Peso da Regua
Search the best hotels in Peso da Regua
About Peso da Regua
Peso da Ragua is in the northern Portuguese district of Vila Real. Nowadays it is most noted as a very important centre of Port production, and the best places to stay in Peso da Regua are perfect for anyone wanting to explore the Douro Valley. Situated on the banks of the Douro river, it sits 800 feet above the river and commands stunning views over the surrounding countryside - dramatic steep sloping terraces filled with the vineyards that produce the finest port wine. The area has been designated a ‘Quality brand for export’ since 1836 and the town has always played an important role in the production of the wine - the barrels were shipped from here down the river to Vila Nova de Gaia, where they were left to mature.
Aside from wine tourism, there is much else to see and do. This is a great place for the outdoors types with plenty of trails for keen walkers and cyclists. And Peso da Regua is the starting point for many boating trips on the river.
WHAT NOT TO MISS
- Book a wine tour which will take you to the best bits of this Douro region includng vineyard trips, walks, viewpoint visits etc.
- Museo do Duoro - A magnificent museum charting the history of port.
- Miradouro do Sao Leonardo da Galafura, a stunning viewpoint high above the river and valley, from where you will be able to see for miles. As well as the spectacular views there's also a tiny chapel to visit.
- The Douro is also great for all kinds of activities especially during the summer months. Hire a kayak or paddleboard for the day, or let someone else do the hardwork and enjoy a river tour.
This town itself may not be the prettiest along the Douro Valley but is still a popular destination due to its status as a hub for river traffic. So if you want to guarantee a room in one of the best places to stay in Peso da Regua, do yourself a favour and book well ahead.
BEST PLACES TO STAY IN PESO DA REGUA
For an active family holiday
- Quinta do Vallado is an eighteenth century country house boasting chic and contemporary interiors, surrounded by vineyards. There is an excellent restaurant and pool. Other activities include winetasting, cookery classes, picnics, fishing and bird watching.
For a luxury country escape
- Six Senses Duoro Valley is a world class luxury hotel. A terracotta manor house on the banks of the Duoro, the setting is magnificent. The rooms are sleek and contemporary in style. There is a spa and gourmet restaurant. Seriously spoiling!
For a self catering apartment or villa
- If you think that you'd prefer a self catering option, then check out the selection with our online partner, Booking.com
- Fly to Porto. It's about 120km west of Peso da Ragua. From there you can travel by train, bus or car, all taking between an hour and two hours.
- Best time to visit - for hot dry weather come in the peak summer months, however this is when the town will be at its busiest. We'd recommend a visit in spring or autumn, when the crowds have dissipated and the weather has cooled off.
- If you plan to hire a car and explore further afield, consult the prices with our partner, Rentalcars.
- Browse our list of the best places to stay in Peso da Regua,
- expand your search to include Vila Real, Pinhao, or Porto,
- or contact a friendly guru for some advice.
Monthly Weather in Peso da Regua
Best Hotels in Peso da Regua
Quinta do Vallado Peso da Regua 13 rooms from CA$176Restaurant - The small restaurant is exclusively for hotel guests & serves traditional cuisine using organic produceKayaking - Corgo river.Cooking classes - Check for timings.SpaRecommended by - I Escape
Splendid 18th century country house with contemporary chic interiors and a working vineyard. Excellent restaurant, pool, tours of the vineyard, fishing in the river, and picnics in the hills. A wonderful spot for an active family holiday or a private celebration. See More
Six Senses Douro Valley Peso da Regua (Lamego) 60 rooms from CA$541Spa breaks - Enjoy locally inspired treatments at the incredible spacious Spa complete with sauna, lavish wet area and top notch therapists.Country Escape - An impressive organically minded hillside manor overlooking incredibly unspoilt stretches of vineyards and the Douro Valley.Sailing - Take a 'wine and dine' Douro river cruise, perfect for a romantic break.Great walks - Explore the Douro Valley with its pretty villages and vineyards.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
A world-class luxury hotel set in a quintessentially Portuguese landscape. Terracotta-coloured manor house on the banks of the Douro. Sleek contemporary rooms with all the equally sleek technology. Excellent spa and gourmet restaurant. A magnificent setting for complete relaxation. See More