- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Save time, save money
Search the best hotels in Bar Harbor
About Bar Harbor
Mt. Desert Island’s beautiful rugged coastline and dramatic interior was the inspiration for 19th Century artists Thomas Cole and Frederic Church, whose paintings then inspired people to visit. By the turn of the century, Bar Harbor was one of America’s most dreamed about summer resorts. Today the best places to stay in Bar Harbor are still those with the best artist’s view. And cutely, our Guru’s seems to include only wonderfully traditional wooden structures painted in shades of blue.
What Not To Miss
- Now on the cruise ship route, Bar Harbor can be quite busy and the downtown area has plenty of souvenir stores, cafes and ice cream parlours - but it’s not so busy to have lost its charm.
- It's very easy to book sailing trips, try sea kayaking, do some whale watching, schedule in some rock-climbing, or just enjoy yourself in the evenings in the bars and restaurants.
- Just outside town is the Acadia National Park, with its wonderful landscapes, both strange - like Bubble Rock, and ordered - like the Wild Gardens of Acadia. The geological diversity of this place is astounding. Here you’ll find thick woodland, sheer granite cliffs and remote, placid lakes in lush valleys.
- Enjoy a taste and a tour of the local vintage at the Atlantic Brewing Company where visitors are able to enjoying a guided tasting of various different brews.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Bar Harbor is ideally placed to enjoy everything from the great outdoors to the shops, cafes and restaurants.
The best places to stay in Bar Harbor
For the views
- Painted blue and white, Shore Path Cottage is a lovely family run B&B with ten rooms - some with beautiful ocean views. This is a great place for hikers, bikers and those who want to get out on the ocean as the owners will help you make the most of Bar Harbor’s great outdoors.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a selection of quaint properties perfect for exploring this charming town.
- Although Bar Harbor has a small local airport that flies to a few domestic destinations - visitors may be better to fly to the larger Bangor International Airport located 83km (52 miles) from Bar Harbor catering towards more major destinations.
- Or catch a bus - with bus links to Boston during the summer.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the coast - for prices visit our online partner Holiday Autos.
- Best time to visit - the summer from June to August provides typically the warmest weather for enjoying all the outdoor activities on offer.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Bar Harbor
Shore Path Cottage 10 rooms from $145Bar Harbor
A lovely family run B&B in Bar Harbor with ocean views and a large garden. Rooms are large & traditional & there's a homely atmosphere and warm welome. The family will give you all the advice you could possibly want about ocean activities, and hiking & biking in the local national park.Views - The garden and some of the rooms have lovely views of Frenchman's Bay and the spectacular Porcupine IslandsSights nearby - Close to Acadia National ParkGreat walks - Good for walkers.Back to Nature