- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
- ✓ Save time, save money
Somerset's Best Pubs with Rooms
Somerset is definitely one of the English idyll counties, with green and pleasant pastoral landscapes, the contained ruggedness of Exmoor, the dramatic caves and rock formations around Cheddar (and the cheese), wonderfully Georgian Bath and lively, historic Bristol. And of course Somerset is known for its cider, so what better way to experience this peaceful county then in one of Somerset’s best pubs with rooms.
Narrowing down Somerset’s best pubs with rooms was a tricky task, our Gurus had to enjoy the well-stocked bar of ex-hunting lodge, The Devonshire Arms , and the elegant, gourmet offerings of The Queen’s Arms. They had to experience pretty towns and wonderful views of the moors, genteel National Trust treasures and the historic pleasures of Bath and Wells, plus generous helpings of local cheese, ale and cider. But they struggled through, and can now offer excellent recommendations. Because it’s good to know where to drink in Somerset - not that you can go far wrong - but it’s especially good when the place where you drink is also the place you’ll be laying your head.
Somerset’s Best Pubs with Rooms
Somerset’s Best Pubs with Rooms for Walkers
- Once a hunting lodge, The Devonshire Arms overlooks Langport’s village green and offers nine light and contemporary rooms, as well as a great locally sourced restaurant and a well-stocked bar.
- The Carpenter’s Arms is a row of converted miners cottages with 12 rooms, a restaurant and a courtyard garden where you can enjoy real ales and unfussy food. The rooms are neutrally decorated and you’re close to Wookey Hole and Wells Cathedral.
- The Crown in Exford, within the Exmoor National Park, is a 17th century coaching inn with 16 rather grand rooms decorated with antiques and ornate fabrics. The pub serves real ale and traditional pub grub, and there’s a surprising three acres of grounds, including a trout stream.
Somerset’s Most Romantic Pubs with Rooms
- The Red Lion Inn is in pretty Babcary, around 45minutes from Bath and right in the heart of Somerset. The roof is thatched, the six rooms have been individually decorated and there’s smart linens and toiletries. There’s also an award-winning restaurant with a menu which changes daily.
- The Queen’s Arms in Corton Denham is a quintessentially English, Georgian inn with eight comfortable and elegant rooms and well priced gourmet food. There are some great walking trails nearby, plus several notable National Trust properties.
- The Swan in Wedmore is a small gourmet pub-with-rooms in a charming village. The rooms are pretty luxurious with huge stand-alone bathtubs and every mod. con., and the menu is by Tom Black from the River Cottage.
Somerset’s Best Value Pubs with Rooms
- The White Hart in Somerton is a charming gastro-pub with six beautifully decorated rooms - and one suite - and great food. Expect lots of natural light, a lovely dining area and a big garden. Great for families or for couples, and rooms start from around £70 per night.
- The Talbot Inn in Frome is a charming village pub with eight country chic rooms and a friendly feel. Rooms start from around £90 per night.
If you haven’t found your idea of Somerset’s best pubs with rooms on our Guru’s list you could:
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Somerset,
- expand your search to include the best pubs with rooms in Dorset,
- or all the best pubs with rooms in the South West,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Somerset’s Best Pubs with Rooms
The Crown 16 rooms from £105Exford, Somerset
This 17th century former coaching inn is ideally situated for the rugged terrain of Exmoor. The surprisingly grand rooms are decorated with antique pieces like Empire style armchairs, dark woods and ornate fabrics. The restaurant, serving real ales and traditional pub grub is one of the highlights.Great walks - Exmoor has some of the most beautiful moorlands in the country, the UK's highest cliffs and rugged coastlines - take your pick!Fishing - Hidden amongst this property's 3 acre grounds is a trout stream.Full of characterTraditionalRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
The Carpenter's Arms 12 rooms from £105Somerset
This chocolate box property, a collection of converted miner's cottages is located down a quiet lane in the Somerset village of Stanton Wick. Rooms are decorated in a neutral decor with cream walls and earthy fabrics. There is a restaurant with a courtyard garden serving unfussy food and real ales.Sights nearby - The Wookey Hole Caves and Wells Cathedral are a short drive away.Fishing - Go fly fishing on the Chew Lakes.Full of characterGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
The Queen's Arms 8 rooms from £125Corton Denham, Somerset
Quintessentially English Georgian Inn nestled in the Dorset/Somerset countryside welcomes guests with winter fires, bare boards and comfortable rooms. Enjoy the Moor Queen’s on tap and extremely enjoyable food. A little country treasure, with great walks from the front door.Foodies - They rear their own pigs, sell their own eggs, as well as dry-curing and smoking their meats and fish- local, seasonal heaven!Value chic - Well priced elegant rooms with an even better priced gourmet cuisine downstairs, a real find.Sights nearby - National Trust properties close by include King Alfred Tower, Lytes Cary, Tintinhull House, Forde Abbey and Montacute House.Great walks - For a lovely long walk Macmillan and Monarch ways are close by, plus the pub will pack your lunch.Recommended by - Sawdays
The Talbot Inn 8 rooms from £95Frome, Somerset
Charming village pub run by a proven team. Friendly local feel backed up by excellent food for all ages. Bedrooms are country style with egyptian cotton and siberian goose down duvets. Chillax.Great walks - Good for walkers.TraditionalFour poster beds - For romantics.
The Devonshire Arms 9 rooms from £100Langport, Somerset
This former hunting lodge, overlooking the village green, is an intimate stay for food and nature lovers. Rooms are contemporary and light offering en suite bathrooms. The restaurant prides itself on using only the finest produce and a menu revolving around this, matched with a well-stocked bar.Country Escape - With fantastic gourmet pub food, a fine selection of booze, comfy beds and plenty of outdoor activities.Birdwatching - Witness the yearly starling murmurations, where Somerset starlings flock together over the Levels.Great walks - Get out and explore the coastal walks all along the Somerset Levels.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Sawdays
The Swan from £85Wedmore, Somerset
A gourmet little pub in a charming village with gorgeous rooms. Luxurious rooms have enormous stand alone bath tubs, contemporary furnishings and DVD players. Fabulous restaurant and acclaimed chef. The perfect spot for a romantic jaunt in the Somerset countryside.Foodies - Fantastic food from River Cottage's Tom Blake.Value chicSights nearby - The medieval cathedral in Wells.Great walks - Mendip Hills to the north.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Red Lion Inn 6 rooms from £90Babcary, Somerset
Traditional thatched country pub in the heart of Somerset. Six individually designed rooms with super comfy beds, smart linen and toiletries. Award winning food with daily changing menus. Great location for exploring the area and just 50 mins from Bath. Perfect for a country escape.Sights nearby - Great base for exploring the surrounds including Glastonbury Tor and Lytes Cary Manor. Only 50 mins from Bath.Full of characterLocal markets - Good for local colour.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Sawdays
The White Hart 7 rooms from £71Somerton, Somerset
A charming gastro pub with impeccably decorated rooms and fantastic food. Rooms and one suite attractively furnished with lots of natural light and luxurious bedding. Lovely dining area and bar, big garden, lots to do in the surrounds. Ideal for couples or families.Sights nearby - Glastonbury Abbey.Fishing - Viaduct fishery.TraditionalRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith