The 13 Best quirky hotels in Ireland
if you're looking for an Irish hotel with a certain 'je ne sais quoi' then our hotel experts have just the thing for you. Whether it be a coastal break in an old lighthouse, some seriously flamboyant design, or a rural stay on an organic farm; there is bound to be something for you. Carefully selected for their service, design, and uniqueness, why not browse through our collection of the best quirky hotels in Ireland to start planning your trip?
- Hotel Isaacs is a chic boutique hotel in the heart of Cork. Originally a tobacco factory, the rooms and apartments mix contemporary design against traditional features. However, the multi-award-winning restaurant Greene's is the real draw and worthy of a visit alone.
- Barberstown Castle in County Kildare is a striking 800-year-old castle which has welcomed many-a-renowned guest in its years. Choose this property for the fine-dining restaurant and the opportunity to feast at a medieval banquet!
- King Sitric is an award-winning seafood restaurant and hotel located in Howth, just outside Dublin. A place to come for breathtaking views of Balscadden Bay to be enjoyed with crab and oysters caught by local fishermen.
For a Dublin pick
- Kelly's Hotel is a quirky boutique hotel in Dublin's city centre. Rooms are individually styled with the best maintaining the building's Victorian-era charm. A fun bridge leads over to No Name Bar. A great choice for city exploring.
- O'Neills is a traditional inn at the heart of Dublin's bustling city centre. Classic décor nods to the building's Victorian-era heritage. A whiskey lovers delight, tastings are offered in a dedicated whiskey bar.
For a Belfast option
- House Belfast is a chic hotel located in Belfast's vibrant city centre. Featuring wood-panelled rooms, quirky artwork and a lively bar and restaurant this is an undeniably cool city crashpad.
- Merchant Hotel occupies a 19th-century building, formerly a bank. Interiors are grand and there is a superb jazz bar. A luxurious choice for a city escape.
For a coastal stay
- The Quay House is the place to come to experience traditional Irish hospitality. Located on the coast of Galway, with 15 rooms, all decorated in period style. A welcoming coastal stay.
- Clare Island Lighthouse is a converted lighthouse offering secluded and chic accommodation on rugged Clare Island. Each room features a wood-burning stove. A unique and cosy choice for an indulgent hideaway.
For a rural escape
- The Botanical B&F is a charming cottage hidden away in idyllic countryside in County Cork. Comprising just four rooms, the interiors have a rural chic feel. A secluded place to come to truly get away from it all.
- Ballylagan Organic Farm in County Antrim features pigs in the pens and sheep in the field; this property is exactly like its name suggests. The original farmhouse boasts four delightful rooms and there is the option of a self-catering cottage.
- The Old Inn is an utterly charming inn set in a quiet hamlet just outside Belfast. Elegant and characterful throughout, you can expect enormous fireplaces, chandeliers, heavy four poster beds and rich hues.
For a boutique
- Schoolhouse Hotel is a converted Victorian school located next to the grand canal in Dublin's Ballsbridge. Awarded four-stars, rooms are luxurious and traditional. A unique stay.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Ireland.
- Or you could expand your search to include our Guru's recommendations for the best castle hotels in Ireland or the best hotels in Ireland with a hot tub.
- Alternatively, you could contact one of our friendly Gurus for personalised advice.
Hotel Isaacs Cork 47 rooms from AU$145Foodies - The multi-award winning Greene's restaurant is the real draw serving up modern Irish cuisineLocal exploring - A boutique base in the heart of Cork's theatre districtLocal markets - Make a stop at the English Market, Ireland's most famous covered food marketSights nearby - Visit one (or both) of the Gothic cathedrals in the city
Originally an Edwardian tobacco factory, now a boutique hotel, set in the heart of Cork. A collection of rooms and apartments mix contemporary and traditional styles resulting in a clean and simple aesthetic. The multi-award-winning restaurant Greene's is the real draw and worthy of a visit alone. See More
Kelly's Hotel Dublin Dublin 16 rooms from AU$161Short fly break - This hotel is perfectly situated for a short fly weekend away; throw a few things into a bag and book your flightCity Style - You can't get a more central location than this hotel's; use this as a base for exploring Dublin's city sightsRomantic Break - With its unique design and cosy rooms, this hotel is great for couple's looking for a lively romantic breakSights nearby - Visit Christ Church Cathedral, one of Dublin's most historic city sights
This quirky boutique hotel is located in the heart of Dublin's city centre. Individually styled rooms boast hand-selected design pieces and comfy beds; the best retain the building's Victorian-era charm with exposed wooden beams. Take the novel hotel bridge over to No Name Bar. A lively city stay. See More
The Quay House Co Galway, County Galway 15 rooms from AU$228Active Holiday - With great opportunities for hiking, fishing and cycling in the area, this hotel makes a great option for active holidaymakersRomantic Break - Couples love the period details and unique décor at this family-run B&B; book a harbour-view room for added romanceLocal exploring - Explore the coastline and the pretty town, with easy access from this seafront bolt-holeGreat walks - Try the Derrigimlagh/Marconi walk, a 5km trail across blanket bog over a rugged and wild landscapeRecommended by - Sawdays, Good Hotel Guide
Experience traditional Irish hospitality at this heritage hotel on the coast of Galway. Family heirlooms and an open hearth make for a warm welcome. Upstairs, guestrooms are period themed, featuring lovely antiques, a fireplace and rich linens. A beautiful B&B, perfect for a weekend by the sea. See More
Clare Island Lighthouse County Mayo 5 rooms from AU$815Back to Nature - Designed to take in the spectacular surrounds. This island hotel is the perfect place to get back to natureGreat walks - Walking along the numerous hiking trails is one of the best ways to discover the islandMinimum Stay - Two nights minimum stayRestrictions on children - Over 16s are welcomed
The Botanical B&B Glengarriff, County Cork 4 rooms from AU$225Groups - With just four bedrooms this is the perfect property to rent out in its entirety with friendsCountry Escape - A secluded spot in a beautiful rural setting. An ideal choice for a countryside getawayGreat walks - Take long scenic walks starting straight from the property's front doorRestrictions on children - Adult only
A charming cottage hidden away in idyllic countryside. Offering just four rooms which have been immaculately styled to create a rural chic feel. Communal areas are warm and cosy with roaring fires and beamed ceilings. Superb breakfasts are served using local produce. A quirky country escape. See More
Barberstown Castle County Kildare 55 rooms from AU$375Weddings - Well seasoned in hosting weddings, the hotel offers experienced staff and a beautiful settingLocal exploring - From medieval castles to megalithic sites there is plenty to explore in the surrounding areaSights nearby - Visit Newgrange, a 5,000 year old megalithic siteFull of character
A striking 800-year-old castle which has welcomed many-a-renowned guest in its years. Traditional interiors are everything one desires from a historical building: roaring fires, heavy antiques, and rich fabrics. Boasting a fine-dining restaurant and the opportunity to feast at a medieval banquet! See More
Schoolhouse Hotel Dublin (Ballsbridge) 31 rooms from AU$259Local exploring - Ideally placed in Ballsbridge, close to the city's main attractions including the Bord Gais Energy Theatre and the Aviva StadiumGreat walks - Take a stroll along the Grand Canal walkway that runs beside the houseSights nearby - 10 mins walk from Dublin's main sights and events venuesTraditional
Converted Victorian school located next to the grand canal in Ballsbridge. Especially handy for the centre of town and the new Aviva stadium for rugby enthusiasts. Thirty one traditionally decorated rooms feature king sized beds, free wifi and free movies as standard. Excellent value. See More
King Sitric Dublin (Howth Co.) 8 rooms from AU$261Foodies - King Sitric offers a varied menu specialising in wild Irish fish and shellfish caught by local fishermenLocal exploring - Explore the sleepy fishing town of Howth - don't forget to visit Howth CastleFishing - The town of Howth is a popular fishing spot for tourists and locals alikeGreat walks - King Sitric is surrounded by stunning walks on the Irish coast
O'Neills Dublin 8 rooms from AU$271Families - With family rooms available, and children's meals on offer in the restaurant, this is a good option for familiesLocal exploring - Located in the heart of Dublin, this is a great base for exploring the city's historic sightsRomantic Break - With cosy rooms in a pretty, heritage building, this is perfect for a quiet couples' getawaySights nearby - Visit the Guiness Storehouse; it involves a self-guided tour over 6 floors with everything you ever wanted to know about Guiness
A traditional inn at the heart of Dublin's bustling city centre. Traditional décor nods to the building's Victorian-era heritage, with original fireplaces and antique furnishings. Book in for a whiskey tasting at the pub's own whiskey bar or sample a local beer. A charming, family-run guesthouse. See More
House Belfast Belfast BT7 1JL 31 rooms from AU$130Local exploring - Located on vibrant Botanic Avenue, Belfast's main attractions and great nightlife are all within walking distance of this hotelCity Style - With its stylish interiors and central location, this hotel makes a contemporary, chic Belfast hotelRomantic Break - The comfortable hotel beds and cosy restaurant score highly with couplesSights nearby - Head to the classical City Hall, located in nearby Donegall Square; guided tours of the historic building are available
This chic hotel is located in Belfast's vibrant city centre. Interiors feature upholstered furniture, quirky artwork and cosy wood-panelling, while the stylish guestrooms boast feature wallpaper and plush soft linens. Don't miss the great food and cocktail menu in the restaurant; a lively city stay. See More
Ballylagan Organic Farm Ballyclare, County Antrim 4 rooms from AU$178Country Escape - Set on a lovely farm in County Antrim, this place is definitely for people who are looking for fresh air and open space.Sights nearby - Take a day trip into Belfast and explore sights such as the Titanic Museum, the Falls Road and the Ulster Museum.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of lovely walking routes.Full of character
The Old Inn Crawfordsburn, County Down 33 rooms from AU$188Total relaxation - A charming and indulgent inn set in a tiny hamlet with superb food and glorious walks.Great walks - Just five minutes from Helen's Bay and the start of a deservedly popular coastal walk all the way to Bangor.Romantic - Good for couples.Secluded setting - For escaping.
An utterly charming inn set in a quiet hamlet just outside Belfast. Elegant and characterful throughout expect enormous fireplaces, chandeliers, heavy four poster beds and rich hues. Opt for a historic suite to feel like you've stepped back in time. The exemplary restaurant tops this fabulous hotel. See More
Merchant Hotel Belfast 62 rooms from AU$657Foodies - Berts Jazz Bar serves delicious dishes, fine cocktails accompanied by live musicCity Style - Historic accommodation in the heart of BelfastSpa breaks - One of they city's most renowned spasSights nearby - UNESCO World Heritage site, the Giant’s CausewayRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Fodors
Stunning transformation of a former 19th century bank. Eclectic contemporary rooms evoke a romantic Napoleon III-style Paris - luscious velvets and silks, rich wool carpets, gold and red chintz wallpapers, and statement artwork. Superb bar, spa and gym plus a live jazz bar. Divine. See More