- ✓ Check Availability
- ✓ Book Online Now
Wine Hotels in Marlborough
Marlborough is New Zealand’s most famous wine-producing region, with around 75 per cent of the country’s wines. Sitting at the north-eastern tip of South Island, it has a dry, sunny climate that is well-suited to the sauvignon blanc grape, its legendary wine. The Wairau valley, home to the region’s principal city, Blenheim, and Awatere valley are the two best areas in which to base yourself if you are looking for a wine hotel in Marlborough. This means you can choose either to be based in the city or the country.
Marlborough wine hotels in Blenheim
Blenheim is Marlborough's largest town, so is a good choice for those looking to do more than simply sip the latest vintage. It is situated in the heart of the wine growing country, but also provides a good range of cafes, restaurants, boutiques and art galleries.
- Chateau Marlborough offers the choice of doing your own thing at mealtimes, or taking things easy and enjoying their own restaurant. Rooms, which have kitchenettes, are chic and minimalist; the suites have full-size kitchens. Overlooking Seymour Gardens, the hotel is well-placed in central Blenheim, and also has an outdoor pool.
- Breakfasts are top-notch at Botanica B&B, with some of the produce coming direct from the owners’ award-winning garden. The two charming and homely suites open directly onto the latter, too. There are free bikes to explore the town and wineries, and the friendly owners also offer free transfers to and from the airport, and train and bus stations.
- Lovers of period styling should take a look at Hotel d’Urville. The art deco, boutique hotel’s rooms are individually themed from colonial to vintage to retro; some have four-poster beds. Try one of the cocktails before dinner. There’s an excellent wine list, too.
- On the edge of town, Antria Boutique Lodge is perfect for those who like quirky touches and bold, colourful art. The two high-ceilinged rooms are large and light, eclectically furnished and a showcase for abstract art. Cloudy Bay winery is within walking distance, as are plenty of restaurants.
Rural wine hotels in Marlborough
- If you prefer to be deep in the vineyards - Spy Valley within walking distance - Lake Timara Lodge is a luxurious alternative. Antiques, window seats and a five-acre, rose-scented garden, give this handsome house an English-country-house feel. Add a pool, tennis court and a private wine cellar, and you may decide to stay longer.
- Choose Old Saint Mary’s Convent and you have a vineyard on your doorstep. The convent dates from 1901 and was originally in Blenheim before being brought, piece by piece, to Raipaura. The five rooms are authentically ecclesiastical - stained-glass windows, high timbered ceilings - but with luxurious touches of roll-top baths and silk bed-covers. Rooms open out on to a wraparound balcony; perfect for sundowners.
- In a beautiful, white, 19th-century clapboard house, and surrounded by a walnut grove and free-range chickens, the two rooms at Marlborough B&B are spacious and elegant. There’s fantastic birdwatching, a relaxing garden as well as dinner with the family in the winter months.
Marlborough wine hotels for families
If you're touring the vineyards with the whole family, you might be looking for more flexible accommodation options - somewhere you can self cater if you choose (or not!). Here's our pick of wine hotels in Marlborough that should fit the bill.
- Anglers and bird-watchers will love Anatares Homestay and its close proximity to Wairau River - never mind the dozens of wineries that surround the property. The two octagonal, wooden chalets, each with two bedrooms, are simple and modern, both with direct access to the pool and hot tub. Breakfast is also provided.
- The luxurious self-catering villas at Vintners Retreat also have access to a pool plus tennis court. Spacious, light and modern, each has huge bathrooms and glossy-white kitchens as well as private patios with BBQs.
All of our recommended wine hotels in Marlborough are within easy reach of the area’s fabled vineyards. And, in some cases, they own one! If there's nothing here that fits the bill, why don't you widen the net and check out our Ultimate Guide to wine hotels in New Zealand or look at our full selection of the best places to stay in the South Island.
Antares Homestay from £122Marlborough
Two self-contained accommodation options, each with a kitchen, living area and two bedrooms. In the famous Marlborough wine region and close to Wairau River for great fishing and birdwatching. Friendly hosts, private, peaceful and good value.Sights nearby - Omaka Aviation Heritage Centre, Marlborough MuseumViews - Over vineyards to Wither Hills and Richmond RangesBirdwatching - Rare black-fronted tern and black-billed gullOutstanding location - Close to braided Wairau River
Vintners Retreat from £212Marlborough
Luxury accommodation in Marlborough vines. Self catering cottages with kitchen, laundry, living area and outdoor patio with BBQ. Swimming pool and tennis court on site. Ideal for wine tours and trips to local beaches.Swimming Pool - OutdoorGreat walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Marlborough B&B 2 rooms from £120Blenheim, Marlborough
Friendly, comfortable, clean, spacious and charming boutique B&B in Marlborough wine country. Contained cottage also available with kitchen facilities. On seven acres with walnut grove, free range chickens and cattle. Fresh daily breakfast.Birdwatching - Local birdlife - pukeko, tui, ducks, herons, pheasants, fantails, bellbirds, magpies and moreporkLocal markets - Good for local colour.Great walks - Good for walkers.Fishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Lake Timara Lodge 4 rooms from £341Marlborough
Luxury lodge with English country house feel in the heart of NZ's Marlborough wine region. Rooms with antique furnishings, bright wall paper, comfy double beds and seating areas. With a swimming pool, 5 acre garden with deliciously scented roses, tennis court and private wine cellar. Just charming.Birdwatching - Native wood pigeons, black swans, teal, geese, ducksGreat walks - Queen Charlotte TrackFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.Swimming Pool - Indoor/outdoor
Hotel D'Urville 11 rooms from £100Marlborough
1920s art deco style boutique hotel in Blenheim with 11 stylish and unique rooms, each with individual themes from classic to retro. Four poster beds, original art works and free wifi. Great restaurant and cocktail bar. An ideal base for exploring the Marlborough wineries.Local markets - Good for local colour.Four poster beds - For romantics.Great walks - Good for walkers.Recommended by - Fodors
Chateau Marlborough 45 rooms from £88Blenheim, Marlborough
Luxury hotel in central Blenheim with bright, contemporary and chic rooms all featuring separate kitchenettes. Larger suites have full kitchen and laundry facilities. Glorious outdoor swimming pool with fun bar, restaurant and views over Seymour Square gardens.Sights nearby - 2 minutes walk from the centre of BlenheimSwimming Pool - Heated outdoor pool with poolside barGreat walks - Queen Charlotte TrailLocal markets - Good for local colour.Recommended by - Fodors
Botanica B&B 2 rooms from £92Blenheim, Marlborough
Boutique B&B in Blenheim town, the heart of Marlborough wine region. Two suites set around award-winning garden with comfy beds, fun décor and laundry facilities. Free transfers to airport, bus and train stations. Delicious local and organic breakfast included.Great walks - Queen Charlottle TrackSights nearby - Omaka Aviation MuseumSailing - Can be booked nearby.Hideaway - Tranquil and intimate.
Antria Boutique Lodge 2 rooms from £192Blenheim, Marlborough
Charming boutique lodge consisting of two suites with high timber ceilings and quirky, contemporary local art. Friendly hosts offer tailored tours of the area. Within walking distance to restaurants and wineries. Garden with chickens, pigs and sheep. Great for a weekend break.Local markets - Marlborough Farmers Market (seasonal)Sailing - Boat trips in the Marlborough soundsGreat walks - Queen Charlotte TrackFishing - Excellent fishing nearby.
Old Saint Mary's Convent 5 rooms from £292Blenheim, Marlborough
Heritage hotel with fascinating religious history set in 60 acres of vines, park-like gardens and olive groves. Five suites with modern amenities, antique furnishings, rimu panelling and stained glass windows. Plus an outdoor pool and private chapel. Full of character and charm.Views - Of surrounding vineyards, gardens and Richmond RangesQuirky - Small family of cats lives on propertySights nearby - Omake Aviation Heritage CentreGreat walks - Queen Charlotte Track