- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ FREE cancellation on most rooms
The UK’s Best Country House Hotels
Once only those of us with the oldest family names would have been eligible to stay in the UK’s grand country piles, but many of the most beautiful of them have been refurbished and returned to their youthful glory, and turned into country house hotels. Our Gurus have put themselves through the ordeal of sleeping in four-poster beds, dining in Michelin starred restaurants, being pampered in award-winning spas and strolling exquisite grounds to bring your their recommendations for the UK’s best country house hotels.
Rather than list the UK’s best country house hotels by location our Gurus have listed them by type, so there’s a top selection of the most romantic country house hotels, and a top selection of family friendly hotels and their top recommendations for family-run treasures.
The UK’s Best Country House Hotels
The UK’s Most Romantic Country House Hotels
- The Hotel Endsleigh is an historic shooting lodge in the Tamar Valley in Devon, now styled by Olga Polizzi into an intimate, 18 room hotel. There are 18 beautiful rooms, two fairytale suites and a villa, many of them overlooking a private stretch of river. The Italian meets Spanish style food is very good and they arrange private picnics in the grounds - and babysitting if you need it.
- Cliveden House is a grand neoclassical country pile, a National Trust treasure, and probably still best known for its part in the Profumo affair. But it seems like everyone who’s ever been anyone has stayed here, from Churchill to Chaplin and Lawrence to Lennon. There are 44 rooms and 15 suites, but staying here still feels like you’re staying in a country home rather than a hotel. There are original Old Masters on the walls, a spa which boasts Canadian cedarwood hot tubs as well as a whirlpool jacuzzi, boats on the river, two pools and a truly wonderful afternoon tea.
- The Torridon is a remote country escape on the shores of Upper Loch Torridon, with just 18 rooms and 53 acres of park and woodland. The decor its a wonderful meeting of Scottish county house opulence and contemporary design. And there’s a seriously good restaurant and whisky bar.
- With 500 acres of grounds landscaped by ‘Capability’ Brown, Stapleford Park is a wonderful Leicestershire estate to explore - there’s falconry, mini golf and archery to name just s few of the activities on offer. And inside the huge 55 room Georgian mansion the decor is exceptional and the service excellent.
- The Pennyhill Park Hotel and Spa, outside Bagshot, Surrey, is a beautiful, ivy clad 19th century built country house hotel with a Michelin starred restaurant and an award winning spa. There are 123 rooms and suites, surrounded by 123 acres of park and gardens. And you’re only 30minutes from Heathrow and about 45minutes from central London.
The UK’s Best Country House Hotel Escapes
- Barnsley House is an imposing Cotswold stately home with famously glorious gardens and 18 beautifully renovated rooms. The interiors are chic and modern and there’s an indulgent spa and modern British restaurant. Perfect for country walks and a bit of pampering.
- Ardanaiseig, on the beautiful banks of Loch Awe in Argyll is a glorious, and eccentric, baronial mansion turned 18 room country house hotel, with stunning views and award winning food. For real privacy choose the boat shed, which is right on the water.
- Inverlochy Castle is a 17 room castle near Fort William at the foot of Ben Nevis. As well as spectacular views and beautiful decor there’s a multi-award winning, Michelin starred restaurant.
- Babington House near Frome, is a stunning country house with immaculate decor and grounds and an understated elegance which is precisely what many people want from a country house hotel. There are 32 rooms, a bar, restaurant, spa and cinema. There’s also an outdoor hot tub.
- Cavens Hotel, close to Dumfries, is an impressive country house surrounded by 20 acres of woodlands and gardens. There are just eight rooms, decorated with chintz fabrics and nice antiques, plus a stunning Scottish restaurant.
The UK’s Best Country House Hotels - with Hot Tubs
For many of us it’s the ultimate way to unwind, so if you love the idea of your own hot tub, check out our Guru’s ultimate guide to UK hotels with hot tubs, or consider these country house highlights:
- Chewton Glen is a fabulous country house hotel close to the New Forest, renowned for its superb service, excellent food and luxurious spa. Book one of their stunning treehouse suites and you get your own deck with private hot tub....ideal for a relaxing soak after a day exploring the surrounding area.
- South Lodge Hotel is a classic country house retreat near Horsham, West Sussex, with 89 individually designed rooms and suites with handmade mattresses and pillow menus throughout. You’re surrounded by 93 acres of park and gardens and beyond that you have views of the South Downs. One of the restaurants has a Michelin star, the other two AA rosettes. Both the Godman and Farriers Suites have their own private terraces with hot tubs.
- Plumber Manor Hotel is a wonderful Jacobean manor house in glorious Thomas Hardy country. The house was built by, and has belonged to the same family for centuries, the Prideaux-Brunes - and they have the portraits to match, along wth a wonderful air of faded grandeur. Gently eccentric, with a popular and well regarded restaurant.
- Gravetye Manor, in a leafy part of West Sussex, is an Elizabethan mansion with 17 fine, wood panelled bedrooms with four-poster beds, and an exceptionally beautiful garden. There’s also a Michelin starred restaurant.
- South of Belfast in rural Northern Ireland, Newforge House is a six room country house hotel. Built in the elegant Georgian era, the decor has been updated sympathetically where needed. One of the passionate owners is a professional, and accomplished chef.
The Best Country House Hotels by the Seaside
- The Pig on the Beach is part of the enormously popular Pig group of hotels. Effortlessly stylish with a shabby chic feel, come here for a real home from home stay. Apart from the proximity to the Dorset beach another good reason to visit is the food. Gourmet delights are served and the philosophy is to keep the food miles to an absolute minimum with many of the ingredients grown on site.
The UK’s Best Country House Hotels for Families
- Lime Wood in the New Forest is a beautifully redesigned Georgian House turned 32 room hotel, known for its superb, super chic restaurant, its location and its family friendliness.
- Bovey Castle on Dartmoor is 64 room hotel which offers lego room service for the kids and bespoke spa treatments for the adults. There are loads of activities on site, including falconry displays.
- Fowey Hall in Fowey, Cornwall is a 36 room hotel overlooking to Cornish coast. There’s a great pool and spa and beautiful views from the hotel. It’s well kitted out for families, but still very elegant.
- Woolley Grange in Wiltshire, is a Jacobean Manor turned luxury family retreat. There are 26 rooms, stunning grounds, a pool, restaurant, an Ofsted registered playroom, a games room and a spa.
The UK’s Best Value Country House Hotels
- For under £100 a night you can stay at Soulton Hall in Shrewsbury, a splendid Elizabethan manor house with eight romantic, atmospheric rooms and plenty of interesting history to unpick. The surrounds are also very beautiful.
- Also around £100 per night, the Castleman Hotel in Dorset is a stunning country house surrounded by beautiful parkland. There’s an excellent restaurant specialising in using local produce and eight rooms decorated in dark wood with chintz fabrics, some with four-poster beds and roll top baths.
- Norfolk Mead, in the peaceful Norfolk Broads, is a charming, 13 room lakeside hotel with lovely grounds and smart, individually decorated bedrooms. They do lovely Sunday lunches and plush afternoon teas. Rooms start from around £130 per night.
- For a similar room rate you can stay in The Pig Near Bath, a charming boutique hotel converted from an elegant, Grade II listed Georgian mansion. There are 29 rooms, an extensive spa and stunning grounds with a kitchen garden which feeds the excellent restaurant.
If you haven’t found your idea of the UK’s best country house hotels on our Guru’s list you could:
- Browse our Ultimate Guide to UK Hotels with Hot Tubs for relaxing inspiration,
- or consider our Guru’s list of the Most Romantic Hotels in the UK,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The UK’s Best Country House Hotels
The Pig On The Beach from $155South Dorset
Chic, cosy hotel for a weekend break in Dorset. 23 rooms are ultimate shabby chic with four-posters, wooden floors, stand alone bath tubs. Gourmet restaurant uses produce fresh from the kitchen garden. Miles of English coastline to explore and stunning views. The perfect getaway.Exclusive offer - Complimentary UpgradeRestaurant - James Golding prepares delicious food from the kitchen gardenFull of character - Shabby chic rooms with vintage touchesGarden - Kitchen garden, terrace and huge lawnOn the beach - Four miles of unspoilt beaches
Cliveden House 44 rooms from $610Taplow, Berkshire
Grand country house hotel close to London, expensive but luxurious, with historySwimming Pool - Indoor and Outdoor PoolsCountry House - Grand neoclassical pileAntiquesRestaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
Plumber Manor Hotel 16 rooms from $208Sturminster Newton, Dorset
Characterful, family-run Jacobean manor house in glorious Thomas Hardy country. This quintessentially English manor has been in the same family for centuries, with portraits to match. An air of faded grandeur. The real deal.Country Escape - A perfect base for exploring the Dorset countryside- gardens, National Trust Houses, villages and walks.Great walks - Bring your dog and enjoy the 20 acres of well kept grounds, with a river running through.Birdwatching - Take a deckchair and plonk it down by the river, sit, relax and listen to the birdsong.Full of characterRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Newforge House 6 rooms from $247Craigavon, Co. Armagh, County Armagh
Sophisticated family-run country house hotel with excellent food. Original Georgian interiors have been updated with modern elegance - fireplaces, large sash windows, paintings, and tasteful furniture are highlighted by lots of natural light and subtle tones. A romantic escape with plenty to offer.Foodies - Fine three course dining offering seasonal dishesGreat walks - Lurgan, Moira and Hillsborough ParksSights nearby - Lurgan Park & Brownlow HouseSailing - Kinnego MarinaRecommended by - Sawdays
Inverlochy Castle 17 rooms from $436Fort William
Elegance, romance and old-school service in sublime surroundings at the foot of Ben Nevis. Imposing rooms with heavy curtains, chintz wallpaper, antique paintings and four poster beds. The bathrooms are the height of modernity. A multi award winning restaurant. The perfect country getaway.Families - Plenty of kit for the kids indoors including games rooms, DVDs, playstation plus endless outdoor activities.Foodies - This fantastic restaurant has been awarded one Michelin Star and 3 AA Rosettes- utterly delicious!Fishing - Fishing in Loch Na Marag in the Castle grounds or salmon and trout fishing further afield.Great walks - Stunning scenery to be explored starting straight from the property.Recommended by - Johansens, Relais & Chateaux
Chewton Glen 72 rooms from $423New Milton, Hampshire
Classic and superbly run country house hotel with great attention to detail and a wonderful spa close to the New Forest. Newly built, luxury tree-house bedrooms set high in a scenic valley with panoramic views. 5 star amenities, imitable service and gourmet dining.Exclusive offer - Last Minute DealsCountry Escape - A gorgeous country house spa, set in 130 acres of parkland at the edge of the magical New Forest.Great walks - Plenty of walking across the 130 acres of parkland, or head into the New Forest.Fishing - There is fishing available nearby, ask at the hotel for details.Cooking classes - The Kitchen in collaboration with celebrity chef James MartinRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet, Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Johansens, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux
Ardanaiseig 18 rooms from $142By Taynuilt, Argyll
A glorious country house hotel, touched with eccentricity and a little bit of magic. Luxurious decor, stunning views and wonderful food on the banks of Loch Awe.Romantic - Book the 'away from it all' boat shed.Restaurant - Award winning food with 3 AA Rosettes.Fishing - Superb angling for trout, salmon, sea trout and perchViews - Fabulous views across Loch Awe
Woolley Grange 26 rooms from $208Bradford on Avon
Jacobean Manor turned luxury family retreat in stunning gardens with pools. Comfortable, modern rooms are a great welcome after a day of activities. The restaurant caters to all dietary needs and occasions. Children clubs, games rooms, gardens and more gives parents a chance to relax at the spa.Families - Ideal for families with babysitting, kids hang out zones, an Ofsted-registered playroom and plenty of activites on the grounds.Hideaway - With the spa, pool table, table football, extensive grounds, yummy food and homely rooms, you'll find it impossible to leave.Swimming Pool - Indoor and Outdoor PoolFull of characterRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Hotel Endsleigh 18 rooms from $247Milton Abbot, Devon
Historic shooting lodge offers an intimate, Olga Polizzi styled stay. Relax in the stunning grounds or in the library. Beautiful rooms overlook the valley and stretch of private river. Italian meets Spanish cuisine with Jose Graziosi's delicious dishes. Good for outdoor-types and families.Exclusive offer - Nature RetreatFamilies - Babysitting and monitors available plus such delights as picnics (complete with lanterns and blankets) in the grounds.Honeymoons - Fairytale suites, gourmet cuisine, cosy fireside sofas and incredible grounds for strolling hand in hand- enchanting!Country Escape - Extensive grounds for fishing, shooting, and rambling, plus plenty of comfy armchairs for the weary walker!Sights nearby - The National Trust and its stately homes make for a great day exploring - Cothele House, Saltram House and Castle Drogo.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection
Fowey Hall 36 rooms from $228Fowey, Cornwall
Small country house hotel overlooking the south Cornish coast, kitted out for families, with pool and spa - so beware if you have none in tow.FamiliesSwimming Pool - Indoor PoolViews - Great views from hotelKids Club - Fully staffed.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
Pennyhill Park Hotel and The Spa 123 rooms from $436Bagshot, Surrey
Creeper clad 19th century country house hotel. Michelin-starred restaurant and award winning spa just half an hour from Heathrow. Country style with lavish facilities.Spa - The fabulous spa boasts eight indoor and outdoor pools, plus canadian hot tubs, treatments and much more.TraditionalSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Tablet, Johansens, Small Luxury Hotels
Cavens House 8 rooms from $234by Dumfries, Dumfries and Galloway
An impressive country house set in a stunning location. Traditional rooms feature large sash windows and tastefully upholstered furniture. Good Scottish cuisine with award winning service. Plenty of country pursuits in the surrounding area. An ideal country escape with all the comforts of home.Country Escape - A charming country house set in 20 acres of woodland and lawns, with excellent walking and warm fires to great your return.Romantic Break - A cosy hideaway for two in this enchanting part of the country, with charming suites and romantic dining.Birdwatching - Pack the binoculars as there are two nearby reserves RSPB Mersehead and WWT Caerlaverock.Sights nearby - Explore the 17th century Drumlanrig Castle and the 13th century Sweetheart Abbey.Recommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
Barnsley House 18 rooms from $389Cirencester (Barnsley)
An imposing Cotswold house set within stunning (deservedly famed) gardens. Gorgeously renovated rooms are light, airy and full of mod cons. The chic modern interiors, indulgent spa and contemporary British cuisine make it hard to leave! A popular rural escape for urbanites.Exclusive offer - 4 nights for the price of 3Romantic Break - A stately home with indulgent chic interiors- think dual baths, large suites and a pampering spa.Country Escape - A rural abode on another level, the ultimate luxury getaway in stunning surrounds.Great walks - This area is littered with beautiful walks, ask at the front desk to be pointed towards a favourite.Cooking classes - The nearby reputed Foodworks Cookery School offers a number of different classes for various levels.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Johansens, Kiwi Collection
Gravetye Manor 17 rooms from $339East Grinstead, West Sussex
An Elizabethan gem of timeless comforts, with fine wood panelled bedrooms, four poster beds and an exceptional garden. Old fashioned hospitality with modern standards. Independently owned with Michelin starred cooking and lots of outdoor activities.Romantic Break - Grand period country house - utterly charming for a couple's getawayFoodies - The restaurant holds one Michelin starFishing - Boasts a 3 acre lake for fly fishingGreat walks - A range of wonderful local walksRecommended by - Johansens, Relais & Chateaux
Babington House 32 rooms from $378Nr Frome, Somerset
Stunning country house and grounds. Immaculately chic interiors. Understated elegance and five-star luxury. Bar, restaurant, spa, and cinema.Private Hot Tub - The Wood Cabin features an outdoor hot tubSpaSwimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Kiwi Collection
The Torridon 18 rooms from $287Ross-shire
Country escape on the shores of Upper Loch Torridon. 53 acres of park and woodland provide many outdoor activities. Scottish country house opulence twinned with contemporary designs. Seriously good restaurant and whisky bar.Restaurant - 3 AA RosettesRemote - Off the beaten track.TraditionalGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays, Michelin Travel
Stapleford Park 55 rooms from $375nr Melton Mowbray, Leicestershire
Unusual and massive Georgian country house hotel and sporting estate, popular for weddings and corporate events. Plenty of activities for the active, including golf.Child friendly - Mini golf, falconery, archery - and Rutland Water and TwinlakesGarden - 500 acres landscaped by Capability BrownViews - Great views from hotelSpaRecommended by - Johansens, Small Luxury Hotels
Bovey Castle 64 rooms from $298Chagford (Dartmoor)
Family friendly country hotel with something for everyone: lego room service for the little ones & bespoke spa treatments for the adults! Ideally situated for exploring the wilderness of Dartmoor and more activities on site than you can imagine.Child friendly - Daily egg collecting, meet the ferrets and falconry displays. Colouring books & crayons for little ones at meal times!Spa - UK's flagship SUNDARI spaFamiliesGreat walks - Complimentary walking guides and dog towels.Recommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Small Luxury Hotels
Soulton Hall 8 rooms from $122Shrewsbury, Shropshire
A splendid Elizabethan manor located in rural Shropshire. Steeped in history (it features oak panelling from the 1400s), romantic, atmospheric, yet comfortable and hospitable. Highly recommended for a country getaway with self catering cottages for those who prefer more flexibility.Birdwatching - At least 83 varieties of field birds can be found in the surrounding countrysideGreat walks - Great walks from the front doorViews - Great views from hotelRomantic - Good for couples.
Lime Wood 32 rooms from $254Lyndhurst, Hampshire
Scintillating luxury hotel in a superbly redesigned Georgian house in the heart of the New Forest. Wonderfully comfortable beds in large rooms all with unique features including free standing baths, fireplaces or four posters. A superb restaurant curated by a celebrity chef. Countryside perfection.Exclusive offer - Lastminute offersFoodies - A super chic restaurant, serving Anglo-Italian fare. A product of Lime Wood’s Luke Holder and high-profile chef Angela Hartnett.Families - Extra beds allowed in rooms, kids activities on site and baby sitting facilities makes this an obvious choice for parents.Country Escape - A beautifully renovated country house situated in the heart of one of the UKs finest National Parks.Cooking classes - The excellent Hartnett Holder &Co Backstage cookery school has a wide variety of hands on courses.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Good Hotel Guide, Johansens, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Sawdays
Norfolk Mead 13 rooms from 130Norwich, Norfolk
Charming country house hotel in Norfolk Broads with its own boat for exploring the waterways. Lovely grounds and lake. Smart individually decorated bedrooms. Sumptuous breakfast, Sunday lunch, proper afternoons teas and hampers provided. Perfect for short breaks, weddings or business conferences.Garden - Well-kept pretty garden with lake and wildfowl. The 12 acres extend to bank of the River BureSights nearby - minute drive away or visit the Sandringham Estate and its beautiful groundsFishing - There is a fishing lake in the grounds and off-river mooringGreat walks - There are over 300km of footpaths around the Norfolk BroadsRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
The Pig near Bath 29 rooms from $181Bath, Somerset
Charming boutique hotel. Quirky rooms sit within the Grade II listed building and cozy outhouses. Restaurant and kitchen garden, extensive spa, stunning grounds. Country walks and sights nearby make it the perfect romantic getaway.Exclusive offer - UpgradeCountry House - Georgian Mansion, Hunstrete House, a Grade-II listed country house dating from 1820Foodies - All food in the restaurant is locally sourced within 25 milesGarden - Kitchen garden growing vegetables, herbs and fruitSpa - Potting Shed spaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape
Castleman Hotel 8 rooms from $130Blandford Forum, Dorset
Stunning country house in beautiful parkland. Excellent restaurant priding itself on using local produce. Traditional interiors with dark woods, warm coloured walls and chintz fabrics. A handful of rooms some featuring roll top baths and antique four poster beds. The ideal country escape.Exclusive offer - Midweek OfferTotal relaxation - Sipping Champagne in your claw footed tub, feasting on traditional English delights, and bracing walks through the countryside.Great walks - Bring your wellies, there are beautiful walks from the village to sandy beaches, chalk downlands and ancient heathlands.Fishing - Anglers will be kept busy with fantastic fishing on the river Stour, Allen and Avon.Secluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide