Search the best hotels in Indiana
Small, slow-paced and sparsely populated, Indiana is brilliant for nature lovers and history enthusiasts. Explore vast forests, expansive cornfields, the undulating dunes which border Lake Michigan and the shores of the Ohio River on foot, bicycle or horseback. The state’s quaint towns and buzzing cities are well worth visiting too, offering accommodation options ranging from traditional inns to swish modern hotels, fit for a whole host of tastes and budgets. Many of the best places to stay in Indiana are owner-run and intimate, ensuring that visitors can experience the region’s warm hospitality firsthand.
Cosmopolitan Indianapolis, the state capital, boasts a handful of excellent art galleries, museums and restaurants. Little ones will love the zoo and the Indianapolis Children’s Museum, whilst outdoorsy travellers can enjoy access to the Monon Trail and to beautiful White River State Park. The biggest draw is undoubtedly the Indy 500, a motor enthusiast’s dream! Don’t miss the Indianapolis Motor Speedway Museum or the impressive Indianapolis Museum of Art. The university cities of Bloomington and South Bend are also well worth visiting for their fusion of artsy and nature-focused attractions.
Northern Indiana, on the other hand, is home to idyllic rural landscapes and tranquil Amish villages, preserving a way of life which has largely disappeared elsewhere. Go adventuring in the Indiana Dunes National Park, on the edge of Lake Michigan, or head south to Brown County State Park before returning to one of the best places to stay in Indiana.
The Best Places to Stay in Indiana
FOR City Style
- The Alexander Hotel is an appealing contemporary base in the heart of downtown Indianapolis, just a few minutes' walk from the Cultural Trail. Rooms and public areas boast a plethora of art pieces and expansive city views. There's a fitness suite, two restaurants and a cool cocktail bar. Two-bedroom suites are great for families.
- Hotel Carmichael offers a chic downtown base in Carmel, with Greek pillars, chandeliers and glossy marble floors. Rooms fuse traditional design with hi-tech comforts, and there's a buzzy bar, restaurant and cabaret lounge for big city nights. A glamorous couples' or business trip choice.
- Le Meridien Indianapolis is a swish downtown hotel with sleek contemporary interiors, modern artwork, a popular restaurant, a fireside lobby lounge and 24-hour gym. Buzzy, stylish and brilliant for business or leisure. Just alongside the Indiana Convention Centre in Indianapolis.
- Conrad Indianapolis is an elegant luxury hotel with opulent suites, an impressive array of paintings — including works by Picasso and Dali — as well as a stylish cocktail bar and fine-dining restaurant. Unwind at the spa after big days of exploring. A real treat in a central Indianapolis location.
FOR AN INTIMATE INN
- The Oliver Inn offers just 10 guestrooms in a heritage residence within walking distance of the heart of South Bend. The two-bedroom suite is ideal for families, dogs are welcome and big breakfasts are ideal for kick-starting the day.
- Grant Street Inn is an iconic property in central Bloomington. Behind the pretty white-and-yellow exterior are comfortable bedrooms with big cosy beds and period furnishings, a smart gym, a library, and a lovely restaurant for hearty breakfasts. The wrap-around verandah is a beautiful space to unwind. A charming boutique B&B for couples or families keen to explore the city.
- Nestle Inn offers just six cosy rooms in a heritage residence. Now an owner-run inn with plenty of period touches, this is a lovely, low-key spot for a Indianapolis city break. Chef-led cooking classes are a great addition, and the two-bedroom suite works well for families.
- Prairie Guest House is a cosy, owner-run B&B set within a 19th-century farmhouse and cottage, jjust north of Indianapolis. The pretty guestrooms are spacious and comfortable, homemade breakfasts are a treat, and there are two acres of gardens to discover. The yoga studio is wonderful!
- Hotel Broad Ripple is a more contemporary choice on the Monon Trail near Indianapolis. The 13 well-appointed rooms are individually decorated, and guests can enjoy drinks at the bar before dining at nearby eateries. A good value option for groups and keen cyclists, with a small-town feel.
- Brick Street Inn resembles a storybook home with its shingle façade and white picket fence. Cosy up for a relaxed night in Zionsville, with drinks on the bar terrace and curious independent shops and eateries within walking distance.
- Showers Inn has well-appointed rooms in a 1903 Greek Revival building with appealing Art Nouveau features in Bloomington. Book a room in the Composer House for access to the shared porch, as well as your own jetted tubs and kitchenette. Good for families and friends as well as couples.
- Charley Creek Inn is a striking Georgian building in Wabash. Meticulously refurbished, the hotel offers a real sense of 1920s elegant, with hardwood floors, four poster beds and warm terracotta tones. Think old-world luxury for a lovely couples' break. The wine tastings are a great touch!
- The Pepin Mansion sits close to the Ohio River in New Albany, close to a number of heritage house museums. Romantic couples will adore the graceful suites, complete with four poster beds, soaring ceilings and original fireplaces. For history buffs. Children over age 12 are welcome.
- The Looking Glass Inn sits within an elegant, Victorian-era mansion in Indianapolis. Rooms feature Empire-style antiques, clawfoot tubs and decorative fireplaces. Breakfasts are served in the dining room. Traditional and romantic, close to the Benjamin Harrison Presidential Site.
FOR A University CAMPUS HOTEL
- Morris Inn promises a smart city stay on the University of Notre Dame campus in South Bend. Complete with extensive event facilities, this is a brilliant business trip or big celebration choice. Expect classic rooms, a good restaurant and easy access to the picturesque university campus.
- Graduate Bloomington is a chic, stylish choice, inspired by neighbouring Indiana University. The interiors riff off an old-school university vibe, with wooden panelling and generous desks, but they also boast funky patterned touches, cosy armchairs and quirky wallpapers. Fun and well-priced, this is a great pick for campus visitors as well as travellers of all ages! Centrally located.
- Ironworks Hotel Indianapolis is a chic, newly built property with three restaurants, a lively rooftop lounge and generous rooms for indulgent business or leisure stays. Think exposed pipework, salvaged barn wood, and huge windows in rooms and suites, some of which also offer great workspaces. Groups will appreciate the sociable buzz, large public spaces and flexible room options. There are cycling trails nearby.
- 4411 Inn & Suites has been transformed from a mid-century motel into a bright, fresh base moments from Lake Michigan. Pick this place for an active group trip, with the option to grill your own BBQ dinners, gather around the fire pit and explore the great outdoors. Three-bedroom suites are ideal for friends or families.
- New Harmony Inn is a resort and conference centre made up of a collection of buildings close to the Wabash River. Stay here for the excellent event facilities and appealing group deals. There's a large pool and fitness centre, and the little-explored town of New Harmony retains plenty of charm. Ideal for wedding and other large-scale events which can be held in the lovely gardens or function rooms.
FOR AN APARTMENT
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Indianapolis International Airport or to South Bend International Airport, and travel to your destination by car, bus or train. There are regular Amtrak rail links from Chicago and other big cities to Indianapolis, South Bend and other regional hubs.
- Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel between June and September for the warmest weather. Summers tend to be hot and humid. Remember that winters are very cold!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our pick of all the best places to stay in Indianapolis.
- Broaden your search to include the best places to stay in neighbouring Illinois.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Indiana
Best Hotels in Indiana
New Harmony Inn Indiana 90 rooms from £54Business meetings - Specialising in corporate meetings the hotels has numerous conference rooms and is able to cater for up to 400 peopleWeddings - A romantic setting for a wedding with staff who are very experienced at organising eventsGreat walks - Take long scenic walks along the marked trailsSwimming Pool - Indoor pool
A resort and conference hotel located in a quiet town in Indiana. Bright rooms are simply styled with floor to ceiling windows leading out on to the garden. Boasting a spa, two pools, and an array of activities there is plenty to keep busy with here. A setting designed to recuperate and recharge. See More
Graduate Bloomington Bloomington 150 rooms from £74Local exploring - Located by Indiana University making this perfect for visitors to the campus but also well placed for exploring the cityCity Style - A stylish hotel that's cleverly used university inspired design to smart effectSights nearby - Astrological enthusiasts should make a trip to the nearby Kirkwood ObservatoryGreat walks - Take a scenic walk around Griffy Lake Nature ReserveRecommended by - Tablet
Inspired by its neighbouring academic institute (Indiana University) this is a smart, yet lighthearted, hotel. Rooms include beds with wood-panelled backdrops, large wooden desks set alongside light hues and simply patterned fabrics. Plus there's a lobby cafe and bikes to borrow. Superb! See More
4411 Inn & Suites Michigan City, Indiana 26 rooms from £108Groups - Certain rooms come with two double beds. Two and three-bedroom suites are ideal for families or friends travelling togetherLocal exploring - Inexpensive & pleasant place from which to explore the area; there are beaches, orchards, national parks & breweries galoreShort break - It's just over an hour's drive to Chicago, making this ideal for a quick change of scenery or weekend breakSights nearby - Explore the great outdoors at Garwood Orchards, Friendship Gardens, Williams Orchard and Billy Boy’s Blueberry Patch
Mid-century motel transformed into contemporary inn minutes from Lake Michigan. Bright, fresh and airy rooms with modern conveniences offer access to outdoor seating and a communal fire pit. Make your own dinner at the grill station or explore options nearby. Great-value boutique base. See More
Nestle Inn Indianapolis 6 rooms from £119Local exploring - As the closest inn to the downtown you are walking distance to sites, restaurants, bars, breweries and evening entertainmentSights nearby - Indiana War Memorial, Monument Circle and Indiana State Capitol are all in the local vicinityCooking classes - On-site cookery classes include demos on sushi-making, Afternoon Tea and Thai foodViews - Great views from hotel
An owner-run inn set nearby downtown. Situated in a historic family dwelling, there is a warm and relaxed feel to the homely rooms and two-bedroom suite with four-poster beds and antique writing desks. Enjoy breakfast in nearby local cafes or a chef-led cookery class. A low-key base for exploring. See More
Prairie Guest House Fishers, Indiana 10 rooms from £121Total relaxation - Idyllic country setting puts guests in the mood to relax; read a book in the sun room, go for a walk or enjoy a yoga classExclusive use - Book the property exclusively: with plenty of space, family rooms and cosy shared spaces, this is ideal for reunionsYoga - The property's spacious yoga studio is ideal for both individual and group classesSights nearby - Well-known Conner Prairie is just around the corner. This open-air living history museum recreates 19th-century life
Cosy owner-run B&B made up of a 19th-century Gothic farmhouse and a Victorian cottage. Pretty and spacious rooms, inviting public areas and homemade breakfast create a welcoming homely feel. Explore two acres of gardens or use the yoga studio. A classic small-town guesthouse with lots of charm. See More
Showers Inn Bloomington 12 rooms from £122Local exploring - It's a short walk into downtown Bloomington; head to Courthouse Square and Kirkwood Avenue for shops and restaurantsWhirlpool Bathtub - Rooms 5, 6, 7, 9, 10 and 11 feature bubble-jet bathtubsGreat walks - Enjoy scenic hikes in McCormick's Creek State ParkFull of character
An elegant B&B walking distance to the university & downtown. Spacious well-appointed rooms in the 1903 Greek Revival building with Art Nouveau features, fireplaces and bay windows. Newer Composer House rooms boast a shared porch, kitchenettes & jetted tubs. A tranquil and comfortable stay. See More
The Oliver Inn South Bend 10 rooms from £123Families - Child friendly; book the two-bedroom Josephine Ford Suite, Carriage House or the James Oliver Room which sleeps up to fourLocal exploring - Walk into Southbend for restaurants and shops. It's an easy drive to attractions, sports stadiums and the universityRomantic Break - Whether it's a four poster bed, in-room fireplace, claw-foot bath or whirlpool tub, rooms have romantic touchesWhirlpool Bathtub - Gertrude’s Dressing Room & Carriage House boast two-person whirlpool tubs. James Oliver room has a two-person air tub
A Queen Anne Victorian home offering a charming B&B experience walking distance from the centre of South Bend. Original features & homely decor gives an authentic historic feel while pretty rooms boast fireplaces & statement tubs. Start the day with a candle-lit breakfast. Fab small-town experience. See More
Grant Street Inn Bloomington 40 rooms from £124Local exploring - Ideally positioned close to Indiana University, Bloomington's entertainment and arts district and many state parks and lakesFishing - A number of nearby lakes allow fishing including Griffey Lake and Lake MonroeLocal markets - Sample local produce at the buzzing Saturday Farmers MarketGreat walks - Take a hike in the scenic Hoosier National Park
Comprising a whole block, made up of five properties, Grant Street Inn is an iconic and central establishment. Rooms are individually designed - some have an old-world elegance, others feel more contemporary. The wrap-around porch is perfect for unwinding with a good book. A charming stay. See More
The Looking Glass Inn Indianapolis 7 rooms from £131Self catering to rent - 900 sq ft Hideaway Suite features a full kitchen, as well as spacious living and dining area; ideal for long staysLocal exploring - Old Northside Historic District is home to appealing shops, restaurants, sites, boutiques, theatres and galleriesGreat walks - Admire the area's Queen Anne and Italianate mansions and Victorian-era architecture on a neighbourhood strollWhirlpool Bathtub - Gold room comes with a jetted tub. Rose and Green rooms feature indulgent two-person whilrpools
Tasteful B&B housed in an elegant Victorian-era mansion. Well-appointed rooms decorated in rich jewel tones with Empire-style antiques, clawfoot tubs, luxe linens and decorative fireplaces are warm and inviting. Breakfast is served in a traditional dining room. Classic yet cosy home-away-from-home. See More
Charley Creek Inn IN, Indiana 30 rooms from £132Romantic Break - Experience some old-world luxury with your loved one in this hotel that channels Great Gatsby styleGreat walks - Take a stroll through the scenic Paradise Spring Historical ParkFull of characterRomantic - Good for couples.
A striking Georgian building that's been meticulously refurbished to give a feel of 1920s elegance. Designed for luxury, rooms are decorated in terracotta tones and feature original hardwood floors; the best have four poster beds. Dining is an equally elegant affair. A romantic choice. See More
The Pepin Mansion New Albany, Indiana 4 rooms from £133Local exploring - Wonderfully fitting location from which to explore historic preservation district. Explore mansions, museums and riverside parksWeddings - Book out whole property for elegant celebrations up to 300 guests. The owner's Rolls-Royce Silver Cloud can also be includedGreat walks - Walk to the Ohio River Greenway walking and cycling path and Waterfront Park to stretch your legs with beautiful viewsSights nearby - Cross the street to visit Culbertson Mansion Museum, a grand Victorian home built in 1869
Well-preserved Victorian mansion transformed into intimate owner-run B&B and wedding venue one block from Ohio River. Graceful suites feature original fireplaces, four-poster beds, soaring ceilings and antique furnishings. A parlour and breakfast room feel like home. An authentic trip back in time. See More
Morris Inn South Bend 150 rooms from £150Business meetings - Offers professional set-up for large-scale conferences with registration management, event planners and on-site cateringLocal exploring - Great location from which to make the most of the university's facilities and get out and explore South Bend's sitesWeddings - Grand Ballroom, private dining rooms and lovely outside terrace over venues for celebrations from 80 - 300 guestsSwimming Pool - Guests have access to the university's fitness facilities, including Rockne Memorial pool, sport's centre climbing wall
A boutique-style hotel set in the University of Notre Dame campus. Spacious rooms with comfortable decor offer a classic stay. Dine at the welcoming Rohr's tavern, enjoy the terrace or walk to impressive sports facilities & nearby attractions. Works for events, university stays & sightseeing. See More
Hotel Broad Ripple Indianapolis 13 rooms from £151Groups - Many of the rooms sleep up to three or four guests in cosy configurations; this also works out as a great-value optionCycling - The property backs onto the Monon Trail; a 27 mile former rail track which offers fantastic cycling in the regionLocal exploring - Perfect base from which to explore Broad Ripple's culture, eateries, galleries, breweries and shopsGreat walks - The Monon Trail will also appeal to walkers and hikers; it stretches all the way to downtown Indianapolis and beyond
Contemporary inn with a lodge feel located on Monon Trail. Steps from the White River and Dawson Lake, rooms are well-appointed and individually decorated. Guests can enjoy breakfast in the lounge and drinks at the bar before exploring nearby eateries. Spacious yet cosy offering small-town charm. See More
Conrad Indianapolis Indianapolis (IN) 247 rooms from £152Artworks - The hotel's own gallery includes works by Picasso, Warhol and Dali. This property is bound to please any art connoisseurCity Style - Featuring luxury suites, renowned artworks, a spoiling spa and fine-dining restaurant, this hotel has reams of styleSpa - Evan Todd Spa and Salon offers a wide range of body and hair treatements using AVEDA productsSights nearby - Visit the Indiana State Capitol and admire the majestic architecture
A luxury giant in this vibrant city. Smartly designed suites offer reams of space and chic modern style. Functioning both as a hotel and an art gallery you can view works by Picasso or Dali before heading to the bar for a cocktail. The fine-dining restaurant is equally impressive. See More
Alexander Hotel Indianapolis (IN) 209 rooms from £155Local exploring - Conveniently located in the downtown area, close to important sitesFamilies - Suites available with 2 bedrooms including full kitchensCity Style - Artfully designed rooms with all modern amenitiesRestaurant - Market Table restaurant serves breakfast and the juicy steak at the Cerulean restaurant is a must tryRecommended by - Tablet
Striking, contemporary decor - rooms on the top floors offer vibrant city views. Includes two in-house restaurants and a bar. Long stay facilities available in residential style suites. High-speed internet and 24-hr room service. Ideal for both business and leisure travellers. See More
Brick Street Inn Zionsville, Indiana 8 rooms from £184Total relaxation - Experience small-town slow living; browse local stores, dine at delicious restaurants or enjoy the surrounding countrysideSights nearby - Head into Indianapolis for the day to visit the zoo, Indianapolis Museum of Art and Children's MuseumLively - Hip and happening.Full of character
Perfect road-trip fodder. The historic shingle facade, white-picket-fence and colourful flowerbeds resemble a story-book home. Enjoy cosy, spacious & inviting rooms with antique touches; there's a lively restaurant and bar with a terrace. Spend a comfortable night here before hitting the road. See More
Hotel Carmichael Carmel, Indiana 122 rooms from £217City Style - Old-world glamour meets on-trend needs; this is the perfect place for a spoiling stay whether in town for business or pleasureLocal exploring - Ideally located to explore all that Carmel has to offer; Farmer's Markets, cultural sites, wineries, restaurants and concertsBar - Adagio Lounge offers everything you want from an upscale hotel bar; tinkling piano, cosy fireplace and classic cocktailsBusiness meetings - Range of clasically elegant board rooms, meeting rooms and ballroom offer ideal backdrop for distinguished events
A contemporary take on a classic hotel. Wonderfully spacious public areas combine glossy marble floors, Greek pillars and chandeliers while rooms blend traditional design with impressive hi-tech comforts. Make sure to visit the buzzy bar, restaurant & cabaret lounge. Fun and deluxe downtown base. See More
Le Meridien Indianapolis Indianapolis 100 rooms from £318Business meetings - Connected to the Indiana Convention Center, this is a perfect base for business travellers. Rooms boast ergonomic work spacesCity Style - Much more than just a business hotel, this historic property has been transformed into a bastion of contemporary urban coolLocal exploring - Ideal location for both work and play; walk easily to shops, meetings, restaurants and entertainmentSights nearby - Indianapolis Zoo, Hilbert Circle Theatre, Fountain Square, Monument Circleand Indiana State Capitol are in the area
Deluxe downtown hotel with a buzzy feel and fab location beside the convention centre. A popular restaurant, fireside lobby lounge and 24-hour gym ensure all bases are covered. Sleek, inviting and well-designed rooms are a tasteful blend of textures and styles. Spoiling, fun and functional base. See More