The Best Costa Brava Beach Hotels
Sun, sea and sand are guaranteed on the Costa Brava, Spain’s first - and still the leading - holiday coast. Stretching from Blanes, an hour’s drive north of Barcelona, to the French border, this was one of Europe’s first package-tour hotspots. And for good reason: warm seas, miles of soft sand, glorious sunshine. So, a Costa Brava beach hotel is still one of the best choices for a seaside break.
But it’s not all high-rise hotels and jam-packed beaches - although you will find plenty of cheerful fun around Lloret de Mar, if that’s what you want. There are wooded coves and pretty beaches around Palamós (where chic Barcelonians hang out) and more rugged coastlines to the north, around the Bay of Roses, for the more adventurous. This was also home to the maverick surrealist, Salvador Dalí. We’ve been up and down the coast and rounded up some of the best beach hotels on the Costa Brava.
Best Costa Brava beach hotels for value
- With 20 simple, white-on-white rooms, Hotel Casamar, overlooking Llafranc Bay, is terrific value for a holiday where you want to hop from room to beach and back again, with minimum effort. All rooms have balconies, plus there’s a breezy restaurant and local watersports.
- Nearby Hotel Terramar, with the same matchless location, is slightly larger with unfussy, contemporary rooms. Opt for a sea-view with balcony. Family-run, its excellent-value fish restaurant has a lovely dining terrace.
Best moderately priced Costa Brava beach hotels
- Overlooking the Bay of Cadaqués, on the northern stretch of the Costa Brava, Hotel Playa Sol has large and airy rooms with splashes of bright colours. Most have balconies, plus there are four-person apartments; great for families.
- Perched above a small, sandy beach, family-run Hotel Tamariu has bright, nautically themed rooms. Relaxed and low-key, it has a restaurant offering Catalan specialities and ready access to plenty of watersports.
- In the north, on an unspoilt curve of beach near L’Escala, family-friendly Hostal Empuries offers cool, modern rooms and terrific eco credentials. It also has a sleek spa and a choice of two restaurants.
Best luxury Costa Brava beach hotels
- Stay at Hotel Aigua Blava, overlooking the bays of Fornells and Aiguablava, and there’s no need to go anywhere. Everything is on site, from watersports and tennis to a kids’ club and outdoor pool. Rooms are large and contemporary-Catalan in style.
- Sprawling above the beach at the Bay of Roses, Hotel Vistabella has just 29 luxurious rooms and suites - think sleek greys and creams, marble or polished-wood floors, large balconies. With watersports, four restaurants, a spa, and close proximity to eight golf courses and Dali Museums, it’s perfect for both romantics and the more active.
There are hundreds of Costa Brava beach hotels but we’ve sifted through them all to come up with the best to suit every pocket. Now all you need do is find your sun cream and your shades. Or if you can't find what you're looking for check out all our Costa Brava recommendations.
Hotel Casamar Llafranc, Costa Brava 20 rooms from £39Views - Stunning views over the bay.Value chicSailing - Can be booked nearby.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Hotel Terramar Llafranc, Costa Brava 53 rooms from £61Views - Stunning sea views.FamiliesBeach LifeTotal relaxation
Hotel Playa Sol Cadaques 49 rooms from £95Views - Views both over the Med and the villageFamiliesBeach LifeSwimming Pool - 17m Outdoor Pool heated until 15th Oct
Hotel Tamariu Tamariu, Costa Brava 17 rooms from £95On the beach - In front of the hotel.Beach LifeValue chicFamilies
Hostal Empuries l'Escala, Costa Brava 53 rooms from £96Spa breaks - Empuries Spa is a fabulous relaxation area with pool, steam bath, sauna, Thermal Suites, and wide range of pampering treatmentsFamilies - Family rooms.Beach LifeEco breakRecommended by - I Escape
Vintage Cap sa Sal Begur, NOT TO SHOW 10 rooms from £113Beach LifeLively - Hip and happening.Views - Wonderful sea viewsSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Fodors
Hotel Aigua Blava Begur (Fornells) 85 rooms from £131Views - Views over the bays of Fornells and AiguablavaGroupsFamiliesBeach Life
Excellently equipped seaside hotel right on the beach. Rooms, suites and apartments all in neutral tones with private balconies cater to families, groups and couples. Excellent restaurant, salt water pool, tennis courts, and watersports. A great choice for a beach holiday with everything on site. See More
Hotel Vistabella Province of Girona, Costa Brava 29 rooms from £139Local exploring - Explore the wider Costa Brava from its hidden beaches to the Dali Museum to ancient ruinsSights nearby - Serra de les Alberes is a stunning area to explore Romanesque churches.Sailing - Rent a boat and explore the seas sailing or relax on a Catamaran tour.Local markets - Local markets give a great sense of local life in the Costa Brava.
Magical luxury hotel overlooking the Bay of Roses - with crystal sea views it's a perfect romantic hideaway. Stylish rooms with a nautical vibe echo the Mediterranean, and most have terraces overlooking the sea. Four restaurants, panoramic bar, indoor pool & spa. Spoiling luxury by the sea! See More