The Hotel Guru is my “go to” site for hotel recommendations Rebecca Terrazas.
Best family hotels in the Algarve
With its guaranteed sunshine (summer temperatures averaging 25-30°C), golden beaches and year-round direct flights (Faro airport is around 2½-3 hours’ flight-time from the UK), the Algarve is, not surprisingly, one of the top choices for a family holiday. Our pick of the best family hotels in the Algarve is wide ranging from a luxury resort to chic, laid back B&Bs.
The Portuguese are very family-orientated so children - and their parents - are welcomed in hotels and restaurants. You’ll often find Portuguese families out and about until late evening as they stroll the streets or linger over post-dinner drinks.
Similarly, hotels - especially the larger resorts - are geared up to looking after children, with kids’ clubs and activities, children-friendly pools and babysitting services. Near the larger resort towns, such as Albufeira, Lagos and Carvoeiro, you’ll also find a host of family attractions such as zoos, theme parks and watery-themed adventure playgrounds where thrills and spills are high on the agenda.
Some hotels offer the choice of self-catering villas to allow families even greater flexibility. But, whether you choose to go all-inclusive, half-board or room-only, do remember the region is hugely popular especially in the school holidays. To bag one of the best family hotels in the Algarve, it is best to book well ahead.
Best family hotels in the Algarve
With self catering options
- The colourful and contemporary apartments of Casa Vicentina, near Odeceixe on the west coast, will suit active families. There’s a pool, playground and nature reserve plus it’s close to the beaches.
- Casa Beleza do Sul’s self-catering apartments, in Tavira, combine traditional and contemporary style - designed by the architect owner - to make a lovely cool retreat after a day on the beach or exploring the town. Plus there’s a shady roof terrace with stunning views over the many church domes of the town.
- Close to Tavira, but feeling a world away, Quinta da Colina is a traditional manor house with high-beamed ceilings, set amongst citrus and carob trees. As well as B&B rooms, there’s a self-catering cottage, ideal for families, plus there’s a rustic-chic pool made from a former irrigation tank.
For those on a budget
- With large, rustic-style suites, Muxima offers simple and colourful rooms, close to the west-coast beaches; ideal for families looking for a well-priced beach holiday. Each room has a small terrace plus there’s an eco-pool in which to cool off.
- The beach, the outdoor pool, the kids club and junior dive courses are amongst a host of other activities that make Memmo Baleeira, on the south-western tip, a great family choice. Plus it has a chic white-on-white style and spa that will keep the grown-ups happy.
- Tucked away in the lesser-visited, eastern Algarve, Companhia das Culturas, a working farm, offers just eight cool and whitewashed rooms with a charming rustic style. Four rooms are large apartments, converted from an old mill and sheepfold, are ideal for families. There’s also a hammam, saltwater pool and yoga classes.
Best mid-range Algarve family hotels
- Close to Sagres, in the south-west, and right on the beach, Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel offers a range of activities including snorkelling, windsurfing, riding and kayaking. Crisp and contemporary in style, choose between standard rooms, condos and beachfront villas.
For a luxury resort
- No-one will be bored at Vila Vita Parc, a cliff-top resort near Porches that offers a children’s club, playground and pool, while parents can choose between deep-sea fishing, tennis, golf and a spa. Contemporary luxury rooms and a choice of eight dining options.
Casa Vicentina Odeceixe, Algarve 12 rooms from £65
A charming collection of suites that sleep up to 4. Stylish, bright interiors, pool, playground for children, and not far from the beach and nature reserve. Be at one with nature in an ideal spot for a family holiday, and great value.Families - Lots of space for children to play, ride or swim and suites that sleep 4, family freedom.Groups - 12 suites, make this a great venue to book up with other families or friends.Kids Club - Playground.Birdwatching - Good birding near the hotel.Recommended by - Sawdays
Casa Beleza do Sul Tavira 4 rooms from £74
Beautifully restored 19th-century house in the unspoilt, delightful town of Tavira in the Algarve. Stylish suites and self-catering apartments have been designed by the architect owner. Original mosaic floors and features have been left intact. Shady roof terraces with panoramic views. A gem.Self catering - Self-catering studio and apartments have well-equipped kitchenettes, terraces with tables and sun loungersTown - Tavira is a charming and unspoilt old town, pretty squares and gardens, fishermen at work on their netsGolf - The Algarve is famous for its golf courses and some of the best are close to TaviraBeach nearby - Beautiful sandy beach close byRecommended by - Sawdays
Quinta da Colina Conceição, Algarve 3 rooms from £74
Traditional Algarvian manor which has been tastefully converted to provide B&B accommodation plus cottages and an apartment for self catering. Set amid 6 hectares filled with olive, orange and carob trees. A quieter, truly relaxing spot from which to enjoy the pleasures of the real Algarve.Swimming Pool - Created from the old irrigation tank with original well and water wheel feature on the terrace. 5m x 5mFull of character - Retaining original features giving a true taste of Algarvian style.Sights nearby - Only 6 minutes by car from TaviraSailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Sawdays
Muxima Aljezur, Algarve 7 rooms from £69
Delightfully rustic eco retreat within striking distance of the best surfing beaches. Large suites with around the world themes, think India to Tunisia. Lovely terraces, eco pool, and nature reserve nearby. Great value for a family holiday and beach life.Families - Family suites and total informality, stimulating books, toys, outdoor games & activities for all.Eco break - Using natural processes and recycled materials.Sights nearby - On the way to the beaches of Carriagem don't forget to visit the Arregata windmill.Surfing - Monte Clerigo Surf & body board lessons are available.Recommended by - I Escape
Memmo Baleeira Sagres 144 rooms from £118
This chic beachfront hotel overlooks the dramatic Atlantic coast. Bright rooms are dressed in earthy tones with natural accents; the best have a balcony with sea views. The hotel boasts a newly renovated pool, spa and restaurant, plus a fun children's play area. A fresh look for this seaside hotel.Active Holiday - There are endless options for an active holiday at this hotel; explore the coast on foot, two wheels or even by boatFamilies - This is family holiday heaven- with kids club, kiddie menu, junior dive courses, plenty of beaches and activties.Great walks - Take a picnic and head out along this rugged and stunning coastline and discover some of the least spoilt beaches in Europe.Surfing - Memmo's surf centre offer's lessons, equipment and storage facilities; make the most of some of Portugals best surfing.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Companhia das culturas Altura (rua do monte grande) 8 rooms from £78
Charming and rustic hotel on 40 hectare working farm. Rooms have whitewashed walls, antique furnishings and French doors leading out into garden. With a hammam Turkish bath, outdoor saltwater pool, yoga, Tai-chi and Qi-gong classes. Close to beaches, local markets and great walks. Value chic.Great walks - Around Castro Marim and Cacela VelhaFull of character - Simple and rural rustic charmFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Sawdays
Martinhal Beach Resort & Hotel Sagres (Vila do Bispo) 38 rooms from £130
The varying luxury accommodation at Martinhal, from rooms to beachfront condos to private villas, makes this resort ideal for energetic family holidays. The plethora of water sports and activities available is thrilling.Resort - Your own stylish villa with activites, entertainment and delicious menus. How to make your stay stress free.Private villas - The resort is made up of varying private villas and beachfront condos.Families - The Village accommodation is ideal for familiesOn the beach - Villas and condos directly on the beach frontRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet
Vila Vita Parc Porches, Algarve 170 rooms from £174
Exclusive cliff-top family resort with Moorish-style accommodation in lush gardens. Contemporary, light rooms with white on white decor drawing the eye to the spectacular sea views. Fantastic children's facilities, tennis courts, golf course, luxurious spa, and excellent food. A beach paradise.Families - Loads of kiddie stuff so parents can unwind- playground with trampoline, swings and slides, kids club, creche and pool.Foodies - Eight onsite restaurants to choose from- we recommend the tasting menu from two Michelin Star Ocean with wine pairing.Diving - Vila Vita Parc run dive certification courses as well as courses in underwater photography& deep sea diving.Fishing - The concierge will organise for guests to head out on the ocean and try their hand at deep sea fishing.Recommended by - Kiwi Collection