Search the best hotels in Mull
Spectacularly windswept and beautiful Mull is the largest and most populous island in the Inner Hebrides, yet still a place of peace and natural wonders. The best places to stay on Mull can be found dotted around the island. There are cliffs, craggy basalt mountains, and sandy beaches, and the surrounding seas are home to whales and wonderful sea birds.
Go for pretty Tobermory - one of the best places to stay on Mull for fisher-folk and sailors, or the island’s north where there are spectacular coastal views, or South Mull, which is one of the best places to stay if you’re looking for a real escape.
What Not To Miss
- Hop on a boat and take a tour of the dramatic Isle of Staffa and Fingal's cave. The towering basalt columns are a natural phenomenon and visitors are often get up close to native wildlife.
- Enjoy a tour and tipple of a local specialty at Tobermory Distilery. Visitors can learn about the whisky-making process and participate in a tasting if they wish.
- Learn about the island's history at the Mull Museum with a range of interesting exhibits and memorabilia ensuring that there is plenty to see and discover.
- Step back in history with a visit to Duart Castle, formidably overlooking Mull's sea cliffs. The castle contains 800 years of history of one of Scotland's oldest clans and includes everything from eerie dungeons to grand banquet halls.
- Keep a sharp eye out on the Mull Eagle Watch with a ranger-led visit to see the largest and most impressive bird of prey in Britain.
Our selection of the best places to stay in Mull fill up pretty quickly, especially in the peak summer months so book soon to avoid missing your ideal property.
For a rural escape
- Tiroran House is a wonderful choice if you’re looking for an escape - there are just ten rooms and you’re surrounded by 17 acres of unspoiled Scottish country views. The rooms offer classic luxury and the hotel has been voted the ‘Best Country House Hotel in Scotland’ two years in a row.
- Fairytale-like Glengorm Castle is located a short distance from Tobermory, the Isle of Mull's capital. Offers five charming individually-decorated rooms complete with en suite bathrooms. Relax with a book by the fire and enjoy the traditional furnishings. Great breakfasts. A lovely stay in a gorgeous spot!
- Highland Cottage in Tobermory is a six room, Edwardian house conversion, with lovely attention to detail in the decor of the rooms, and also in the cosy living room and formal dining room.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a range of quaint properties ideal as bases for exploring the island.
- Fly to Glasgow Airport located 185km (115 miles) from the Isle of Mull. Visitors can then catch a flight to one of the smaller neighbouring island airports if they wish, along with links to international destinations further afield.
- If you want to catch a train to Mull, you'll have to ride the train to Oban.
- Or hop on a ferry to Mull with ferry links to the islands and the mainland.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the island - for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - from June to early September provides the warmest weather for enjoying the plethora of outdoor sights on Mull.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Mull
The Tobermory Hotel 11 rooms from £86Tobermory, Mull
Overlooking Tobermory harbour, The Tobermory Hotel has been running since 1869. With a distinctive pink facade the hotel offers excellent rooms, an atmospheric bar and delicious local cuisine in the restaurant. A great base from which to explore the charms of Mull.Fishing - Fishing trips - both sea and loch - can be arranged by the hotel.Great walks - Go out to Calgary for a lovely walk along the beach.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Full of character
Killoran House 5 rooms from £125Mull
Killoran House is an excellent B&B in the northern area of Mull, a rural location with great views. Featuring comfortable rooms, pretty furnishings and a restaurant with wonderful food. It's a great base from which to explore the surrounding area.Local exploring - A great base for exploring the Northern reaches of Mull.Great walks - The surrounding area is full of great walking routes.Fishing - Go trout fishing on nearby Loch Frisa.Remote - Off the beaten track.
Pennygate Lodge 6 rooms from £130Mull
Tranquility prevails at the Pennygate Lodge, a charming B&B in the village of Craignure. The rooms are elegant and comfortable with deluxe ensuite bathrooms. Start your day with an excellent breakfast before heading off to explore the charms of Mull.Great walks - The area surrounding Craignure is full of lovely walking routes.Fishing - The hotel can organise sea fishing trips for guests.Sights nearby - Take a trip to nearby Dunstaffnage Castle.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Highland Cottage 6 rooms from £135Tobermory, Mull
This 'cottage' (owners David and Jo do not call themselves a hotel) is located in the centre of Tobermory. Rooms are Edwardian in style with billowing, satin fabrics, ornate lamps and many with four poster beds. There's a cosy living room and dining room serving delicious locally sourced cuisine.Great walks - With one roundabout and not a single traffic light you could say the island of Mull is almost made for walkers!Birdwatching - Puffins, egrets and much more can be spotted on the nearby coastline.Sailing - Take a boat to nearby Iona or Staffa for the day.Restrictions on children - Above the age of ten only.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Glengorm Castle 5 rooms from £135Mull
Glengorm Castle is located a short distance from Tobermory, the Isle of Mull's capital. It offers five charming individually-decorated rooms complete with en suite bathrooms. Public rooms are filled with antiques and all have roaring fires. Families are very welcome. A stunning home from home.Great walks - Head off on wonderful long hikes around Mull to truly revel in the island's natural beautyFishing - If you fancy a relaxing afternoon then head off for a spot of fishingOutstanding locationFull of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
Tiroran House 10 rooms from £175Argyll and Bute, Mull
Stunning views, 17 acres of unspoiled Scottish countryside and luxurious classic country rooms; it comes as no surprise that Tiroran was voted 'Best Country House Hotel in Scotland' two years running. Treat yourself to hearty, locally sourced meals - the great outdoors can build quite an appetite!Sailing - Take a boat trip along the Loch na Keel or to Tobermory for whale watching.Great walks - Along the bracing coastline of the Ardmeanach Peninsula.Birdwatching - Eagles, puffins and much more can be spotted.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Recommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide