Search the best hotels in Helmsley
Helmsley is a handsome old market town with a cobbled square and an impressively fortified Norman castle, surrounded by banks and thick stone walls. The town itself is a collection of lovely old stone houses, pubs and inns, some of which are now the best places to stay in Helmsley.
As well as experiencing market day, which is Friday, and exploring the castle ruins, visitors come to walk the North Yorkshire Moors, visit the romantic ruins of Rievaulx Abbey and see some of the area’s wonderful gardens. You’re also just 40kms north of York.
What Not To Miss
- For a fun family day out, head off to the National Centre for Birds of Prey - home to over 100 owls, eagles, vultures, falcons and more.
- Whilst technically in ruins, what's left to see of the Gothic Rievaulx Abbey is truly stunning. Located in a tranquil setting, you'll find this a very atmospheric spot. Make sure to remember your camera!
- Wander around the 5-acre Helmsley Walled Garden before stopping off for a typically English afternoon tea.
- Foodies should definitely check out both Helmsley Brewery and Helmsley Traditional Sweet Shop.
The best places to stay in Helmsley are popular year-round, so if you want to guarantee a reservation, book well ahead.
The Best Places to Stay in Helmsley
For town centre location
- The Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa is right in the heart of town. A lovely old York stone building with modern interiors, including a heated pool and spa and fine dining restaurant. There are 33 rooms, with rates starting from £140 per night.
For a gourmet pub
- The Pheasant is just out of town, on the southern tip of the Yorkshire Moors. Converted from a blacksmith’s workshop, the 12 hotel rooms are arranged around a central courtyard full of fruit trees. There is an indoor pool and an award-winning restaurant.
- Black Swan At Hemsley features a range of accommodation, from quirky to country-contemporary, as well as a tearoom and walled garden. You'll love meals served up at their award-winning restaurant!
Prefer An Apartment Or Cottage?
- If you'd prefer the privacy of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Helmsley is nicest weather-wise in the summer months, with the average daily temperature rising to 16°C in July and August.
- Visitors can fly into Leeds Bradford Airport located 50 miles southwest of Helmsley and served by a number of international destinations. From the airport you can take the train or the bus on to Helmsley.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Widen the net and check out all our Yorkshire recommendations?
- or consider out recommendations for The Best Hotels in the North Yorks Moors National Park?
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Helmsley
Best Hotels in Helmsley
The Pheasant, Yorkshire Near Helmsley, Yorkshire 12 rooms from CA$261Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolRestaurant - Recommended.Sights nearby - Well located for major sights.TraditionalRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays
Black Swan at Helmsley Helmsley 45 rooms from CA$312Foodies - Foodies will love the award winning restaurant, where everything is made in house using only the best of Yorkshire's produce.Local exploring - A well situated base for exploring this picturesque market town and right on the edge of the Moors.Great walks - Make the most of the over 1,400 miles of country paths and tracks around Ryedale.Sights nearby - Visit the ruins of Helmsley Castle that overlook the town.
An historic former coaching inn turned smart hotel in the charming market town of Helmsley. Bedrooms offer a choice between quirky and original or country-contemporary. Guests love the sleek, fine-dining restaurant, pretty tearoom and lovely walled garden. An elegant escape close to the Moors. See More
Feversham Arms Hotel & Verbena Spa Helmsley, Yorkshire 33 rooms from CA$337Foodies - Foodies will love the locally sourced and expertly crafted menu, plus a hearty breakfast is included in the price.Romantic Break - A secluded spot to getaway together, with tandem massages, deep soaking tubs, cosy corners and crakling fires.Great walks - The hotel is on the edge of the Moors and close to a National Park, an ideal spot for rambling.Sights nearby - Helmsley Castle, Castle Howard and Helmsley Walled Garden are all worth checking out.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Good Hotel Guide, Small Luxury Hotels
Chic old York stone inn and spa located in a picturesque Yorkshire village. Contemporary interiors meet luxury features to make a relaxing stay. Enjoy a diverse menu at the Weathervane, relax at the heated pool and indulge in spa treatments. A luxurious stay for local exploring. See More