Search the best hotels in Connecticut
A small but populous New England state, Connecticut has always punched far above its weight in America’s story. It is, after all, the home of Yale University and the birthplace of Mark Twain and Harriet Beecher Stowe. Visitors to this fascinating state are faced at every turn with evidence of Connecticut’s starring role as a cultural leader of the US. The best places to stay in Connecticut tend to be historic properties with a good dose of Old-World charm. Whether it be a country club setting, a spa hotel or a charming seaside stay, there’s plenty to choose from in our Gurus' collection.
All our Connecticut collections:
Parts of the state are very much in the commuter belt of New York City, other parts are genteel villages and towns, while other parts are full of rolling hills and colourful woods and forests. It’s also a foodie's paradise, particularly renowned for its range of cheeses as well as top quality meat and fruits.
Winters here are long, but the springs are glorious, full of daffodils, azaleas, dogwood, and the state’s flower: mountain laurel.
There’s plenty packed in to these 13000 square kilometres: zoos, museums, art galleries, famous architecture, wildlife, colourful boutiques, theatre-going opportunities, fine dining, riverboats and steam trains. Connecticut has a lot to boast about, and more than enough to keep the visitor engaged and entertained for weeks or months.
Where to stay - which town/region?
- For a weekend escape from New York, head for Litchfield. Filled with charming Georgian houses, it is as if time has stood still here. Surrounded by bucolic countryside, this makes for a perfect getaway.
- For all things coastal, Mystic is a great base. An old port town set on the east coast between New York and Boston. A charming historical stay and an ideal starting point for exploring the tiny islands around Long Island Sound.
- To tap into the history of the region, book a stay in Hartford, the state capital. Home to America's oldest public art museum this is a modern city grounded in history. From theatres to hockey games, there's plenty to keep busy with here.
- New Haven is home to Yale University and is also a great option for a quintessential New England town stay. Set around a pretty green, this is a place filled with heritage and culture.
- While, if it is just some good old fashioned fun you're in search of then pick Bristol which is home to America's oldest theme park or search for Captain Kidd's treasure in Silver Sands State Park on the now uninhabited Charles Island.
- For hiking or mountain biking, choose to stay near Wadsworth Falls State Park and for the waterfalls head to Enders Falls State Park.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Connecticut comprise mainly of beautiful historic inns. But we have a wide selection, with something for all tastes and budgets.
The best places to stay in Connecticut
For salty sea dogs
- Ideally located just where the Mystic River meets Long Island Sound The Whaler’s Inn in Mystic, is the perfect place to sit and watch the boats go by. Full of old world maritime charm, the Whaler’s Inn is testament to Mystic’s 300-plus years as one of New England’s premier fishing and whaling ports.
- Also in Mystic, The Steamboat Inn is a delightful, unpretentious, warm and welcoming place, with fabulous views of the waterborne traffic on this old American waterway.
- For a romantic getaway overlooking the water, we recommend the Inn at Stonington. It has 18 luxuriously appointed, elegant guestrooms many with stunning views. There's no restaurant on site, but it's a short walk to a wide range of award winning eateries, boutiques and galleries.
- Surely one of the best-presented hotels in New England, Winvian Farm, near Litchfield, has everything going for it, including a wonderful back-story that stretches into the 18th Century, via the ingenuity of a single family of owners dedicated to bringing you the most luxurious of stays. Famous for its food as well as its ambiance, Winvian prides itself on healthy organic produce, all presented with a masterly hotelier's touch.
- The Bee and Thistle Inn in Old Lyme, is a prime destination for well-heeled seekers of the finest dining experiences. Its Chestnut Grille and Lounge, with weekly-changing menu, has a great name in these parts. Nestled in the Connecticut River Valley, this beautiful colonial-style mini-mansion offers fresh local and season ingredients from the surrounding area.
For a spa break
- The ideal spot for indulgent and peaceful rejuvenation, Grace Mayflower Inn and Spa is a stunning country resort set in over 50 acres of woodland, with beautifully maintained gardens. A fabulous spa and rich homely furnishings make it the perfect place to chill.
- The Spa at Norwich Inn is a historic hideaway hotel, widely known as a great place to relax, rejuvenate, and renew yourself amid wonderful garden settings. The large, comfortable rooms with private balconies make it a great choice for a romantic weekend, a co-workers outing or a mother-daughter catch-up over spa treatments. It boasts an amazing 37 treatment rooms plus all the usual spa perks, and fitness facilities - all the better to pamper and relax you to the core.
For a country club
- Greenwich, Connecticut is one of the East Coast’s most upmarket communities, so a luxury hotel here has to be something special. Homestead Inn is a place for those who like the finer things in life. Located in the Belle Haven residential area, Homestead has an air of timeless luxury, complemented by a renowned French restaurant, with each room full of art and artefacts, and views onto gorgeous gardens.
- Simsbury 1820 House had a long and distinguished history before becoming a hotel in the 1960s. Now guests get to benefit from the timeless elegance of this New England country inn, with its roaring fires and four poster beds. It offers the best of both worlds in terms of historical ambiance and top level amenities, not to mention delicious food.
For self-catering options we recommend you visit our online partner, Booking.com, where you'll find a wide range to choose from.
- Fly to Bradley International Airport or Tweed New Haven Airport for good domestic and international links. There's also easy train connections from New York to destinations across the state.
- Connecticut has very cold winters and warm summers. Therefore, the best time to visit is in late spring (May - June) and early Autumn (September - October) for the most temperate climate.
- If you want to hire a car we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Take another look at our pick of the best places to stay in Connecticut .
- Expand your search to include New York State.
- Or contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Connecticut
Best Hotels in Connecticut
Whaler's Inn Mystic 48 rooms from £83Sights nearby - Visit the world famous Mystic Seaport Museum of America and the Sea.Fishing - Charter a fishing boat with Blue Venture Fishing.Sailing - Charter a yacht at Argia Mystic Cruises.Lively - Hip and happening.
Made up of five charming Victorian buildings in the historic downtown of Mystic. Each individually decorated room features a range of antique touches, the more plush have fireplaces and deep soaking tubs! Which ever building you choose this is the perfect spot to explore Mystic like a local. See More
Steamboat Inn Mystic 11 rooms from £98Sights nearby - Mystic Seaport , The Museum of America and the Sea and Florence Griswold Museum.Sailing - Charter a sailing boat at Argia Mystic Cruises.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.
Bee and Thistle Inn Old Lyme, Connecticut 10 rooms from £101Great walks - Rocky Neck State Park is about ten minutes away offering beaches, hiking and picnic areas.Sights nearby - Take the ferry across the Connecticut river from Chester to visit Gillette Castle.Spa - Bonne Sante for Bee & Thistle.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
This 16th century Inn has been lovingly maintained over the years, with each generation adding something to the charm. The decor is retro chic, think four poster beds, fire places and floral wallpaper. The perfect location for weddings, spa weekends and gourmet dinning. Prepare to be pampered! See More
Simsbury 1820 House Simsbury, Connecticut 32 rooms from £112Sights nearby - Hill-Stead Museum, Wadsworth Atheneum and Mark Twain House.Views - Great views from hotelFull of characterBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
An elegantly restored B&B overlooking the Farmington Valley. The retro chic rooms feature plush draped fourposters, bold wallpaper, soft tones and quaint antique furnishings. Breakfast is served either in the charming cafe or on the stately veranda. The quintessential New England experience. See More
The Spa at Norwich Inn Norwich, Connecticut 100 rooms from £117Sights nearby - Slater Memorial Museum for art exhibits.Full of characterOutstanding locationBarefoot Luxury - For total relaxation.
Relax, rejuvenate, renew, surrounded by manicured gardens, two pools and spa treatments for days. The large, comfortable rooms have private balconies. Kensington's is classic style meets comfort cuisine. Escape for a romantic weekend, girl’s holiday or a mother-daughter catch-up over spa treatments. See More
Grace Mayflower Inn and Spa Washington, Connecticut 30 rooms from £220Active Holiday - There are many activities to enjoy- local hikes, snowshoeing in winter, biking, kayaking, fly-fishing and tennis, to name a fewTotal relaxation - Secluded grounds, a wonderful adults-only spa, a meditative maze, yoga and pilates classes- perfect for a relaxing holidayCountry Escape - The hotel is tucked into the foothills of the Berkshire Mountains and only 2 hours from NYC, with over 50 acres to exploreSpa breaksRecommended by - Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith, Relais & Chateaux
Traditional hotel, a renovated country house set in over 50 acres of woodland and immaculately manicured gardens. The spacious rooms are classic in style, many with four-poster beds and rich, homely furnishings. The spa is sleek and the restaurant serves fine fare in a contemporary dining space. See More
The Inn at Stonington Connecticut 18 rooms from £211Romantic Break - The Inn at Stonington boasts lovely accommodation, a beautiful location and great restaurants within a short distanceBeach Life - Wander down to the beach and spend your days lounging by the seasideGreat walks - Wander along the beach at sunset and take in the splendid ocean viewsViews - Great views from hotel
Homestead Inn Greenwich, Connecticut 18 rooms from £273Restaurant with roomsSights nearby - Head down to the beach for a leisurely stroll or hotel-made picnic.Secluded setting - For escaping.Back to NatureRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Luxury boutique in manicured gardens giving an overall European flair. Unique rooms, with antiques and art works, styled to leave guests feeling pampered. Contemporary award-winning French restaurant accompanied by a fantastic wine list. Great spot to relax and base one's self for local exploring. See More
Winvian Farm Litchfield (Connecticut) 19 rooms from £390Cooking classes - Executive Chef Chris Eddy has had classic French training and will share some of his secrets with guests.Kayaking - Canoe or Kayak on the expansive Bantam Lake.Great walks - 113 acres of walking and activities.Hideaway - Dream location.
1775 farmhouse resting in 113 acres of activity filled countryside. The unique, intimate cottages have private sitting rooms, fireplaces, bathtubs and rain showers. Seed to plate restaurant offers a seasonal menu and brilliant bar. Visit the spa or head into the wilderness for family exploring. See More
Spicer Mansion Mystic 4 rooms from £411Local exploring - With the city's bars, restaurants and tourist attractions a two-minute drive away, this hotel is great for local exploringRomantic Break - Couples are well-catered to at this stately hotel, with plush linens in the suites and romantic dinners in the restaurantHideaway - Set in a sleepy, residential area of Mystic, this mansion-turned-hotel makes for an idyllic hideaway holidayGreat walks - Discover the Mystic coastline on a long walk, stopping at the Williams Beach Park to catch some rays
This boutique bolt-hole is nestled along the banks of the Mystic River in Connecticut. Guestrooms are individually designed to mirror the unique style of the original house, with traditional slate blue and cream walls and stately four-poster beds. An elegant and refined New England guesthouse. See More
Greybarns on the Silvermine River Connecticut 6 rooms from £507Hideaway - With a secluded location, bespoke interiors and a traditional tavern onsite, there is no need to leave this boutique hideawayCountry Escape - Set in a beautifully renovated, former textile factory on the Silvermine River, this hotel is full of country charmRomantic Break - The chic, exclusive suites at this country bolt-hole are perfect for a romantic weekend awayGreat walks - Visit Grace Farms, a welcoming place located on 80 acres of open space for people to experience nature and encounter the artsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
This idyllic country inn is located an hour from New York City in a heritage property on the Silvermine River. Inside, the original post and beam structure have been preserved, complemented with wide-board oak floors and custom design elements. A classic adjoining tavern offers gourmet guest meals. See More