- ✓ Book Online Now
- ✓ Save time, save money
The Most Romantic Hotels in East Sussex
One of the greenest and least spoilt of England's counties, East Sussex has those striking white cliffs, lush fields, the rolling hills and bluebell woods of the Weald, a wealth of historic treasures, including Hastings and Battle, charming market towns, bubbly Brighton and picturesque Rye, plus castles, galleries and boutiques aplenty. So whatever your loved one’s taste you’re sure to find something to fall in love with on our Guru’s list of the most romantic hotels in East Sussex.
They recommend a luxury, listed B&B near Glyndebourne, a windmill in Rye, a Tudor coaching inn and several Grand Hotels. They also have some great picks for the most romantic hotels in East Sussex for under a hundred pounds a night. Read on and start to plan your romantic treat...
The Most Romantic Hotels in East Sussex
For a Country House Hotel
- Buxted Park Hotel is a Palladian mansion turned 44 room country house hotel close to Uckfield, Wakehurst Place and Hever Castle. The modern, British restaurant has 2 AA Rosettes, and offers cookery classes, and the hotel is set amidst three hundred acres of stunning grounds, which includes three lakes, a deer park and a walled garden.
- Ashdown Park Hotel is a country house hotel with excellent facilities for the whole family. The hotel has direct access to Ashdown Forest, with acres of parkland, plus a golf course, tennis courts, an award-winning restaurant with first views and a beautiful spa.
Special Places to Stay
- Jeake’s House is a quirky, old fashioned and slightly theatrical B&B in the centre of characterful Rye. The 11 bedrooms and public spaces have some great antiques, including beautiful four-poster beds, and they do a truly epic breakfast.
- The Rye Windmill B&B has been converted from a Grade II listed windmill. Importantly, only two of the ten rooms are in the windmill itself, and these are the ones to book. You’re right next to the river and within a short walking distance of Rye. The decor is simple and the breakfasts generous.
- The Mermaid Inn is an historic inn in the centre of Rye, dating back to the 13th century. There are 31 rooms, oozing with charm and original features: think carved four-poster beds, sloping, beamed ceilings and a vast fireplace in the bar. The restaurant has 2 AA Rosettes.
- The Grand Hotel, Brighton is a glorious Victorian hotel right on the Brighton’s front. There are 200-odd elegant rooms and suites over seven floors - some with amazing views. Everything is luxurious, from the spa to the piano bar to the afternoon tea.
Romantic Hotels with Hot Tubs
- The Grand Hotel in Eastbourne is a top contender if your idea of a romantic getaway includes time spent in a luxurious spa. There are also indoor and outdoor pools, an award-winning restaurant, a putting green and a children’s playroom. Pets are welcome too. The Victorian stucco exterior and five stars help make for a memorable stay.
- The Zanzibar International Hotel in St. Leonards on Sea, is a stylish, modern refuge right on the seafront. There are just eight rooms, impeccably, and individually, decorated in whites and nudes - some with double spa baths, a great seafood restaurant and complimentary champagne.
If you like the sound of those hotels, check out our Guru’s recommendations for all the best hotels with hot tubs in East Sussex.
For a boutique B&B
- The Old Rectory, Hastings is a great choice for walkers and history buffs. The eight elegant rooms are in an 18th century building, complete with sitting rooms and beautiful gardens. The fresh cooked breakfasts include locally caught fish.
Great Value Romantic Hotels
- For under a hundred pounds a night you and your loved one can stay at Old Whyly, a listed manor house set amongst charming gardens. There are just three bedrooms, decorated with some beautiful antiques, plus an outdoor pool. Well located for Glyndebourne, there’s also a heated pool and tennis courts.
- Another romantic option for under a hundred pounds a night is Pelham Hall, a gorgeous little B&B in picturesque Burwash in the High Weald Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. There are just three elegant bedrooms, decorated with plenty of character, plus a fantastic breakfast. You’re well positioned for National Trust properties, local market towns and beautiful scenery.
- If you’re looking for a lively mini-break, Brighton is always a good choice, and the Artist Residence Brighton, is an arty, centrally located place to stay with great views and a cool cocktail bar. The 23 rooms and suites have been individually decorated and you’re close to the beach and everything else in Brighton.
If you haven’t found your idea of the most romantic hotels in East Sussex on our Guru’s list you could:
- Consult our Ultimate Guide to the Most Romantic Hotels in the UK,
- browse through our list of all the best places to stay in East Sussex,
- or our Guru’s collection of the best hotels with hot tubs in East Sussex,
- or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
The Most Romantic Hotels in East Sussex
Buxted Park Hotel 44 rooms from £95Buxted, East Sussex
Palladian mansion, now a luxury country house hotel close to Uckfield. Ideal for a relaxing country getaway and close to sights such as Hever Castle and Wakehurst Gardens. 2 AA Rosette standard modern British cuisine and cookery classes too.Sights nearby - Close to Ashdown Forest and the famous Winnie the Pooh bridge, Hever Castle and Wakehurst GardensCooking classes - Check for timings.Great walks - Good for walkers.Traditional
The Old Rectory, Hastings 8 rooms from £100Hastings
Elegant guest rooms provided in an eighteenth-century building. Guests can enjoy sitting rooms, beautiful gardens and the nearby town of Hastings. Freshly cooked breakfasts on offer, including locally caught fish and free-range eggs.Restrictions on children - Children from 10 and up onlyGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Jeake's House 11 rooms from £120Rye
An old favourite; quirky, old-fashioned and slightly theatrical B&B bang in the centre of Rye. Full of character, in a wonderful town for weekending.Sights nearby - Situated bang in the centre of town.Full of characterFour poster beds - For romantics.TraditionalRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
The Grand Hotel, East Sussex 152 rooms from £199Eastbourne, East Sussex
Eastbourne's 'White Palace' - a luxurious English seaside hotel. A host of facilities - spa, indoor and outdoor pools, award-winning restaurant, children's playroom.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Kids Club - Fully staffed.Traditional5* Luxury - Very high service standards.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel
Zanzibar International Hotel 8 rooms from £115St Leonards on Sea, East Sussex
Contemporary and stylish romantic refuge on the seafront. Impeccably decorated in whites and nudes, large light rooms, sea views. Fish restaurant.Restrictions on children - No children under 5 years.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Michelin Travel
Old Whyly 3 rooms from £98Lewes, East Sussex
Listed manor house set in beautiful gardens with heated pool and tennis court. Luxury B & B with antiques and a house party feel. Dinners can be arranged. Good base for Glyndebourne.Garden - Attractive outside space.Swimming Pool - Outdoor PoolGreat walks - Good for walkers.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Pelham Hall 3 rooms from £90Burwash, East Sussex
A gorgeous little B&B in picturesque Burwash. Elegant romantic bedrooms impeccably decorated with lots of character. Fantastic breakfasts, friendly hosts, and plenty of local exploring. Perfect for a romantic getaway.Sights nearby - East Sussex boasts National Trust properties, world-famous gardens, important historic monuments from the Norman Conquest.Local markets - Rhye, Lewes, Tunbridge Wells nearby for antique shopping.Great walks - Along the North and South downs.Romantic - Good for couples.
Artist Residence Brighton 24 rooms from £90Brighton (East Sussex)
This arty 23 bedroom hotel, cocktail bar and restaurant is centrally located in Regency Square, with sea views over the iconic West Pier. Cool, contemporary decor in the middle of Brighton with lots of galleries and good restaurants just minutes away. Really great for weekend group getaways.Close to nightlife - Explore everything this eclectic city has to offer.Great walks - A stones throw from the beach frontSights nearby - Walking distance to Brighton PierOther Activities - Visit The Theatre RoyalRecommended by - I Escape, Sawdays