Search the best hotels in Brighton
Brighton is a great weekend destination for fun-seekers and lovers of the British seaside, however for a place of its cool-credentials, size and popularity it has a limited number of really great accommodation options. But our selection of the best places to stay in Brighton should have something for even the pickiest, from luxury seafront boutique hotels to charming town house properties a stone's throw from the beach.
Buzzy, colourful and packed with independent shops, cafes, bars and restaurants, Brighton has also got a traditional old pier, a pebbly seafront, the beautiful Royal Pavilion, an aquarium, plus the new addition: the i360 Tower, a moving lookout pod brought to you by the people behind the London Eye.
Home to a great many creative ex-Londoners and a healthy gay population - don't be surprised to see club-wear or drag in the supermarket - Brighton benefits from a bohemian vibe, a thriving arts community and comfortable pockets. The Brighton Festival in May is the second largest arts festival in Great Britain, and Brighton Pride certainly rivals London for the biggest celebration. And the best places to stay in Brighton reflect this. Meaning you might be wise to expect London prices and hope to be pleasantly surprised.
What not to Miss
- The Royal Pavilion, a 19th century party palace built by the Prince Regent and its gardens,
- the pier,
- The Lanes,
- the Brighton Museum and Art gallery,
- the i360,
- the SEALife aquarium and the marina.
Here, we pick out the best places to stay in Brighton and ignore the rest!
The Best Places to Stay in Brighton
For seafront location
- The Grand Hotel, Brighton is a glorious Victorian hotel right on the Brighton’s front. There are 200-odd elegant rooms and suites over seven floors - some with amazing views. Everything is luxurious, from the spa to the piano bar to the afternoon tea.
- Probably the second best-known hotel in Brighton on our list is drakes. Occupying a great position overlooking the pier this boutique property has a 24 hour bar, decent restaurant and freestanding baths in some rooms, which are well-designed with huge beds.
- The Charm is a luxurious, tastefully decorated hotel in Kemptown with tasteful art and nice detailing. You’re close to Brighton’s top nightspots, but also The Lanes and the beach.
- A Room with a View is a contemporary B&B with views of the seafront. There are nine rooms, decorated in neutral and cream shades, and a charming breakfast area and lounge.
B&Bs and Guesthouses
- Una is a B&B with 19 rooms all named after rivers. It serves excellent breakfasts and there's a bar where you can plan or reflect on dinner.
- One Broad Street is another great B&B with all white rooms and bright splashes of colour, excellent breakfasts and a great location about five minutes from the beach and The Lanes.
For the unusual
- The town's original boutique hotel, Blanch House, also in Kemp Town has individually designed rooms including the Snowstorm, which houses a collection of snow globes. Home made biscuits on arrival are a popular touch.
- If you’re looking for a lively mini-break, Brighton is always a good choice, and the Artist Residence Brighton, is an arty, centrally located place to stay with great views and a cool cocktail bar. The 23 rooms and suites have been individually decorated and you’re close to the beach and everything else in Brighton.
- The feng shui aware Myhotel is decked out with karmic artwork and futuristic furniture and has an informal deli which serves richly delicious ice cream as well as a pleasant restaurant.
- The Hotel du Vin in Brighton is as dependable here as its sister establishments all over the UK. There is a wine bar and brasserie and the loft suites have telescopes.
- For a similar room rate you could also try Twenty Seven, a five room B&B just minutes from the seafront. Comfortable and modern.
For a holiday cottage or self-catering apartment
- If you think that self catering is a better option for you, then check out the wide range with our online partner Booking.com.
- Gatwick Airport is your closest international airport, but Heathrow is quite convenient as well. Brighton has its own airport, which used to be called Shoreham Airport, which is connected to other UK destinations. Brighton also has great train links from London and the rest of the UK, and you can arrive in East Sussex by sea, docking at Newhaven (just 9 miles east of Brighton) - the ferries here cross from Dieppe, France.
- If you want to hire a car - which we highly recommend if you’re staying in Brighton and want to see more of East Sussex - we recommend you visit our online partner, Rentalcars.
- This is the UK, so expect changeable weather whatever the season. Brighton is popular in summer, of course, when the average maximum temperatures are around 20°C. But it’s also beautiful in spring and autumn - if you don’t mind a chill and a bit of a shower or two. Winter is wonderful if you like things to be ‘bracing’.
Still not sure which is the best place to stay in Brighton for you?
- Browse our list of all the best places to stay in Brighton?
- Expand your search to the best places to stay in East Sussex,
- try the best places to stay in Hastings?
- consider chosing from our recommendations for 10 of the Most Romantic Hotels in East Sussex?
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Brighton
Best Hotels in Brighton
The Oriental Brighton 9 rooms from AU$131Local exploring - Well positioned on a pretty street near the sea with the bustling city centre just a 10 minute walk awayValue chic - With rooms starting well below £100 in the low season, this is a very reasonably priced hotelLocal markets - Head to the Lanes and North Laine area for quirky boutique stores that are synonymous with BrightonSights nearby - For a classic Brighton experience a trip to Brighton Pier and the Royal Pavilion are a must
A quirky small B&B located a stone's throw from the coast. A handful of rooms are all individually styled but each has Regency windows, whitewashed walls, pops of colour, and retro furniture. Breakfasts are served in a kitsch dining room and there's a bar too. A laidback & affordable stay. See More
The Charm Brighton 25 rooms from AU$169City Style - An understated and elegant hotel situated in Brighton's fashionable Kempton, perfect for exploring the trendy seaside city.Great walks - Make the most of the great walks in the nearby Seven Sisters Country Park.Sights nearby - Five minutes walk from both Brighton Pier and The Royal Pavilion.Remote - Off the beaten track.
Brighton Harbour Hotel Brighton 79 rooms from AU$178Sights nearby - Brighton Harbour Hotel is ideally located to go see the Sea Life Aquarium and BA’s i360 TowerGreat walks - Spend an hour or two wandering around Stanwer Park Woodland GardenSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.SpaRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Michelin Travel
A new addition to the Harbour Hotels stable, Brighton’s Georgian seafront version offers relaxed contemporary living for couples and families (with older children) seeking a central location with ocean views, delicious food and pampering spa - all within strolling distance of local amenities. See More
Artist Residence Brighton Brighton (East Sussex) 25 rooms from AU$178Close to nightlife - Explore everything this eclectic city has to offer.Great walks - A stones throw from the beach frontSights nearby - Walking distance to Brighton PierOther Activities - Visit The Theatre RoyalRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays
This arty 25 bedroom hotel, cocktail bar and restaurant is centrally located in Regency Square, with sea views over the iconic West Pier. Cool, contemporary decor in the middle of Brighton with lots of galleries and good restaurants just minutes away. Really great for weekend group getaways. See More
27 Brighton Brighton 5 rooms from AU$188Sights nearby - Brighton Pier and the Royal PavilionValue chicClose to nightlifeRestrictions on children - No children under 16
Stylish and sophisticated B&B just minutes from both seafront and city centre. Feel at home with large double beds, crisp Egyptian cotton, fluffy bathrobes and free WiFi. The perfect base for exploring everything this eclectic city has to offer and close to the vibrant nightlife. See More
The Ginger Pig Brighton (East Sussex) 11 rooms from AU$188Foodies - Hosting a highly acclaimed restaurant serving top-notch gastropub grub.Sights nearby - Take a tour of the unusual Royal Pavillion in Brighton.Great walks - Take long walks along the coastal promenade.Restaurant - Recommended.
Don't let the 'pub with rooms' title put you off, this is a seriously chic spot. Smart rooms mix traditional and modern styles with steel grey walls contrasting against the light parquet floors. The bathrooms are uber luxurious and the restaurant and bar serve exemplary food and cocktails. See More
Snooze Brighton 8 rooms from AU$192Local exploring - Well positioned in upmarket Kemptown with the coast, Brighton Pier, and Laines shopping area all within walking distanceBoutique - A vibrant boutique hotel packed with colour and character - a unique staySights nearby - Visit the Royal Pavilion and Brighton Pier - both walking distance from the hotelQuirky - An experience!
A bright & vibrant boutique hotel well located in upmarket Kemptown. Rooms & suites are packed full of character with bold colours, reclaimed furniture, & kitsch canvases. Hearty breakfasts are served in an equally boldly designed breakfast room. Well positioned, well priced, and completely unique. See More
Sea Spray Brighton (Kemptown) 15 rooms from AU$192Value chic - With chic design and a desirable Kemp Town postcode, this is a good option for an affordable city breakFamilies - Family suites and a laidback feel make this a good option for familiesSights nearby - Iconic attractions such as Brighton Pier and the Royal Pavilion are easily accessibleSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A small hotel with chic design in Brighton's desirable Kemp Town. Eclectic rooms all boast top notch mattresses and luxury linens as standard. Breakfasts are served and dinners can be arranged in collaboration with a nearby restaurant. An affordable yet stylish base for a city break. See More
A room with a view Brighton 9 rooms from AU$195Romantic Break - Enjoy stunning views of Brighton Pier, excellent walkable restaurants, wandering through the lanes and the peace inside hotelLocal markets - Food and clothing markets through Brighton LanesSights nearby - Brighton Pavilion and PierGreat walks - Along Brighton seafront
Blanch House Brighton 12 rooms from AU$205Quirky - Individually designed bedrooms - all with a different theme.Downtown - A short walk from both the centre of town and seafront.Bar - Champagne, wine and cocktail bar.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.
Malmaison, Brighton Brighton Marina Village 73 rooms from AU$235City Style - A contemporary spot with a lively feel - ideal for the young and hipLocal markets - Discover Brighton's quirky independent shops and bustling marketsViews - Sea viewsSeaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A contemporary hotel set in Brighton's equally modern marina. Malmaison, Brighton is undeniably cool with bold patterns, sharp lines and plenty of glass offering wonderful sea views. Nice touches in the room include fine cotton sheets, Lavazza coffee-makers and minimalist bathrooms. A smart choice. See More
The Grand Hotel, Brighton Brighton (East Sussex) 201 rooms from AU$242Close to nightlifeSpa - Wide range of ESPA treatments for men and women.Restaurant - GB1 Seafood restaurant holds 2 AA Rosettes.Great walks - Stroll the promenade, pier and beach
A glorious Victorian hotel with sea views, traditionally elegant bedrooms and deluxe suites over 7 floors. Brighton's original "grand dame" offers an exceptional culinary experience with locally sourced ingredients and luxury spa. A perfect venue for weddings, conferences or a short seaside break. See More
The Square Brighton 10 rooms from AU$254Local exploring - Perfectly located within walking distance to the beach and most of Brighton's main attractions.Sights nearby - Visit the wonderfully out of place Indian Royal Pavillion.Restrictions on children - Adult onlyBoutique
A chic boutique property located in the heart of Brighton. Individually styled rooms are elegant and contemporary with chandeliers, plush leather headboards and indulgent bathrooms. Fantastic breakfasts are served and you'll find yourself just a short stroll from the city's major attractions. See More
The Claremont, Brighton Brighton (East Sussex) 11 rooms from AU$263Local exploring - Boasting a quiet location but Brighton is within easy reach.Sights nearby - Head into Brighton and visit the Royal Pavillion and the famed pier.Great walks - Take a coastal walk along the promenade.Full of character
A traditional hotel located in Brighton's quieter neighbour, Hove. Spacious rooms are individually styled with chintz fabrics, patterned wallpaper and the best have large four posters. A large garden offers the opportunity to catch some rays in the summer and the sea is just a short walk away. See More
Paskins Brighton 19 rooms from AU$263Eco break - The B&B has long been renowned for its eco credentials with genuine care taken over sourcing food and bath productsLocal exploring - Well positioned on pretty Charlotte Street in Kemptown with the pier and many of Brighton's attractions nearbySights nearby - Make a stop by the impressive Royal Pavilion and stroll around the Pavilion GardensGreat walks - The hosts will happily recommend scenic coastal hiking routes
A quirky B&B with warm hosts and a sought-after position in Kemptown. Each individually styled room has its own charm but all have an Art Deco feel and a collection of antiques and vintage finds. The hosts take great care in sourcing produce for breakfast. A laidback, central stay. See More
Myhotel Brighton 80 rooms from AU$293City Style - Ultra hip hotel in the trendy North Laine area mixes the ancient principles of Feng Shui with cutting edge modern design.Great walks - A ten minute walk brings you to Brighton beach, perfect for an evening stroll to the famed pier.Sights nearby - Close to both Brighton Pavilion and The Dome, two of the towns main sights.Designer - Vibrant designs following Feng Shui principlesRecommended by - Michelin Travel
drakes Brighton 20 rooms from AU$321Romantic Break - Start with cocktails in the hip bar, a mouthwatering meal, a stroll along the pier and then back to your sumptuous handmade bed!City Style - Brighton's most happening hotel, interiors ooze style and confident elegance not to mention the unbeatable location and views.Great walks - Watch the sunset whilst strolling along Brighton Beach, or head down to the pier for a piece of Brighton Rock.Sights nearby - In prime location just down the road from the Brighton Pier, the big wheel and the Royal Pavilion.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection, Sawdays, Michelin Travel
Seafront boutique hotel with impressive sea and city views. Luxurious large light rooms all individually designed, some with window side free standing baths. A 24-hour bar will keep party seekers occupied. The modern European restaurant has been highly accoladed. Ideal for a stylish city stay. See More
Una Brighton 19 rooms from AU$366Value chic - Great value central hotel, right on the beach with designer furnishings, gourmet breakfasts and plenty of charm.Great walks - Just off the shoreline, this hotel is ideally placed for those romantic strolls along Brighton beach.Sights nearby - Visit the nearby Royal Pavillion, or take a turn around Regency Square.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
Hotel du Vin Brighton Brighton 49 rooms from AU$468City Style - Gothic revival and mock Tudor buildings, with funky chic interiors and only five minutes from Brighton's hopping beachfront.Foodies - Sample wines from around the world at Laroche tasting room and Bistro du vin serves local produce cooked to perfection.Sights nearby - Visit the Sea Life Centre and Royal Pavillion, just a few minutes down the road.Great walks - Stroll along Brighton beach, or down to the lively pier.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel
Breezy seaside feel to this stylish edition of the ever dependable boutique chain. Smart rooms with feature wallpaper, large modern bathrooms, some with in room free standing baths. Lucky rooms have sea views. A pub style brasserie with french cuisine. A comfortable choice in a lively city. See More