- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Save time, save money
Where to Stay when you Visit Machu Picchu
The beautiful ruins of Machu Picchu have become a recognisable symbol of Peru, and possibly even South America. At the bottom of a dramatic ridge of rock, these wonderfully preserved Incan buildings are the reason many people travel in this direction. For some people to see the city - which was lost for hundreds of years - is enough, but for some of us the journey to the city, through the mountainous jungles is part of the experience. But however you want to arrive here the question of where to stay when you visit Machu Picchu can be a tricky one.
These days Aguas Calientes - or Machu Picchu Town - is busy all the time. In the high season, between May and September about 2,500 people arrive every day. And people are booking up years in advance. It can also be surprisingly expensive, and not all of the accommodation options offer good value. But our Gurus have put together what they consider to be a selection of great properties to answer the question of where to stay when you visit Machu Picchu.
Where to Stay when you Visit Macchu Picchu
To be Closest to the City
- The Belmond Sanctuary Lodge is in an unbeatable position, right by the entrance to Machu Picchu. There are 32 charming rooms decorated with contemporary art work against white-washed walls. The views from the terrace are bound to be spectacular and the cuisine is fantastic too.
- The Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel is in a beautiful, riverside spot about half an hour away from Machu’s Picchu’s entrance, in Aguas Calientes. The 80+ rooms are atmospheric, with working fireplaces and exposed beams, and there’s a great restaurant and cosy lounge.
For a Feeling of Remoteness
- The Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel is in a beautiful spot at the foot of the mountain below Machu Picchu, close to the Vilcanota River. There are 56 rooms and the decor is richly coloured but contemporary in style. The views are amazing
- El Albergue is about 19miles from machu Picchu, in a peaceful spot on the outskirts of Ollantaytambo. There are just 15 rooms, decorated in a chic, rustic style, plus beautiful gardens and beautiful views. If you’re fresh off the trail you’ll appreciate the sauna and possibility of booking a massage.
For Great Value
The hotels and guesthouses in Aguas Calientes are more expensive than a lot of people expect them to be. For many people this is a once in a lifetime experience, but we all have a cap on how much we can spend.
- El MaPi is a good compromise and offers great value, considering how close you are to the sanctuary. Stylish and contemporary, the hotel has 140 rooms with large windows, a great restaurant and the option to treat yourself to a massage, or a soak in the hot tub if you’ve been on the trail for a while.
If you haven’t found where to stay when you visit Machu Picchu on our Guru’s list you could:
- Consult our list of all the best places to stay around Machu Picchu,
- expand your search to include the best places to stay in the Scared Valley,
- or the best places stay in Cusco,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Where to Stay when you Visit Macchu Picchu
Belmond Sanctuary Lodge 32 rooms from £921Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu)
A chic boutique property with an unbeatable location right at the entrance to Machu Picchu. Charming rooms are simply styled with contemporary artwork contrasting against the white washed background and pretty terraces boast spectacular views. The cuisine is fantastic too. A winning combination.Active Holiday - The only hotel at the entrance of Machu Picchu.Local markets - Search for artefacts at the lively central market in Cusco.Sights nearby - Take a guided tour of the Inca citadel.Remote - Off the beaten track.
Inkaterra Machu Picchu Pueblo Hotel 83 rooms from £643Aguas Calientes
A charming lodge located just half an hour to Machu Picchu. Atmospheric rooms are complete with working fireplaces, exposed beams, tartan fabrics and warm lighting. A cosy lounge is the ideal spot to unwind with an evening tipple. Gorge on regional dishes and sip Peruvian wines. Superb.Active Holiday - One of the best hotel's in the town closest to Machu Picchu complete with excellent guides.Sights nearby - The knowledgeable guides give the best experience of Machu Picchu Historical Sanctuary.Birdwatching - Up to 214 bird species including the golden-headed quetzal.Outstanding location - Beautiful riverside setting.
Sumaq Machu Picchu Hotel 59 rooms from £359Aguas Calientes (Machu Picchu,)
A beautiful setting at the foot of the sanctuary of Machu Picchu, close to the Vilcanota River. Rich Peruvian colours create a welcoming interior echoed in the rooms giving a sumptuous feeling of luxury. Delicate Andean & Asian flavours influence the cuisine to great effect. A memorable stay.Sights nearby - Inca ruins, The sun temple and The temple of the three windows.Views - Fabulous views not only of the Andean mountains but also of ancient ruins.Great walks - Amazing views, make sure you are acclimatized.Cooking classes - Culinary demonstrations & mini-chef classes.
El Albergue 15 rooms from £153Ollantaytambo (Av Ferrocarril 1)
This inn is situated in Ollantaytambo which is 19 miles away from Machu Picchu. It features rooms decorated in a chic, rustic style and has wonderful views of the surrounding area. Relax in the sauna after a long day hiking or book yourself a massage to fully unwind. A peaceful and unique spot.Sights nearby - Given the location you've absolutely got to go visit the stunning archeological site Machu PicchuBack to Nature - The hotel is situated amidst the mountains with great views and has a beautiful gardenGreat walks - Roam around the mountains and take in the wonderful viewsRemote - Off the beaten track.
El MaPi 130 rooms from £169Aguas Calientes (Pachacutec 109)
This stylish contemporary hotel is situated in the heart of Machu Picchu town. It boasts smart rooms with large windows and black out curtains whilst the food on offer is simply excellent. Treat yourself to a massage after an afternoon outside hiking for the perfect end to the day! A top-notch spot.Sights nearby - Don't miss out on the chance to see the archeological site generally considered one of the 7 New Wonders of the WorldGreat walks - Head out on excursions led by the hotel or explore on your own as you romp around the mountainsSpa