outskirts of Lyme Regis and boasting lovely sea views. Offering just three rooms each of which are tastefully and traditionally styled. Added luxuries include roll-top baths and Egyptian cotton sheets. A homely base from which to explore the Jurrasic Coast. See More
Alexandra Hotel Lyme Regis, Dorset 24 rooms from £180Views - Fabulous views over Lyme Bay and the Jurassic CoastSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Restaurant - Recommended.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Sawdays