Search the best hotels in Sint Maarten
About Sint Maarten
The southern half of the small Caribbean island of St Martin, pint-sized Sint Maarten has a fascinating Dutch heritage, a plethora of top-notch boutiques and lively eateries, and some splendid beaches. Accommodation options range from intimate inns to expansive luxury resorts, fit for a range of tastes and budgets. Many of the best places to stay in Sint Maarten are set close to historic Philipsburg — the nation’s capital — or in Simpson Bay, the main tourist hub.
Measuring just 16.5 square miles, Sint Maarten is easily explored by road. This part of the island remains within the Kingdom of the Netherlands, and the fusion of Dutch, Caribbean and African heritage is very intriguing. Sint Maarten’s cultural highlights include Philipsburg’s charming architecture, the ruins of 400-year-old Fort Amsterdam, and the verdant Emilio Wilson Estate. There are gorgeous hikes in the Fort and Estate areas, as well as at 135-acre Loterie Farm, a nature sanctuary and adventure haven on the French side of the island. Try zip-lining between the trees, take birdwatching tours on foot, or splash around in the sparkling sea waters after sailing, water-skiing or snorkelling excursions.
Head west to Simpson Bay for a buzzing evening scene, with casinos, swish waterfront restaurants and fun bars. Whilst the cruise ships dock close to Philipsburg, this part of the island has excellent marinas for smaller vessels. Nearby Cupecoy Beach is a favourite of surfers and sunbathers — this is a top spot to catch the sunset, too!
Don’t forget to visit French Saint Martin, to the north. Again, you can expect marvellous beaches, heritage monuments and more. This busy little land mass is famous for its gorgeous sands and clear waters, so book your trip well in advance if travelling during peak season — the best places to stay in Sint Maarten fill up fast!
The Best Places to Stay in Sint Maarten
For 5 Star Luxury
- Coral Beach Club is an indulgent, all-villa resort on the island's east coast. Expect cool, contemporary interiors, space for families or groups, and private pools overlooking the ocean. The chic beach club is a stand-out, as are the seafood eatery and the watersports facilities. A 5 star treat.
For Grown Ups
- Sonesta Ocean Point Resort offers an adults-only, all-inclusive beach stay in Simpson Bay. Pick this place for the extensive resort facilities — including three pools, a spa, watersports and three restaurants — as well as the lively party feel. Also a romantic honeymoon choice.
- Holland House is a chic historic hotel set right on the beach in Philipsburg. Some rooms and suites have space for families, but the vibe is more swish and grown up. Highlights include the ocean lounge and the superb gourmet restaurant, which has a famously good wine list. For foodies and sociable travellers keen to explore the city and the beach.
For Families or Groups
- Divi Little Bay Beach Resort is a large seaside property on its own peninsula. With three restaurants, a soothing spa, three swimming pools — one just for kids — and a gorgeous stretch of beach, this is an idyllic family holiday choice.
- La Vista Beach Resort promises a quaint beach base in Pelican Key. The 18 studios and two-bedroom apartments are ideal for families or groups who can book multiple apartments, and the vibe is intimate and laid-back. There's an onsite swimming pool, as well as plenty to do in the area.
- Oyster Bay Beach Resort sits close to the eastern border between the Dutch and French sides of the island. Book a suite or studio — some of which have fully-equipped kitchens and balconies with BBQs — and enjoy access to myriad resort-style facilities for guests of all ages. A large, lively resort with an onsite nightclub.
For Great Value
- Mary's Boon has been a popular Sint Maarten hideaway since the 1970s. Cosy suites and studios offer self-catering options suitable for those on a budget, whilst the Simpson Bay setting ensures a great choice of nearby restaurants. Plus, you're steps from the sand!
- The Pasanggrahan Hotel is a cheerful Philipsburg guesthouse with attractive heritage interiors. Larger rooms and suites offer plenty of space for families. The oldest hotel on the island, it's right on the beach, very affordable and a brilliant choice for history buffs. Charming.
- The Horny Toad features just eight simple apartments on picturesque Simpson Bay Beach. A great value property in a striking location, close to bars, eateries and activities aplenty. The daily happy hour is a fun way to mingle with fellow guests. Intimate and family-run.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR VILLA
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly into Princess Juliana Airport and travel to your hotel by bus or taxi. Most hotels will be happy to arrange an airport pick up in advance.
- You'll find lots to explore by road on both the French and Dutch sides of the island! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Balmy temperatures average between 25 - 28°C throughout the year, with the peak season lasting from December to mid-April. Be prepared for showers if you visit during the rainy hurricane season (June to November). To beat the crowds and make the most of great deals, time your trip for May or June, before the rains begin to fall in earnest.
- Note that much of the island sustained damage by Hurricane Irma in September 2017, and recovery in ongoing.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Saint Martin, on the other half of the island.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Anguilla, to the north.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Sint Maarten
Best Hotels in Sint Maarten
Pasanggrahan Hotel Philipsburg, St Martin 35 rooms from £78Families - The penthouse has three bedrooms and a panoramic view from the rooftop.Fishing - The hotel provides deep sea fishing escapades.Value chicViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Frommers
A cheerful and historical guesthouse directly on the beachfront makes an ideal spot for a family, groups of friends, or those on a budget. A range of rooms, suites, and a penthouse (3 bedrooms) have kitchens, balconies, and panoramic views. Steak and seafood restaurant and fishing trips. See More
Horny Toad St Martin 8 rooms from £101Quirky - A small, unpretentious spot with an excellent reputation.Value chic - Superb value for moneySeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Recommended by - Fodors
A small unpretentious collection of apartments directly on the beach. Each unit has its own kitchen, living area, and you can walk directly out of your door onto the beach. No eating options available, but ideal for a couple or family who want to do their own thing. Excellent value. See More
Mary's Boon St Martin 36 rooms from £121Value chicOn the beach - Simpson Bay.TraditionalViews - Great views from hotel
A very good beach option for those who enjoy sophisticated interiors. Rooms and suites are boutique with four poster beds, colourful walls, and patios facing the sea. Swimming pool, excellent restaurant & small spa. Direct access to the beach. Ideal for couples and families. Superb value for money. See More
Holland House Philipsburg, St Martin 55 rooms from £133Views - Fabulous bay views.Beach LifeSights nearby - Cyrus Wathey Square, Philipsburg Courthouse, and Yoda Guy Movie Exhibit.Restaurant - Ocean front restaurant serving European and Caribbean dishes.
A lively spot with great amenities and stunning views over the bay below. Contemporary chic rooms have all the mod cons and in-room massages. Large wine cellar, pool, bar and restaurant, and easy walking distance to the town's main attractions. A good choice for a family. See More
Oyster Bay Beach Resort St Martin 190 rooms from £152Beach LifeRomantic BreakViews - Great views from hotelLively - Beau Beau is a lively night spot at the hotel.Recommended by - Fodors
Divi Little Bay Beach resort St Martin 265 rooms from £168Outstanding location - Set on a peninsula of its own with unrivalled beach access and seaviews.Beach Life - Swimming pools, beaches, and ocean views.WindsurfingViews - Great views from hotelRecommended by - Fodors
A large and attractive beach hotel with all the amenities on a pretty peninsula; ideal for families and beach goers. Contemporary chic rooms, suites, and family rooms in creams and pastels, three pools (one for kids), three restaurants, a spa, and easy access to the beach. See More
La Vista Beach Resort Simpson Bay, St Martin 18 rooms from £176Views - Fantastic seaviews from all angles.On the beach - Overlooks the crystal waters of Lay Bay.Sailing - Can be booked nearby.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A good value beach resort for those on a budget. A collection of studio and two-room apartments have kitchens, balconies, and sea views. A short walk directly onto the beach or to the large swimming pool. Close to all the restaurants and activities around. An ideal base for families or couples. See More
Sonesta Ocean Point Resort Maho Reef, Sint Maarten 130 rooms from £203Honeymoons - Spoiling honeymoon packages include stay in Sunset Butler Suite, champagne on arrival, couples massage & private romantic dinnerSwimming Pool - Swim in three amazing pools: cliffside man-made 'beach' Edge Pool, Point Pool with cabanas & semi-private swim-out room poolsRomantic Break - Adult-only, cliff-top dining, outdoor tubs and indulging spa treatments make this perfect for couple's holidaysBusiness meetings - The largest meeting and convention space on Sint Maarten can host events for up to 700 people
Modern adult-only all-inclusive property set within a larger luxury beachfront resort. Designed for spoiling vacations, enjoy sea-facing pools, outdoor dining, alfresco spa treatments & balconies with sunset views - there's no reason to leave the resort. Fab for those after competitive packages. See More
Coral Beach Club Dawn Beach, Sint Maarten 21 rooms from £515Private villas - Certain 3 and 4 bedroom villas are located on the beachfront while 2 - 3 bedroom options overlook it. Marina Lofts face the pondFamilies - The entire family can relax in private setting with multiple bedrooms, babysitting, maid service, chefs & children's activitiesViews - On the sunrise side of the island, views over the Atlantic Ocean and palm-fringed white sand beach take some beatingBeach Life - Nestled between Oyster Pond and Dawn Beach, Coral Beach Club offers pristine and secluded white sand beach paradise
Five-star all-villa beach resort situated between the Atlantic Ocean and Oyster Pond. Contemporary self-catered units with a range of bedrooms all come with private pools and sea-facing terraces. In addition to a deluxe beach club, enjoy seafood restaurant and watersports. Ideal for family breaks. See More