- ✓ Book Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
Best rural hotels on the Costa Brava
Spain’s Costa Brava is not all sea and sand. Inland, there’s a rugged countryside of woods and hilltop settlements, quiet villages and fortified towns. So, if you fancy the heat and the Catalan flavour, but not the giddiness of the coast, take a look at our selection of the best rural hotels on the Costa Brava.
To the north there’s the rugged Alt Empordà and the marshland nature reserve of the Parc Natural dels Aiguamolls de l’Empordà.
Many Barcelona folk retreat to second homes in the hills around Calella, Palafrugell and hill-top Begur. And then there’s the charm of medieval Girona with its gothic cathedral.
Here you will find country villas surrounded by vineyards, Catalan farmhouses, ancient convents and former mills, five-star country-house hotels and luxury romantic retreats.
Rural hotels on the Costa Brava for romance
- Les Hamaques actually cheats a little; it’s both in a rural setting and close to the beach of the lovely Santa Marti d’Empuriés (the Greco-Roman ruins of Empuriés are nearby, too). It’s small - just five rooms - and very private, surrounded by pretty gardens. The white-on-white rooms are chic yet simple with a mix of vintage and contemporary furnishings, private terraces and hammocks. Evening meals are by request.
- Another intimate hotel - again just five rooms - is Can Casi, an 18th-century villa in the much sought-after area of Baix Empordà. Eclectically furnished rooms, where bright pops of colour mix with vintage chandeliers, exposed stone walls with perhaps a Vespa scooter, have large private balconies and bathtubs for two. It’s adults-only, too!
- And yet another five-room hotel (no children under 12) is L’Hort de Sant Cebria, a lovely Catalan country house with vine-covered stone walls, elegantly furnished rooms and a pretty scented garden with fountains and quiet corners. Excellent value, too. Evening meals are by arrangement.
Rural hotels - farmhouses
- Hotel del Teatre is actually two Catalan farmhouses on the outskirts of medieval Begur, skilfully converted to create a very chic hotel. Rooms are light and contemporary mixing original features of stone walls and rafters with huge windows and calming, white-on-white furnishings. There’s a shady pool, quiet gardens and a high-class restaurant.
- For a real rural retreat, Mas Falgarona is a 17th-century farmhouse with not another building in sight. Rooms are large, light and simple retaining the original thick stone walls and raftered ceilings. There’s a small pool, a shady garden and an organic kitchen garden providing much of the produce for the restaurant. A real ‘switch-off and recharge’ sort of place.
Rural hotels near vineyards
- At Boutique Hotel Can Pico, you can roll out of bed into the vineyards; this converted farmhouse has its own vines as well as olive groves. Rooms are surprisingly crisp and modern with bold modern art. There’s a pool in the garden for daytime laziness and a well-stocked cellar for evening wine-tasting.
Rural hotels on the Costa Brava in historic buildings
- With views of either olive groves or the lovely Bay of Roses, Hotel Mas Lazuli is an 11th-century convent turned into a swish country-house hotel. Rooms are super-stylish with polished wood floors, white-painted rafters and chic furnishings. There’s a very cool terrace restaurant plus large pool set in the tropical gardens.
- Very much off-the-beaten-track, Hotel Moli del Mig is a former 15th-century mill that has been turned into a designer spa hotel. Everything is sleek, light and airy, with pale polished floors and huge windows making the most of the gardens and surrounding countryside. There’s plenty to do for the active - kayaking, riding, cycling - or just chill out in the spa or around the elegant pool.
Luxury rual hotels on the Costa Brava
- For sheer wanton luxury, with five-star service standards, you can’t go wrong with Mas de Torrent. Rooms are either elegantly contemporary with airy colours and sleek furnishings or comfortingly classical with handsome antiques. All have private balconies, some have their own pools. There’s a rooftop bar, outdoor dining overlooking the gardens and pool, a spa and plenty of activities.
- For a more homely - but equally luxurious - country-house feel, take a look at La Malcontenta. Although close to the beach, it’s very private and secluded. Rooms cleverly mix original features of stone walls and vaulted ceilings with contemporary yet very Spanish furnishings. There’s a gorgeous shady pool and a stunningly pretty dining room. Borrow a bike, and order a picnic - much produce is home-grown - to find quiet hedgerow paths and beaches.
The Costa Brava can be surprisingly peaceful; you just have to know where to look. Use our guide to the best rural hotels on the Costa Brava to help you find that perfect quiet spot. Alternatively widen the net and check out all our Costa Brava recommendations.
Les Hamaques 5 rooms from $131L'escala, Costa Brava
A chic little country house hotel with just a few rooms. Close to the beach in a lovely rural setting. Light filled rooms in neutral tones with private terraces onto the garden and pool. Intimate, romantic, lots to do on the beach and around.Sights nearby - Greco-Roman ruins of the Empúries Roman route.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorLocal markets - Good for local colour.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - I Escape
Can Casi 5 rooms from $194Province of Girona, Costa Brava
Explore this 1704 boutique in Regencós, the heart of the Golden Triangle of Baix Empordà. Adult-only retreat in rural surroundings is home away from home with kitchen gardens, lounging areas in the garden and a pool to spend your days. Contemporary meets classic decor in the rooms. A fantastic find!Cooking classes - Eco-cook workshop avaliable at Can Casi - using produce from their very own garden.Local markets - Head to the local markets to get into full swing of Catalan life.Kayaking - River or sea - rent a kayak and soak up the scenery.Swimming Pool - Outdoor salt water pool
L'Hort de Sant Cebrià 5 rooms from $114Torroella de Fluvià, Catalonia
This beautiful Catalan country house is the epitome of romance. Sand-stone walls covered in sprawling vines, balconies overlooking gardens of herbs and roses, fountains, and a shaded terrace. A Provencal-esque hideaway for honeymooners perhaps.Restrictions on children - Only children aged 12 and over are allowed.Sights nearby - Graeco-Roman ruins nearby, Dali triangle.Spa - In-room treatments.Local markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
Hotel del Teatre 7 rooms from $160Begur
Two medieval Catalan farmhouses renovated with romance in mind. Gaze over the Mediterranean landscape, swim in the nearby beaches of the Costa Brava, or simply hibernate in the luxury of the hotel - in the gourmet Theatre restaurant, in the sleek interiors, or at the swimming pool.Outstanding location - Located in the 'Golden Triangle' - Mediterranean landscapes and scenery and sandy beaches of the Costa Brava.Restaurant - The Theatre Restaurant is a main attraction.Exclusive use - Available for exclusive use.FarmhouseRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Mas Falgarona 13 rooms from $223Costa Brava
17th Century farmhouse turned boutique hotel in a serene, intimate setting. Thick stone walls and exposed beams maintain its old Catalan beauty, and are stylishly complemented with modern decor. The kitchen garden provides fresh produce for the restaurant. Ideal for poolside relaxation or exploring.Local exploring - Ideally situated for exploring the best of the Costa Brava from its culture to the gorgeous beaches.Sights nearby - Absorb some Grecian culture at Sant Pere de Rodes monastery or the old Greek city of Ampurias.Swimming Pool - Outdoor poolRomantic - Good for couples.
Boutique Hotel Can Pico 9 rooms from $131Pelacalç, Costa Brava
A traditional farmhouse with fresh contemporary interiors. A charming hotel with its own vineyards and wine tasting, verdant gardens, swimming pool, and very close to the beach. Rooms and suites are light and airy with white washed walls and splashes of modern art.Views - Great views from hotelSights nearby - Archaeological site of Empúries, Sant Pere de Rodes, medieval villages of Pals and Peratallada, old town of Girona.Great walks - In nearby vineyards or olive groves.Restrictions on children - The property is adults only
Hotel Mas Lazuli 16 rooms from $217Cadaques (Pau)
Originally an 11th century convent, now a country house hotel with elegant outdoor pool and tropical garden. Bedrooms are cool and contemporary with open plan bathroom and private sitting room. All enjoy glorious views of either olive groves or the Bay of Rosas. A romantic spot close to the coast.Kayaking - Available nearby - can be organised through hotelGreat walks - Serra de Rodes forest areaSights nearby - Dalí Museum in FigueresSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoorRecommended by - Tablet, I Escape
Hotel Moli del Mig 32 rooms from $229Girona, Costa Brava
15th Century mill turned idyllic spa hotel set in manicured gardens with pool, a stone's throw from the Med. Avant-garde architectural design effortlessly combines the modern with the traditional and huge windows in the contemporary rooms allow wonderful vistas. Ideal for both beach & inland.Local exploring - Ideally located for exploring the Costa Brava, with its many beautiful beaches and cultural attractionsHideaway - Set in beautiful rural location, the property is ideal for those who like to be off the beaten track.Local markets - Head to down to Torroella de Montgri on a Monday morning and you will see the market in full swing.Sights nearby - Torroella de Montgrí is a cultural centre and if you love ceramics visit La Bisbal d' Emporda.
Mas de Torrent 39 rooms from $319Torrent, Costa Brava
Five Star luxury in a country house hotel that attracts A listers. A mixture of contemporary and classical rooms and suites, all with private balconies, some with private pools. Excellent restaurant, roof top terrace bar, spa, and lovely grounds. A sophisticated choice.Spa breaksFoodies5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Kids Club - Nursery and childrens entertainment programmes during the summer seasonRecommended by - Relais & Chateaux
La Malcontenta 14 rooms from $240Palamos, Costa Brava
Idyllic 5* country house hotel walking distance from the beach. Elegant rooms have four poster beds, enormous marble bathrooms and views over the garden. Outdoor pool, terrace, massages available. Excellent, locally sourced cuisine. Romantic, chic and pretty.Romantic Break - Four poster beds in rooms looking out across unspoilt countryside; couples massages and lovely poolGreat walks - Along Castell Beach, the only virgin beach of the Costa BravaLocal markets - Medieval market in CalongeSights nearby - Old part of Girona nearby