Rome Hotels Fit For Cardinals - 10 Best Hotels near the Vatican
You can easily catch a glimpse of life within the smallest state in the world from the best hotels near the Vatican. Every so often we are treated to the view of the black smoke / white smoke drama, in which case all the cardinals who are eligible to vote stay in some rather spartan, cramped conditions in a hostelry in the Vatican City.
However, at other times, cardinals have regular business to conduct in the Eternal City, and at such times they are apt to opt for more comfortable surroundings.
So here, dear cardinals, monsignore and humble priests, is a selection of places you will appreciate, next time you come to town our hand picked selection of the best hotels near the Vatican.
The 10 Best Hotels near the Vatican
The Best Value Hotels near the Vatican
For those who are working to a budget, you won't be disappointed by any of the best hotels near the Vatican, there's plenty of choice.
- The Due Torri, full of traditional Italian charm, tucked away in a narrow cobbled side street just a few steps away from the Vatican.
- Couples who want to experience the Italian flavour and buzz of the city opt for the trendy 1920's Locarno, which is where artists like to hang out and has the air of a film set about it.
- For just a little more, the 1930's style Villa Laetitia, with it's luscious gardens along the banks of the river Tiber is perfect. A tranquil spot within easy access of the sights.
Rome from the rooftops
The evening is certainly the most romantic time of the day with that glorious peachy light. Where better to set the scene than from the rooftops of some of the best hotels near the Vatican. Slip up to the bar for a cool and refreshing aperitif before dinner.
- The Eden, a stone's throw from St Peter's, is in the 5 star luxury range, with a delightful roof top restaurant and the most spectacular views. The interior is tastefully done in subdued colours and lavish marble, complete with fitness suite and private massage; you'll want for nothing.
- The Hotel Campo de 'Fiori has a fantastic roof terrace overlooking the city skyline. You'll find romantic bedrooms with four poster beds and frescoed ceilings, all within 12 minutes cab ride from the Vatican.
- Families will be well catered for in the elegant Albergo del Senato with a wonderful roof terrace bar, a traditional and relaxing atmosphere.
The Best Luxury Hotels near the Vatican
The Italians do luxury so well. The gorgeous design, whether it nods it's head to the Baroque era or the 21st century, spills into every corner. The private gardens and terraces provide escape form the heat of the day in the best hotels near the Vatican. You'll find it impossible to tear yourself away.
- The Hotel de Russie, a top contemporary hotel with light airy rooms, gorgeous terraced gardens and a fabulous Spa and pool. Only 10 minutes walk from St Peter's.
- In a quiet cobbled street in the heart of Rome, within walking distance of the main attractions, sits the 17th century Relais Orso with cool decor, a pretty roof terrace and Restaurant.
- The San Anselmo, located in the smart hilltop Aventine district is 20 minutes away from the Vatican. A romantic and chic hotel with Baroque glamour and loads of personaity, with a gorgeous garden where you can relax and sip a cocktail whilst watching the sunset.
- Last, but by no means least are the wonderfully oppulent apartment suites, La Residenza Napoleone, each with kitchenette and private terrace. With taffetta silk, Baroque furniture and antique lighting. It feels as if you are stepping into history but with all the modern comforts.
Haven't found your perfect hotel for a Roman Holiday in our Guru's list of the 10 best hotels near the Vatican?
- Expand your search to include all the best places to stay in Rome,
- or consider our recommendations for the best hotels in the heart of Old Rome?
- You might want to look at our Guru's list of great hotels near the Colosseum, or great hotels near the Spanish Steps?
- Or maybe the 10 best luxury hotels in Rome?
- Or you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The 10 Best Hotels near the Vatican
Due Torri Rome 26 rooms from £104Local exploring - Location is perfect for those wishing to emerce themsevles in Rome and explore like a local.Historic - Previously the building housed Cardinals, Bishops, and famous noble Roman famillies.Families - Four small apartments are ideal for accommodating families.Great walks - Right in the historic heart of Rome, wander the streets and get a feel for the Eternal City.
Locarno, Rome Rome 83 rooms from £200Romantic Break - Chic decor, central location and romantic rooftop bar make this an ideal getaway for two!Local exploring - Use the free hotel bikes to explore the historic city centre like a local.Great walks - Just five minutes away you'll find Villa Borghese, the third largest public park in Rome.Sights nearby - Check out the iconic Piazza del Popolo, located just a few minutes from the hotel.
Villa Laetitia Rome 15 rooms from £126Local exploring - Well placed just a 15 minute stroll from Piazza del PopoloCity Style - A very chic stay designed by one of the Fendi sistersSights nearby - 15 mins walk to the Piazza del Popolo and easy access to the VaticanDesigner - Uniquely designed interiors.
Fashionable boutique hotel designed by the Fendi family. Set in luscious gardens alongside the river Tiber. Attention to detail throughout the rooms and living areas is spectacular - marble pillars, antique fabrics, black and white chequered flooring, 1930s art deco furniture. Tranquil and trendy. See More
Hotel Campo de 'Fiori Rome 23 rooms from £135City Style - For an elegant and traditianally Italian stay, it doesn't get much better than thisGroups - With 11 apartments to rent sleeping from 2 - 5, this is ideal for small groupsRomantic Break - This is a classic and undeniably romantic stay brimming with Old World charmLocal markets - Enjoy the morning market at the Piazza Campo de Fiori
Albergo del senato Rome 56 rooms from £152Romantic Break - Elegant rooms with pretty private terraces are the perfect place to unwind with your significant otherLocal exploring - Perfectly placed just a stroll from Piazza Navona and the stunning Trevi FountainSights nearby - A stones throw from the PantheonLocal markets - The Campo de Fiori is close by
Eden Rome 121 rooms from £321Romantic Break - The opulent and enourmous suites are ideal for a couples hideaway, not to mention the romantic rooftop resturant.Local exploring - Perfectly located for exploing the sights of Rome, close enough to travel by foot or bicycle.Great walks - Visit nearby Borghese Gardens for lovely walking gardens, museums and historic buildings.Sights nearby - Close to the Spanish Steps, one of Rome's most famous sights.Recommended by - Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
A five-star luxury hotel in one of Rome's most exclusive areas. Traditionally furnished rooms exude opulence and old world style with bold fabrics, antique furnishings and spectacular views of the city. Unwind in the Piano bar or soak up the skyline in the fine dining rooftop restaurant. Spoiling. See More
Hotel de Russie Rome 122 rooms from £350Local exploring - With it's central location and range of guided walking and biking tours, this is the perfect launching spot to explore the cityGarden - Stunning terraced gardens where you can dine during the summer monthsRestaurant - Recommended.Spa - Featuring hydropool and Turkish steam bathRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Fodors, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
Relais Orso Rome 15 rooms from 249Restaurant - The restaurant Vicolo 88 offers traditional Medietrranean dishes and wine from the cellars of the houseSuites - Central glass walled showers built into the living rooms, suites with private hot tub and terraceRoof terrace - Sip cocktails on the roof deck with fabulous panoramic views of the citySights nearby - A stone's throw from Piazza Navona in the heart of Rome's historical centreRecommended by - Tablet
Just steps away from Piazza Navona and the Pantheon this sleek hotel, a 17th century town house in quiet cobbled street, is beautifully placed in the heart of Rome within walking distance of all the main sights. Cool contemporary suites, restaurant and pretty roof garden with city views. See More
San Anselmo Rome 34 rooms from £312Hideaway - An off the beaten track location ina residential neighborhood on the Aventine Hill, perfect for a quiet city breakGreat walks - Take a stroll in The Circus Maximus, an ancient Roman chariot racing stadium and mass entertainment venue.Sights nearby - The property overlooks Sant’Anselmo ChurchLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - I Escape, Tablet
La Residenza Napoleone Rome 2 rooms from £633OpulentRomantic BreakRomantic - Good for couples.LuxuryRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, I Escape
Incredibly opulent apartment suites drenched in old world Italian romance. Huge oil paintings, taffeta silks, lavish beds, Baroque furniture, antique lighting and romantic pastels covering the walls. Each suite has a kitchenette, private terrace, in-house cook and access to a concierge service. See More