Search the best hotels in Beaufort
The second-oldest city in South Carolina, Beaufort is a charming enclave of historic houses nestled on Port Royal Island. Popular with romantic couples, culture aficionados and explorers looking to discover the fascinating Gullah culture of the Sea Islands, this is a brilliant destination for a relaxed escape. Accommodation options range from pretty B&Bs to indulgent boutique hotels, catering to a host of tastes and budgets. Our pick of the best places to stay in Beaufort are set within the city’s historic district — a beautiful place for a scenic stroll.
Beaufort’s streets are lined with striking heritage mansions, many of which have been carefully restored and now house attractive galleries, lovely cafés or characterful small hotels. Take the time to amble or cycle past moss-clad buildings on your way to a lively coffee spot or to an eatery specialising in hearty Southern fare. Hotspots for culture-minded visitors include the Pat Conroy Literary Center, named for the legendary South Carolina writer who once lived in Beaufort, and the Santa Elena History Centre, which recounts the stories of the region’s French and Spanish settlers. There are some excellent child-friendly exhibits, too. The four recently-appointed Reconstruction Era National Monuments in Beaufort County are well worth visiting, and there are some fantastic historic walking tours on offer.
Outdoorsy travellers will find heaps of cycling and walking opportunities within Beaufort and on the Sea Islands, as well as the chance to delve into the unique culture of South Carolina's Gullah communities. Out on the water, there’s fishing, kayaking, sailing and paddle boarding to try as a family. The Low Country also boasts intriguing national parks, marshland and rivers filled with birds and wildlife. Round off your evenings with a beer out on the sandbar, or sundowners at Henry C Chambers Waterfront Park before retiring to one of the best places to stay in Beaufort.
The Best Places to Stay in Beaufort
- The Beaufort Inn offers 48 charming rooms, suites and cottages with space for couples, families and groups of friends in a collection of heritage buildings. Explore Beautfort on the inn's bicycles, gather for a party in the leafy gardens, and kick back with s'mores by the fire in the evening. Fun for the whole family.
- Anchorage 1770 is a beautiful waterfront residence with a fascinating 250-year history. Pick this place for an elegant escape, with four-poster beds in stylish rooms, a lively cocktail bar and eatery, and a superb riverside location. Romantic and indulgent.
- The Rhett House Inn features old-school rooms and suites in an enchanting Greek Revival residence and adjoining buildings. Stay here for tranquility, excellent Southern breakfasts and lovely bedrooms with big cosy beds and period touches. A couples' B&B favourite.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Charleston International Airport, 1.5 hours' drive from Beaufort.
- South Carolina is great for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect hot summers, with temperatures of around 30°C between June and September. Travel between March and May or September and November for cooler temperatures and great hotel deals.
STILL NOT SURE?
Best Hotels in Beaufort
The Rhett House Inn Beaufort (South Carolina) 14 rooms from £140Fishing - With literally hundreds of square miles of tide waters and grassy marshes to draw from, fishing possibilities are endless.Great walks - Spanish Moss Trail is a 3.3 mile pedestrian trail open for the enjoyment of bikers, runners, and walkers.Surfing - Surfers are now loving SUP (Stand Up Paddleboard) and you should get with the craze too.Back to Nature - River, marsh land and national parks make up a brilliant weekend surrounded by nature.
The Beaufort Inn Beaufort 47 rooms from £166Weddings - Series of romantic outdoor courtyards, gardens, terraces and rooftops with views offer a perfect space whatever size your eventFamilies - Beauloft is ideal for families with three bedrooms, two bathrooms, full kitchen, dining room, living room and outdoor spaceLocal exploring - Luxurious base from which to explore this charming award-winning small coastal town brimming with Southern hospitalityHoneymoons - Perfect honeymoon material; romantic property which offers plenty of excellent activities and excursions
Luxurious inn located within Beaufort's Landmark Historic District. Made up of rooms, suites, lofts and multi-room self-catered cottages, there are options for every type of stay. Enjoy romantic gardens dotted with fairy lights and fire-pits, an on-site spa and restaurants within walking distance. See More
Anchorage 1770 Beaufort 15 rooms from £242Weddings - Perfect for intimate celebrations with venues including roof terrace, garden with water-front back drop and river-facing porchesRomantic Break - All the ingredients for romantic weekend getaways; waterfront rooms with sea views, four-poster beds & in-room spa treatmentsBack to Nature - The area offers wonderful outdoor activities including fishing, sailing, golf, running, tennis and cyclingSights nearby - Walk or cycle around Beaufort's historic district with its boutiques, art galleries and restaurants
A luxury boutique hotel that boasts being Beaufort's only waterfront inn. The impressive neoclassic mansion was built in 1770; expect high ceilings, spacious verandas, grand beds & historic restaurant. Ideal location offers views of the sea, marina and Beaufort River while walking distance to town. See More