20 Best Luxury Hotels in South Carolina
A southeastern state, known for its old fashioned charm and beautiful Atlantic shoreline, South Carolina is a destination that welcomes time and exploration. There are a myriad of reasons to visit — as many reasons as there are visitors — so our Gurus have decided the trick to recommending the best luxury hotels in South Carolina is to seek out the crowd pleasers, and then pepper the list with a few niche picks. They found Charleston to be a particular hub of elegant, luxurious hotels, but their recommendations also include some gorgeous resorts in the Sea Islands and in Myrtle Beach, and inland, close to spectacular waterways. Plus a number of impressive golf resorts. They hope they’ve found a luxurious South Carolina hotel for everyone…
For a Special Occasion
- Zero George Street is a haven of comfort and elegance, occupying three early 19th century colonial era clapboard townhouses, each with plenty of Southern charm. All in there are 18 rooms and suites, with wonderful original features and luxurious linens — this is the stuff interiors magazines come calling for. Foodies will appreciate it here too, the original carriage house has been converted into a kitchen and restaurant, the kind of place where you can see the chefs at work. Zero George Street is a few blocks from the heart of Charleston, where there’s plenty to see, do, eat and drink.
For a Beach Break
- The Beach Club at Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina is a luxurious resort with a private beach and views over Charleston. Its 92 rooms and suites overlook a huge resort pool, then the marina, the ocean and the sunset. The range of room shapes and sizes is excellent — the Family Parlor Rooms are idea for families, with their second bedroom and private outdoor space, and they have some extremely romantic picks too. Families will appreciate the waterslides, playground, sailing camp and sunset s’mores, while couples will appreciate the range of dining options and waterfront Tiki Bar where they serve sunset cocktails. There’s a large spa too.
- The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort is a luxurious choice, offering the finest in Southern charm, in a beautiful and peaceful spot, looking out over ten miles of pristine, sandy beach, and the Atlantic at Kiawah Island. The resort has 255 rooms and suites, decorated with classical style, lashings of space and comfort, and ocean views. There’s a world class golf course, tennis courts, a choice of five restaurants, a state-of-the-art spa and indoor pool, and plenty to do.
For Charleston Chic
- Charleston’s Hotel Bennett occupies a memorable building — large and white, with grand entrances, large windows, and plenty of glamour. The inside is glamorous too, with spacious public areas, and 179 rooms and suites — some of them huge: complete with living space and private terraces. All have classical furnishings in pale shades, and lavish white bathrooms. There’s a pool on the rooftop, where you can also find a Mediterranean restaurant, or you can eat in the hotel’s signature restaurant, Gabrielle’s, which has a European flavour.
- The Market Pavilion Hotel is another chic choice in Charleston, with similar traditional luxury, and another show-stopping rooftop pool. The Market Pavilion is smaller, though, with 70 rooms and suites, and decor that incorporates a lot of dark wood, and plush prints and fabrics. The location is excellent, close enough to the historic waterfront to have cocktails on the foot terrace and watch the sun set over the ocean. Downstairs is a piano bar and a popular steak restaurant. For added romance opt for a Terrace Suite, they have private terraces and marble fitted bathtubs.
For a Relaxing Retreat
- The Hotel Domestique offers a romantic, chateau-style experience in a peaceful, rural setting near the border with North Carolina. The 13 rooms and suites are simply, but very elegantly decorated, with a neutral colour palette and original art — the most romantic have four-poster beds, fireplaces, mountain views, and stand-alone tubs too. Perfect as a retreat, but also much loved by cyclists, they offer yoga classes and a massage and treatment menu that will appeal to both camps. The public spaces and cool, contemporary restaurant are a real pleasure, plus there’s a pool and tennis courts.
- Wentworth Mansion is a Charleston charmer: a converted mansion from Gilded Age America, with marble floors, vaulted ceilings, ornate original stained glass and fireplaces, and some seriously impressive art and antiques. The mansion has just 21 rooms and suites, all different, plus a spa converted from the mansion’s former stables. There’s also a garden, library and a charming restaurant.
- The Spectator is a boutique-style hotel in the centre of Charleston, with contemporary Art Deco style decor, and warm, Southern hospitality. It has 41 rooms and suites, with a white-on-white colour scheme and private balconies or terraces. The public areas have a more salty colour scheme, and there's a 1920s style speakeasy bar/library. There’s no restaurant, but they offer breakfast, and you’re a short stroll from numerous places to eat and drink.
- 86 Cannon is an elegant private Charleston residence built in the 1860s, turned seven room boutique hotel. The interiors reference European chic, with mid-century modern shapes and decorative wallpapers, and there’s a very Southern warmth to the welcome. Think cheese and wine served on the verandah of an evening, generous breakfasts, and a charming neighbourhood of places to drink and dine. Adults only.
For a Weekend Break
- The Hotel Bella Grace is a stylish, contemporary hotel converted from a 1830s building in historic Charleston. The contemporary design conversion is pretty complete, with plenty of creamy white and pale grey marble, monochrome decor, and 50 cleverly designed rooms, suites and studios. Breakfast is included, but you can self cater if you would prefer, though there is a popular Charleston restaurant right next door. The hotel has a gym too, and beautiful terraces.
- The Anchorage 1770 in Beaufort is an historic townhouse turned boutique hotel, with 15 grand, individually styled rooms and suites, all with plenty of luxurious features. Intimate and peaceful, and with fine dining facilities, this is something of a retreat — though with a very popular Lowcountry restaurant. The Anchorage also has a bar, an elegant garden, and complimentary bike hire.
- The Willcox is a grand and graceful, 19th century mansion turned 22 room boutique hotel in Aiken, known for its fine Southern hospitality, classical interiors and proximity to some world renowned golf courses. Expect stylish antiques, plump furnishings, a welcoming spa, and a highly regarded restaurant.
- Montage Palmetto Bluff is a luxury resort on the May River, complete with a golf course, a choice of hotel pools and restaurants, and an impressive collection of accommodation that includes entire clapboard cottages and villas. This is certainly the sort of resort you don’t need to leave — with a list of facilities that includes stables, tennis courts, a collection of boats for hire along with lots of watersports gear, five restaurants, a kids club, a private beach club, and hotel bikes. There’s also a spa. And a bar. And meeting rooms!
For Resort Facilities
- The Inn and Club at Harbour Town is a holiday resort with all the bells and whistles, including an award-winning golf course, a beach club, tennis courts, complimentary resort bikes, yoga classes and a chic clubhouse. There are 60 rooms and suites, with plenty of variation — there’s an especially romantic part of the resort, which is in a different location to the especially family friendly part. The decor is elegantly traditional, and there’s plenty of space.
For Design Chic
- The Grand Bohemian Hotel Charleston is a luxurious choice in historic Charleston, with bold decor and a contemporary art gallery that spills into the rest of the hotel. As well as art, the 50 rooms and suites feature crushed velvet, printed drapes, ornate lighting, fluffy robes and smart TVs. Expect champagne on arrival, a funky rooftop bar with city views, and a fancy restaurant and wine bar.
- The Dewberry is rather glorious 155 room hotel in an historic Charleston building. The decor is traditionally charming, with a chic blend of antiques and contemporary pieces, and a warm pastel colour scheme. The French brasserie style restaurant is a chic choice locally, and there are two bars, know for elegant cocktails and oysters. This hotel epitomises Southern charm at its contemporary finest. And it’s family friendly too.
- The Emeline is an elegantly converted historic hotel, with plenty of charm, decor worthy of an interiors magazine, a chic courtyard and terrace, and lively dining options. It’s 212 rooms and suites are memorable for all the right reasons, and despite the hotel’s size, there’s an intimacy and character — think complimentary evening limoncello toasts and original artworks and vintage pieces.
For Historic Charleston
- The Planters Inn was built in the 19th century, in a central Charleston spot, with classical decor and a fine dining restaurant. It hasn’t changed a huge amount since then, though of course the idea of mod. cons. has progressed, and now each room has satellite TV, luxurious modern bathrooms, and many times updated furnishings — though still plenty of original antiques and art. The inn has 64 rooms and suites, plus an elegant restaurant with a terrace and bar.
- The Charleston Place is a grand old hotel; it's large, historic and luxurious. Located in the historic heart of Charleston, and offering an impressive reception and old Southern hospitality, this hotel has class and facilities in spades. The grill has a menu of old Southern classics, the bar is popular with locals as well as guests, and there’s an indoor pool, spa, gym and 434 rooms and suites.
- 20 South Battery is an historic, private mansion turned 11 room B&B, carefully returned to its elegant best, which means four-poster beds, stylish sitting rooms, impressive antiques and period artwork. But also all the mod cons like smart TVs and fancy bath products. The South Battery location means sea views and the waterfront promenade, beautiful local gardens, and plenty of colonial character. There’s no restaurant, but they do offer breakfast, and cheese and wine of an evening.
Still not sure where to book?
- You could browse our recommendations for all the best places to stay in South Carolina
- Or refine your search to just the best places to stay in best places to stay in Charleston or Beaufort on Port Royal Island or the Blue Ridge Mountains
- Or you might want to refine by the type of hotel and try our list of the best beach hotels in South Carolina
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
The Inn and Club at Harbour Town Hilton Head Island, South Carolina 60 rooms from £396Golf - Play at Sea Pines Resort's championship courses; Harbour Town Golf Links, Heron Point by Pete Dye & Atlantic Dunes by Davis LoveBeach Life - Enjoy complimentary shuttle to Sea Pines Beach Club where you'll find chairs, umbrellas, towels & coolers as well as restaurantLocal exploring - Picture-perfect Harbour Town has classic island holiday feel; walk to shops, art galleries & restaurants or board boat chartersResort - Guests have access to golf, tennis, beach club, restaurants, activities & excursions provided by The Sea Pines Resort
A luxurious Sea Pines holiday resort with a grown-up feel. Spoiling rooms have been designed for relaxation with Italian linens, spa bathrooms & the latest high-tech touches. Head to the beach club, award-winning golf or clubhouse restaurant. Ideal for vacations without a hitch. See More
The Spectator Charleston 41 rooms from £226Local exploring - Right in the heart of the Historic District, with neo-classical architecture, cobblestone streets and antebellum mansions.City Style - A sleek choice- this boutique hotel boasts cool 1920's speakeasy bar, crisp modern rooms and phenomanal service.Local markets - The Historic Charleston City Market is just down the road.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.
A boutique hotel in the centre of historic Charleston, evoking the style of the roaring twenties, complemented with Southern charm and hospitality. Stylish rooms and suites with an art deco vibe, some with balcony or terrace and gourmet breakfast delivered to your door. A chic city centre spot. See More
Hotel Bennett Charleston 179 rooms from £311City Style - A sumptuous, luxury hotel mixing European grandeur with Southern hospitalityLocal exploring - Walking distance from the historic part of CharlestonRestaurant - Signature restaurant Gabrielle has a very European feel, or try Fiat Lux for its Mediterranean cuisine and rooftop viewsLocal markets - Visit the weekly farmers market that's held at Marion Square
The Hotel Bennett has an imposing white exterior which opens up onto suitably grand interiors. Luxurious rooms have a traditional European feel with antique-style furniture and lavish bathrooms. Excellent regional dishes are served in the restaurant and the rooftop pool is a very nice addition. See More
Market Pavilion Hotel Charleston (Historic District) 70 rooms from £218Local exploring - Fantastic location in the heart of Charleston; waterfront, historic homes, nightlife, sites, restaurants & shops on the doorstepSwimming Pool - The cascading rooftop pool with historic Charleston views is one of a kind in the city. A real draw on hot sunny daysRomantic Break - Old school romance; think grand pianos, epic sunsets, romantic dinners, rooftop cocktails and jetted bathtubsRestaurant - With its classically elegant setting, Grill 225 Restaurant is considered one of the best steakhouses in the city
Traditional luxury hotel boasting a prime Charleston location & show-stopping rooftop pool. Classic rooms with period decor & ornate bathrooms reflect the city's rich history; dine at the old-world steakhouse or enjoy al fresco cocktails with sea views. Suits those after good old-fashioned romance. See More
Hotel Domestique Riverview, South Carolina 13 rooms from £351Cycling - Try some of the best road, gravel, mountain & e-Bikes in a setting perfect for cycling. There are guides & mechanics on-siteUnusual - Created by Tour de France champion & elite cyclist George Hincapie to offer an unmatched experience in adventure travelRomantic Break - The Bridal Suite comes complete with a stand-alone soaking tub, four-poster bed, scenic mountain views & fireplaceWeddings - A romantic setting that transports you to the chateaux of Europe; make a weekend of it to maximise the fun
Blending the style of a European country house with the feel of a well-heeled friend's home, this deluxe property is a cyclist's haven. Set amongst rolling hills with romantic rooms, a restaurant & an outdoor pool; guests can head out on elite bikes & come back to massages. Unique boutique retreat. See More
Wentworth Mansion Charleston (South Carolina) 21 rooms from £390Great walks - This pet friendly hotel is the perfect place for all the family, and there are many parks to take your pooch for a walk.OpulentTraditionalRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Fodors
America’s Gilded Age mansion oozes Charleston history through its marble floors, vaulted high ceilings and antique furnishings. Large rooms with fireplaces are unique and with modern amenities and complimentary breakfast. Enjoy a range of spa treatments or head out to explore yester-year. See More
The Beach Club at Charleston Harbor Resort & Marina Charleston 92 rooms from £293Families - Family Parlor Rooms are ideal for those with kids; there's a second bedroom with twin beds as well as fireplace & outdoor spaceBeach Life - Although swimming is not possible, the resort's private white sand beach is perfect for sandcastles, relaxing and sunbathingTotal relaxation - Ultimate fly and flop destination with unbeatable combo of sun, sea views, private beach, pools, spa and sites nearbySwimming Pool - The large outdoor family pool is every child's dream. For those after a quieter time there is year-round heated 'quiet' pool
Luxury resort with views over Charleston. This expansive waterfront property boasts a private beach, amazing sunsets, seaside dining, pools & multiple dining options; it works for couples, families and friends. Super comfortable contemporary-style rooms offer balconies, lots of space and sea views. See More
86 Cannon Charleston 7 rooms from £293Local exploring - Set in a leafy area of Charleston, close to high-end boutiques and restaurants, this hotel is a luxury base for local exploringRomantic Break - With beautifully appointed suites and two open-air terraces, this hotel makes an indulgent couples' getawayCity Style - Set in a heritage property in a stylish Charleston neighbourhood, this hotel has reams of local city charmGreat walks - Discover historic downtown Charleston on a guided walking tour; enquire at the hotel for more detailsRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
This boutique hotel is nestled within a 1860s residence in the heart of Charleston. Interiors blend mid-century elegance with classic French design and a touch of Southern style. With nightly wine and cheese served on the hotel verandah, this is a discerning city bolt-hole. See More
Grand Bohemian Hotel Charleston Charleston (Historic District) 50 rooms from £298Roof terrace - Modelled on a secret garden, this fourth floor rooftop oasis boasts botanical cocktails, dining and historic city skyline viewsBusiness meetings - In addition to ballroom and event spaces, there's art gallery cocktail receptions, wine-tastings and farm-to-table diningArtworks - Visit the hotel's art gallery where contemporary artwork, sculptures and jewelry created by local artists is for saleCity Style - Luxurious pad in the heart of the action; enjoy both world-class amenities and enviable location
Luxury hotel with all the trimmings located in historic downtown. Expect champagne on arrival, an art-filled atrium, funky rooftop with city views, fine-dining restaurant and upscale wine bar. Colourful rooms are compact but exceedingly comfortable with fluffy robes, smart TVs and modern artwork. See More
Hotel Bella Grace Charleston (Historic District) 50 rooms from £222City Style - Sleek city bolthole with impressive credentials; the hotel's architect, interior designer and gallerist make an all-female teamWalking distance restaurants - Trendy Delaney Oyster House is in the same building but not part of the hotel. Tuck into cocktails & signature seafood plattersLocal exploring - Tranquil base that's walking distance from the city's major sites, historic architecture and entertainment on King StreetRomantic Break - Grown-up understated luxury ideal for weekends away; rooms come with fluffy robes, impressive tech and delicious coffee
Tasteful conversion of a centrally-located 1830s home into a design-led modern luxury boutique hotel. Grey, marble and monochrome tones give an on-trend feel to well-designed rooms and self-catered studios. Plus there's a gym, terrace and breakfast included, and a popular restaurant next door. See More
The Charleston Place Charleston (South Carolina) 434 rooms from £285Great walks - Head to Waterfront Park for walk trails and fountains.Sights nearby - Confederate Museum closeby.TraditionalLively - Hip and happening.Recommended by - Tablet
Old South hospitality, grand reception rooms and prime spot in the historic centre. Rooms are conservatively decorated with marble bathrooms and city views. Charleston Grill is southern cooking at its finest and a drinking hole for locals. Plus there's a rooftop pool, spa and gym. See More
Planters Inn Charleston (South Carolina) 64 rooms from £258Local markets - Charleston City Market is a chance to meet Lowcountry artisans including more than 50 Gullah sweetgrass basket weavers.Great walks - Middleton Place or Magnolia Gardens, previous plantation houses, offer some brilliant gardens.Sights nearby - Confederate Museum.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Relais & Chateaux
Prime location in the historic district, a 19th Century inn with classic interiors and fine dining at Peninsula Grill. Spacious rooms offer four-poster beds, private sitting rooms and bathrooms. Dine al fresco, or explore the city market for many other options. A historian's dream stay. See More
Montage Palmetto Bluff Bluffton, South Carolina 200 rooms from £254Active Holiday - With so many onsite activities from golf, to shooting to watersports, you'll never be bored!Golf - 18-hole Jack Nicklaus Signature course at the May River Golf ClubFamilies - From young to old, there really is something here for all agesKids Club - PB Explorers and Pioneers clubs welcome children from 5-12 years, and offer a wide range of activities and eventsRecommended by - Tablet
A luxury resort set on the May River complete with a golf course, pools & full-service spa. Southern-style clapboard cottages have fireplaces, fine linens and modern bathrooms. With endless river and ranch activities plus no less than five restaurants, this is perfect family holiday material. See More
The Sanctuary at Kiawah Island Golf Resort Kiawah Island, South Carolina 255 rooms from £251Beach Life - Look out over a 10 mile stretch of pristine sandy beach just steps away. Ask the beach concierge for chairs, umbrellas & towelsFamilies - Ideal for upmarket family vacations with activities, amenities & dining options to keep the whole family occupied for daysGolf - A world-famous golf destination that has hosted PGA and World Cup events, there are 5 courts designed by golf legendsWeddings - Perfect for destination weddings. Say vows in the on-site chapel before celebrating in the elegant ballroom
Luxurious mansion-style resort with an unbelievable beach-front location. Offering the epitome of Southern charm; classic rooms, suites & grand public areas feel glossy & elegant. Dining & shopping options are endless & there are world-class golf & tennis facilities. Five-star family holiday haven. See More
The Dewberry Charleston 155 rooms from £233City Style - An elegant property complete with French-style brasserie and two cocktail bars.Sights nearby - Visit the eccentric stately home, the Calhoun Mansion.Full of characterRomantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Tablet
A beautifully designed hotel set in an historic building. Perfectly mixing contemporary style and traditional charm rooms are chic and homely. A fabulous French brasserie and two bars set the scene for elegant evenings of cocktails and oysters. A glorious hotel that encapsulates that Southern charm. See More
Zero George Street Charleston (South Carolina) 18 rooms from £226Foodies - The Zero Cafe has earned glowing reviews for its locally sourced and seasonal cuisineTraditional - The hotel features many original features including heart pine floors and high ceilings.Cooking classes - Every Monday and Saturday classes are held in the Kitchen Carriage HouseSights nearby - Middleton Place: a National Historic LandmarkRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
A boutique hotel set in three early 19th century townhouses with unique Southern charm, full of character. Exceptional food, great details, close to the historic centre. See More
Anchorage 1770 Beaufort 15 rooms from £215Romantic Break - Fine dining, quiet verandahs, and rooms with four-posters and free-standing baths all add up to a romantic stayTotal relaxation - Adult-only, serene, and completely picturesque. Spend days on the water or simply unwind in beautiful surroundsRestaurant - Experience Lowcountry cooking at the hotel's fine dining restaurant Ribaut Social ClubSailing - Discover undeveloped, pristine barrier islands on a boat cruise
A beautiful historic Tabby house turned into a chic boutique hotel. Grand rooms are individually styled but each has luxury touches whether it's a four-poster, an in-room free-standing tub, or bay windows. The fine-dining restaurant is a lure in itself. Adult-only and undeniably romantic. See More
20 South Battery Charleston (Historic District) 11 rooms from £241Local exploring - South Battery is a sought out location due to its sea views, waterfront promenade and proximity to the heart of townCity Style - Manages to combine the grandeur of Charleston's past with luxury amenities firmly in the presentSights nearby - The heart of Charleston's historic district and all major sites are within walking distanceGreat walks - The property is located just across from White Point Gardens
Historic private mansion transformed into luxury B&B. Meticulously restored to its former glory, rooms are decorated with grand four-poster beds, impressive antiques and period artwork. Expect high-end bedding, deluxe bath products, smart TVs and homely touches. Intimate feel with an ideal location. See More
Emeline Charleston (Historic District) 212 rooms from £265City Style - It's rare to find such a jewel of a hotel; a mix of history, character, soul & style - with all the modern touches guests expectRomantic Break - A buzzing boutique option for a memorable weekend; eat & sleep well in carefully curated surroundings with magic atmosphereLocal exploring - The Charleston's historic quarter location means sites, museums, monuments - plus shopping & dining - are on the doorstepGreat walks - Walk across 10 acres in Charleston Waterfront Park, with it's prime location overlooking Charleston Harbor and the Cooper River
Brimming with playful charm, this beautifully converted historic hotel offers stylish rooms, lively dining options & a vibey courtyard terrace. Rooms have thoughtful amenities, embroidered linens, mid-century furniture & velvet headboards. A perfect boutique property in the heart of the action. See More
The Willcox Aiken, South Carolina 22 rooms from £148Great walks - Explore Hitchcock Woods - the largest urban woods in America with just under 2,000 acres of land.Sights nearby - A former winter colonial mansion turned into Aiken County Historical Museum.Fishing - Picnics or fishing in the Aiken State Park is a fantastic day trip.Romantic - Good for couples.
Grand, graceful 19th Century mansion turned boutique hotel. Fine southern hospitality, classic interiors & prime location close to world renowned golf courses & all the outdoor activities you can think of. Highly regarded restaurant serves local cuisine. Relax at the spa and plan your return trip! See More