6 Best Wine Hotels in Marlborough
Marlborough is New Zealand’s most famous wine-producing region, with around 75 per cent of the country’s wines. Sitting at the north-eastern tip of South Island, it has a dry, sunny climate that is well-suited to the sauvignon blanc grape, its legendary wine. The Wairau valley, home to the region’s principal city, Blenheim, and Awatere valley are the two best areas in which to base yourself if you are looking for a wine hotel in Marlborough. This means you can choose either to be based in the city or the country. All of our recommended wine hotels in Marlborough are within easy reach of the area’s fabled vineyards. And, in some cases, they own one!
Blenheim is Marlborough's largest town, so is a good choice for those looking to do more than simply sip the latest vintage. It is situated in the heart of the wine growing country, but also provides a good range of cafes, restaurants, boutiques and art galleries.
- Chateau Marlborough offers the choice of doing your own thing at mealtimes, or taking things easy and enjoying their own restaurant. Rooms, which have kitchenettes, are chic and minimalist; the suites have full-size kitchens. Overlooking Seymour Gardens, the hotel is well-placed in central Blenheim, and also has an outdoor pool.
- Lovers of period styling should take a look at Hotel d’Urville. The art deco, boutique hotel’s rooms are individually themed from colonial to vintage to retro; some have four-poster beds. Try one of the cocktails before dinner. There’s an excellent wine list, too.
- On the edge of town, Antria Boutique Lodge is perfect for those who like quirky touches and bold, colourful art. The two high-ceilinged rooms are large and light, eclectically furnished and a showcase for abstract art. Cloudy Bay winery is within walking distance, as are plenty of restaurants.
For a rural stay
- In a beautiful, white, 19th-century clapboard house, and surrounded by a walnut grove and free-range chickens, the two rooms at Marlborough B&B are spacious and elegant. There’s fantastic birdwatching, a relaxing garden as well as dinner with the family in the winter months.
Marlborough wine hotels for families
If you're touring the vineyards with the whole family, you might be looking for more flexible accommodation options — somewhere you can self cater if you choose (or not!). Here's our pick of wine hotels in Marlborough that should fit the bill.
- Anglers and bird-watchers will love Anatares Homestay and its close proximity to Wairau River — never mind the dozens of wineries that surround the property. The two octagonal, wooden chalets, each with two bedrooms, are simple and modern, both with direct access to the pool and hot tub. Breakfast is also provided.
- The luxurious self-catering villas at Vintners Retreat also have access to a pool and a tennis court. Spacious, light and modern, each has huge bathrooms and glossy-white kitchens as well as private patios with BBQs.
Still not sure?
- If there's nothing here that fits the bill, why don't you widen the net and check out our Ultimate Guide to wine hotels in New Zealand
- or look at our full selection of the best places to stay in the South Island.
Antares Homestay Blenheim (Renwick) 4 rooms from £122Families - Families with adore the two-bedroom Loft apartment with kitchen and private sitting roomRomantic Break - Book the Stars & Vines pod and hide away in the gardens with beautiful viewsBirdwatching - Rare black-fronted tern and black-billed gull can be seen close to the Wairau RiverFishing - Fish for trout and salmon on 140km of fishing grounds on the nearby Wairau River
Self-contained accommodation options with multiple bedrooms, and a romantic pod hideaway for nature lovers. In the famous Marlborough wine region and close to Wairau River for great fishing and birdwatching. Friendly hosts, private, peaceful and good value. See More
Vintners Retreat Blenheim (Marlborough) 12 rooms from £212Wine tasting - Nautilus and Wairau River are the nearest wineries, with tours and tastings just a five minute walk from your villaFamilies - Multi-bedroom villas with kitchens, sitting rooms and private terraces are ideal for families or groupsGreat walks - Walk or cycle alongside the winding Wairau River, where you can also fish and bird watchOther Activities - The pétanque strip and croquet sets are great for games with family and friends
Luxury accommodation in Marlborough vines. Self-catering lodges with kitchens, laundry facilities, living areas and outdoor patios with BBQs. Swimming pool and tennis court on site. Ideal for wine tours and family or group holidays. See More
Marlborough B&B Blenheim (Tua Marina) 2 rooms from £120Historic - Woodside is a historic homestead dating back to 1877 - one of the oldest listed properties in the areaHideaway - An intimate hideaway in English style gardens with majestic trees & an abundance of birdlifeWine tasting - Tours with Hop'N'Grape, Explore Marlborough Wine Tours or similar are excellentBirdwatching - Local birdlife - pukeko, tui, ducks, herons, pheasants, fantails, bellbirds, magpies and morepork
Friendly, comfortable, spacious and charming boutique B&B in Marlborough wine country. Elegant cottage also available with kitchen facilities and sitting room. On seven acres with walnut grove, free range chickens and cattle. Fresh daily breakfasts and welcoming owners. See More
Hotel D'Urville Blenheim 10 rooms from £100Close to nightlife - Bamboo Tiger is abuzz with locals and visitors on Friday night, when the bar hosts live jazz eveningsFoodies - Daily specials crafted from seasonal Marlborough produce at Mollies Restaurant are brilliantBar - Bamboo Tiger is a lively 1930s Asian fusion Jazz & Cocktail loungeHistoric - In Blenheim's historic 1920s Art Deco Public Trust buildingRecommended by - Fodors
1920s Art Deco style boutique hotel in Blenheim with 10 stylish and unique rooms, each with individual themes from classic to retro. Four poster beds, original art works and free wifi. Great restaurant and cocktail bar. An ideal base for exploring the Marlborough wineries. See More
Chateau Marlborough Blenheim (Corner High and Henry Streets) 45 rooms from £88Business meetings - The 3 boardrooms host up to 50 guests each. With catering facilities and chic accommodation, this is a great meeting venueOther Activities - The hotel supports the Marlborough Falcon Conservation Trust, and can arrange up-close encounters with kārearea falconsWine tasting - Highlight Wine Tours' Classic Car Tour is a very special way to discover Marlborough's vineyardsSights nearby - Blenheim's boutiques & galleries and bustling Seymour Square are 2 minutes' walk awayRecommended by - Fodors
Luxury hotel in central Blenheim with bright, contemporary and chic rooms all featuring separate kitchenettes. Larger suites have full kitchen and laundry facilities. Glorious outdoor swimming pool with fun bar, restaurant and views over Seymour Square gardens. See More
Antria Boutique Lodge Blenheim (RD2) 2 rooms from £192Wine tasting - Take a private half or full-day vineyard tour with owner Caro - Cloudy Bay Vineyard is moments away, as are 40 other wineriesOther Activities - Take the Mussel Cruise from Havelock out on the Pelorous Sound for great views and delicious musselsHoneymoons - Honeymoon packages include a bottle of bubbly on arrival and gorgeous vineyard dinnersLocal markets - The Marlborough Farmers Market is held on Sundays, between October and April
Charming boutique lodge consisting of two suites with high timber ceilings and quirky, contemporary local art. Friendly hosts offer tailored tours of the area. Within walking distance to restaurants and wineries, including Cloudy Bay. Great for a weekend break in an intimate, characterful setting. See More