The Most Romantic Hotels in The Cotswolds
The gently rolling green hills and postcard-perfect villages, with their honey coloured stone mansions, ancient churches and thatched cottages, make the Cotswolds one of the most quintessentially English of all the UK's regions. If you love a cream tea under exposed beams, or a pint overlooking a view which includes a rickety old almshouse and a romantic looking church and churchyard - and probably some sheep - then the Cotswolds are very much for you. Ye Olde England at its best. And our Guru’s collection of the most romantic hotels in the Cotswolds continue this beautiful bygone dream.
The Cotswolds are popular with walkers and cyclists, and our list of the most romantic hotels in the Cotswolds has some wonderful suggestions for lovers of the great outdoors, but our Gurus have also found some scenic boltholes, for those of you who don’t want to get out too much. We’ve also uncovered a couple of excellent inns and pubs with rooms if you like things friendly and laid back, and a handful of exquisite country house hotels if you’re looking for something fancy.
As well as scenic walks and great, locally sourced food, the Cotswolds are a great place for farmer’s markets and antique and art shopping. There are a slew of graceful stately homes and numerous evocative churches.
The Most Romantic Hotels in The Cotswolds
The Best Special Occasion Hotels in The Cotswolds
- The Close Hotel in Tetbury is a wonderful 16th century manor turned 18 room boutique hotel. Each room has unique decor and its own colour palette, ranging from pale florals to a bold tartan, but many have roll top baths and spectacular views. Breakfast in bed comes as a standard.
- Cowley Manor is a chic, contemporary manor house sent on 55 beautiful acres. The decor uses the original features, but is quite trendy with them, and the furniture is modern, and the result is quite sophisticated.
The Best Romantic Escape Hotels in The Cotswolds
- The New Inn at Coln is a 17th century coaching inn with 13 modern, comfortable rooms and an award-winning restaurant and bar. Perfect for walkers.
- If you’re looking for a private escape then Buttress House, which is a bijou B&B with just two rooms, might be for you. The decor is stylish, wth period features, and there’s a beautiful garden.
The Most Romantic Country House Hotels in The Cotswolds
- Buckland Manor is near Broadway and Chipping Campden on the edge of the Cotswold escarpment and its 13 elegant rooms have beautiful views. This is the kind of place you dress for dinner, and the restaurant has won awards, of you can wander down to the pub. There are ten acres of garden around the hotel to explore.
- Dormy House is a newly refurbished 38 room hotel which has retained its oak beams, wood panelling and open fires, but added all the mod. cons. and a soft, neutral palette. Also close to Broadway and Chipping Campden.
- Barnsley House is an imposing house set within stunning gardens, with 18 gorgeously light and airy rooms, an indulgent spa and a chic restaurant serving modern British cuisine.
The Most Romantic Hotels with Hot Tubs in The Cotswolds
- Tetbury’s Calcot Manor House is a charming, 14th century manor house turned chic retreat, with trendy art, bold wallpaper and deep soaking tubs. The gardens are beautifully landscapes and there’s an outdoor hot tub, stunning pool and pampering spa. Be prepared to meet people, as the house has a country house party feel.
- If you’d like to have your very own hot tub, the Manor House Hotel in Moreton in Marsh, can provide. Its Apple Cottage Suite has its own private garden too. The other 35 odd rooms and suites are also quite luxurious, with a classic, yet contemporary feel, and there’s also an award-wining restaurant.
- The garden suites at Lower Slaughter Manor also have private hot tubs, and this beautiful country house also has elegant public rooms, individually decorated rooms and a very good restaurant.
- Chipping Campden’s Cotswold House Hotel is an historic property in the heart of a quaint village, with 28 indulgent bedrooms and an excellent six room spa. This is a cosy country escape with open fires, deep soaking tubs and relaxed dining.
If these properties appeal to you, why not check out our Guru’s full list of hotels with hot tubs in the Cotswolds.
The Most Affordable Romantic Hotels in The Cotswolds
- The Hare and Hounds Hotel in Tetbury is a traditional, and rather elegant, Cotswold country house hotel, but with newly refurbished rooms and suites. There are 42 rooms, and you can dine in the hotel’s own pub. Two of the suites have private hot tubs, but standard doubles start from around £100 per night.
- The Ragged Cot is a lovely 17th century inn in a beautiful spot overlooking 600 acres of National Trust land - perfect for long walks. There are just nine rooms. The menu is seasonal and very good.
If you haven’t found your idea of the most romantic hotels in the Cotswolds on our Guru’s list you could:
- Consult our Ultimate Guide to the Most Romantic Hotels in the UK,
- browse through our list of all the best places to stay in the Cotswolds,
- or our Guru’s collection of Hotels with Hot Tubs in the Cotswolds,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Most Romantic Hotels in The Cotswolds
The Close Hotel 18 rooms from £160Tetbury, The Cotswolds
In the market town of Tetbury you will find The Close's grand grey stone façade. Dating back to 1535 and lovingly transformed into a stylish boutique hotel. Each of the 18 rooms is unique, ranging from pretty florals to dark country cheques with roll-top baths and views. A full English is included.Hideaway - Beautiful rooms, deep roll-top baths and breakfast in bed: there are so many reasons not to leave.Local markets - Held every Wednesday, Tetbury market stalls display a colourful array of locally produced foods.Sights nearby - The stately home of Cirencester Park will give you some serious 'house' envy.Great walks - Whatever the season Westonbirt Arboretum is alive with colour.
Cowley Manor from £250nr Cheltenham, The Cotswolds
A contemporary-chic manor house set on 55 beautiful acres, in the Cotswold countryside. Trendy rooms mix the best of both worlds, with original sash windows, high ceilings and fireplaces mixed with sleek handmade modern furnishings and bold colour combos. A sophisticated, fun country escape.Spa - Wide range of treatments using Green & Spring products.Swimming Pool - Outdoor and indoor heated pools.Restaurant - Recommended.Great walks - 55 acres of parkland surround the proerty with natural springs, lakes, and Victorian cascades.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
New Inn at Coln 13 rooms from £140Cirencester, The Cotswolds
17th century coaching inn. Modern, comfortable interior. Award-winning restaurant, bar, terrace.Romantic - Good for couples.TraditionalGreat walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - I Escape, Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays, Michelin Travel
Buckland Manor 13 rooms from £195Buckland nr Broadway, The Cotswolds
Charming 13th Century manor house, steeped in tradition, on the edge of the Cotswold escarpment. Graceful rooms exude comfort and a timeless elegance. Dress for dinner in the award-winning seasonally inspired restaurant. Explore the beautiful grounds and countryside,Country Escape - Read by the roaring fire, try your hand and tennis and croquet or simply wander the grounds- an ideal country retreat.Great walks - Wander by the river and through the ten acres of beautiful gardens, or head down to the village for a pint.Remote - Off the beaten track.Full of characterRecommended by - Frommers, Relais & Chateaux, Fodors
Barnsley House 18 rooms from £299Cirencester (Barnsley)
An imposing Cotswold house set within stunning (deservedly famed) gardens. Gorgeously renovated rooms are light, airy and full of mod cons. The chic modern interiors, indulgent spa and contemporary British cuisine make it hard to leave! A popular rural escape for urbanites.Romantic Break - A stately home with indulgent chic interiors- think dual baths, large suites and a pampering spa.Country Escape - A rural abode on another level, the ultimate luxury getaway in stunning surrounds.Great walks - This area is littered with beautiful walks, ask at the front desk to be pointed towards a favourite.Cooking classes - The nearby reputed Foodworks Cookery School offers a number of different classes for various levels.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection
Buttress House 2 rooms from £125Chedworth, The Cotswolds
Bijou B&B in the heart of the Cotswolds. With just two rooms this is an intimate property and the perfect bolthole for city types looking to escape! Stylish interiors complement period features, all set in beautiful gardens. Delicious breakfasts & supper on request.Sights nearby - Bang in the heart of the Cotswolds, with lots to explore. Just 10 miles from Cheltenham & CirencesterGreat walks - Good for walkers.Local markets - Good for local colour.Romantic - Good for couples.
Calcot Manor Hotel 35 rooms from £199Tetbury, The Cotswolds
A charming 14th century manor house in Tetbury, Gloucestershire. Chic rooms feature bold wallpaper prints, soft tones, deep soaking tubs and trendy artworks. The beautifully landscaped gardens feature a range of family activities as well as a pool and spa. An elegant country retreat.Swimming Pool - Stunning indoor Swimming PoolKids Club - Fully staffed.Secluded setting - For escaping.House party feel - Be prepared to meet people.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors, Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection
Manor House Hotel 35 rooms from £159Moreton in Marsh, The Cotswolds
16th century manor house in the centre of picturesque Moreton in Marsh. Classic yet contemporary rooms and Apple Cottage Suite with its own private garden and hot tub. Award winning fine dining. A chic yet relaxed spot and ideal base for exploring the Cotswolds.Sights nearby - Moreton in Marsh is the perfect base for exploring the Cotswolds, Bath or Oxford.Private Hot Tub - If you book the Apple Cottage SuiteFour poster beds - Some rooms feature four poster bedsTraditional
Lower Slaughter Manor 19 rooms from £195Lower Slaughter, The Cotswolds
Lower Slaughter Manor is beautiful, but relaxed and unstuffy with it. The 19 rooms are all different, some featuring four-poster beds and stand alone baths, some with bold wallpaper and colourful fabrics, so consider a few before you make your choice. The restaurant serves gourmet meals.Private Hot Tub - If you book a garden suiteSecluded setting - For escaping.Cooking classes - Check for timings.Four poster beds - For romantics.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Relais & Chateaux, Michelin Travel
Cotswold House Hotel 28 rooms from £144Chipping Campden, The Cotswolds
A historic property in the heart of a quaint village. Rooms are modern with indulgent bathrooms - think rain showers and large free standing baths. Open fireplaces give a cosy feel. Relaxed dining areas serve food inspired by local produce. The six room spa is excellent. The perfect country escape.Total relaxation - Refresh yourself at this quaint country retreat, enjoy spa treatments, long walks and deep soaking tubs!Sights nearby - Just 5kms away is Broadway Tower a unique Capability Brown Folly Tower which has imressive views.Local markets - Chipping Campden has a whole range of quirky independent shops selling crafts and gifts.Great walks - Explore the Cotswolds countryside, renowned for it's natural beauty and serenity.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Frommers, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
Hare and Hounds Hotel 42 rooms from £125Tetbury, The Cotswolds
The Hare and Hounds is a traditional Cotswold country house hotel. The newly refurbished rooms and suites have an air of elegance and surround a delightful courtyard. The restaurant's creative menu is popular with locals and visitors alike. The best in comfort with its own country pub.Local markets - The historic Cotswold market town of Tetbury is only two miles away.Private Hot Tub - Two suites feature private hot tubsSights nearby - Highgrove House is just a mile awayHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
The Ragged Cot 9 rooms from £85STROUD, Gloucestershire
Lovely 17th century inn in a beautiful rural spot overlooking 600 acres of National Trust common land. Comfortable rooms and an excellent seasonal menu complete the stay. Fuel yourself for long walks in the country and wind down with an evening by the fire.Country Escape - Surrounded by bucolic Gloucestershire there are plenty of 'country' activities - and lots of pubs.Romantic Break - The perfect hidey hole for a weekend break in the country.Great walks - The National Trust lands of Minchinhampton and Rodborough Commons are prime walking territory.Local markets - The market town of Minchinhampton hs awash with farm stalls and antique shops.