Search the best hotels in Cambria
Coastal Cambria is a classic Californian beach town, brimming with natural beauty. Bordered on one side by the roaring Pacific and by California's world-class wine country on the other, this is a hugely appealing destination for outdoorsy explorers and wine aficionados. Accommodation options are wide-ranging, including simple B&Bs as well as hip boutique hotels with striking sea views. Many of the best places to stay in Cambria are nestled within the town itself, near lively bars and eateries, but some of our favourites lie slightly to the north, along gorgeous Moonstone Beach Drive.
A real Californian road trip haven, Cambria is filled with things to see and do. Surf the waves at Moonstone Beach, hike along the scenic 2-miles of Bluff’s Trail for gorgeous sea views, or follow cycle paths around town as you explore Cambria itself. Peer into antique shops and art galleries, pause for reflection at the Old Santa Rosa Chapel, or catch a lively community show at the Peter Plough Playhouse. There’s a burgeoning crop of trendy bakeries, cafés, wine bars and restaurants, too, ideal for long, laid-back evenings sipping glasses of the good stuff and savouring delicious fresh fare. Don’t miss the chance to tour the region’s famous vineyards, either!
Nearby sites of interest also include extravagant Hearst Castle on The Enchanted Hill, subject of many a local legend, as well as tiny Harmony Town, home to artisanal galleries, gardens and top-notch ice cream. Nature lovers will adore watching elephant seals on the shores of San Simeon, before hiking through spectacular Harmony Headlands State Park — where you can expect some seriously impressive views. Whether you’re here for the surf, the wine or the dramatic landscapes, the best places to stay in Cambria promise a charming seaside escape bathed in Californian sunshine.
The Best Places to Stay in Cambria
For Boutique Chic
- The Rigdon House is a beautiful, blue-painted property just 5 minutes' drive from Moonstone Beach. The 12 chic suites are wonderfully appointed, with a fun coastal vibe, indulgent bathrooms - some of which boast free-standing tubs - and lots of space for everyone in 2-bedroom Family Suites. Highlights include cosying up by the outdoor fire pits with a glass of complimentary local wine. A gorgeous boutique guesthouse.
- Oceanpoint Ranch sprawls across nine acres of verdant grounds, perched alongside the beach and sea. Sophisticated rooms and suites fuse classic ranch elements with a chic, modern vibe. Ideal for romantic couples as well as active families looking to explore the area, there is also a swimming pool and lots of lawn games. Enjoy delicious dishes at The Canteen, the property's funky eatery. Bliss.
- Pelican Inn & Suites is a laid-back hotel with smart, contemporary rooms in a striking oceanfront location, with a family-friendly vibe. Stay here for generous breakfasts, a fabulous heated outdoor pool, and ample opportunity to soak up Cambria's natural wonders. The team are happy to include extra kids' beds and recommend activities around Cambria for visitors of all ages. The sea views are the icing on the cake!
For surf & sea views
- Cambria Beach Lodge promises fun rooms overlooking the ocean on Moonstone Beach Drive. Modelled on the classic Californian road trip experience, the property focuses on surf, wine and using natural materials in an appealing, low-key way. Think bright blue and crisp white interiors, complimentary Linus bikes for cycling around town, and a quirky, romantic feel. Book the Beach House for extra privacy - it's a large suite with its own terrace, perfect for soaking up glorious sunsets. A retro road trip choice.
For a traditional B&B
- J Patrick House is the oldest B&B in Cambria, with seven lovely rooms in a chocolate-box cottage. Expect comfortable beds and roaring fires in rooms named after Irish towns - an homage to the owner's heritage - big hearty breakfasts and a relaxed, small hotel feel. Unwind on the terrace or enjoy access to the pool at a neighbouring property. A great adults-only base for the region's many outdoor activities.
- Fog's End B&B offers three spacious bedrooms in a renovated 130-year-old farmhouse with a picture-perfect white and yellow exterior. Owner-managed, this is a top choice for a tranquil, intimate stay. Think big breakfasts, a well-stocked library and appealing garden views. There are restaurants nearby for lunch and dinner, too.
- The Squibb Houses is an old-school B&B hideaway on one of Cambria's prettiest streets. Pick this place for its retro feel, with wooden beams in two restored buildings dating back to the 1800s, vintage furnishings and beds topped with homemade quilts in nine unique bedrooms. Cosy and charming. Don't miss admiring the owner's antique shop.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to San Luis Obipso County Airport and hop aboard a bus or take a taxi to Cambria. Alternatively, you can fly into Los Angeles International Airport and travel by bus and taxi, though the journey will take longer.
- California is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- A year-round destination, Cambria is especially busy during the summer months. Time your trip for the spring (March - May) or autumn (September - November) for fewer crowds and great hotel offers.
STILL NOT SURE?
Best Hotels in Cambria
The Rigdon House Cambria (California) 12 rooms from £77Back to Nature - A perfect base to learn about the area's abundant wildlife, explore nature reserves, visit local farms or enjoy a beach dayFamilies - The Family Suites are spacious, well-equipped and will provide parents travelling with children with a comfortable stayWine tasting - This is wine country. Visit nearby Stolo Vineyards, Harmony Cellars, Hearst Ranch Winery and Cutruzzola VineyardsSights nearby - Visit Hearst Castle and nature-lovers will really enjoy the Elephant Seal Rookery
Smart guesthouse situated in the charming coastal village of Cambria surrounded by picturesque rural landscapes. Twelve generously-sized suites are all tastefully furnished with nautical colour-schemes and wonderful bathrooms. Enjoy complimentary local wines by the cosy outdoor fire-pit. See More
Pelican Inn & Suites Cambria 48 rooms from £114Fishing - Ask at the hotel about the multitude of fishing opportunities along this beautiful coast.Great walks - Tour the historic lighthouse on the rugged windswept coast just north of Hearst Castle.Sights nearby - The iconic Hearst CastleSwimming Pool - Outdoor.
Oceanpoint Ranch Cambria 61 rooms from £116Beach Life - The incredible ocean-front location, just walking distance from the rooms, means its easy to spend your whole stay at the beachWeddings - Say your vows in front of the Pacific, enjoy a star-filled sky and lawn reception at the hotel's many idyllic wedding venuesLocal exploring - Hit the beach, go wine-tasting, explore nearby San Simeon, take scenic ocean-front hikes or enjoy local wildlifeSights nearby - Visit the vast European-style Hearst Castle, which took over 28 years to build. It's just a 10 minute drive from the propertyRecommended by - Tablet
Boutique ocean-front ranch spread over 9 acres of landscaped grounds. Modern rooms channel upmarket ranch chic with fireplaces, sea-views & a tasteful grey palette. Outdoors there is beach access, a pool, and lawn games. A laid-back relaxed vibe will appeal to romantic weekenders & families alike. See More
White Water Cambria 25 rooms from £129Beach Life - Facing Moonstone Beach, just metres away, a quiet strip of sand offering stunning sunsets well-suited to walksTotal relaxation - Chilled vibe ideal for those looking to simply enjoy uninterrupted downtime, fresh air and killer vistasRomantic Break - Ocean View King rooms offer especially romantic outdoor soaking tubs looking over the oceanSeaviews - Sea views steal the show here. All rooms boast at least a partial ocean viewRecommended by - Tablet
Get away from it all at this idyllic ocean-facing lodge. On-trend contemporary interiors were inspired by Danish modernism; expect pale woods, muted accents and custom furnishings. Spacious rooms offer sea views, space and a zen-like vibe plus there's fab dining. Equal parts soothing and stylish. See More
Cambria Beach Lodge Cambria 25 rooms from £170Sights nearby - Go check out the nearby Hearst Castle, the "gateway to the bohemian culture of Big Sur"Fishing - Find a quiet spot along the coast and spend an afternoon fishingGreat walks - Hike along Bluff's trail, a 2-mile walk along Moonstone BeachSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Tablet
Cambria Beach Lodge is located across the street from Moonstone Beach, Cambria. This quaint stay offers chic, beach-inspired minimalist accommodation livened up with a vibrant array of colours. Kick back on the sun terrace with a tipple and relax! Daily continental breakfasts. Great for couples! See More
Fog's End B&B Cambria (California) 3 rooms from £152Back to Nature - Although no longer a working farm, get back to nature with lovely countryside, plenty of walks, farmshops and sea viewsSights nearby - Visit Hearst Castle, built between 1919 and 1947 by publishing tycoon William Randolph HearstGreat walks - Enjoy ocean views as you walk the trails of nearby Fiscalini Ranch PreserveMinimum Stay - There is a 2 night minimum stay
An owner-run B&B located on the fringes of Cambria town. Formerly a 130-year-old farmhouse and ranch, the property has been converted into 3 pretty rooms, some with sloping rooms and all decorated with repurposed floorboards and antique 1920s furniture. Restaurants are nearby for lunch and dinner. See More
The Squibb Houses Cambria (California) 9 rooms from £156Local exploring - This is a wonderful base to hit the beach, observe wildlife, visit historic sites or simply explore small-town CambriaSights nearby - Visit the extravaganza that is Hearst Castle, built by publishing tycoon William Hearst between between 1919 and 1947Full of characterAdult Only
B&B made up of 2 beautifully restored buildings that date from the 1800s. Located on one of the most pleasant streets in Cambria, the properties feature homely rooms with wood beams and home-made quilts. Relax on a rocking chair on the covered porch or drop into the owner's antique furniture store. See More
Ollalieberry Inn Cambria 9 rooms from £170Back to Nature - Take whale-watching tours, hike in nature reserves, visit farm-shops, walk through wineries and reconnect with natureSights nearby - Visit 20th century Hearst Castle and Piedras Blancas lighthouse which dates from 1572Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Adult Only
Award-winning B&B converted from an 1865 Greek Revival home. Each of the 9 rooms is unique but all feature antiques and fireplaces. Run by a welcoming couple, there is a strong emphasis on hospitality with breakfast and gourmet snacks included. Enjoy the garden, sunny rear porch and creek views. See More
J Patrick House Cambria 7 rooms from £172Country Escape - Live out rural fantasies in this quaint cottage surrounded by Monterey pines and walking distance to nature reserves and the seaSwimming Pool - Guests have access to the outdoor pool at neighboring property, Cambria Pines LodgeCooking classes - Learn more about the home-made cream and cheese made at nearby Stepladder CreamerySights nearby - Visit Piedras Blancas Light House and Hearst Castle
Famous as the first B&B in Cambria, this chocolate-box cottage remains a lovely place to stay. 7 cosy rooms with fireplaces and window seats are all named after Irish towns, inspired by the original owner's heritage. An excellent breakfast, a garden and pool access makes this an all year round hit. See More