Search the best hotels in Missouri
Missouri promises the wide open spaces, lush forests and spectacular mountains of many of the Great Plains states, but it also boasts swish, sophisticated cities and colourful country towns. Accommodation options across the state are wide-ranging, with everything from slick city hotels to remote forest lodges, ideal for couples, friends or families eager to immerse themselves in nature. Whether you’re dreaming of a big midwestern road trip, a culture-filled city break or a hiking and cycling escape, the best places to stay in Missouri have got you covered.
The state capital, St Louis, is a lively metropolis with a fascinating trading history stemming from its position on the Mississippi River. Admire the Gateway Arch, visit the city’s many museums, and catch a game of baseball or some live music. Artsy, fountain-filled Kansas City, on the other hand, has a fabulous creative culture and great food — including top-notch barbecue. Venture to St Joseph for a sense of the Wild West, or to friendly Branson and Independence for a quintessential midwestern town experience.
Discover the entrancing Ozark Mountains, home to striking scenery, as well as heaps of outdoorsy activities in the verdant hills — think horse riding, hiking and cycling — and fishing, kayaking or swimming along stretches of the Black River. Missouri features a huge array of rivers and forests, perfect for bird watching, wildlife spotting and adventuring.
If you’re looking to hide away as a couple, to take the kids on an active holiday, or for a hip city break with friends, book a room at one of the best places to stay in Missouri and head out to explore!
The Best Places to Stay in Missouri
For City Style
- Crossroads Hotel is a trendy city spot in Kansas City's historic Pabst Brewing Depot. Rooms are chic and comfortable and there are some lovely meeting places for business travellers. The buzzing rooftop beer garden and classic Italian steakhouse are both brilliant for long, lively evenings with friends old and new.
- Hotel St Louis is a downtown St Louis landmark, with Art Deco-style interiors in a 19th-century building. Think swish guestrooms, a cool rooftop pool, soothing spa and great cuisine. Good for couples or business travellers looking to stay in the city centre, close to the riverfront. A smart urban choice.
- The Fontaine is a stylish and sophisticated city hotel in the famed Country Club Plaza area of Kansas City. Expect opulent rooms and suites with marble bathrooms, a rooftop pool, fitness centre and a superb rooftop cocktail bar. For visitors keen to experience the city's best shopping.
For Art Lovers
- 21c Museum Hotel features crisp, contemporary guestrooms and suites in Kansas City's renovated Savoy Hotel, which also has an excellent restaurant. As much an art gallery as a hotel, there are fantastic paintings and sculptures on display in the public areas, making this a top pick for modern art aficionados.
FOR Urban LUXURY
- The Ritz Carlton is an elegant 300-room choice in St Louis' verdant Garden District. Stay here for luxury and grandeur, with an extensive spa, three excellent restaurants, a cigar club, wine room and delectable afternoon teas. Rooms and suites are beautifully appointed, with options for couples, families or business travellers. A very special stay.
- Four Seasons St Louis is a wonderfully romantic riverside hotel, complete with cool, contemporary interiors, as well as a rooftop pool and bar, firepits and delectable fare. Brilliant for couples, this indulgent property also has fun kids' options including special teen spa treatments and games for younger children. A superb stay on the banks of the Mississippi River in St Louis.
For a Rural Escape
- Big Cedar Lodge overlooks beautiful Table Rock Lake, which is also a good place for fishing. It’s a large lodge, with around 260 rooms and cabins, but it still has the feel of a wilderness escape. Expect whirlpool baths, indulgent interiors and opportunities for trekking, horse riding, watersports and more. Private cabins are ideal for remote and romantic honeymoons.
- Stonewater Cove Resort is a rustic lodge, with just 25 rooms and cabins featuring wood panelling, thick rugs and cosy leather armchiars, tucked within the Mark Twain National Forest. A striking lakeside pad with heaps of activities for guests of all ages, this is a fun pick for epic family holidays as well as tranquil couples' retreats.
FOR GREAT VALUE
- Hotel Ignacio is an affordable choice in St Louis' Arts District, with 51 comfortable rooms. There's great music, theatre and exhibitions right on your doorstep, as well as a popular onsite eatery - best-known for its tapas - and many nearby restaurants. A good value choice for guests of all ages.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to St Louis Lambert International Airport or to Kansas City International Airport and travel to your destination from there. Many hotels will be happy to arrange transport or to advise on travel as you make your plans.
- Missouri is great to explore by road! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Expect hot summers, with temperatures averaging between 25° and 35°C. Come in the spring (April - May) or autumn (September - October) for cooler temperatures, and to avoid the potential summer crowds in the cities.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Browse our list of the best places to stay in St Louis.
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Illinois.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Missouri
Best Hotels in Missouri
Hotel Phillips Kansas City 271 rooms from £105Local exploring - Perfectly placed just blocks from the Power & Light District's theaters, nightlife, and Kansas City Convention CenterLuxury - A Hilton property set in an Art Deco building offering chic modern design, elegant dining, and a sophisticated barRestaurant - Tavernonna Italian Kitchen serves up farm-to-table cuisine
An elegant luxury hotel set in an impressive Art Deco building. Interiors are chic and minimalist with sharp lines and cool hues, however, opposingly, the wood-panelled bar still has a feel of old-world grandeur. Complete with a noteworthy Italian restaurant, this is a smart downtown choice. See More
Hotel Saint Louis St Louis (Downtown) 140 rooms from £119Business meetings - In addition to glamorous ballroom and club lounge, ther are a range of super stylish and elegant art-filled meeting roomsTotal relaxation - Stay for a weekend of indulgence where there's no need to leave to enjoy spa treatments, delicious food and killer viewsSwimming Pool - Stunning rooftop pool with bar and full dining services offers amazing views over the citySpa - Luxurious spa offers impressive range of massage, beauty, body, grooming and couples' treatments, alongside signature cocktails
Luxury hotel housed in historic landmark in St Louis downtown. 19th century architecture blends seamlessly with Art Deco style interiors to create a timeless feel with contemporary appeal. Palatial rooms, cool rooftop pool, spa, fab dining and central city location make this an ideal urban retreat. See More
Hotel Ignacio St Louis (Missouri) 51 rooms from £125Views - Great views from hotelSights nearby - The 1925 built Powell Hall is home to the St Louis Symphony.Great walks - Forest Park is a historic urban space and worth an explore.Full of characterRecommended by - Tablet
Located in the arts hub of St Louis with large comfortable rooms themed on architecture, the performing arts and music. Nothing is too much trouble for the friendly and welcoming staff. Café Pintxos is available for all meals and whips up fantastic evening tapas. Arts and theatre on your doorstep! See More
21c Museum Hotel, Kansas City Kansas City 120 rooms from £176Foodies - Home to the acclaimed Savoy Restaurant where President Truman once ate, foodies are well-catered to at this hotelLocal exploring - This hotel makes a great starting point for city exploring, set within walking distance of the main attractionsCity Style - Set in the heart of Kansas City in the Contemporary Art Museum, book this hotel for chic city styleSights nearby - Visit President Truman's Home, now a national historic site and museum with guided toursRecommended by - Tablet
This boutique hotel offers a stay steeped in culture at the Kansas City Art Museum. The bright and elegant guestrooms feature contemporary furnishings and original artwork, in addition to luxurious bedding and city views. The historic Savoy Restaurant adds extra glamour to this chic hotel. See More
The Fontaine Kansas City 132 rooms from £180City Style - With opulent, Renaissance-inspired interiors and an unbeatable location, book this hotel for sleek city styleLocal exploring - Set in the Country Club Shopping Plaza, this hotel is perfectly placed for local exploring in Kansas CityFoodies - Dine at the hotel's stylish Parker Restaurant and enjoy panoramic city views over dinnerGreat walks - Explore Kansas City on foot with a city walk, stopping in at the Jacob L. Loose Park - the second largest in the city
This luxury hotel is set in the heart of the Country Club Plaza Shopping District in Kansas City. The elegant guestrooms have ornate, printed headboards and plush linens, with city views from floor-to-ceiling windows. A rooftop terrace and pool make for maximum indulgence at this chic bolt-hole. See More
Crossroads Hotel Kansas City (Missouri) 131 rooms from £190City Style - Located in a historical monument and in the centre of Kansas' vibrant arts centre, a stay here opens up the city to youFamilies - Kids will love the Bunkroom and adults will appreciate the billiards table in the Pendergast SuiteSights nearby - Sea Life and Legoland are less than 1km from the hotelDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
Boutique hotel located in a beautifully-resorted 1911 building. Stay in one of the 131 cosy rooms with jewel-tones, rugs and exposed brick walls and enjoy city views from the rooftop beer-garden and restaurant. The hotel is very involved with the local community; expect art exhibitions and events. See More
Four Seasons St Louis St Louis 200 rooms from £244Romantic Break - For a different kind of date night check in for the 'Spa After Dark' package, including a romantic dinner and Couples' Spa SuiteHoneymoons - Romantic experiences - personalised firework displays, candlelit dinners and helicopter rides - make for a memorable honeymoonFamilies - Kids and teens will love the special welcome amenities, teen spa treatments, movie collection and books, games and toysCity Style - There is nowhere in the city with slicker service and styleRecommended by - Fodors, Kiwi Collection
Iconic uber-luxury city hotel with strong sense of place. The terrace is a favoured city hot-spot with rooftop pool, firepits, pool cabanas and vibey bar. Plush but paired-back rooms are designed in Four Seasons's classic vernacular, with floor-to-ceiling city views. Romantic weekend-away material. See More
Ritz Carlton, St Louis St Louis (Missouri) 300 rooms from £343Sights nearby - Gateway Arch is an iconic symbol of America.Views - Great views from hotelSpaRestaurant - Recommended.
Towering over the art and garden district of St Louis, this luxury hotel delivers elegance and hospitality for business and leisure trips. Large rooms with fantastic views and all the high tech gadgets. Three restaurants, a cigar club, a wine room and high tea, you'll never want to leave! See More
Stonewater Cove Resort MO, Missouri 25 rooms from £390Families - Choose this resort for an inter-generational family holiday, and enjoy meals together after a day of exciting excursionsBack to Nature - With a lakeside location in the beautiful setting of a national forest, this resort makes a unique retreat to natureActive Holiday - With fishing, canoeing and kayaking just a few of the activities on offer, this resort makes a great active breakFishing - Book a professionally guided fishing trip through the resort and learn the techniques of dock and lake fishingRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
This resort is nestled in the heart of the Mark Twain National Forest in Missouri. Interiors have a rustic lodge feel, with wooden panelling, leather armchairs and thick rugs. The resort has a peaceful lakeside location and offers a range of outdoor activities in the forest, perfect for families. See More
Big Cedar Lodge Missouri 259 roomsFishing - Professional guides take you fishing on Table Rock Lake and the surrounding waterways.Remote - Off the beaten track.Secluded setting - For escaping.Romantic - Good for couples.