Search the best hotels in Alesund
Ålesund is a city built on a row of Atlantic islands, expanding out from the compact old town and the original fishing port on the edge of the peninsula. It was mainly known for the vast fishing fleet, until the city was almost entirely destroyed by fire in 1904. It was beautifully rebuilt in a magically homogenous Art Nouveau style, part paid for by Kaiser Wilhelm II of Germany who used to holiday here. These days some of the best places to stay in Ålesund are also some of the most beautiful buildings in all of Norway.
What Not To Miss
- Climb up to the Fjellstua Viewpoint with the platform providing visitors exceptional views over the town, surrounding mountains and sea. Visitors are able to enjoy a scenic bite to eat at the cafe.
- A great acitivity for all the family is a visit to the Atlantic Sea Park with everything from fish to sea otters and penguins. Feeding time is especially entertaining!
- Visit the dramatic Norweigan Fjords - with excursions providing visitors a great opportunity to learn about the history of the area and see other natural beauties such as waterfalls.
- Learn about Alesund's Art Noveau architectural style at the Jugendstilsenteret with a range of educational features from exhibitions to public activities.
- Visit the iconic Alnes Lighthouse and take a stroll along the beach. If you want a fantastic view of the surrounding landscape, climb the lighthouse and afterwards relax in the nearby cafe.
The majority of the best places to stay in Ålesund are in the old town, which is also where you’ll find some of the most lauded architecture.
The best places to stay in Ålesund
- Storfjord is a luxurious hotel set in the secluded Glomoset Hills overlooking the Storfjord. This is a great spot for an active break, with kayaking and other watersports available right from the hotel and gourmet dining to come back to. There is a wonderfully cosy atmosphere with plenty of roaring fireplaces and lots of wood.
For an apartment or cabin
- If you'd prefer your own space, don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for a range of properties throughout the city.
- Fly to Alesund Airport located 17km (10.5 miles) from the town. The airport has flights to range of Domestic and International destinations and a transfer bus takes passengers to and from the town centre in approximately 25 mins.
- Alternatively, catch a train to Andalsnes and a connecting bus onto Alesund.
- If you want to rent a car to explore the majestic surroundings, for prices visit our online partner, Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the summer months from late April to August provide typically pleasant weather with lower rainfall.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Alesund
Sunde Fjord Hotel from CA$179Alesund (Solavågen)
An elegant hotel boasting a spectacular position set between the fjords and the sea. Light and airy rooms are all white on white with large windows framing the incredible views. With hiking and fishing the order of the day this is an outdoor lovers dream.Active Holiday - Surrounded by the fjords and located on the coast there's endless opportunities to enjoy outdoor pursuits.Fishing - A fisherman's paradise with numerous types of fishing on offer.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.Secluded setting - For escaping.
Storfjord 23 rooms from CA$263Alesund
A luxury hotel set in secluded Glomoset hills overlooking the Storfjord. Handcrafted log walls, roaring fire places and comfortable designer furniture. Plenty of activites for everyone - including kayaking and watersports from the hotel. Gourmet fine dining and local produce.Kayaking - Paddle to the idyllic Glomset cove and out in Storfjorden.Fishing - ÅlesundHideaway - Tranquil and intimate.Full of characterRecommended by - Tablet
Hotel Brosundet 131 rooms from CA$287Alesund
A boutique property boasting an enviable waterfront location in the beautiful city of Alesund. Immaculately designed rooms display Scandi style at its finest with steely blue hues, heavy exposed beams, wooden floors and sink-into beds. There's a fabulous restaurant and atmospheric bar too.City Style - A waterfront property with on point Scandi design.Fishing - Go fishing and enjoy the catch of the day at Restaurant MAKI.Sailing - Explore the fjords and the majestic Sunnmøre Alps by boat.Designer - Uniquely designed interiors.