Search the best hotels in Sapa
A famously spectacular mountain escape, Sapa will delight both outdoorsy travellers and culture aficionados. Popularised as a hill station during the French era due to its natural beauty and cool climate, Sapa has long been home to some of Vietnam's oldest tribes, including the H’mong, the Dao and the Tay. Whether you’re eager to delve into traditional craft revival or to hike through the verdant mountains of the Hoang Lien National Park, this is a destination unlike any other. Our Gurus’ recommendations of the best places to stay in Sapa are the perfect starting point for planning your trip! We've discovered a wide range of properties from a stunning hilltop eco-lodge to great value boutique stays in the centre of town.
Sapa itself — also known as Sa Pa — was named after a nearby market town by the French. It’s now the region’s bustling hub, and an ideal base for adventures. Explore the old town to marvel at heritage buildings, ponder handicrafts and fresh produce at the bustling Saturday market, and visit the Sapa Cultural Museum for a sense of the region’s history and ethnology. For a deeper understanding of the ethnic minorities and hill tribes who have lived here for centuries, however, take a reputable guided tour to nearby villages where families continue to live in traditional homes and skilled artisans create intricate hand-dyed clothing and jewellery using age-old methods.
Keen hikers and mountain bikers will be fascinated by the iridescent terraced rice fields of the Muong Hoa Valley and the leafy peaks of the Hoang Lien National Park. Mist-framed Mount Fansipan, Vietnam’s highest mountain at 3143m, is visible from Sapa and makes for a challenging hike. You’ll find ample opportunities for kayaking or fishing on lakes and rivers, too. Return to one of the best places to stay in Sapa to savour flavoursome hill country cuisine within sight of the mountains.
The Best Places to Stay in Sapa
- Hotel de la Coupole is a wonderfully glamorous property with a beautiful 1930s feel. Expect glittering chandeliers, rooms with red velvet upholstery and free-standing tubs, and a real sense of decadence. A superb hotel, inspired by French Indochina and brilliant for lavish honeymoons.
- Silk Path Grand Resort & Spa has spacious contemporary suites with nods to tradition seen through colourful handwoven textiles. Feast at one of two elegant restaurants before gathering in the billiards room. The fabulous Chi Spa is the real draw — though sunset cocktails on the terrace are also a treat.
- BB Sapa Resort & Spa, a relaxed, red-roofed hotel with spacious rooms, suites and studios fusing traditional Vietnamese and French elements, is a family favourite. Pile in to a family studio, enjoy hikes and bike rides, or kick back in the pool. There's a kids club for the little one and a spa for the grown-ups.
- Aliana Boutique Hotel & Spa has inter-connecting rooms, family suites and duplex suites, perfect for families or groups. Interiors are smart and grown-up, with dark wooden walls and beds topped with crisp whiteh linens and handwoven textiles, but the feel is that of a friendly mountain lodge. A great base for trekking and mountain biking.
- KK Sapa Hotel, well-located in Sapa's old town, is also brilliant for families. Generously proportioned contemporary rooms have bamboo furnishings and large private balconies with impressive views. The kids club will be a sure-fire hit, as will the swimming pool, the access to outdoor activities, and the leafy gardens. Expect fantastic food, too.
For Rural Indulgence
- Sapa Jade Hill Resort is a restful retreat within easy reach of Sapa's old town. Rooms, suites and villas have a rustic yet elegant feel, with exposed wood, handwoven textiles and marvellous views. The soothing spa showcases natural healing therapies, the glass-roofed pool opens to the sky, and pop-up market evenings celebrate traditional cuisine. Very romantic.
- Topas Eco-Lodge overlooks the Hoang Lien National Park. Remote and tranquil, the lodge is made up of carefully crafted villas with stone walls and pale wood interiors reflecting minimalist Scandinavian style. Take art classes, unwind in two infinity pools and enjoy rejuvenating retreats at the serene spa. A luxurious escape.
For Great Value
- Sapa Horizon Hotel is an intimate, laid-back choice close to the heart of town, though its comfortable rooms still boast mountain views from floor-to-ceiling windows and private terraces. Great for families or groups, this little hotel also has a casual Vietnamese restaurant and very reasonable rates.
- Eden Boutique Hotel, also near Sapa's centre, is an affordable boutique bolthole with bright, fresh rooms clad in warm red and blue tones. There's a small spa, a restaurant and inter-connecting rooms behind the white-painted classical façade.
- My Boutique Hotel & Spa has chic, largely monochromatic interiors in rooms with large French windows. Pick this place for a stylish, more urban feel, and for the delicious Vietnamese fare in the restaurant. Great value considering the quality of the interiors.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you’d prefer to stay in an apartment or villa we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Hanoi's Noi Bai International Airport, and travel up to Sapa by road or rail. The railway journey from Hanoi to Lao Cai Railway Station, the gateway to Sapa, takes around eight hours, whilst the drive should take less than five.
- If you're comfortable driving in Asia, contact our partner Rentalcars to hire a car.
- Expect daytime temperatures of 15–20°C during the dry season, which runs from October to March. April to September are the rainiest months, popular with nature enthusiasts and photographers, but potentially difficult for hiking as paths tend to be slippery when muddy and wet.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Expand your search to discover the best places to stay in Hanoi.
- Alternatively, check out our pick of the best places to stay in Vietnam.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Sapa
Best Hotels in Sapa
Eden Boutique Hotel Sapa (Lao Cai, Vietnam) 25 rooms from £32Trekking - Explore Dragon Jaw Mountain, Ham Rong Mountain and Muong Hoa Valley, famous for its photogenic rice terracesGroups - Families and groups will appreciate inter-connecting rooms and options with additional bedsSights nearby - Sapa's main sqaure and church are just 300 metres away, perfect for on-foot explorersValue chic - A simple, central and affordable base for holidays to Sapa
Great-value boutique hotel situated in the heart of Sapa. The property's prime location means that both trekking in the surrounding rice paddies and exploring local street markets are easy to do. Rooms and suites feel fresh and are tastefully decorated. There is a good Vietnamese restaurant and spa. See More
Sapa Horizon Hotel Sapa (Vietnam) 25 rooms from £61Trekking - Take guided hikes through the verdant mountains, spotting refreshing waterfalls & lus rice paddy fieldsFamilies - Family suites and the attractive price tag make this a great choice for those travelling with childrenLocal markets - Join the crowds at Sapa's bustling Night Market, famed for its beautiful textiles and handicraftsLocal exploring - Set in the heart of the Sapa, within walking distance of the market and many restaurants
A charming small hotel set right in the heart of Sapa. Despite its location, most of the rooms offer superb mountain views from their large picture frame windows. The best have private balconies, whilst a casual restaurant serves Vietnamese fare. A laid-back choice, perfect for exploring. See More
KK Sapa Hotel Sapa (Province Lao Cai, Vietnam) 186 rooms from £71Great walks - Facing the iridescent paddy fields of the Muong Hoa Valley, this is a fabulous starting point for scenic walks & hikesFoodies - Enjoy delicious gourmet dining at Sin Chai or Ta Phin restaurants, or cocktails at elegant Ban Ho barFamilies - The large family suites and kids' club make this an ideal choice for those travelling with childrenCooking classes - Take a fun Vietnamese cooking class, focusing on the fragrant dishes of the northern hills
A luxury hotel perfectly positioned in the Old Quarter of Sapa with wonderful mountain views. Spacious rooms are minimalist and contemporary with bamboo furniture and large private terraces. An elegant restaurant serves Vietnamese cuisine and the spa and indoor pool are a spoiling touch. See More
BB Sapa Resort & Spa Sapa (Vietnam) 57 rooms from £77Families - Large family studios, a kids club, gardens & a big swimming pool make this a fun spot for guests of all agesBack to Nature - Nestled in Vietnam's northwest highlands, this is a fabulous base for nature-focused hiking & biking tripsTrekking - Clamber up imposing Mount Fansipan, the region's highest peak, for beautiful viewsTennis - Challenge family and friends to a game of tennis on one of the hotel's courts
A lovely, red-roofed traditional hotel with both French & Vietnamese influences in spacious rooms, suites and studios. Expect beautiful views of the surrounding mountains & lush gardens from inviting rooms with four-poster beds, handwoven textiles & polished wooden furnishings. Classic & indulgent. See More
My Boutique Hotel & Spa Sapa (Vietnam) 25 rooms from £92Trekking - Trek through the surrounding mountains for the day, or challenge yourself to the two-day hike up Mt FansipanCity Style - A stylish choice with a chic, contemporary feel, including crisp white linens & warm blue tonesValue chic - A smart boutique stay offered at exceptionally good ratesLocal markets - Pick up local handicrafts at the bustling Sapa Market
A smart boutique property offering chic modern style right in the heart of Sapa town. Spacious rooms feature dark wooden furniture, crisp white linen, and large french windows. An elegant restaurant serves fine-dining Vietnamese fare paired with an excellent wine list. Chic and reasonably priced. See More
Sapa Jade Hill Resort Sapa (Vietnam) 100 rooms from £92Hotel Entertainment - Don't miss the hotel's small pop-up market, showcasing traditional food and crafts by the minority tribes who live around SapaMountain biking - Challenge yourself to scenic mountain bike excursions in the surrounding mountains and rice paddies with family and friendsWeddings - A beautiful hotel for intimate weddings and events, with striking spaces, fabulous traditional cuisine and a romantic feelHideaway - Set in the hills near Sapa, this is a wonderful a rejuvenating hideaway with an indulgent spa & nature-focused activities
A luxury resort close to Sapa's old town yet surrounded by scenic countryside. Light rooms, suites & private villas with endless mountain views also boast traditional textiles & natural wood. The perfect hideaway, with a soothing spa, heated pool & charming pop-up market within leafy grounds. See More
Aliana Boutique Hotel & Spa Sapa (Lao Cai Province, Vietnam) 50 rooms from £99Cycling - Hop aboard one of the hotel's bicycles to discover Sapa and the surrounding villages at your own paceHideaway - A quiet Sapa stay, surrounded by mountains yet just a short walk into the bustling townCity Style - An ultra modern mountain hotel with sleek, contemporary interiors and expansive viewsGreat walks - Hike along the Muong Hoa River, with verdant views of the surrounding Valley
An elegant boutique hotel offering a picturesque, quiet location on the edge of Sapa yet with easy access to town. Spacious rooms have high ceilings, dark parquet flooring, and wood-panelled walls. The best boast large balconies with awesome mountain views. A chic base for hiking holidays. See More
Silk Path Grand Resort & Spa Sapa (Vietnam) 152 rooms from £108Spa breaks - Unwind in the beautiful Chi Spa, with everything from Swedish massages to natural treatments using the Dao tribe's healing herbsBack to Nature - Perched on a hill overlooking the Hoang Lien Son Mountain Range, this is a superb spot for relaxed nature loversHotel Entertainment - Spend a lively night in the hotel's glitzy Karaoke Club, which is great fun for guests of all agesTrekking - Take treks through the rice paddies and mountains, finding beautiful waterfalls along the way
A luxury hotel set on a hill overlooking the surrounding mountain range. Spacious suites and rooms are smart and contemporary with a touch of local flair seen through handwoven traditional textiles. Two elegant restaurants serve Asian and European fare. The extensive spa, however, is the real lure. See More
Hotel de la Coupole Sapa (Lao Cai Province, Vietnam) 249 rooms from £115Honeymoons - A glamorous honeymoon choice, with lavish suites and hip hangout areas, all inspired by timeless French eleganceLocal markets - Pick up handwoven textiles and unusual handicrafts made by the region's skilled hill tribes at Sapa MarketCity Style - A beautifully appointed luxury hotel with all the mod cons, perfect for a stylish stay in SapaBirdwatching - Spot rare birds on a guided excursion through the stunning Hoang Lien Son National Park
Utter opulence in the hills of Sapa. Expect exuberant French Indochine style with grand proportions and spectacular views from every angle. Suites and rooms have rolltop baths and private terraces. The fine-dining restaurants are equally impressive, making this a five-star mountain escape. See More
Topas Ecolodge Sapa (Vietnam) 41 rooms from £228Art Classes - Take a textile workshop, discovering the processes & patterns used by the Red Dao & Black H’Mong for their clothing & homewareBack to Nature - A secluded spot with 360 degree views of the surrounding mountains, plus hikes and bike rides aplentyTrekking - Take a guided 7km hike through some of the most remote scenery of the Hoang Lien National ParkHideaway - A fabulous luxury eco-escape for guests of all ages, complete with indulgent rooms & a spa
A unique ecolodge set in a remote and beautiful location overlooking the Hoang Lien National Park. Carefully crafted bungalows are made using natural material and offer both luxury and seclusion. The two infinity pools are simply spectacular, plus there's a spoiling spa. A perfect escape to nature. See More