Search the best hotels in Vannes
A beautiful medieval city on Brittany’s picturesque Golfe du Morbihan, Vannes is a wonderful base for history buffs, couples or families. Heritage buildings are home to shopfronts and lively eateries, there’s a thriving port, gardens and easy access to the beach for eager sunbathers and sailors, as well as a good choice of accommodation options from family friendly chambres d'hotes to boutique B&Bs. Our pick of the best places to stay in Vannes are clustered around the old city centre, perfect for on-foot explorations in the sunshine.
Amble along cobbled alleyways encircled by ancient fortifications to get a sense of old Vannes. The Centre Historique is bursting with half-timbered houses, a bustling market place, museums, pottery shops, galleries, cafés and eateries. Highlights include the Cathédrale Saint-Pierre, which took 600 years to complete, Place Henri IV and the Remparts de Vannes. The pretty Jardins des Remparts are ideal for a picnic, whilst the Port de Plaisance is great for admiring yachts and fishing vessels whilst sipping a coffee or munching on a croissant.
Keen beach-goers should make for Conleau Beach, where you can swim, kayak and sail. You’ll find this a busy spot during weekends and school holidays, with families kicking back on the sand, ice creams or delectable crêpes in hand. The best places to stay in Vannes fill up fast in the summer — and it’s also worth booking well ahead for a table at the city’s top seafood restaurants. The chance to sample legendary Breton cuisine is not to be missed!
The Best Places to Stay in Vannes
- La Villa Garenne is a charming boutique spot in the heart of Vannes. Five individually styled rooms blend traditional and contemporary touches, with crisp white linens, black and white photographs, and antique furniture. A stone's throw from the marina, this is an intimate B&B for couples dreaming of unwinding at the seaside.
- Une Suite à Vannes offers a swish, one-bedroom apartment in a historic building close to the port. Pick this place for the beautifully renovated interiors, designer vibe and romantic sense of privacy. Breakfasts can be delivered to your door, and there's the option to cook if you feel like it. Very cool and romantic.
- Maison de la Garenne was built in 1898, and now houses five guestrooms — two of which have additional beds for families. Stay here for the central location, lovely gardens, classic French breakfasts and the small swimming pool. Child friendly and very welcoming. Vannes' attractions are a short walk away.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Nantes Atlantique Airport or to Rennes Bretagne Airport, both 1.5 hours from Vannes by bus, taxi or train.
- Brittany is brilliant for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking at around 23°C in July and August — this is the busiest time of year. For a quieter trip, consider visiting in April or September, although the weather will be cooler.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in Belle-Ile-en-Mer.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in Brittany.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Vannes
Best Hotels in Vannes
La Villa Garenne Vannes 5 rooms from CA$133Local exploring - Located in the heart of historic Vannes with many of the attractions within walking distance.Sights nearby - Visit the towers, gates and fortified bridges of the Vannes ramparts.Great walks - Head out of town and take long walks along the spectacular coastline.Romantic - Good for couples.
A charming boutique hotel in the heart of historic Vannes. Five individually styled rooms mix traditional and contemporary styles with black and white photography, crisp white linen and antique furniture. Just a stone's throw from the marina and an ideal base from which to explore Brittany. See More
Maison de la Garenne Vannes 5 rooms from CA$197Local exploring - Ideally located in the heart of Vannes with many attractions within walking distance.Sights nearby - Visit Saint Peter’s Cathedral just a short walk from the property.Great walks - Take long walks along the spectacular coastline.Swimming Pool - Outdoor swimming pool
An impressive mansion in the heart of the historic town of Vannes. Spacious rooms are traditionally dressed with large sash windows, wooden floors, chintz fabrics and fireplaces. Boasting a spa, swimming pool and tranquil garden while also just being a short stroll from Vannes' attractions. See More
Une Suite a Vannes Vannes 1 rooms from CA$183Local exploring - Located near the port in Vannes, this apartment is perfectly located to explore the pretty town on footRomantic Break - A private and luxurious space for loversGreat walks - Take a guided walking tour of Vannes' historic centreSailing - Take a boat ride to the Island of Arz
A chic one-bedroom apartment set in a historic building near Vannes' port. Light and spacious interiors have been beautifully renovated. With large sash windows, minimalist furniture and whitewashed walls there's a designer feel. Breakfasts can be delivered or there's an option to self-cater. See More