Search the best hotels in Winston-Salem
Tucked between the Blue Ridge Mountains and the Atlantic Ocean, Winston-Salem is a small city with a colourful creative heart. One of the top places to live in North Carolina, this buzzing metropolis teems with museums, boutiques, micro-breweries, art galleries and spacious public parks. Accommodation options range from historic B&Bs to swish boutique hotels, fit for a whole host of tastes and budgets. Many of the best places to stay in Winston-Salem are within the revived dowtown area — right in the heart of the action.
Founded by Protestant Moravians from Eastern Europe in the 18th Century, the city began as two separate settlements, eventually fusing together as they grew. Catch a glimpse of this intriguing past at Historic Bethabara Park, the site of the first Moravian settlement in North Carolina. The area is now popular with trail runners, hikers and bird watchers, and offers visitors the opportunity to experience a reconstructed colonial village. Old Salem Museum & Gardens, too, has a living history museum perfect for travellers of all ages. Don’t miss taking the kids to the Kaleideum Museum for brilliant child-focused exhibits!
Follow the Winston-Salem Art Trail to admire the best of the city’s street art, amble around the Reynolds House Museum of American Art, and stroll into the bustling boutiques and galleries of Trade Street, which also had a great vintage-chic market. Guided tours and tastings of rum and whiskey at Broad Branch Distillery come highly recommended, as do chocolate factory explorations and visits to the many vineyards of the nearby Yadkin Valley.
A fabulous city break destination, Winston-Salem also has great eateries, bars and live music venues. Speak to the team at the best places to stay in Winston-Salem for the low-down on the coolest events of the season!
The Best Places to Stay in Winston-Salem
For City Chic
- The Cardinal is a glamorous Art Deco gem in Winston-Salem's revived downtown district. Expect swish, grown-up rooms and suites with yoga mats and free-standing tubs. The elegant French restaurant is a lively evening spot, and the games room features a two-storey spiral slide. Funky, chic and romantic.
For Families or Groups
- The Historic Brownstone Inn promises a charming base on the edge of the downtown area, with exposed brick walls and big cosy beds in rooms which can easily accommodate families or larger groups. A nineteenth-century inn perfect for history buffs and popular as an event venue.
- Hotel Indigo Winston-Salem Downtown is a great-value choice for a fun family stay, a business trip or a weekend with friends. Interiors are bright and quirky, with meeting facilities, a fitness centre and a farm-to-table restaurant. Flexible suites have space for additional guests, and the vibe is friendly and relaxed. Pets are welcome!
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Piedmont Triad International Airport, 20 miles east of downtown Winston-Salem, or to Charlotte Douglas International Airport, 1.5 hours' drive away.
- North Carolina is a wonderful region to explore by road. Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Visit during the summer months for warm, balmy temperatures, averaging at around 30°C between June and August. Time your trip for the spring (March - May) or autumn (September - October) for fewer crowds, cooler temperatures and great hotel offers.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our pick of all the best places to stay in Greensboro.
- Broaden your search to include the best places to stay in North Carolina.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Winston-Salem
Best Hotels in Winston-Salem
Hotel Indigo Winston-Salem Downtown Winston-Salem 75 rooms from £90Local exploring - Discover the historic Tobacco city experiencing a revival with its trendy nightlife and barsGreat walks - The National Historic Landmark Bethabara Park offers walking trails and birdwatchingRestaurant - Sir Winston Restaurant offers farm-to-table fareDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
A boutique hotel, set in the historic Pepper Building, in the vibrant arts district. Contemporary rooms feature bright colourful accents and modern white-tiled bathrooms. Dine at the farm-to-table restaurant and sample local NC wines. A chic stay in a buzzing part of town. See More
The Historic Brookstown Inn Winston-Salem 70 rooms from £105Local exploring - Between the numerous museums, wineries and restaurants, Winston-Salem offers a diversity that will please any visitorSights nearby - Just steps away from Old Salem Museums and GardensFishing - Spend the day fishing on Lake Salem
A historic mill turned boutique inn just moments from Downtown Winston-Salem. Elegant and sleek rooms feature original exposed brick walls, wooden beams, antique furnishings and marble rainfall showers. Perfect base for discovering the area. Encapsulates authentic southern charm! See More
The Cardinal Winston-Salem 174 rooms from £158City Style - An elegant Art Deco skyscrapper turned glamorous hotel in Salem's newly hip downtown districtSights nearby - The Downtown Arts District is well worth wandering around- check out the cafes, galleries and breweriesRomantic - Good for couples.Views - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Tablet
A cool and collected Art Deco masterpiece in Winston Salem's newly revived downtown. Simple and comfortable rooms and suites with subtle design features and in room yoga mats. The restaurant is a refined French affair with a lively atmosphere, and the games room features a 2-story spiral slide. See More