Search the best hotels in Skipton
At the southern edge of the Yorkshire Dales, Skipton has a lovely high street and an exceptionally well preserved medieval castle. It also has a lively cultural life. The best places to stay in Skipton tend to have plenty of charm and often exceptionally beautiful views over the Dales.
Skipton grew rich off the sheep’s back during the Anglo Saxon age and there are still several busy market days each week - Monday, Wednesday, Friday and Saturday. The Northern Dales Farmers Market is held nearby on the first Sunday of the month.
What not to miss:
- Visit the impressive Skipton Castle, one of the best-preserved medieval castles in England.
- Get out onto the Yorkshire Dales for a hike and enjoy the rugged landscape.
- Explore the miles of quiet road winding through picturesque countryside by bike.
- Find fabulous local produce at the Skipton Market.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Skipton are all rurally located. They're also perfect for making the most of what this town and surrounding area have to offer from fabulous walking to exploring stunning country houses and much more.
The Best Places to Stya in Skipton
The Best Places to Stay in Skipton for a Rural Outlook
- The Angel Inn is a cosy, former crofter’s cottage turned pub-with-rooms, right in amongst the scenery of the Yorkshire Dales. There are just five rooms and four suites - all comfortable and modern, quite a juxtaposition with the quaint, traditional pub with its nooks and crannies. There’s a formal restaurant and a bar brasserie both have a great reputation.
- A gloriously situated coaching inn, on the Pennine Way, in the Yorkshire Dales National Park. The Lister Arms offers pretty rooms with soft hues and lovely views. The perfect base for walkers and those looking for some peace and tranquility.
The Best Places to Stay for Bolton Abbey
- The Devonshire Arms Country House Hotel and Spa was once a coaching inn on the Duke of Devonshire’s Bolton Abbey Estate, but is now a 40 room country house hotel - with a very nice spa. You’re surrounded by beautiful parkland and there’s a Michelin starred restaurant.
- The Devonshire Fell Hotel is the Devonshire Arms’ more casual little sister, a 12 room hotel with great family suites, vibrant, colourful decor and spectacular views of the surrounding Fells.
Prefer an apartment or cottage?
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Skipton is served by trains from Leeds (two an hour, taking about 40 min) and Bradford Forster Square (two an hour, taking about 40 min). Trains on the Settle to Carlisle route also pass through Skipton. The nearest airport is Leeds International Airport which is linked via train to Skipton.
- Best time to visit - Skipton is a year round destination with each season offering its own charm. However, for the best chance at warm bright days travel in the summer months (May - August).
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Skipton
Napiers 14 rooms from £99Skipton
A traditional 'restaurant with rooms', complete with neighbouring guesthouse, in the historic town of Skipton. Rooms are individually styled some more traditional than others; the best being a suite at the top of the coach house. The restaurant serves superlative hearty British fare.Foodies - With a background in cattle farming and butchery this is a hearty, meaty affair. Perfect for feasting on after a country walk.Sights nearby - Take the short walk to Skipton Castle built in 1090.Great walks - Head out of the town in to the picturesque Dales.Traditional
Devonshire Fell Hotel 16 rooms from £139Burnsall, Yorkshire
Colourful, contemporary-style hotel, on the Duke of Devonshire’s Yorkshire estate, with stunning views over a picturesque Wharfedale village. Ideally placed for walks, exploring local villages or picnicking by the river.Foodies - Feast on the locally sourced 1AA Rosette cuisine in the stylish restaurant, followed by a drink in the cosy bar.Country Escape - On the edge of the Yorkshire Dales National Park, surrounded by rolling hills and scenic country.Great walks - Bring your dog and head out rambling among rolling hills, country lanes and along the River Wharfe.Sights nearby - The UNESCO heritage sights of Bolton Abbey Estate and Fountains Abbey are a short drive away.Recommended by - Sawdays
Angel Inn 9 rooms from £150Near Skipton, Yorkshire
15th Century drovers' inn turned in the 1950s to a popular pub in the Dales. Oak beams and chic interiors make the comfortable rooms ooze character. The restaurant serves excellent modern British food. Do not miss a chance to explore the wine cave. Great walking from the door.Foodies - Knockout food crafted from the finest ingrediants, former owner was dubbed “Godfather of the Gastropub”.Country Escape - An ideal escape surrounded by wonderful walking in the Yorkshire countryside.Great walks - Between the world heritage sights and the rolling hills and beautiful valleys, a walk is definitely in order.Sights nearby - Close to Skipton Castle and Bolton Abbey.Recommended by - Sawdays
The Devonshire Arms Hotel and Spa 40 rooms from £168Skipton, Yorkshire
The former Coaching Inn on the Duke of Devonshire's Bolton Abbey estate is now a romantic hideaway spa hotel. Classic rooms exude comfort and style. 3 AA Rosette fine dining, a brasserie, indoor pool and stunning parkland setting makes this a popular place for families, wedding parties and romance.Hideaway - Mouthwatering food, wonderful service, plenty of activities and old school suites complete with fourposters and walk in showers.Active Holiday - With miles of walking, plus clay pigeon shooting, fly-fishing, and falconry available at Bolton Abbey Estate.Fishing - Fly fishing for brown trout and grayling along a 4.5 mile stretch of River Wharfe.Great walks - Ask at reception for some of well trodden and loved walking routes in the area.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Great Small Hotels