Search the best hotels in Picton
The gateway to spectacular Marlborough Sounds — and Queen Charlotte Sound in particular — the small seaside community of Picton is a marvellous base for a relaxing coastal escape or an adventurous holiday with friends and family. You’ll be perfectly placed to discover the Marlborough wine region, to hike or cycle, or to take to the water for sailing, fishing and kayaking. Carefully selected by our expert gurus, our list of the best places to stay in Picton includes everything from a heritage B&B to a remote eco-resort accessible only by speedboat or helicopter.
Set in an an inlet known as Picton Harbour, the town itself is fringed by verdant hills and mountains. Stroll the streets to admire boutiques and eateries — you'll find most of the action clustered around the marina. Keen adventurers can hike or cycle a portion of the 70km Queen Charlotte Track, or take to the skies for helicopter rides and skydiving. Enjoy sailing lessons or charter a yacht for trips around scenic coves and out to spot endemic birds on Motuara Island. Shipwreck dives are also popular, as are dolphin watching expeditions.
Twenty minutes’ drive away, the Marlborough wine region is sensational. Explore Blenheim and visit some of the area’s hundred vineyards and 40 cellar doors for a taste of New Zealand's most famous export. Many of the best places to stay in Picton also pair top wines with gourmet fare at their in-house restaurants — a foodie dream!
The Best Places to Stay in Picton
For a Central Stay
- Sennen House was built in 1886, and sits within verdant gardens. Book one of three appealing studios and apartments with lovely balconies, kitchenettes and sitting rooms. Breakfast hampers are delivered each morning, and you can easily stroll into central Picton for cafés and restaurants. For couples, friends or families with teenagers.
- Escape to Picton has just one room and two suites on the marina in Picton. Known for its excellent seafood restaurant, this little property is a foodie favourite. It's also great for couples or friends eager to stay in the heart of Picton, within easy reach of all the attractions. Charming.
- The Sounds Retreat is a cool, contemporary suite with superb views over Queen Charlotte Sound. Pick this place for the indulgent feel, the sense of privacy, and the beautiful candelit gourmet dinners. The team pride themselves on organising epic activities — from private vineyard tours in a 1985 Land Rover Defender to helicopter trips and fishing charters. A honeymoon escape.
For Secluded Luxury
- Bay of Many Coves Resort has one-, two- and three-bedroom apartments with spectacular views over Arthur's Bay. Set on 52 hectares of private grounds, this secluded escape can be accessed only by air or water. Families and groups will delight in fantastic food, hikes, sailing and fishing trips. Brilliant for bird watching, too.
- Raetihi Lodge offers space for up to 28 guests in a beautiful coastal spot on Kenepuru Sound. Exclusive bookings are ideal for wedding, family or group celebrations. There's fabulous food, kayaking, hiking, fishing and boat trips to entertain visitors of all ages. Superb.
- No Road Inn is an indulgent 5-bedroom contemporary lodge, perfect for exclusive group or family holidays. With the Queen Charlotte Track running through the back garden, and plenty of kayaking, boat trips and cycling opportunities in the area, this is one for outdoorsy travellers dreaming of absolute privacy. Accessed by boat, helicopter or on foot.
For Great Value
- The Portage Resort offers a collection of simple rooms and two-bedroom suites, 15 minutes from Picton by water taxi. An affordable base for family trips, with kayaks, paddle boards and fishing gear to hire. Ten minutes from the Queen Charlotte Track. Complete with two restaurants, a swimming pool and lawn games. Fun and friendly.
- Lochmara Lodge is another well-priced eco-lodge with flexible room options for couples, families or groups. Arrive by water taxi, seaplane or mountain bike, as there's no road access. Kayak, hike the Queen Charlotte Track or marvel at the lodge's bird conservation projects, as well as its stationary underwater observatory -- one of only two in NZ. Family-run and welcoming.
FOR AN APARTMENT OR HOLIDAY COTTAGE
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to nearby Blenheim Airport, or to Nelson Airport from Wellington, Christchurch or Auckland and travel to your hotel by bus or taxi. Alternatively, hop aboard the regular ferry from Wellington to Picton.
- New Zealand is famously wonderful for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Travel during the spring or summer for the best weather, with temperatures peaking around 18-22°C between December and April. For a quieter trip and great deals, look at May or October-November, though these months will be cooler and showers more frequent.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay In Blenheim.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best places to stay in the South Island.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Picton
Best Hotels in Picton
Lochmara Lodge Picton (Queen Charlotte Sound) 14 rooms from CA$118Wildlife Area - Book a tour of the lodge's stationary underwater observatory — one of 2 in NZ — for a family-friendly insight into marine lifeBirdwatching - Witness the amazing dawn chorus & speak to the team about Yellow & Red Crowned Kākariki, Weka & Blue Penguin conservationBack to Nature - Ideal for keen kayakers, hikers & wildlife enthusiasts eager to stay somewhere remote yet welcoming on the SoundsFamilies - Families will appreciate the plethora of activites and the flexible accommodation with multiple beds in studios
Accessed by seaplane or water taxi, this relaxed eco-lodge on Lochmara Bay is perfect for couples, groups or families. Flexible room options have kitchenettes, balconies & simple, traditional interiors. Hike, kayak, paddle board or marvel at the underwater aquarium & conservation projects. Lovely. See More
The Portage Resort Picton (Marlborough Sounds) 41 rooms from CA$160Value chic - Simple, budget-friendly rooms and suites in a scenic part of the Sounds. The Weka rooms are the most affordableFamilies - Book a two-bedroom Korimako room for a family or group trip, and go kayaking, sailing, hiking and moreKayaking - Hire kayaks or stand up paddleboards to explore the crystalline waters of the SoundsFishing - Try your hand at fishing - the resort has rods suitable for children and adults
A collection of affordable rooms and suites for fun, outdoorsy trips to the Sounds. Bright, modern rooms have great views to Kenepuru Sound - some boast private balconies. With an outdoor swimming pool, spa, gardens and two restaurants, this is a relaxed, family-friendly base. See More
Sennen House Picton 3 rooms from CA$185Local exploring - Well-located for hiking the Queen Charlotte Track, sailing & kayaking on the Marlborough Sounds and seeing the wine countryRomantic Break - The Queen Charlotte Sutdio has a carved four-poster bed and private balcony, perfect for a restful romantic retreatOther Activities - Take a boat ride from Marlborough Sounds to Motuara Island bird sanctuary with Dolphin Watch EcotoursKayaking - Paddling in the pristine waters of the Marlborough Sounds is a real treat
A historic, 1886-built homestead transformed into boutique accommodation in Picton. Four-poster beds, original NZ artworks and elegant furnishings. Formal gardens and Queen Elizabeth II National Trust protected native forest to the rear. Walking distance to restaurants and Queen Charlotte Track. See More
Raetihi Lodge Picton (Kenepuru Sound) 14 rooms from CA$187Groups - With up to 14 rooms and the option to book the lodge exclusively, this is a superb group or family holiday choiceExclusive use - Space for 10–28 guests on a 50-acre estate with a private chef & lots of activitiesGreat walks - Walk along nearby bush trails, or try a 10km leg of the Queen Charlotte TrackKayaking - Borrow complimentary kayaks and stand-up paddle boards from the lodge
Luxury lodge on Kenepuru Sound, with chic, comfortable rooms offering sea, garden and hill views. Waterfront restaurant, fishing rods and kayaks for exploring. Close to a 9-hole golf course, Queen Charlotte Track and wineries. Book the whole place for a relaxing escape with family and friends. See More
Kippilaw House Picton 2 rooms from CA$236Cooking classes - Hone your cooking skills in a private class with B&B co-owner & cookbook writer MargaretFoodies - Cooking classes & 4-course Chef's Table dinners are a real treat for keen cooks!Other Activities - Explore the Marlborough Sounds on day trips with Beachcomber CruisesGreat walks - Hike a portion of the Queen Charlotte Walking Track, which stretches from historic Ship Cove to Anakiwa
A charming two-bedroom B&B set in flower-filled gardens in Picton. Rooms features antiques and expansive town & mountain views. Big breakfasts & four-course Chef's Table dinners will delight foodies. Unwind on the terrace, share the suite as a family, or take cooking classes with co-owner Margaret. See More
Escape to Picton Picton 3 rooms from CA$324Foodies - Chef Juliearna Kavanagh has a reputation for some of the best food in the Marlborough Sounds are. Seafood dishes are a highlightGolf - Play 9 holes at Picton Golf Club, take the kids to Sounds Mini Golf or enjoy a round at the world-class Marlborough Golf CourseRomantic Break - Book the Formal Suite for the ultimate romantic escape, complete with a glass of champagne on arrivalWine tasting - The vineyards of Marlborough’s Wairau and Awatere valleys are a 20 minute drive away
Fun & lively boutique hotel on Picton's waterfront. Romantic rooms decorated in a neutral palette with opulent accessories including chandeliers, wooden floors and free standing baths. Highly acclaimed on site restaurant for local seafood & more. Great base for exploring Marlborough region. See More
Bay of Many Coves Resort Picton (Arthur's Bay) 11 rooms from CA$558Active Holiday - With 52 hectares of coastal grounds, the resort is perfect for active travellers of all ages to sail, kayak, swim & birdwatchGroups - Families or groups will adore the two- and three-bedroom villas with private terraces and heaps of spaceBirdwatching - Kereru, Tui and Weka emerge at dusk on the grounds, whilst the world's only King Cormorant breeding colony is nearbyGreat walks - Trails wind through the resort's 52 hectares of private bush, alive with native birdsRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Tranquil and private luxury eco-resort with spacious, elegant rooms & apartments. Outdoor decks & huge picture windows make the most of fantastic views over the bay. With a fine dining restaurant, private jetty, hot tub, outdoor swimming pool and 52 hectares of grounds. See More
The Sounds Retreat Picton 1 rooms from CA$760Romantic Break - With an outdoor hot tub, complete privacy, massages and candlelit dinners - it doesn't get much more romantic than thisFishing - Take a private fishing trip to the Tory Channel in the Cook Strait, or north out of Queen Charlotte SoundOther Activities - Helicopter rides and thrilling skydiving adventures begin from Picton Airport and MotuekaWine tasting - In a 1985 Land Rover Defender, the private Cloudy Bay Vineyard Tour is fabulous
A luxury suite overlooking Queen Charlotte Sound, framed by mountains, offering the perfect escape for two. Accommodation is chic and contemporary with picture windows and glass doors leading onto a terrace complete with a hot tub. Fine-dining is offered under the stars. A romantic choice. See More
No Road Inn Picton (Queen Charlotte Track) 5 rooms from CA$868Great walks - A perfect starting point for the 60km Queen Charlotte Track, which passes through the backyardSailing - Boat trips to Motuara Island, Long Island, Kokomohua Marine Reserve and Ship Cove are superbGroups - A five-bedroom luxury lodge for exclusvie group or family trips to Queen Charlotte SoundExclusive use - A private lodge with space for ten guests
Accessible only by water taxi, helicopter or on foot, this exclusive-use lodge is the first night's stay along the Queen Charlotte Track. 5 light, airy rooms with private outdoor decks, showers and baths. With an outdoor hot tub, native forest garden, restaurant and wifi. Luxury in the wilderness. See More