Search the best hotels in Warwickshire
If Shakespeare hadn’t been born here Warwickshire would certainly need to plan a different marketing campaign, because its link to the bard is everywhere. But even without his wit and wisdom, Warwickshire has plenty to offer. Our collection of the best places to stay in Warwickshire ranges from charming pubs with rooms, to smart, Georgian townhouses, to a handful of traditional country inns and country house hotels, all of which are ideal bases for exploring the county.
For many the main thing to do here is to see a play at the RSC, but for others, they come to admire the castles and the rolling, green surrounds. Stratford-Upon-Avon really is unmissable, but the Regency and Georgian architecture of Royal Leamington Spa is worth a visit too.
Where to stay? Which Part of Warwickshire?
- Warwick is a good central base if you want to explore the whole county. But there's plenty to see and do in the town too. It's home to the stunning Warwick Castle, and there's plenty of history here dating back even further to satisfy most culture vultures. There's a good selection of restaurants, bars and cafes and the centre of town is full of quirky, independent shops. The busy Saturday market should not be missed.
- Stratford-Upon-Avon is the only place to stay for Shakespeare fans. All the beautifully preserved half timbered buildings help to add to the town's charm and encourage in the crowds. But in addition to the world class offerings of the Royal Shakespeare Company, the beautifully kept museums and Tudor buildings dating from his lifetime, Stratford upon Avon is also a lively little market town and a good base for exploring the Cotswolds.
- Royal Leamington Spa is a spa town that came to prominence in the 18th and 19th centuries, and today it’s still known for its waters, but also for its Georgian and Regency architecture, which sprang up in its heyday. Leamington’s popularity meant that glamorous shops opened here, and they haven’t really left, so it’s still a good place to shop.
- Rugby is a market town with a famous school, and a sport named after both the school and the town. These days it’s become a bit of a pilgrimage site for lovers of the game, and if that’s why you’re here you’ll want to visit the William Webb Ellis statue, which is outside Rugby School: William is credited as inventing the game. Rugby also has several impressive churches and several rugby and football museums. And it’s surrounded by beautiful nature reserves.
- Shipston-on-Stour is infused with all the charm of the Cotswolds without being marred by the maddening crowds. It's a market town, with cosy pubs and lots of independent shops, and restaurants, but it’s also charmingly surrounded by rolling green hills, and it’s only eight miles from Stratford-upon-Avon, and not far from Warwick Castle, so an excellent place to base yourself to explore further afield.
- That funny saying about being ‘sent to Coventry’ fails totally to take into account how pretty Coventry still is. Yes, it was famously heavily bombed by the Luftwaffe, but the part of the medieval city that remains is very pretty, and the some of the post-war rebuild was very exciting for its time. The haunting remains of Coventry’s original St Michael’s Cathedral, now just the outer walls and surprisingly, the spire, are juxtaposed with the new one, which was built next door. The cathedrals are one of the city’s best known landmarks, and an incredible place to visit. It’s UK City of Culture in 2021, which has meant an injection of capital for local arts organisations too, so there’s a lot going on.
- Kenilworth’s main draw is wonderfully atmospheric ruin of Kenilworth Castle. Kenilworth Abbey is another beautiful local ruin, set in expansive Abbey Fields, and the town has a really pretty cluster of old buildings too, many of them now shops.
This county is a popular year round destination for visitors, so if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Warwickshire, get organised and plan ahead.
The Best Places to Stay in Warwickshire
For a Country House Hotel
- Coombe Abbey is a magnificent country house hotel, converted from a Cistercian abbey built in the 12th century. It might not sound grand, or large, but it is, with 119 rooms and suites, many acres of grounds in the surrounding country park, and an elegant courtyard, with a garden bar. The rooms offer traditional luxuries, like four-poster beds, rich brocades and heavy drapes.
- Mallory Court is a beautifully converted stately manor just outside Leamington Spa. This is the perfect spot for a spa break, or a relaxing mini-break. There are 43 rooms and suites, miles of country strolls to take, and there’s a 3AA Rosette restaurant and beautiful gardens to enjoy too.
- Brownsover Hall is a beautiful, Grade II listed, Victorian Gothic mansion set on seven acres of its own private parkland close to the Swift Valley Nature Reserve near Rugby. Inside the house has been beautiful dressed, and it boasts dramatic interiors, like sweeping staircases, beamed ceilings, four-poster beds, tapestries, and open fireplace. There’s also an excellent restaurant and a cute little bar with a Highland theme.
- Close to both the Cotswolds and Stratford-upon-Avon,The George Townhouse in Shipston on Stour is an historic townhouse recently revamped into a smart 16 room hotel. The decor is elegant and romantic, with a blue and grey colour scheme, and there’s a cosy lounge bar and an excellent menu. This is a great base for exploring ‘Shakespeare Country’, but off the tourist trail enough to get some peace.
- In the timber-framed heart of Stratford-upon-Avon, the Church Street Townhouse is a 12 room hotel with a boutique feel, and recently renovated rooms with baths on pedestals and bold statement wallpaper. The hotel has a bar and bistro which are popular with locals too.
- The Bower House (also in Shiptson) is a chic restaurant with five rooms, decorated with Farrow and Ball colours and House of Hackney fabrics. The rooms all have Nespresso machines, Roberts radios and retro phones, as well as individually chic details. And the restaurant is fantastic.
Warwickshire’s Best Country Inns
- Set amidst a rolling Warwickshire landscape just outside Stratford-upon-Avon, The Bell at Alderminster is a charming country house hotel/gastro-pub with rooms. Its nine rooms are all decorated differently, but all with muted contemporary colours and plenty of simple style, and most importantly impressive views. Eat very well, outdoors if you can, or in the hotel’s atmospheric dining room.
- The Fuzzy Duck is a high-end gastropub in Armscote, which is a charming little village well positioned between Stratford and the Cotswolds. The restaurant and pub are the main event, complete with an elegant outdoor space with a deck, a pleasant garden, and a fire-pit. There are just four rooms, all decorated differently, but all reflecting a contemporary country charm. This is a great place for a weekend away.
- The Arden Hotel is right in the centre of Stratford-Upon-Avon, just opposite the Royal Shakespeare Company Theatre, so there’s plenty of atmosphere in the bar and bar terrace of an evening. The decor is chic and contemporary, with plenty of original features to charm you.
- If you’re a fan of contemporary chic, the Hotel du Vin Stratford Upon Avon is probably a good choice. Converted from an Edwardian, red brick building, there are 46 rooms and suites, and the ubiquitous top-notch French bistro and impressive bar decorated with wine. The location is great and the rooms are stylish.
- Ardencote is a countryside hotel with a fabulous spa, luxurious bedrooms, two award-winning restaurants, an indoor and outdoor pool, and an 18 hole golf course. We challenge your family not to find something fun to do in the hotel’s grounds, but the location makes a great base too. There are 110 spacious rooms and suites, which feature four-poster beds, separate lounge areas and lake views.
For an Historic Hotel
- The White Swan Inn is an historic hotel in Stratford-upon-Avon. Beautifully restored, including an impressive mural which dates from 1450, there are 41 rooms and suites, and an atmospheric, and well regarded, wood panelled restaurant known for its excellent Modern British fare.
- 400 years old isn’t particularly historic in this part of the world, but The Howard Arms certainly has an historic feel about it. Positioned on a village green overlooking the Stour Valley, this old inn has just eight rooms, all individually decorated with a mix of traditional features and contemporary comforts. And downstairs the pub and restaurant are a village hub, as well as a welcoming hub for the hotel.
- The Old Kiln House is a delightful B&B, converted from a beautiful historic building in Shipston on Stour. The three rooms have been decorated to retain their original features, like beamed ceilings and bare-brick walls, and there’s a lovely courtyard too. Perfectly located between Stratford and the Cotswolds.
For great value
- The Red Lion Inn is a traditional Cotswold inn, in a picturesque village, both with plenty of charm. There are only five rooms, all of them cosily situated above the excellent pub and restaurant, and decorated with parquet floors, deep set windows and gingham fabrics. Downstairs there are open fires and a warm atmosphere too.
- If you’re looking for great value in Warwick, and in the heart of Warwick too, check out The Globe, a stylish, 16 room hotel/pub. This is the sort of place that does a few things and does them well, from the atmospheric pub with a delicious menu, to the chicly, yet simply, styled rooms and suites.
Prefer an apartment or holiday cottage?
- If you’d prefer to stay in a holiday cottage or private apartment we recommend you visit our online partner, booking.com.
- Warwickshire is easy to reach from London by train, with direct services to Warwick and Coventry. If you’re entering the UK the closest international airport is Birmingham. London’s airports aren’t far away either, though.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Warwickshire has the same variable weather as the rest of the UK, so if you’re looking for mild weather then you need to visit during the summer months. A lot of visitors have the same idea, though, so this is the busiest time too.
Still not sure?
- Refine your search to just the best places to stay in Stratford-Upon-Avon, or the best places to stay in Shipston-on-Stour;
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in the Cotswolds or the best places to stay in Oxfordshire
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Monthly Weather in Warwickshire
Best Hotels in Warwickshire
The Red Lion Inn Warwickshire 5 rooms from £60Country Escape - Find cosy fireplaces, hearty pub food and snug rooms in a picturesque Cotswolds village.Restaurant - Serving delicious seasonal food which has been awarded one AA RosetteSights nearby - Visit the nearby prehistoric stone circle - the Roll Right Stones.Great walks - Miles of scenic walking trails start from the village itself.Recommended by - Sawdays
A charming Cotswold inn offering cosy rooms and an excellent restaurant, traditional throughout. Unwind by an open fire, sample local craft ales and feast on British pub fare. Rooms are equally appealing with parquet floors, deep set windows and gingham fabrics. An ideal rural escape. See More
The Globe Warwick, Warwickshire 16 rooms from £70Local exploring - Right in the heart of Warwick, it's perfect for exploring the town's historic charms.Great walks - Go for a lovely walk in St. Nicholas's Park.Sights nearby - Ten minutes walk from Warwick Castle.Restaurant - Recommended.
The White Swan Hotel Stratford upon Avon (Stratford-upon-Avon) 41 rooms from £98Local exploring - A historic hotel in a historic market-town. Find yourself within walking distance of many of the areas best sights.Theatre - Watch the famed Royal Shakespeare Company perform in their own theatre.Sights nearby - Visit the house where the world’s most famous playwright - Shakespeare - was born and grew up.Restaurant - There's a wide range of food on offer from pre-theatre menus to a la carte dining
An historic hotel situated in the pretty market town of Stratford-upon-Avon. Beautifully restored, the property has kept its original charm, including a mural dating back to 1450. An atmospheric wood panelled restaurant serves up superlative British fare. A charming stay. See More
The Bell at Alderminster Stratford upon Avon (Alderminster) 9 rooms from £100Local exploring - A great base for exploring the countryside surrounding Stratford-upon-Avon.Great walks - The surrounding countryside has beautiful walking routes.Sights nearby - Visit the Shakespeare Birthplace Trust.Restaurant - Recommended.
The George Townhouse Shipston on Stour 16 rooms from £110Value chic - The perfect place to stay while exploring Shakespeare country, slightly off the tourist trail it is much more reasonably priced!Romantic Break - A charming and romantic townhouse hotel with elegant furnishings, excellent food, welcoming atmosphere and a cosy bar.Sights nearby - Anne Hathaway's fascinating house (Shakespeare's wife) is ten miles away.Romantic - Good for couples.
Fresh off a new renovation in 2016, the historic George Townhouse has been revamped into plush, luxurious hotel. The rooms are elegantly designed with comfortable furniture and warm blue and grey colour scheme. On a cold day, seek refuge in the lounge bar and warm yourself by the fire. See More
Howard Arms Ilmington, The Cotswolds 8 rooms from £110Value chic - With rooms from as little as £115 per night including breakfast, the Howard Arms is excellent value.Local exploring - Shakespeare’s Stratford is just 8 miles away, plus there's the whole of the Cotswolds to the South.Great walks - There are plenty of great walks in the surrounding area, many you can access right from the pub.Restaurant - The restaurant has been awarded one AA rosette and serves classic British cuisine.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Pretty and charming 400 year old stone-built inn overlooking the Stour Valley on the village green. Eight individually designed bedrooms offer a charming mix of contemporary comforts and traditional features. The bar and restaurant are convivial, laid back and not to be missed! See More
Church Street Townhouse Stratford upon Avon (Warwickshire) 12 rooms from £110Great walks - The Cotwswolds, a haven for ramblers are close by or why not embark on one of Stratford's walking tours.Sights nearby - Visit the birthplace of the bard and many of his family homes including the popular Mary Arden's Farm.Sailing - Take a long boat down the River Avon.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Good Hotel Guide
In the heart of the bustling, timber framed Stratford you will find this beautifully restored hotel. Rooms have a modern twist on classic boutique style with bold statement wallpapers and smart en suite bathrooms. Downstairs there's a good bar and gourmet bistro popular amongst locals. See More
Mallory Court Royal Leamington Spa, Warwickshire 43 rooms from £114Spa breaks - A beautiful manor house with an extensive spa, perfect for an indulgent weekend away.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of beautiful walking trails.Sights nearby - Three miles from Warwick Castle.Secluded setting - For escaping.
Hotel du Vin Stratford upon Avon Stratford upon Avon (Stratford-upon-Avon) 46 rooms from £115Local exploring - Ideally placed a short walk from the shopping streets and 10 minutes’ to the riverside Royal Shakespeare TheatreGreat walks - Anne Hathaway's Garden - 9 acres of gardens and grounds including a lavender maze, a woodland walk and the Shakespeare arboretumSights nearby - Discover numerous sights nearby including Shakespeare's Schoolroom, Hall's Croft, Shakespeare's Birthplace and the Guild ChapelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
An Edwardian red-brick townhouse featuring plush velveteen upholstery, contemporary art and a trendy palette of midnight blues and charcoal greys. Rooms are hip and cosy with statement wallpapers and sumptuous woollen throws. The top-notch French bistro cuisine is also not to be missed! See More
The Fuzzy Duck Armscote, Warwickshire 4 rooms from £120Sights nearby - Catch a play at The Royal Shakespeare Theatre or visit one of Shakespeare's family homes.Great walks - The miles and miles of scenic Cotswolds walking paths are worth exploring.Sailing - Take a canal boat ride down the River Avon.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Sawdays
Brownsover Hall Rugby, Warwickshire from £129Country Escape - Set in 7 acres and close to Swift Valley Nature Reserve, this is a truly relaxing escape.Sights nearby - Take a trip to Coventry and visit the modern Coventry Cathedral and see the ruins of the bombed former cathedral.Great walks - There are lovely walks within the grounds. Local nature reserve close by.Restaurant - Modern British cuisine.
Beautiful Grade II listed Victorian Gothic mansion set in 7 acres of parkland. Rooms are spacious, traditionally dressed and comfortable - some have beamed ceilings. The interior is dramatic with a sweeping staircase and open fires. Superb restaurant and an atmospheric bar. A great place to relax. See More
The Old Kiln House Shipston on Stour 3 rooms from £130Local exploring - Perfect for exploring Shipston and the surrounding Warwickshire countryside.Theatre - Take in a play at the Royal Shakespeare Theatre in Stratford.Sights nearby - Take a day trip to Stratford-upon-Avon, home of William Shakespeare.Great walks - There are great walking routes in the nearby Cotswolds.
Tucked between Stratford-upon-Avon and the Cotswolds, The Old Kiln House is a delightful B&B in Shipston. Set in a beautiful historic building, the guesthouse offers lovely rooms that have retained beautiful original features such as wooden beams and exposed brick walls. A Warwickshire gem. See More
Ardencote Warwick, Warwickshire 110 rooms from £140Country Escape - In a beautiful and peaceful setting with landscaped gardens and lake views, 40 minute drive away from BirminghamSpa breaks - Offers an elegant spa with modern spaces for treatments and caters to special diet menus as wellLocal markets - The Hatton Shopping Village located close by has 20 shops and two restaurantsSights nearby - The Warwick Castle and Shakespeare's Houses are a must visit
A countryside hotel with a fabulous spa, luxurious bedrooms, two award-winning restaurants, an indoor and outdoor pool and an 18 hole golf course. Spacious suites include capacious fourposter beds, a separate lounge area and lake views. A perfect getaway to rejuvenate yourself. See More
The Bower House Shipston on Stour 5 rooms from £149Foodies - Boasting a fabulous restaurant that uses excellent local produce to create beautifully simple dishes.Sights nearby - Make a trip to Broadway Tower, a historic folly offering spectacular views from the top.Local markets - Stroll through the bustling Moreton in Marsh Outdoor Market.Full of character
Coombe Abbey Coventry, Warwickshire 119 rooms from £175Country Escape - Set in a former 12th century abbey surrounded by parkland it's perfect for a country getaway.Great walks - Make the most of the beautiful walking routes in the surrounding country park.Sights nearby - Visit nearby castles such Kenilworth Castle and Warwick Castle.Opulent
A magnificent country hotel, packed with history both inside and outside. A former 12th century Cistercian abbey, the hotel bears the hallmarks of bygone times with lavish rooms dominated by marvellous, ornate beds. Enjoy high tea in the garden bar or browse the stunning grounds. A rural gem. See More
The Arden Hotel Stratford upon Avon (Stratford-upon-Avon) from £187ElegantGreat walks - With The Cotswolds in striking distance the quintessential british countryside is waiting to be exploredSights nearby - Explore the years of history in Warwick CastleTraditionalRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Small Luxury Hotels
Set in the centre of the historical town of Stratford-Upon-Avon. Rooms are spacious yet cosy with crisp cotton sheets and luxurious throws. The Royal Shakespeare Company Theatre is just opposite so the bar and terrace are full of atmosphere. Don't forget the Cotswolds are on your doorstep..Perfect! See More