Search the best hotels in Saba
Part of the striking Caribbean Netherlands in the Lesser Antilles, tiny Saba is verdant and hilly. Whilst many of its neighbours are low-lying coral atolls prized for their picturesque beaches, Saba is unusual in having very few sandy stretches. Instead, this craggy volcanic island boasts superb mountain hikes, lush jungles and spectacular diving spots teeming with marine life. Accommodation options tend to be small and intimate, with everything from self-catering cottages to a gorgeous 12-suite resort. Our pick of the best places to stay in Saba promise characterful hideaways for couples, families and small groups of active travellers on this appealingly eccentric island.
Base yourself in the charming town of Windwardside for streets lined with red-and-white cottages, independent cafés, shops and museums. Discover the island’s colonial history at the Dutch Museum Saba, or step further back in time at the Harry L. Johnson Museum, which showcases evidence of Saba’s original Amerindian settlements in a sea captain’s cottage. The towns of The Bottom, Hell’s Gate and St Johns are also wonderful for a wander.
Saba’s biggest draw, however, is its natural beauty. Known as the ‘Unspoiled Queen’, the island is an adventurer’s paradise. Wind your way through cloud-forests filled with plant and birdlife, clamber up the 1064 steps to the top of Mount Scenery — Saba’s highest peak — or follow cliffside hiking trails for panoramic sea views. Saba’s friendly dive shops are perfect for snorkelling or scuba diving trips with sharks, turtles and tropical fish darting between colourful corals. There are also opportunities to try sailing and kayaking, or to take fun family boat trips.
The best places to stay in Saba can fill up fast due to their small size — book your trip well in advance to avoid missing out!
The Best Places to Stay in Saba
For Families or Groups
Juliana's Hotel offers rooms, suites and self-catering cottages ideal for couples, families or groups of friends. Think wooden floorboards, whitewashed walls and panoramic views of verdant gardens or the sea. Savour fresh seafood and cocktails on the terrace at Tropics Café, ramble through the forest and get creative in the wonderfully-equipped artists' studio. The location is perfect for exploring Windwardside and rates are very reasonable.
The Cottage Club features ten traditional-style Saban cottages on the edge of Windwardside. Pick this place for laid-back charm, a sea-facing swimming pool, and plenty of space for the whole family. Family-friendly and good value.
For an Intimate Hideaway
- Selera Dunia boasts two spacious suites, brimming with antique pieces gathered by the owners on trips across the world. Quirky and romantic, this spot promises amazing views from its location on the eastern side of Windwardside and a low-key, intimate vibe. The team are full of top-notch local recommendations.
For 5 Star Luxury
- Queen's Gardens Resort is a gorgeous 5-star hillside hideaway, featuring 12 spacious suites with elegant antique furnishings, some with private hot tubs, and all with beautiful views over the lush hills and the ocean beyond. Stay here for the superb Frangipani Spa and the gourmet cuisine, as well as the excellent outdoor activities — including hiking and diving. A romantic honeymoon escape.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Juancho E. Yrausquin Airport, near Saba's north-eastern tip, or fly to Sint Maarten and travel to Saba by ferry — the journey takes about 90 minutes. Once on the island, you can easily journey to your hotel or apartment by taxi, and most hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pickup with a reliable driver.
- Alternatively, contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Saba is an excellent year-round destination, with temperatures averaging between 24 - 30°C. June to September are the rainiest months, but you can still expect plenty of sunshine and some of the year's warmest weather. There is a higher risk of hurricanes between September and November.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Bonaire.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the Caribbean Netherlands.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Saba
Best Hotels in Saba
The Cottage Club Saba 10 rooms from AU$191Views - Excellent views out to sea and over the surf.Diving - Saba has world class scuba diving.Value chicSwimming Pool - Outdoor pool with wonderful sea views.Recommended by - Fodors
A cute island hide-away with self-catering bungalows, fabulous sea views, and excellent rates. Set on a hill amidst tropical greenery simple all white suites with four poster beds, balconies, and kitchenettes. Pool, concierge, access to watersports and wildlife. Good value and family friendly. See More
Selera Dunia Saba 2 rooms from AU$198Views - Great views from hotelRomantic BreakSecluded setting - Perched up in the hills in a very tranquil setting.Boutique - Objects from Africa, Asia, Morocco, and Colombia.Recommended by - Fodors
An intimate little spot with just two boutique suites. Stylish and elegant with objects from around the world, four poster beds, large balconies and hammocks. Total peace, quiet and tranquility in the hills above Windwardside. Lots of nature and coastal routes to explore. Romantic, good value. See More
Juliana’s Saba 9 rooms from AU$242Views - Great views from hotelValue chicRestaurant - Tropic's Cafe has stunning views out to sea from its terrace.Back to Nature - Saba offers many nature trails across the island.Recommended by - Fodors
A collection of rooms, cottages, and an apartment (sleeps 4) in the town centre. All accommodations have wifi and hammocks with sweeping views over tropical flora and out to sea, some have kitchenettes. Tropic's Cafe and terrace has a privileged location. Excellent value, family friendly. See More
Queen’s Gardens Resort Saba 12 rooms from AU$377Families - The private villa at the top of the hill sleeps 6 and has its own private pool and facilities.Views - Great views from hotel5* Luxury - Very high service standards.HoneymoonsRecommended by - Fodors
An utterly dreamy Five Star hotel perched on Mount Troy surrounded by tropical paradise. Suites and one six-person villa all in chic creams and whites with private balconies, some a private pool, and stunning views. Beauty therapies, massages, excellent international cuisine. Truly luxurious. See More