- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Search the best hotels in Taunton
Ancient Taunton has a castle constructed during the Anglo Saxon age and a 10th century monastery and can trace its habitation back to Bronze and Iron Age settlements, via a Roman farm. Many of the best places to stay in Taunton are within easy reach of these sites.
During the medieval period this was a wealthy market town, known for its woollen cloth, and has had a dramatic, and often bloody, history of siege and rebellion.
Today's Taunton still has a regular market, and, as well as all the historic sights, there are several local nature reserves, including a long corridor along the River Tone, which is known for otters and rich birdlife.
What Not To Miss
- The Museum of Somerset, set in Taunton Castle, is a brilliant place for those looking to learn about the region's rich history - with a special focus on what it was like during wartime.
- Enjoy a picnic with the family in the lovely Vivary Park or Hestercombe Gardens.
- Nature lovers will enjoy a trip to the RSPB Swell Wood Nature Reserve, set in ancient woodland and home to a wide variety of birdlife.
- Head along to Sheppy's Cider to find out about the cider (or scrumpy as it's know in these parts!) making process and enjoy a few tastings of their products.
With all this to see and lots to do many of the best places to stay in Taunton are booked quickly so make your plans soon to visit this popular town.
For the town centre
- The Castle is one of several inns claiming to be among the oldest hostelries in England, having been a great place to stay since the 12th century. These days the beautiful, wisteria clad facade is still very 'castle', but the interior is more 'townhouse' with sophisticated dining and 44 rooms - some with views onto the old Norman gardens.
For out-of-town escapes
- Langford Fivehead is a 15th century country house converted into a stylish, six room restaurant with rooms. The bedrooms have a decadent feel with roll top bathtubs and large original fireplaces, whilst the restaurant serves a daily changing three course gourmet menu.
- Set in a lovely Jacobean building, Frog Street Farmhouse offers three smart rooms decorated in creamy hues and filled with antiques. Tuck into a full English before heading off exploring the surrounding acres of farmland.
For An Apartment Or Holiday Home
If you would prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Taunton's obviously nicest in the summer, with the average daily temperature reaching 17°C in July.
- The nearest place to fly into is Bristol Airport which is served by a variety of domestic and mainland European destinations.
- From here you can hop on a train down to Taunton, with the journey taking around an hour and a half.
- If you're coming from further afield then you can fly into Heathrow Airport before taking the train or bus to Taunton.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Taunton
Langaller Manor House 3 rooms from £80Taunton (Langaller)
Just a couple of miles from Taunton, Langaller Manor House is a lovely B&B. Featuring spacious, comfortable rooms and extensive gardens, it's a great base from which to explore Somerset. For a gourmet experience, book the B&B's chef for a private dining session.Sights nearby - Take a trip into Tauton and explore the charming riverside town.
The Hatch Inn 5 rooms from £90Taunton (Hatch Beauchamp)
Located in the tiny village of Hatch Beauchamp, The Hatch Inn is a charming, family-run B&B. Featuring smart, comfortable rooms and an atmospheric bar with delicious pub grub. It's a great base for exploring Somerset.Great walks - The nearby Blackdown Hills are full of beautiful walking routes.Sights nearby - Take a day trip to explore Taunton.
Langford Fivehead 6 rooms from £185Lower Swell, Somerset
Historic and stylish 15th century country house turned restaurant with rooms in the Somerset Levels. Luxury bedrooms have a decadent feel and some feature four poster beds, rolltop bath tubs & original fireplaces. The restaurant serves a daily changing gourmet three course menu. Perfect rural escapeCountry Escape - A grown up getaway in this indulgent manor house, set in gorgeous parkland with cosy interiors and a laid back vibesLocal markets - Check out the local artisan food producers, Pitney Farm Shop, Brown & Forrest Smokery and the Somerset Distillery.Great walks - The seven acres of stunning parkland make for easy pretty walking.Birdwatching - Search for grey herons in the wetlands of the Somerset Levels.Recommended by - I Escape
The Castle Hotel, Somerset 44 rooms from £160Taunton, Somerset
Since the 12th Century this Norman Fortress has opened its doors to travelers with immaculate hospitality and spectacular countryside spot. Comfortable, classically decorated rooms offer all the mod-cons. BRAZZ, the contemporary brasserie and locally popular Bow Restaurant offers a range of dishes.Families - A great family stay, babysitting is available and the kids will love the novelty of staying in a castle with a moat to boot!Great walks - The nearby Hestercombe Gardens are recommended from those that know the area, plus the hotel will pack you a lunch.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Johansens