Search the best hotels in Sausalito
On the other side of the Golden Gate Bridge there's a wooded hillside tumbling down to sea, sprawling with postcard-perfect houses and a picturesque old marina bobbing with colourful houseboats... Welcome to Sausalito. Most people just come for the day, cycling across San Francisco to grab a bite to eat at one of the many restaurants straddling the sunny and romantic seaside boardwalk, but this is to their own detriment. Sausalito has a unique heritage of its own: a centre of shipbuilding during WW2, the shipyard was abandoned by the 60s and taken over by wayward hippies in houseboats. Indeed, Otis Redding composed his famous song, "Sittin' on a dock on the bay" while lazing it around Sausalito, and artists like Prince, Metallica and Fleetwood Mac recorded several albums in the local (but now defunct) Record Plant studio. But the sea takes centre stage in Sausalito: from Rodeo Beach, you can spot dolphins leaping through the sea, and you can pet rescued seals and sea lions at the local Marine Mammal Centre, take a boat tour beneath Golden Gate Bridge or just slum it on the boardwalk, watching the boats go by. An enchanting escape from the noise of San Francisco, Sausalito is the perfect place to go for a romantic break. We've highlighted the best places to stay in Sausalito - all of which have spellbinding views of the sea.
What not to miss
- Take a romantic walk along the boardwalk and check out some of the restaurants nearby!
- Head to the Clipper Yacht Harbour Marina and watch the boats go by...
- Pet some endangered seals and sea lions at the Marine Mammal Centre.
- Book a place on the Sausalito Food & Wine Tour in downtown Sausalito!
- Walk to the Vista Point and get a photo of the Golden Gate Bridge and the city skyline.
- Book a boat tour and explore the area by water...
- Sunbathe on Rodeo Beach. Who knows, maybe you'll see a dolphin!
Picturesque, sunny and quaint, Sausalito sings all things romantic weekend break. While most people come for the day, they're barely skimming the water, so be sure to browse our list of the best places to stay in Sausalito!
The best places to stay in Sausalito
For an Historic stay
- Cavallo Point Lodge is a former residence of U.S Army officers, whic now offers spacious contemporary rooms that have views of the green hillside and San Francisco's skyline. There's a spa and pool for total relaxation and the Murray Circle restaurant is one of the best in the area.
- The Gables Inn was the was the first of its kind in Sausalito; having undergone a recent renovation, the hotel now offers luxury amenities in a heritage style. Unwind with plush carpet underfoot by your wood-burning fireplace before soaking in a private spa bath. Book the Bay Room for romantic views; a charming inn.
- Casa Madrona is a stunning Victorian mansion overlooking the marina. Rooms are light, modern and boast private balconies. Poggio Trattoria dishes up daily changing Italian dishes with locally sourced produce and homegrown vegetables. Spend days unwinding in the spa; an ideal city escape.
- Book The Inn above Tide on Sausalito's waterfront for panoramic San Fran views. The intimate and contemporary boutique boasts large, light rooms with modern, luxury interiors. Enjoy complimentary breakfast on the balcony, or head to the restaurants and cafes close by. A dream romantic city getaway.
For an apartment or villa
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of villas and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to visit is during the summer months, when the temperature ranges between 12 and 17 degrees celsius.
- Fly to San Francisco International Airport.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in San Francisco
- or the best places to stay in California
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Sausalito
Best Hotels in Sausalito
The Gables Inn Sausalito 15 rooms from £176City Style - Set in a historic property close to the iconic Golden Gate Bridge, this hotel has lots of local Sausalito styleRomantic Break - Couples love the heritage details at this hotel; book a luxury suite for a fireplace and beautiful bay viewsLocal exploring - Located close to the main Bay Area attractions, this hotel is the perfect base for local exploringSights nearby - Visit the iconic Golden Gate Bridge, one of the Bay Area's most famous landmarks
This historic inn was the first in Sausalito; having undergone a recent renovation, the hotel now offers luxury amenities in a heritage style. Unwind with plush carpet underfoot by your wood-burning fireplace before soaking in a private spa bath. Book the Bay Room for romantic views; a charming inn. See More
Casa Madrona Sausalito (California) 63 rooms from £195Great walks - Take long walks through the Muir Woods and along the Marin Headlands.Sailing - Spend a day sailing with the Sausalito Yacht Club.Tennis - The nearby tennis club has everything you need.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.Recommended by - Tablet
The Inn above Tide Sausalito (California) 31 rooms from £300Birdwatching - Take a picnic from the hotel and go into the wilderness to see the many species of birds of the region.Sights nearby - The Golden Gate Bridge is 5 minutes away as well as in the views of the hotel.Sailing - Head to Sausalito Yacht Club for a days sailing.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
Panoramic San Fran views at the intimate and contemporary boutique on Sausalito waterfront. Large, light rooms are as much about the view as their modern, luxury interiors. Complimentary breakfast on the balcony, or head to the restaurants and cafes stones throw away. A dream romantic city getaway See More
Cavallo Point Lodge Sausalito (California) 142 rooms from £312Cooking classes - Ask at reception and get into the kitchen with cooking classes for all.Kayaking - Guided kayak tours under the Golden Gate Bridge.Landmark - Golden Gate Bridge is a stones throw away.Sights nearby - Tours to Fort Baker are a must.
Formerly the residence of the U.S Army Officers, spacious contemporary rooms have views of the green hillside or San Francisco's skyline. Spa and pool for relaxation and the Murray Circle restaurant offers a taster menu for those who want to try it all. Loads of activities and a great location. See More