- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
Somerset’s Most Romantic Hotels
Somerset’s peaceful, rural charms of hedgerows, fields and pretty villages is a perfect English countryside escape. While elegant Bath offers history and culture - as well as more picturesque views, atmospheric Wells has the grand cathedral and the cathedral-esque caves and gorges, Bristol has bustle and Glastonbury is just Glastonbury. Each of these faces of Somerset is romantic in its own way, it’s just a matter of what kind of romance you’re thinking of.
Whatever you’re thinking our Guru’s list of Somerset’s most romantic hotels will have something for you. From Georgian gorgeousness in Bath to rural escapes on Exmoor, or something sedate round Yeovil or a Normal castle in Taunton, we’ve searched out the most charming and magical of properties to help you have an extra special break with the one you love.
Somerset’s Most Romantic Hotels
Somerset’s Most Romantic Special Occasion Hotels
- The Gainsborough Bath Spa is where you should stay if you really want the full Bath Spa experience: its world class spa takes full advantage of those famous waters with modern therapies and classic, personalised treatments. The hotel is a Grade II listed building with Georgian and Victorian facades and luxurious, elegant interiors. There are 99 rooms, plus a fine restaurant, a chic bar and a beautiful afternoon tearoom.
- The Castle Hotel, Taunton, is a Normal Fortress which has been operated as an inn or hotel since the 12th century. The location is spectacular and the 44 rooms are comfortable and classically decorated, but with all the mod. cons., don’t be put off by the age. There’s a choice of formal dining or something a bit more relaxed.
Romantic Rural Somerset Escapes
- Little Barwick House by Yeovil is an award-winning restaurant with six rooms, surrounded by three acres of beautiful gardens. Unpretentious and relaxing, Little Barwick is a delicious hideaway close to some lovely historic houses and offering unbeatable service.
- Cross Lane House, in Exmoor National Park, is a charming B&B with three beautifully decorated rooms and elegant decor. The food is excellent and the whole experience is comfortable and welcoming.
- The Queen’s Arms is a quintessentially English Georgian era inn in Corton Denham. There are just eight rooms, and a wonderful cosy pub serving locally sourced food - including their own eggs and pigs - plus you’re right by some exquisite National Trust properties and plenty of walking trails.
Romantic Somerset Hotels with Hot Tubs
- Harington’s Hotel is a great value hotel in the centre of Bath - in fact you’re the closest hotel to the Thermae Baths, down cobbled Queen Street. There’s no restaurant, but there’s plenty to choose from around you, and as well as being a good spot for a romantic break it’s also great for families. You can hire the courtyard hot tub by the hour.
- Babington House is a stunning country house near Frome with beautiful grounds and a luxurious bar, restaurant, spa and cinema. It’s a country cousin to London’s Soho House, so expect the same stylish decor and exceptional staff. The Wood Cabin has a private hot tub.
- The Grand, Bristol is a traditional chain hotel, which we don’t normally include, but The Grand is an historic part of Bristol’s fabric, which has hosted an array of stars and turned The Rolling Stones away from the restaurant because they weren’t properly attired. There’s a fine spa and gym and the location is amazing.
If those properties appeal to you why not check out our Guru’s full collection of hotels with hot tubs in Somerset.
Somerset’s Most Affordable Romantic Hotels
- Bath’s Kennard is a charming Georgian townhouse just minutes from Pulteney Bridge and the Roman Baths. There are 12 rooms, a splendid, chandelier-decked dining room - which is also where they serve breakfast - and a Jane Austen inspired garden. Children over eight are welcome.
- The Devonshire Arms in Langport, near Glastonbury, is a hunting lodge turned pub overlooking the village green. There are nine rooms and a fantastic gourmet pub menu. This is a great spot for walkers and anyone who loves the romance of outdoor pursuits.
- The Archangel is a chic and sophisticated restaurant with ten rooms in Frome. The decor mixes the original and contemporary and there are exposed beams, freestanding baths and some beautiful frescoes. The restaurant is definitely part of the experience and has a lovely sunny courtyard.
If you haven’t found your idea of Somerset’s most romantic hotels on our Guru’s list you could:
- Consult our Ultimate Guide to the Most Romantic Hotels in the UK,
- browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Somerest,
- or our Guru’s collection of hotels with hot tubs in Somerset,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Somerset’s Most Romantic Hotels
The Gainsborough Bath Spa 99 rooms from $332Bath
A one of a kind thermal spa hotel in the heart of Bath. Each bedroom is elegantly decorated with period details and contemporary features. Luxurious bedding and modern appliances provide extra comfort. The hotel has a fine restaurant, chic bar and a pleasant afternoon tea lounge.Spa breaks - Tapping into Bath's original thermal springsWellbeing - An extensive range of personalised therapiesTotal relaxation - Specialist aquatic body therapiesGreat walks - Bowood House and Gardens nearby
The Castle Hotel, Somerset 44 rooms from $208Taunton, Somerset
Since the 12th Century this Norman Fortress has opened its doors to travelers with immaculate hospitality and spectacular countryside spot. Comfortable, classically decorated rooms offer all the mod-cons. BRAZZ, the contemporary brasserie and locally popular Bow Restaurant offers a range of dishes.Families - A great family stay, babysitting is available and the kids will love the novelty of staying in a castle with a moat to boot!Great walks - The nearby Hestercombe Gardens are recommended from those that know the area, plus the hotel will pack you a lunch.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Johansens
Little Barwick House 6 rooms from $158Yeovil, Somerset
An award-winning restaurant with rooms set in three-acres of beautiful Somerset gardens. This unpretentious property is intimate and relaxing, with comfortable rooms and hideaway qualities. Enjoy the wine list and delicious, seasonal dishes on offer. A great place to explore English countryside.Exclusive offer - Midweek SparklerFoodies - They have won a Double Gold Award from 2014 Taste of The West Awards, not to mention the extensive winelist.Total relaxation - Wonderful food, charming rooms and unbeatable service ensure you will leave refreshed.Sights nearby - Plenty of historic houses in the area including Minterne, Mapperton House and Gardens & Sherborne Abbey.Great walks - Explore the 3 acres of beautiful mature gardens, or ask your hosts about walks further afield.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Harington's Hotel 13 rooms from $115Bath
Excellent value town centre hotel a stone's throw from the best that Bath has to offer. No restaurant, but in this city there's plenty of choice elsewhere. Great for families and those on a budget.Private Hot Tub - You can hire the courtyard hot tub by the hour for private usage.Sights nearby - Closest hotel to the Thermae Spa
The Queen's Arms 8 rooms from $163Corton Denham, Somerset
Quintessentially English Georgian Inn nestled in the Dorset/Somerset countryside welcomes guests with winter fires, bare boards and comfortable rooms. Enjoy the Moor Queen’s on tap and extremely enjoyable food. A little country treasure, with great walks from the front door.Foodies - They rear their own pigs, sell their own eggs, as well as dry-curing and smoking their meats and fish- local, seasonal heaven!Value chic - Well priced elegant rooms with an even better priced gourmet cuisine downstairs, a real find.Sights nearby - National Trust properties close by include King Alfred Tower, Lytes Cary, Tintinhull House, Forde Abbey and Montacute House.Great walks - For a lovely long walk Macmillan and Monarch ways are close by, plus the pub will pack your lunch.Recommended by - Sawdays
Cross Lane House 3 rooms from $195Somerset
Picturesque and quaint, Cross Lane House is a charming B&B amidst the rolling beauty of Exmoor National Park. Individually decorated rooms have a homely, welcoming feel with comfortable beds and elegant decor. Sample delicious seasonal recipes in the hotel's restaurant. A stellar Somerset stay.Country Escape - Escape to Exmoor National Park - a place of natural beautyLocal exploring - Plenty of areas to explore within driving distanceGreat walks - Excellent walking in the surrounding Exmoor National Park.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Dunster Castle.
Babington House 32 rooms from $378Nr Frome, Somerset
Stunning country house and grounds. Immaculately chic interiors. Understated elegance and five-star luxury. Bar, restaurant, spa, and cinema.Private Hot Tub - The Wood Cabin features an outdoor hot tubSpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Kiwi Collection
The Kennard 12 rooms from $143Bath
A charming Georgian townhouse in the heart of Bath, minutes from the sights. The hotel stays true to its history with ornate decor and a pretty Jane Austen inspired garden. A splendid breakfast is served in the chandelier decked dining room. Perfection, at a very reasonable price.Local markets - Nearby Pulteney Bridge is one of a handful of historic bridges in the world with shops built into it.Great walks - Guests are welcome to take a stroll in the lovely Georgian Garden.Sights nearby - Just minutes from the Roman baths and Thermae Spa.Restrictions on children - Children over eight years are welcome.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
The Devonshire Arms 9 rooms from $124Langport, Somerset
This former hunting lodge, overlooking the village green, is an intimate stay for food and nature lovers. Rooms are contemporary and light offering en suite bathrooms. The restaurant prides itself on using only the finest produce and a menu revolving around this, matched with a well-stocked bar.Country Escape - With fantastic gourmet pub food, a fine selection of booze, comfy beds and plenty of outdoor activities.Birdwatching - Witness the yearly starling murmurations, where Somerset starlings flock together over the Levels.Great walks - Get out and explore the coastal walks all along the Somerset Levels.Lively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Sawdays
Archangel 10 rooms from $130Frome, Somerset
A chic and sophisticated restaurant with rooms in the quaint town of Frome. Contemporary rooms still feature exposed beams and stone yet new frescoes and freestanding baths now hold centre stage. A wonderfully renovated restaurant serves exemplary cuisine. Great for a weekend away.Foodies - A trendy restaurant serving up excellent local cuisine in an old hay barn, with French windows leading out to a sunny courtyard.Sights nearby - Visit Stourhead and wander around its pretty gardens and surrounding forests that house Alfred's Tower.Great walks - A perfect base for exploring the charming historic market town of Frome.Full of character