Search the best hotels in Lake Placid
About Lake Placid
If you’re a fan of snow sports, and in particular the Winter Olympics, then Lake Placid will already be on your radar as a memorable host. And it’s certainly still popular with elite athletes - you’ll spot many on the slopes, speeding down the mountains or even dogsledding or ice skating on the thickly frozen lakes of this Wintery paradise. The best places to stay in Lake Placid offer unforgettably breathtaking views of the Adirondack Mountains, 46 peaks over 4,000 feet - which might be why you remember the 1980 Olympics so vividly? And some of the best places to stay also offer wonderful lake views as well with Mirror Lake being the largest lake in town.
What Not To Miss
- As well as being a wonderful place to enjoy whatever snow sports you’re already good at, Lake Placid is also a perfect place to try a new snow sport or two. There aren’t many Winter resorts which are so well set up for bobsled, tobogganing, ski jumping, moguls, speed skating, figure skating, cross country skiing or dogsledding.
- Or you might want to visit the Olympic Centre, where you'll find the hockey stadium which hosted the famous game between a relatively amateur U.S. team and the so called unstoppable Soviets who they beat, of course.
- If you’re stunned by the backdrop you’ll probably want to take a trip up Whiteface Mountain, the only Adirondack peak where you can drive to the top. On a clear day you can supposedly see New York, Vermont and Canada from the peak.
- Some of the other 46 peaks have well marked trails to their summits, but some require some serious bushwhacking to ascend.
- Under all that snow and ice, Lake Placid is a beauty and in Summer this becomes a popular spot for scenic trekking, horse riding or biking, or some scenic fishing or sailing. And you’re only about five hours drive from New York.
If you want to reserve a room in one of the best places to stay in Lake Placid, don't forget to get organised and book early.....this is a popular year round holiday destination.
The best places to stay in Lake Placid
- Mirror Lake Inn is a lakeside inn with 131 plush, comfortable rooms and a simple Arts and Crafts style. Expect wood panelling and calm, neutral colours, plus well-crafted furniture and floor to ceiling windows overlooking the lake. There’s also a choice of hotel restaurants and a spa.
- The Whiteface Lodge is a deluxe hotel for outdoors men and women - offering a cosy bed and fireplaces, hot tubs, a gym, sauna, spa and bar and restaurant to come home to after a big day on the slopes, river, road or trail.
- The Lake Placid Lodge offers traditional Adirondack hospitality and every creature comfort for guests in its 30 rooms and suites. It also offers panoramic lake views, lovely woody decor and an elegant restaurant.
For an apartment or cottage
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a selection of properties perfect for making the most of all the outdoor activities the town has to offer.
- Fly to Plattsburgh International Airport located 77km (48 miles) from Lake Placid with direct flights across the U.S.
- Alternatively, the nearest Amtrak rail station is located in Westport, 40 miles from Lake Placid with a shuttle bus service to the village.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the charming scenery - for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars.
- Best time to visit - for skiers, the winter from December to March typically provides plenty of snowfall. Alternatively, if you want to make the most of the hiking trials or activities on the lake - visit in the summer from June to August.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Lake Placid
Mirror Lake Inn 131 rooms from £137Lake Placid
Lakeside inn with rustic accents and plush home comforts. Interiors are decorated in a simple Arts and Crafts style with emphasis on wood panelling, calm neutrals and well-crafted furniture. Floor-to-ceiling windows open rooms up to panoramic lake views. Three dining establishment and on-site spa.Secluded setting - Set among the waters and woods of upstate New York far from the hustle and bustle of modern life.Swimming Pool - Seasonal outdoor poolOn the beach - Private beach accessViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
The Whiteface Lodge 94 rooms from £215Lake Placid
Rustic deluxe hotel for outdoorsy folk who like a cosy bed to snuggle into after a day on the slopes, the river, the road or the trail. All-suite accommodations feature wood panelling and kitchens, and some have fireplaces and hot tubs. Two pools, gym, sauna, spa, salon. Ice parlor, restaurant, bar.Back to Nature - Go hiking through the dirt-and-pine scented woods, sample freshly tapped maple syrup or even jump in the lake for the brave!Swimming Pool - Year-round heated outdoor swimming pool with view of the Adirondack Mountains. Also indoor pool.Kids Club - Kamp Kanu is an on-site program for entertaining children with activities and games.Remote - 5 hours from New York City but right at the heart of nature.Recommended by - Tablet
Lake Placid Lodge 30 rooms from £306Lake Placid
Lake Placid Lodge caters to creature comforts with traditional Adirondack hospitality. Nestled on the west shore of Lake Placid, rooms and suites offer panoramic lake views. Stone fireplaces, wooden beams and authentic pieces for sale add to the charm. Elegant restaurant serves fresh artisanal fare.Hideaway - Nip out of your hectic big city lifestyle and tuck yoruself away into this charming location with its natural splendour.Back to Nature - From the wood panneling of the hotel itself to the fresh air, clear lake water and healthy forestland all around.Views - Watch the sun rise and set over Lake Placid from your room.Sights nearby - A mere 10-min drive from the Olympic Jumping Complex.Recommended by - Tablet