Search the best hotels in Hanoi
Vietnam's beautiful historic capital, Hanoi is a city of contradictions. Home to elegant French-era edifices on one hand, it’s also a chaotic maze of lanes lined with food stalls and bustling markets, overlooked by the glittering high-rises of the rapidly modernising business district. Whatever it is that draws you to the city, you’ll be looking for a top-notch hotel or guesthouse — and this is where our Gurus’ list of the best places to stay in Hanoi comes in. Read on for a flavour of this vibrant northern metropolis and its most marvellous properties.
Most visitors are drawn to Hanoi’s busy Old Quarter — also known as the Hoan Kiem District — where you’ll find foot stalls spilling out onto the street, crumbling shophouses, cafés, boutiques and bars. Guided walking tours are a terrific way to discover this colourful neighbourhood, deemed by many to be the true heart and soul of the city. Don’t miss strolling around lovely Hoan Kiem Lake to see the Ngoc Son Temple, or visiting the Hai Ba Trung Temple and Mã Mây House.
You’ll find the elegant French Quarter, where imposing façades reflect the city’s past as the capital of French Indochina from the 1880s to the 1950s, just to the southeast. More laid-back, this district houses the Presidential Palace, the yellow-painted Hanoi Opera House and 19th-century St Joseph’s Cathedral. The sobering Hoa Lo Prison, dubbed ‘The Hanoi Hilton’ by the American POWs held within its walls, is another key landmark. There are cultural attractions aplenty beyond these areas, too, such as Ho Chi Minh’s Mausoleum and the ancient Temple of Literature. Gather in the evening for atmospheric walking tours, live music nights or fine dining experiences at some of the best places to stay in Hanoi.
The Best Places to Stay in Hanoi
For Boutique Chic
- AIRA Boutique Hanoi Hotel & Spa is an upscale city bolthole with 60 lavish rooms and suites. Brilliant for romantic couples as well as families, rooms have big cosy beds, smart bathrooms and interconnecting options. The rooftop pool & lively sky bar are both highlights.
- The InterContinental Hanoi Westlake is an impressive, resort-style hotel overlooking the city's largest lake. Opulent rooms and suites promise expansive views and luxury amenities, whilst three restaurants and the chic Sunset Bar will delight foodies. For dazzling weddings or city breaks to remember.
- Hotel de L'Opera offers an elegant stay in Hanoi's atmospheric Old Quarter. There are few truly luxurious hotels in the neighbourhood, but this bold, 107-room property has hip interiors, fusing timeless French style with contemporary Vietnamese artistry. Expect warm tones, with lots of dark wood and velvet. Superbly well located, moments from the Hanoi Opera House.
- Sofitel Legend Metropole, also just across from the Hanoi Opera House, has been a city icon since it opened in 1901. A beautifully restored French-era hotel with glamorous interiors, it's a favourite amondst well-heeled travellers. The hotel's fabulous cookery school will delight foodies, whilst partygoers will adore live music nights and frequent events. Very indulgent.
For Great Value
- Maison d'Orient has 12 simple rooms with hardwood flooring, large double doors leading to private balconies, and flexible options for additional guests. A relaxed, affordable choice in the Old Quarter with bicycles for exploring.
- Golden Silk Boutique Hotel, also in the Old Quarter, has 55 elegant rooms with rosewood floors, traditional art pieces set above big beds, and superb modern bathrooms. There's a Vietnamese fusion restaurant as well as a piano bar and a rooftop terrace. Reasonably priced and well-suited to couples or business travellers.
- Anise Hotel, close to Hoan Kiem Lake, is another appealingly affordable city base. The 11th-floor restaurant offers excellent views, whilst many of the 42 rooms and suites overlook the lake. Budget-conscious groups and families will appreciate large rooms with multiple beds.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or villa we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Noi Bai International Airport, 45 minutes by taxi from Hanoi's enchanting old quarter. There are regular buses into town from the airport, although they tend to take longer. Choose a reputable taxi company - such as Hanoi Taxi, Man Linh Taxi and Taxi CP - or speak to your hotel in advance about an airport pick-up. If travelling from within the region, consider taking the train to Gia Lam Station or Hanoi Station.
- The city is easy to navigate by public transport, but if you're comfortable driving in Asia and intend to venture into the surrounding countryside, contact our partner Rentalcars to hire a car.
- Visit between December and April for warm, dry weather, with temperatures ranging between 25–35°C. December is the coolest time of year, with temperatures heating up and becoming increasingly humid from January onwards. Expect more rain between May and October, when it's well worth carrying an umbrella!
STILL NOT SURE?
- Expand your search to discover the best places to stay in Sapa.
- Alternatively, check out our pick of the best places to stay in Vietnam.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Hanoi
Best Hotels in Hanoi
Maison d'Orient Hanoi (Hoan Kiem, Vietnam) 12 rooms from £40Local exploring - In Hanoi's bustling Old Quarter, this is a terrific base for on-foot explorations of historic sights, stalls & marketsValue chic - A carefully renovated heritage property with inviting rooms at affordable prices & spaces for guests of all agesGreat walks - Guided walking tours - especially those with a foodie focus - are a brilliant way to experience central HanoiMuseums - Visit the Ho Chi Minh Museum and Mausoleum, or delve into Vietnam's dark past at Hoa Lo Prison Museum
Golden Silk Boutique Hotel Hanoi (Hoan Kiem District, Vietnam) 55 rooms from £53City Style - Contemporary Vietnamese design with gorgeous bathrooms, well-located for exploring as well as great shoppingLocal markets - Stroll to the Dong Xuan Market and the Weekend Night Market, both abuzz with hawkers and keen shoppersValue chic - A very reasonably priced option for a chic stay in the heart of the cityTheatre - Catch an atmospheric cultural peformance at the Water Puppet Theatre
An elegant hotel situated in Hanoi's vibrant Old Quarter. Chic rooms feature rosewood floors, enormous beds and large works of Vietnamese art. Uber-modern bathrooms have big bathtubs, there's a Vietnamese fusion restaurant, a rooftop bar and a piano bar. Well-priced and well-located. See More
Anise Hotel Hanoi (Ba Dinh, Vietnam) 42 rooms from £61Close to nightlife - A multitude of lively bars and restaurants await within walking distance, perfect for a night out on the townGroups - Groups of friends can share affordable rooms with multiple beds, and will appreciate the great locationLocal markets - Get a taste of Hanoi life at the bustling Dong Xuan Market, where stalls brim with fresh produceValue chic - A simple, well-priced stay for budget-conscious travellers in the city
A simple & affordable contemporary hotel at the bottom end of Hoan Kiem Lake. Smart, comfortable rooms have crisp linen, local art and modern bathrooms. The 11th floor restaurant boasts great city views, plus there's a gym, bar and business centre. Brilliant for budget-conscious group trips. See More
Aira Boutique Hanoi Hotel & Spa Hanoi (Vietnam) 60 rooms from £111Local exploring - A stylish hotel in the heart of the Old Quarter ideally placed for the best street food, quirky boutiques & historic landmarksGreat walks - Join on of the hotel's guides for a superb street food tour of Hanoi's old quarter, either at lunchtime or in the eveningBusiness meetings - A great base for a chic business trip, complete with meeting rooms & event spaces - including the rooftop barHotel Entertainment - Expect live music performances at Aira Sky Bar on Friday, Saturday & Sunday evenings
An upscale boutique hotel in Hanoi's bustling Old Quarter, crowned by a rooftop pool & lively sky bar, famed for its craft cocktails. The 60 lavish rooms & suites - some inter-connecting for families - have big beds topped with crisp white sheets, warm blue or red accents & smart bathrooms. Lovely. See More
La Siesta Classic Ma May Hanoi (Vietnam) 50 rooms from £115Local exploring - Brilliantly located for exploring Hanoi's enchanting Old Quarter on foot, or taking a guided food tourFamilies - Book a two-bedroom family suite or duplex, and enjoy the hotel's friendly vibe and fun private cinemaGreat walks - Take an early morning walk around Hoan Kiem Lake, stopping at the Ngoc Son Temple & joining a tai chi sessionRestaurant - Enjoy delicious Southeast Asian fare at Red Bean Ma May RestaurantRecommended by - I Escape
A charming boutique hotel in the Old Quarter, with spacious rooms and suites as well as a buzzy rooftop bar with impressive 360-degree city views. Well-appointed, elegant guest suites — some with two bedrooms — have hardwood floors, traditional hanging lamps & velvet-upholstered seats. Lovely. See More
InterContinental Hanoi Westlake Hanoi (Vietnam) 318 rooms from £139Business meetings - A fabulous business hotel, with extensive state-of-the-art meeting facilites and private event optionsLocal markets - Visit the fragrant Quang Ba Night Flower Market to admire beautiful blossoms at bustling stallsWeddings - Grand weddings in the ballroom are splendid, as are the lake views from the romantic suitesTheatre - Catch a performance at the iconic, century-old Hanoi Opera House
A star on Hanoi’s hotel scene, the Intercontinental Hanoi Westlake offers all the luxurious amenities you’d expect from the five-star hotel group. Boasting three restaurants serving modern Vietnamese fare and fine Italian, as well as an atmospheric roof top bar. Rooms are chic and classic. See More
Peridot Grand Luxury Boutique Hotel Hanoi (Vietnam) from £149City Style - Sleek interiors with lots of marble and jewel-like tones, plus a hip rooftop bar make this a tremendously stylish city hotelLocal exploring - Perfectly located for discovering the charming Old Quarter, and within walking distance of Dong Xuan MarketHotel Entertainment - Expect vibrant live DJ nights at Ignite Sky Bar, which boasts 360 views of Hanoi's Old QuarterCooking classes - Tour the local market & pick up fresh produce to cook three dishes which you'll then savour for lunch or dinner
A swish contemporary hotel in the city's beautiful Old Quarter, crowned by a rooftop pool and hip bar, inviting well-heeled guests to kick back in serious style. Indulgent rooms, suites and communal areas feature warm teal tones, with lots of brass, velvet and marble. Fresh, trendy & very popular. See More
Grand Mercure Hanoi Hanoi (Vietnam) 181 rooms from £155City Style - A hip high-rise with glamorous rooftop bar & pool, plus sleek guest rooms & facilities, this is a stylish city break choiceRestaurant - Tuck into flavoursome Asian cuisine at CÁT VỊ and international fare at LỘC-Ally, a relaxed all-day dining restaurantSpa - Relax with a signature massaege at the Sống SpaSwimming Pool - Glass-walled rooftop infinity pool
A glitzy high-rise addition to Hanoi's hotel scene, the Grand Mercure's 181 rooms & suites take their inspiration from traditional Vietnamese design. Expect superb city views from guest rooms with elegant four-posters, freestanding tubs & glossy red lacquered furnishings. Glittering & glamorous. See More
Hotel de L'Opera Hanoi (Hoan Kiem district, Vietnam) 107 rooms from £155Romantic Break - Sumptuous suites, gourmet fare & a spa make this a marvellous choice for a romantic city breakTheatre - Catch a peformance at the famed Thang Long Water Puppet Theatre or the Hanoi Opera HouseCity Style - A truly elegant hotel merging French colonial style with modern Vietnamese vibrancySights nearby - Visit the Cathedral of St Joseph and the Temple of Literature.Recommended by - Tablet
A luxury property in Hanoi's Old Quarter. Hip contemporary design runs throughout. Dramatic paintings reside above the bed that features an impossibly thick mattress. Dark pink furniture brings splashes of colour. An elegant bar and classic Vietnamese restaurant. One of Hanoi's finest. See More
Smarana Hanoi Heritage Hanoi (Vietnam) from £161Romantic Break - A romantic, creative hotel bedecked with folk art & offering a chic rooftop bar & lovely restaurant for evenings with loved onesGreat walks - Take a guided street food tour of Hanoi's Old Quarter, hopping aboard the hotel's shuttle to get thereRestaurant - Feast on gourmet French cuisine at La Carpe restaurant, with views over Cau Giay districtSpa - Enjoy wonderfully relaxing treatments at Le Paon Spa
Inspired by its colourful collection of Hang Trong folk paintings, this boutique gem's opulent rooms & suites are bedecked in jewel-like tones. Named for the seasons, they have a warm, whimsical feel. The theme continues at the gourmet French eatery & rooftop bar. Perfect for romantics & creatives See More
Sofitel Legend Metropole Hanoi (Hoàn Kiếm, Vietnam) 364 rooms from £272Theatre - Just 160 metres from the famous Hanoi Opera House, perfect for catching an operatic performance after dinnerFoodies - The hotel's restaurants are some of the best you'll find in Hanoi & the culinary school is second-to-noneCity Style - An iconic building fusing the French-era charm of its 1901 origins with sophisticated modern styleCooking classes - The hotel's fabulous cookery school offers half-day and full-day coursesRecommended by - Kiwi Collection, Tablet, Fodors, I Escape
A Hanoi icon since its opening in 1901, this grand historic hotel promises a sophisticated fusion of French colonial-era charm and more contemporary glamour. Generous rooms & suites are housed in two wings, and guests are invited to gather in terrific bars & eateries. A timeless city landmark. See More
Capella Hanoi Hanoi (Vietnam) 47 rooms from £404Romantic Break - A tremendously romantic hotel brimming with 1920s Jazz Age glamour, perfect for well-heeled couplesFoodies - A foodie's paradise, the hotel boasts a Michelin-starred Chef's Table: Hibana by KokiRestaurant - Feast at teppanyaki restaurant Koki, on New York-style fare at Hudson Rooms or gourmet Vietnamese dishes at theatrical BackstageGreat walks - Stroll from Hoàn Kiếm Lake through the old quarter, stopping for steaming street food & to marvel at heritage architectureRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
An exceptionally glamorous hotel hidden behind a striking art nouveau façade near the enchanting Old Quarter. Inspired by the golden age of opera, designer Bill Bensley has created a flamboyant world of theatrical restaurants with glittering chandeliers & lavish suites with marble bathrooms. Superb! See More