Search the best hotels in Martha's Vineyard
About Martha's Vineyard
A picturesque island escape, Martha’s Vineyard is known for its lack of chain restaurants (it has zero), its grand swathes of sand, its green almost pastoral interior and, of course, for being the setting for Jaws. Our Gurus have quite a lot to choose from when refining their recommendations for the best places to stay on Martha’s Vineyard. There are several cosy New England Inns, charming converted colonial mansions and some really beautiful farmhouse hotels; all primed for that perfect back to nature escape.
You’ll find some of our recommendations for the best hotels on Martha’s Vineyard in gentrified Edgartown, which has some seriously impressive celebrity second homes, some incredible restaurants and a gorgeous bay. But there are also properties dotted across the island, from old-fashioned beach resort, Oak Bluffs, to pretty Tisbury which is also where you’ll find the ferry port to Cape Cod, which is about seven miles away.
There’s plenty to see and do here, but don’t think seeing just one or two lighthouses will tick that particular box, see all five if you can. Long Point Wildlife Refuge is wonderful for a walk, but the whole coastline really deserves exploring. There are also some well-considered vineyards, good fishing and great food.
During the warm summer months, the area is particularly popular so to be sure to bag one of the best places to stay in Martha's Vineyard, we recommend booking well in advance.
The Best Places to Stay on Martha’s Vineyard
- The Crocker House Inn is a picturesque B&B overlooking the Vineyard Haven Harbor. There are ten charming rooms, all with balconies and spectacular views of the bay and the inn’s gardens.
- Kelley House in Edgartown, was built for a captain in 1742 - which is ancient by American standards. It’s now a boutique hotel with light, modern rooms, a British/American fusion restaurant and an impressive bar. A super spot for exploring the island.
- The Charlotte Inn is another Edgartown classic, a 19th-century colonial style house turned 19 room boutique hotel. The rooms are large and elegant, complete with four-posters and fireplaces. There’s an excellent restaurant too.
- Lambert's Cove Inn, Farm & Restaurant is a large farmhouse surrounded by manicured lawns, with a heated pool, a tennis court and a spa. Perfect for a relaxed country house style break.
- Mansion House is a clapboard charmer you can stay in for under $120 per night (low season). There are 48 cosy, elegant rooms with huge windows and hardwood floors, and a beautiful terrace with incredible views of the bay.
- If you want a view of the harbour stay at Edgartown’s Harbor View Hotel, a vast converted beach house built in 1891. With over a hundred rooms now, the hotel has all the mod. cons. you’d expect including a great grill restaurant, a poolside restaurant and a cocktail and tapas bar.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer the flexibility of a self-catering property then browse through the options available with our partner, Booking.com.
- If you're coming from various destinations inside the US - Washington, New York, Boston and Providence - you can fly into Martha's Vineyard Airport.
- Alternatively, you can take a ferry from nearby Falmouth or Hyannis across to the island.
- Weather-wise, the best time to visit is in the summer months; the average temperature rises to 23°C in July.
- However, this is peak tourist season, so for a quieter and cheaper alternative consider coming in spring or autumn.
- If you'd like the freedom of having a car with you then see what's available with Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Browse through all our recommendations on Martha's Vineyard.
- Consider our Guru’s collection of Cape Cod’s Best Inns.
- Search through the best places to stay on Nantucket.
- Widen the net to include all our Massachusetts properties,
- Or feel free to contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Martha's Vineyard
Best Hotels in Martha's Vineyard
Harbor View Hotel Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard 114 rooms from £101Sights nearby - Five lighthouses in Martha’s Vineyard are the most diverse in a small, contained area in the country.Birdwatching - Over 300 species of birds are known to commonly inhabit and frequent Martha’s Vineyard.Full of characterBack to Nature
This 1891 coastal hotel has over 100,000 cedar trees, an outdoor pool and views of Edgartown Harbour. Light comfortable rooms with modern bathrooms and vineyard views. The Lighthouse Grill focuses on fish and steak, whereas the North 41 is poolside. Head to Henry's Hotel Bar for cocktails and tapas. See More
Lambert's Cove Inn, Farm & Restaurant Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard 15 rooms from £140Sights nearby - Lambert's Cove Beach nearby is private and requires a free pass from reception.Great walks - The gardens are yours to explore.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.
Large farmhouse resting in manicured lawns with heated pool, all weather tennis court and spa. Rooms are different but collectively comfortable, similar to that of an English country house. Restaurant menu incorporates fresh local ingredients. Relax or explore the local area, a stunning spot! See More
Kelley House Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard 54 rooms from £117Sights nearby - Head down to the beach and spend a day by the sea whilst catching a glimpse of Edgartown Lighthouse.Hideaway - A quiet spot.Romantic - Good for couples.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Classic 1742 New England captains home turned boutique with garden, pool and ocean views. Light, modern rooms with coffee machines and noteworthy fluffy bathrobes. The Newes is a mix of American and British cuisine with a full bar. Perfect location of sea based activities or a romantic break away. See More
Summercamp Hotel Oak Bluffs, MA, Martha's Vineyard 95 rooms from £130Families - With plenty of activities in the hotel and the area this is an ideal spot for the whole familyLocal exploring - A funky and vibrant base from which to explore this charming town and the coastline beyondFishing - Book in with the Skipper down at the harbour for an afternoon's fishing in the protected waters of Vineyard SoundSights nearby - The Historic Oak Bluffs Gingerbread Cottages are found just outside the hotel, well worth taking a tourRecommended by - Tablet
An old Methodist summer camp, turned funky upscale boutique hotel in Oak Bluffs. The interiors have been carefully selected to invoke feelings of nostalgia for camp days of your childhood, while maintaining a level of elegance and style that places you right back in the present day. Characterful. See More
Nobnocket Boutique Inn Vineyard Haven, Martha's Vineyard 7 rooms from £133Romantic Break - For a romantic break book the Grand room, complete with fireplace, freestanding tub and plush linensGreat walks - The property boasts a 1.8 acre garden, turning into woodland- perfect for an afternoon's wanderingBirdwatching - The woods are filled with a variety of birds, make sure to pack your binocularsRestrictions on children - Over 16s onlyRecommended by - Tablet
A chic owner managed B&B in the lovely Martha's Vineyard. With seven elegantly styled rooms, all offering en suites, parquet floors and light natural tones. The breakfast is utterly delicious and can be served in bed or in the sunny dinning room. With extensive gardens and the village nearby. See More
Hob Knob Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard 17 rooms from £195Fishing - Aboard the in-house The Hob Knob 27' Boston Whaler organise a fishing trip with the captain.Full of characterSpaRecommended by - Tablet
19th Century home turned boutique hotel with manicured garden, sit out porch and classic interiors. Rooms house big beds, bright bathrooms and delicious breakfast in the dining room. In-house spa, gym and sauna are for all to relax in wine country. Check out the The Hob Knob 27' Boston Whaler boat. See More
The Christopher MA, Martha's Vineyard 15 rooms from £213Beach Life - A beautifully laid out beach-chic B&B offering J Crew beach bags, towels and chairs on loan, as well as hot local tipsSights nearby - The hotel provides an ipad filled with info on local attractions such as local restaurants, spas, bars and bike trailsGreat walks - There are plenty of hiking and walking trails on the island, ask at the front desk for detailsDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Tablet
A charming Victorian era mansion turned upscale B&B by the famed Lark group. The vibrant and thoughtfully curated interiors are a welcome breath of fresh air in Edgartown. Serving a hearty breakfast, as well as evening snacks in the courtyard, guests are made to feel welcome and looked after. See More
The Charlotte Inn Edgartown, Martha's Vineyard 19 rooms from £254Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Secluded setting - For escaping.Views - Great views from hotelBack to NatureRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux, CN Traveller
British style 1864 house turned romantic boutique, with manicured gardens and antiques. The perfect place to unplug and unwind. Large, classical rooms with four poster beds, fireplaces and fine linens. Delicious American cuisine with French and Italian influences. The perfect romantic break. See More
Crocker House Inn Martha's Vineyard 10 rooms from £315Great walks - Mytoi in Chappaquiddick, an enchanting 14-acre Japanese garden with walkways, drooping Cherry trees and wooden bridges.Sailing - Enjoy state-of-the-art sailing aboard the 60ft. catamaran, with Mad Max Sailing Adventures.Birdwatching - Cape Poge Lighthouse, a migratory stop for over a hundred species of birds.Full of character