The 20 Best Hotels in Rural Provence
If you've always dreamed of spending time in the real Provence, this one is for you! Our experts have uncovered the very best hotels in rural Provence to share with you. They’ve dug deep into this picturesque countryside to discover bijou hotels in wonderful little medieval villages with cobbled streets, church towers and bountiful, almost daily, food markets; converted farmhouse hotels surrounded by lavender fields, olive groves or vineyards — and views beyond of the mountains or the Mediterranean; and chic townhouse conversions in bustling, historic Roman towns, with their little art galleries and elegant ruins. Use our guide to the best hotels in rural Provence and plan your next trip to enjoy the pleasures of the view, the incredible food and drink, those smells, and that sky.
For the Scrapbook
- Le Mas D'Aigret is a charming villa in a superb spot, overlooking the Alpilles and the Valley of Baux, with some of this elegant building actually carved into the rock behind it, including two generously proportioned hotel rooms and the dining room. There are 14 other rooms and suites, including a collection of two room suites which are ideal for families. The gardens surrounding the hotel are lush and fragrant, and there’s a heated pool and sunny terrace. The gourmet restaurant is known for its regional recipes and locally sourced produce.
For a Rural Retreat
- With its sunny terraces, expansive lavender-scented gardens and grand farmhouse feel, Domaine des Clos is quintessentially Provençal. This 18th century, green-shuttered, stone clad, picturesque country retreat on an old wine estate is the stuff of Provençal dreams. Its 18 rooms, suites and nine self-catering apartments mean there’s a configuration to suit most families and small groups. There’s also a pool and a welcoming range of communal spaces to relax and enjoy each others company. It’s also well located for Nimes, Arles and Avignon.
- Mas de Fauchon is a very French feeling countryside escape, a caringly converted farmhouse in which the original stone fireplaces, tiles, beams and shutters have been retained, but contemporary comforts have been added. There are 16 rooms and suites, and a charming restaurant specialising in regional dishes. In the warmer months the restaurant spills out onto a terrace and into the lush, scented gardens.
- Le Mas de Peint is a charming, 18th century country house hotel with 13 rustic chic rooms and suites and beautiful grounds. Its large enough to feel like a hotel, but still small enough to give the impression of being a grand house owned by a lucky acquaintance. Gourmet suppers here are served in the middle of the kitchen, people relax with a book by the pool, and you’ll certainly meet the owners, who breed bulls and horses on their farm next door.
For Vineyard Views
- Les Florêts is a family-run, 15 room hotel set in the wooded hills on a family-owned vineyard in the Gigondas region. The rooms, restaurant and terrace are elegant, and the views are glorious. If you're here in summer you'll be able to appreciate the outdoor dining terrace and the pool too, and whatever season you're here you'll appreciate the excellent cuisine paired with, naturally, the owners own Gigondas.
- The Villa Baulieu is a grand affair — royal originally, having been built by Henry III in 1576. There are 11 elegant rooms on a regal scale, complete with vast windows, opulent fabrics and intricate wallpapers. Outside are 220 hectares of grounds, encompassing wine estate, gardens, fountains, and a swimming pool. There’s no restaurant as such, but they offer an impressive table d’hote supper on request.
- La Bastide de Boulbon is a grand manor house conversion in a pretty medieval village, ideally located for exploring Avignon and Arles. All around the manor are beautiful rural views, with the bastide’s own rose gardens, terraces and pool in the foreground. As well as being idyllic on the outside, the eight rooms and suites on the inside are charming too, with simple, elegant, timeless decor.
- Where can you sleep peacefully in a farmhouse amongst vineyards, orchards, olive groves? L'Enclos des Lauriers Roses. This gorgeous old farmhouse feels more like a country house hotel, with its 23 light, airy rooms and suites, restaurant specialising in local cuisine, extensive wine list and four pools. It's also within a short drive of Nimes, Avignon and Orange, so is one of the best places to stay in rural Provence for people wanting to explore the history of the region without staying in town. Duplex suites and apartments are ideal for families or small groups.
- La Bastide de Voulonne is an attractive sandstone farmhouse surrounded by extensive gardens, herb gardens and lavender fields, just outside Gordes. The 13 rooms and suites range in size, with suites sleeping up to five, and with a welcoming pool and family-friendly Provençal suppers, this is one of our top picks for a family-friendly stay in Provence.
- La Bastide de Moustiers is a 17th century bastide in a spectacular spot, and with a Michelin starred restaurant overseen by Alain Ducasse. The building is charming, and inside the 13 rooms and suites have been kept simple, with original features preserved against a whitewashed backdrop. Outside are lavender-filled gardens, shady terraces and a large pool.
- Le Mas des Romarins is a 19th century villa with wonderful views across to the pretty town of Gordes. There are charming views from the terrace, where drinks and breakfast are served, and from some of the 13 chic, freshly renovated rooms and suites. There’s a lovely garden, with a pool, and the restaurant is excellent, known for its fresh local produce, which equates to a daily changing menu.
- The Domaine du Colombier has been converted from a 14th century country house, and the resulting 24 room hotel has retained many of the most charming original features: fireplaces, tiled floors, grand windows etc, but is now much more comfortable, with big, luxurious bathrooms, cosy lighting and a fantastic pool. Our picks of the rooms have private terraces. The hotel’s gourmet restaurant boasts one Michelin star, and offers a menu inspired by local cuisine. They offer cooking classes onsite too.
For a Provencal Escape
- Le Pont de L'Orme is a charming Provencal villa, set in tranquil gardens on the outskirts of a pretty village and enjoying idyllic views from the terrace. Inside are just five rooms and suites, beautifully decorated by someone who appreciates original features, but also appreciates the pleasures of a clean, crisp, contemporary style. The food and wine are very good too.
- Surrounded by the competing scents of lavender, cypress and olive groves, Le Mas de L'Oulivie is a glorious Provençal farmhouse conversion with stunning views. The 25 rooms and suites retain a hint of the rustic about them, but with contemporary comforts, and the tiled and beamed common areas are still farmhouse-y, but elegant with it. Our favourite rooms have private terraces, and some of the suites are perfect for families. They offer poolside lunches, but come supper time they recommend you take a stroll to one of the local restaurants.
For Chic Design
- Metafort is a super stylish retreat perched on a clifftop overlooking a peaceful valley. There are just six rooms, all light and airy, and featuring wonderful views and minimalist decor, with interesting art and design pieces. The view from the pool is pretty spectacular too, and the breakfasts are excellent.
For Great Value
- Le Mas des Carassins is a converted farmhouse just outside Saint-Remy-de-Provence. The building is charming: two storeys of pale stone with shutters and creepers and just the right number of archways, and the surrounding gardens of lavender and citrus are a Provençal idyll. There are 22 rooms and suites, with farmhouse details like exposed stone walls and heavy fabrics, and some have private terraces too.
- La Buissonnière is a beautiful stone, 18th century villa — once part of a winery, with six charming guestrooms and suites. The views are bucolic, and the decor is simple and relaxing. There’s a pool, gardens, and a restaurant and bar.
- The pretty pink farmhouse which has become B&B, La Ferme Rose is just outside Moustiers, but it feels like it's further away — and possibly in another era! So it's perfect if you're looking for something quirky and original. The charming owner, Kako Vagh, has done a lot of the decor, and is a passionate collector of wonderful things, so the public areas are a wonderful treasure trove. The 11 rooms are fresh and simple — mostly white — and the breakfast is a cut above with good quality coffee and croissants and freshly squeezed orange juice.
- Les Sardines aux Yeux Bleus is a beautiful sandstone B&B in a charming little hamlet, surrounded by other charming little hamlets, so there are plenty of excellent local markets nearby. There's also kayaking, cycling, spectacular walking routes and wine tasting opportunities in the vicinity. There are three rooms and three apartments in this complex, along with a lovely swimming pool and garden. It’s a great choice for families or groups looking for a retreat in rural Provence.
Still not sure where to book?
- You could browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Provence
- consider our Guru’s guide to the Best Hotels in Provence for Foodies, the Best Wine Hotels in Provence or the Best B&Bs in Provence.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Domaine des Clos Nimes (Gard) 18 rooms from £104Cycling - Explore the nearby Alpilles and Camargue National ParksSwimming Pool - large outdoor pool, set in 4 hectares of park with its own olive grove (organic)Local markets - Heaven for foodiesRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Sawdays
Fabulous 18th century provençal mas on an old wine estate with comfy rooms, suites and self catering apartments, each individually decorated. Wonderful gourmet hampers mean that you can sit back and relax in the beautiful gardens after exploring the nearby towns of Arles, Nîmes and Avignon. See More
L'Enclos des Lauriers Roses Nimes (Gard) 23 rooms from £81Country Escape - With a tranquil setting, beautiful rural surrounds, and great food — this is an idyllic rural getawayFamilies - Kids will love the rooms with extra beds for children on a mezzanine plus the large pool and gardensGood wine list - There is a well stocked wine cellar with a collection of over 500 bottles for guests to choose fromLocal exploring - Well positioned for visits to Roman Provence, Avignon, beaches, rivers and hikingRecommended by - Sawdays
La Ferme Rose Moustiers Sainte Marie 11 rooms from £103Country Escape - With stunning views from the garden that has a pool & quiet areas to sit with a glass of wine — this is a relaxing rural escapeRomantic Break - For romantic getaways take one of the balconied suites, with views over the valley and simple elegant interiorsGreat walks - There are endless walks starting from the gardens and heading through the lovely countrysideSights nearby - Visit the stunning Les Gorges du Verdon, one of Europe's most beautiful river gorges
A quirky and charming pink villa b&b in a picturesque rural setting. Rooms are elegant and simple with whitewashed walls, beams, terracotta tiled floors and terraces. There's a pretty garden, a large swimming pool with stunning views and vast collection of the owner's objets. A quaint Provence stay. See More
La Bastide de Boulbon Boulbon, Provence 9 rooms from £139Local exploring - Well set to access some Provence classic including Avignon, Les Baux, Saint-Rémy de Provence, and the Pont du Gard and ArlesCountry Escape - A charming country house situated in a pretty quite village, with stunning gardens and centuries-old plane treesActive Holiday - With hiking, miles of cycling trails, golf courses, and tennis courts all found locallyWalking distance restaurants - There are plenty of very good restaurants in the village, just a stroll awayRecommended by - Sawdays
Beautifully renovated mansion surrounded by rose gardens in a charming medieval village. Cool, contemporary rooms with beamed ceilings, white washed walls and enormous sash windows. Excellent cuisine served on a charming patio. A lovely base to come and completely unwind. See More
Le Mas des Romarins Gordes 13 rooms from £111Local exploring - Well situated for exploring the stunning Luberon area, start with a stroll up to the lovely hilltop village of GordesFoodies - The restaurant is committed to using only the freshest locally sourced ingrediants and so the menus change each daySights nearby - Just a few km away is the still working monastery the Cistercian Abbey of Notre Dame de SenanqueOutstanding location - Located in Gordes, officially designated as one of France’s most beautiful villagesRecommended by - Sawdays, Fodors
Authentic stone-walled 19th century house, with wonderful views, secret gardens, swimming pool and breakfast terrace. The chic Provencal-style rooms are full of character and the highly acclaimed restaurant crafts wonderful food from local produce. An ideal spot for exploring. See More
Les Florêts Vaison La Romaine (84190 Gigondas) 15 rooms from £69Country Escape - An enchanting getaway — sip wine at the foot of the majestic Dentelles de Montmirail, surrounded by lush gardens and vineyardsWine tasting - Sample the wines produced on site by the owners, a thoroughly enjoyable way to pass an eveningLess £ - With rooms starting at just 80 Euros, this is a very reasonably priced Provence hideawayGreat walks - Over 300 km of marked hiking trails wind through lavender fields and vineyardsRecommended by - Sawdays
A charming family-run hotel set amid vineyards, lush gardens and century-old trees. Rooms are elegant and light. Excellent local cuisine is served on a shaded terrace with wine from the hotel vineyard. Lounge by the pool and enjoy the panoramic views. The ideal Provence property. See More
Les Sardines aux Yeux Bleus Aigaliers, Gard 3 rooms from £113Swimming Pool - Lovely Outdoor PoolLocal markets - Good for local colour.Full of characterSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - I Escape, Mr & Mrs Smith
Le Pont de L'Orme Malaucene, Provence 5 rooms from £117Foodies - The regional restaurant serving seasonal dishes on the terrace with wonderful views is a real focal point of the propertyCountry Escape - Ideal for lazy rural breaks where sipping wine, sampling regional dishes and dipping in the pool are order of the dayCycling - Nearby Avignon is best known to be the starting point of the Tour de France so be inspired and get on a bikeWine tasting - Sample local wines on a tour of the surrounding vineyards
A charming Provencal house set in tranquil gardens and boasting lovely far stretching views. Rooms are the perfect mix of clean contemporary style and traditional design. Delicious regional cuisine is served alongside an unsurprisingly good wine list and there's a lovely pool to dip into too. See More
La Buissonnière Hameau de Foussargues, Provence 6 rooms from £95Families - With suites and appartments to rent and plenty of room to run around, it's perfect for a family holiday.Country Escape - Set amidst rolling olive groves and grape vines, it's a great spot for country escape.Great walks - There are plenty of beautiful walking trails through the surrounding olive groves and grape vines.Sights nearby - Take a day trip to Avignon and visit the stunning Papal Palace.
A delightful hotel nestled between vines, on a magnificent 18th century former winery. This characterful hotel has simple, elegant rooms that afford great views out over the gently sloping landscape. Relax by the sumptuous pool or enjoy a tour of the vineyards. A Provençal charmer. See More
Le Domaine du Colombier Malataverne, Provence 24 rooms from £136Country Escape - With a picturesque setting, plenty of history, a large pool, and gorumet cuisine — this is a quintessential Provence stayFoodies - Michelin starred restaurant serving delicious locally inspired cuisine and cookery classes for budding chefsGood wine list - There's a fabulous wine cellar with a selection of over 400 vintagesHistoric - A grand 14th century property which was originally a monastery
A 14th-century country house set in stunning gardens with an outdoor pool. Elegant rooms and suites have a mix of period features and modern fittings; some have private terraces. A Michelin star restaurant serves gourmet meals inspired by the local area and there are cooking classes too. See More
La Bastide de Voulonne Gordes 13 rooms from £103Families - Family suites, early children’s suppers, DVDs galore, a safe pool and lawn areas make this perfect for familiesCountry Escape - A beautifully converted farmhouse with spacious gardens and a lovely pool - the perfect place to come and unwindActive Holiday - Whether you want to hike, cycle, kayak or climb - there are plenty of outdoor pursuits nearbyGreat walks - There are beautiful walks and hikes in the Monts du Vaucluse and the LuberonRecommended by - Sawdays
Le Mas D'Aigret Les Baux-de-Provence (Provence) 16 rooms from £127Families - Kids get their own room in the comfortable family accommodation while they'll love the pool and gardensFull of character - Beautiful bedrooms and dining room carved into the hillside make this a unique and characterful stayCountry Escape - A charming rural base to explore Arles, Avignon, and other treasures of ProvenceViews - Stunning views of the Alpilles, the valley of Baux, vineyards and olive groves
Charming 3* hotel with two bedrooms and a dining room carved out of living rock. All bedrooms decorated in soft hues, each one having its own distinct style. One two-room set designed for families. Glorious views of Alpilles and Valley of Baux. Heated pool, beautiful gardens, and terrace. See More
Metafort Vaucluse, Provence 6 rooms from £230Boutique - A 17th century building that's been beautifully renovated with fresh modern interiors with bold colour and contemporary artworkTotal relaxation - A scenic and secluded Provence B&B complete with a small spa and an infinity pool — the perfect setting for relaxationLocal exploring - There's plenty to do locally from exploring the Nesque canyon to popular attractions like Avignon and GordesRomantic Break - Book the room that you can wheel your bed out onto the terrace for a romantic evening under the starsRecommended by - I Escape
A luxury, design focussed, B&B oozing effortless style and elegance, perched atop a cliff edge with breathtaking views. Chic minimalist rooms are light and airy and reflective of the surrounding nature. Lovingly cooked breakfasts are delicious and the pool is a spectacle. Fabulous. See More
Le Mas de L'Oulivie Les Baux-de-Provence (Chemin départemental 78 F) 27 rooms from £195Families - With comfy family suites, plenty of outdoor space, plus a pool and tennis court — this is an easy option for a family getawayCountry Escape - A quiet hideaway with fabulous views, mature gardens, and a lovely outdoor pool — a quintessential country escapeActive Holiday - Set in the regional natural Park of les Alpilles, the surrounding landscape is ideal for hikers and cyclersOutstanding location - The village Les Baux-de-Provence has been voted one of the Most Beautiful Villages in France
A glorious Provencal house surrounded by lavender, cypress, and olive trees. Country-chic bedrooms and suites are elegant and spacious, some have private terraces. There's an enormous swimming pool, a tennis court, and friendly service. A relaxed hotel - great for families and couples. See More
Mas de Fauchon SAINT-CANNAT, Provence 16 rooms from £113Foodies - The inventive Provençal-inspired cuisine, based on seasonal products, makes this a real foodies destinationActive Holiday - For those who want to keep active there's plenty to do locally including horse riding, hiking, and cyclingRomantic Break - With fine dining, a secluded location, and elegant rooms with private terraces - this is a romantic choiceCountry Escape - Enjoy a quintessentially Provençal experience in this converted rural house
A charming traditional property set in picturesque Provence countryside. Classically French rooms feature exposed beams, chintz fabrics and antique furniture. Dine on regional dishes in the fire lit restaurant. Numerous activities in the surrounding area will keep all entertained. Rural bliss. See More
La Bastide de Moustiers Moustiers Sainte Marie 13 rooms from £286Foodies - Alain Ducasse’s Michelin starred gastronomic restaurant is foodie heaven, with all vegetables from the hotel's kitchen gardenCountry Escape - A Provence country escape, surrounded by lush gardens and in a pretty village at the base of some dramatic limestone cliffsGreat walks - Wander through the picturesque Verdon National Park particularly enjoyable when accompanied by a hotel picnicHotel Entertainment - Spend a leisurely day catching up on your reading in the green house hammocks or by the poolRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Sawdays
A 17th-century bastide with magnificent cuisine under Alain Ducasse. Understated, elegant interiors kept simple and white with rustic natural touches. Lavender filled gardens surround a large swimming pool. Shady terraces ideal for sipping on a chilled glass of wine. Rural France at its finest. See More
Villa Baulieu Aix-en-Provence 11 rooms from £278Elegant - Elegant design includes a variety of styles, from Italian and English to Napoleon III and Louis XIV and XVIWine tasting - Taste the estate's wines with the resident oenologist — it specialises in premium organic whites and redsRomantic Break - With wine tasting, a hot tub set atop one of the towers, and grand interiors — this is a romantic baseCountry Escape - Expect classic rural french entertainment including cycling, tennis, and boules
Originally a property of Henry III in 1576, and the wealthiest Provencal families - now an opulent guesthouse. The rooms are plushly fitted out, without being excessive: traditional wallpapers and soft colours. 220 hectares of estate to explore, and its wine to sample - experience true Provence. See More
Le Mas de Peint Arles, Provence 13 rooms from £230Active Holiday - There are a wide choice of outdoor pursuits locally including horse riding, cycling, climbing, and hikingFoodies - Dinner is served right in the middle of the kitchen, and produce is all locally and sustainably sourcedCycling - Rent a bike and cycle across the beaches from Saintes-Maries-de-La-Mer to Port-Saint-Louis-du RhôneTotal relaxation - Kick back by the pool, wander the grounds or pamper yourself with an oil massageRecommended by - I Escape, Tablet