- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Book Online Now
Search the best hotels in Santa Barbara
About Santa Barbara
Santa Barbara is less than 100 miles from Los Angeles, but with its great swathes of sandy beach, lush wineries and matching, mission style architecture, it’s has a totally different vibe. Many of the best places to stay in Santa Barbara sport the red tiled roofs and arched windows which typify this style, but if your idea of a great hotel involves Pacific views then you’ll also find a range of more modern, glass-a-plenty options.
Santa Barbara’s weather is another great draw, as is the wine and food - there are numerous excellent restaurants, and the seafood is especially good. This is small city, but the shopping and cultural offerings are as plentiful as you’d find in a much larger one. There are also a number of historic and cultural festivals - Santa Barbara is a city proud of its heritage.
What Not To Miss
- The Santa Barbara Mission is probably the city’s main visitor attraction. It’s the largest in California and has an unusual, but impressive double bell tower. Founded in 1786, this is still an active parish church and has been in continuous use, which makes the churchyard, with skull carvings and Chumash artwork and graves, another interesting attraction.
- Santa Barbara’s subtropical weather means the Botanical gardens are also well worth a visit.
- Those more interested in culture should definitely check out the Museum of Art, the Santa Barbara Museum, the County Courthouse and Stearns Wharf, which was built in 1872 making it the oldest continuously operating wharf on the West Coast.
- Santa Barbara Zoo is the ideal spot for a fun family day out, home to over 500 animals and set in lush surroundings.
Don't forget that because of the great climate, the best places to stay in Santa Barbara get booked up well ahead. So if you're planning a trip during the peak seasons, get organised and reserve your room now!
Where To Stay
- Downtown Santa Barbara is the ideal spot for those wanting to be right in the thick of it. The city's top sights are right on your doorstep, so you'll never run out of things to do.
- Set amidst the backdrop of the city's hills, the primarily residential Riviera is far more laid-back than downtown - yet still close enough to easily head into the buzzy centre.
- Head down to The Waterfront if you fancy sweeping ocean views and gorgeous beaches. Truly idyllic.
- If you fancy spending your days walking around the stunning Los Padres National Forest then head over to Eastside.
- Canary Santa Barbara is a beachfront hotel with 97 generously sized rooms - many with stunning views, a rooftop pool, and a restaurant specialising in local produce, which naturally includes a lot of seafood.
- The Spanish Garden Inn is a boutique hotel with a Mediterranean feel. There are just 23 spacious, luxurious rooms and a fabulous blue lap pool. Plus, you’re close to the restaurants and shops of Slate Street.
- Simpson House Inn is a period Victorian mansion turned B&B, set amid an acre of glorious English gardens. Accommodation is elegant and classic in style, breakfasts are gourmet and every evening there's wine tasting and hors d'oeuvres for all.
- Cheshire Cat is a Victorian B&B with smart, tastefully decorated rooms - some of which even feature whirlpool baths! Ideally situated for exploring both the city and the coast, it's a top spot.
- The Upham is the oldest operating hotel in Southern California. It now offers stylish accommodation at a very reasonable price, just minutes from some of Santa Barbara's attractions.
- The Belmond El Encanto is a stylish collection of rooms and bungalows dotted around lush, seven acre gardens, just a few minutes from the beach and the Pacific Ocean. Each of the 92 rooms has a balcony or patio, whilst there's also an infinity pool, spa, and restaurant with wonderful ocean views.
- Four Seasons The Biltmore is a Mediterranean feeling resort with 20 acres of lush gardens and spectacular views of the Pacific Ocean. The Mediterranean theme spills over into the beautiful, seasonal, organic, Italian restaurant and there’s also a brilliant spa.
Outside The City
- Bacara Resort & Spa is a large oceanfront resort outside town. It offers facilities galore, Catalonian cuisine, stylish accommodation and stunning views.
- For something truly special book the San Ysidro Ranch. Nestled in the Montecito foothills, set amid 500 acres overlooking the Pacific. It can do some serious name-dropping (with the likes of JKF and Laurence Olivier as past guests) and its easy to see why - gorgeous rooms, beautiful gardens, muslin draped four posters, and gourmet cuisine.
For An Apartment
If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner, Booking.com.
- Santa Barbara's nicest at the end of the summer, with the average daily temperature rising to 19°C in July, August and September.
- Visitors can fly into Santa Barbara Airport, located 7 miles west of downtown and well served by public transport links to the city.
- However, this is only a domestic airport - if you're coming from further afield then you might want to fly into Los Angeles International Airport before taking the Airbus shuttle across to Santa Barbara.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Santa Barbara
Bacara Resort & Spa 358 rooms from £269Santa Barbara (California)
Ocean views, Spanish style white washed walls give a village feel - a stunning resort 15 minutes from Santa Barbara. European menu, Catalan specialties and live music at the bar are all fantastic. Comfort and views describe the rooms, with balconies and sitting rooms. Brilliant spa and activities.Kayaking - Kayaking and Paddle boards are both avaliable to rent.Great walks - Along the coast or through the Med-vibe town Gelato.Kids Club - Fully staffed.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
San Ysidro Ranch 41 rooms from £534Santa Barbara (California)
This romantic ranch sits in 500 acres with Pacific Ocean views, a pool and private hot tubs. Cottages and suites are luxurious, intimate and with outdoor rain showers. The Stonehouse uses locally sourced produce. Family and pets are welcome to this adventure haven.Great walks - Explore the grounds.Views - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Four Seasons The Biltmore 207 rooms from £495Santa Barbara (California)
The 20 acres of lush garden on the oceanfront give a Mediterranean feel and beautiful Pacific views. The spacious are Spanish-esqe, with fabulous views of garden, sea or pool. Bella Vista offers organic Italian food or seafood at Tydes, with cocktails at Ty Lounge. Loads to do and a brilliant spa.Sailing - Santa Barbara Harbour and Waterfront has a lot of sailing opportunities.Great walks - Along Butterfly Beach, or even East Beach just a bit up the coast.Sights nearby - Stearns Wharf nearby for art galleries, restaurants and bars.Fishing - Readily avaliable at the local harbour or ask at reception.
Canary Santa Barbara 97 rooms from £242Santa Barbara (California)
Sun drenched and perfect beachfront site with stunning views, rooftop pool and generously sized rooms. Finch & Fork is all about farmer's market produce, seafood and local wines. Rooftop Perch is ideal for sundowners and light bites. Location is on point with Pacific a bike ride away!Great walks - All roads end at State Street and it is worth the stroll through town to get there.Surfing - A popular past time in LA.Fishing - When by the sea.Full of characterRecommended by - Tablet
The Upham 50 rooms from £168Santa Barbara
Built in 1871, the Upham is the oldest continuously operating hotel in Southern California. This downtown Santa Barbara hotel comes with every modern convenience - while staying true to its historic roots. Rooms are simple, extremely comfortable and elegant. A timeless hotel, in a vibrant city.Great walks - 5-minute drive to the beach and Stearns Wharf.Full of characterSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Outstanding location
Spanish Garden Inn 23 rooms from £234Santa Barbara (California)
Mediterranean in style and atmosphere this boutique hotel offers all the mod-cons as well as in-room spa treatments and a fabulous blue lap pool. Rooms are spacious, contemporary and luxurious. Three blocks away is State Street, famous for its many choices of restaurants and shops. Great stay.Great walks - Douglas Family Preserve is a great spot for a walk along the seashore.Surfing - Beaches all around for surfing and other water based activities.Full of characterSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Cheshire Cat 18 rooms from £154Santa Barbara (California)
Victorian B&B welcomes guests with crackling fireplaces, a flower filled garden and private terraces. Natural light floods the comfortable rooms, some have whirlpool tubs. Breakfast in bed, on the terrace or in the garden. A fantastic find in the heart of Santa Barbara. Sea or spa, be sure to visit.Sights nearby - Santa Barbara Museum of Natural History is a great place to hear more about the area and nature.Fishing - Head to the pier and let out a line.Great walks - Along the ocean front.Full of character
Circle Bar B Guest Ranch from £224Santa Barbara (California)
Quiet hideaway in the Santa Ynez wine region; close enough to Santa Barbara for the hustle & bustle, and the ocean for sea air and activities. Large, wooden decorated rooms look out on rolling hill views; guests have access to spa and pool facilities. Family-style dining gives a very homely feel.Back to Nature - Love horses? This is the place for you.Great walks - Truly magical place to explore.Sights nearby - Beaches are closeby.Opulent
Belmond El Encanto 92 rooms from £270Santa Barbara
Serene hotel with stylish bungalows dotted around the lush 7-acre gardens, minutes from Santa Barbara and the Pacific beaches. The refined rooms are furnished with rich fabrics, and all feature a private balcony or patio. The infinity-pool, spa, and restaurant all boast spectacular ocean viewsLocal exploring - Only 5 minutes' drive from central Santa Barbara, with the Mission, Botanical Gardens and Municipal Golf Course all featuringBeach Life - The hotel has a free shuttle service and electric bikes to reach the Pacific beaches of Santa BarbaraSpa breaksSwimming Pool - The hotel has a heated outdoor saltwater infinity-pool with spectacular views of the Pacific OceanRecommended by - Tablet, Mr & Mrs Smith
Simpson House Inn 15 rooms from £196Santa Barbara (California)
1874 Victorian Mansion turned B&B amid lush gardens and daily wine hour. Rooms are Victorian, with fireplace, four poster bed, hardwood floors and classic bathtubs. Location is perfect for beach life or relaxing in the garden with a book. Restaurants and galleries are walking distance.Great walks - Check out the extensive gardens of the Santa Barbara Botanical Gardens.Fishing - Go out and do some deep sea fishing with some local experts.Hideaway - A truly quiet and intimate stay.Restrictions on children