- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Ross-on-Wye
Ross-on-Wye is a charming little market town right on the Wye and close to the Forest of Dean. It might seem strange, but Ross-on-Wye is apparently the birthplace of the British tourist industry. It all started in 1745, when the rector of Ross began taking his friends on boat trips down the river to see the dramatic scenery of the Wye valley. As well as the impressive cliffs and gorges, the valley is dotted with castles and old abbeys, creating a very picturesque, romantic view. Some of the best places to stay in Ross-on-Wye also share some of these views down the valley.
These days Ross-on-Wye still has its picturesque surrounds to attract visitors, but it also has lovely little streets lined with cafes, teahouses and independent shops, surrounding quite a grand market hall and square, where they hold markets every Saturday and Thursday. Ross-on-Wye also has a lovely church, St. Mary’s, and it’s about a mile away from a delightfully ruined castle, Wilton.
What not to miss
- Shop at the historic market located in a 17th Century Market House.
- Walk down the River Wye and view the Heritage Goodrich Castle established in 1095.
- Visit the 13th-century St Mary's Church which boasts spectacular views from its hilltop vantage.
- View the striking ruins of Wilton Castle.
As you'd expect being the birthplace of tourism, the best places to stay in Ross-on-Wye are very popular year round, so don't leave your bookings till the last minute.
- Wilton Court is a country restaurant right on the banks of the Wye river with town elegant rooms. The building once housed a magistrate’s court, but the gardens and lawns are much more country garden than formal one. The restaurant has won numerous awards and the menu is said to be full of country favourites.
For a rural setting
- Brooks Country House enjoys a serene countryside setting near Ross on Wye. This Georgian manor house offers wonderful accommodation combining various original features with contemporary touches.
For a holiday cottage
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- The nearest airport is Bristol International Airport, located 37 miles from the town, which has numerous connections across the UK and Europe. By train, travel to Ledbury which has direct links to London Paddington and is just 13 miles from the town.
- Best time to visit - Ross-on-Wye is a year round destination with each season bringing it's own charm, however for the best chance at warm bright days travel in the summer months May - August.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Ross-on-Wye
The Bridge House 8 rooms from £95Ross-on-Wye
A stunning white Georgian house located on the River Wye. Elegant white-washed rooms feature well placed paintings and a few choice antiques. The views are spectacular, breakfasts delicious and there's plenty to keep all entertained in the surrounding countryside.Country Escape - A gorgeous Georgian country house with endless country pursuits in the surrounding area.Fishing - The Wye Valley and Forest of Dean offers some excellent fishing both on the River Wye itself and its many tributaries.Great walks - Enjoy some of the loveliest walks in Britain to be found in the hillsides and meadows surrounding Ross on Wye.Kayaking - The River Wye is renowned as being one of the best places to kayak and canoe in Europe.Recommended by - Sawdays
Wilton Court 11 rooms from £125Ross-on-Wye, Herefordshire
Country restaurant with rooms on the banks of the River Wye. Wholesome country food, elegant rooms, beautiful garden lawns.Four poster beds - For romantics.Great walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Johansens
Brooks Country House 22 rooms from £87Nr Ross-on-Wye
Brooks Country House enjoys a serene countryside setting near Ross on Wye, Herefordshire. This Georgian manor house offers wonderful accommodation combining various original features with contemporary touches. Come back after a day out hiking and unwind in the sauna! A top retreat.Romantic Break - Divine accommodation, a lovely quiet setting and superb cuisine-the ideal choice for a romantic getawayFoodies - Brooks Country House uses local produce to serve up truly wonderful dishesCountry Escape - Feel a million miles away from city life at this tranquil rural spotGreat walks - Head off on long walks through the beautiful surrounding countryside