Search the best hotels in Nassau
Bahamian capital and by far the country's busiest port, Nassau is busy with movement, sounds, colours and smells. Nassau has the lion's share of the Bahamian population, restaurants, shopping and this is also where you'll find some of the oldest Caribbean beach hotels. Some of these grand old dames still number on the list of the best places to stay in Nassau, but there are also a number of smaller, more stylish properties and the large, modern resorts just outside of Nassau.
Founded by the British in 1650, Nassau is probably better known, historically, for its connection with piracy, and especially Blackbeard, who challenged British rule here. These days it is the visitor hub for the Bahamas, what with the cruise port and airport and is known for its lively atmosphere and shopping as much as for its stunning beaches.
Nassau is also home to a cheesy, but fun, pirate museum, the National Art Gallery, a zoo, several beautiful botanical gardens, some excellent markets, several impressive forts and the Atlantis Waterscape (on Paradise Island) and a vast open-air aquarium. So there's plenty to do here. As well as every watersport you can imagine and every kind of place to eat and drink you might fancy.
If Nassau is tempting you then you may want to consider Cable Beach or Paradise Island, which have sort of become Nassau's glamorous, beachy suburbs.
What not to miss:
- Spend lazy days unwinding on the picture perfect white sand beaches.
- Try your hand at any number of water sports activities including ket skiing, kayaking, deep sea fishing or windsurfing.
- Make a trip to the private Blue Lagoon Island and snorkel through the brightly coloured coral reefs.
- Visit the National Art Gallery of the Bahamas, home to the National Collection of Bahamian Art.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Nassau range from charming apartments on Paradise Island to a historic five star property in the centre of town.
The Best Places to stay in Nassau
For a beach break
- The Compass Point Hotel is a collection of 18 funky Caribbean-style apartments with direct beach access. The Compass point also has a great beach bar and a fantastic restaurant which offers both Bahamian and international cuisine.
- The Cove Atlantis is the ultimate family resort with its own cinema, casino, beach, water park and just about every kind of watersport or resort activity you can imagine. The Cove Atlantis is also big - so there's a huge range when it comes to restaurants and bars. There are also several kid's clubs.
For a low key holiday
- The Orange Hill Beach Inn is a relaxed, friendly, 33 room inn, converted in a very Caribbean style, from an orange plantation. There are rooms with small kitchens and there's also a restaurant.
- The Paradise Harbour Club is a collection of apartments with kitchens, just behind their own marina. There are beautiful views, a pool, hot tub and sun terraces, but no restaurant.
For a taste of island life
- The Graycliff Hotel is a characterful spot, right in the centre of town. Rooms are packed with antique opulence. There are two pools, beautiful gardens and sun terrace plus a gym, spa, Bahamian restaurant, wine cellar and a cigar factory.
For an apartment or villa
- If you've decided that a self catering property would be more suitable for your holiday, then we recommend you visit our online booking partner Booking.com where they have a wide selection for all tastes and budgets.
- Nassau's Lynden Pindling International Airport is the largest airport in the Bahamas. Major U.S. airlines have flights to Nassau and there is also a limited service from Toronto and London.
- Best time to visit - The climate is best described as subtropical. With a climate identical to South Florida, the area usually experiences very warm, humid weather throughout the year, with cool nights during wintertime. Hurricane season runs from June to November.
- If you plan to hire a car, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars for the best prices.
Still not sure?
- Browse through our list of all the best places to stay in Nassau.
- Expand your search to our list of the best places to stay in the Bahamas, or alternatively check out all our Caribbean recommendations.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Nassau
Best Hotels in Nassau
Orange Hill Beach Inn Nassau, Bahamas 33 rooms from €124Families - Laid back atmosphere, large outdoor pool, beach access and small kitchens in studiosDiving - More than a dozen shipwrecks, underwater movie sites, beautiful coral reefsGreat walks - Through Nassau Botanical GardensTraditionalRecommended by - Fodors
Compass Point Hotel Nassau, Bahamas 18 rooms from €198Beach Life - Colourful clapperboard suites, with an idllyic beach, activities within walking distanceFishing - Hotel can organise boat charter to trawl the deep seas for a prized marlinFull of characterRestaurant - Recommended.
SLS Baha Mar Nassau 299 rooms from €274Groups - Perfect for hen & stag dos or groups of friends looking for a fun time in stunning setting; endless entertainment in guaranteedFamilies - Kid's club, endless activities, babysitting, beach, pools and multi-room residences ensure the whole family has a perfect stayBeach Life - Direct access to white sand beach and turquoise water at Baha Beach Club, located at the end of famous Cable BeachSwimming Pool - Three outdoor pools - including slick sea-facing infinity and lagoon-style experience - are complimented with kid's only pool
Luxury beach resort with all the trimmings. Glossy rooms and sleek Miami-style residences boasting epic sea views appeal to families, friends and couples. Endless amenities and activities include beach club, spa, pools, casinos and multiple dining options. Las Vegas vibes in Caribbean setting. See More
Graycliff Hotel Nassau, Bahamas 20 rooms from €292Quirky - In this 200 plus year old mansion, find antiques, a cellar filled with thousands of bottles of wine, and a working cigar factorySights nearby - Hotel overlooks the Government House in the centre of Nassau.Great walks - Around town from Rawson SquareFull of character
Characterful 5* hotel in town centre. Rooms have antiques, opulent fabrics, chandeliers and four poster beds. Two outdoor pools, gym, spa treatments, gardens and sun terrace. Excellent Bahamian cuisine, extensive wine cellars and cigar factory. Unusual, luxurious and unique. See More
The Island House Nassau 30 rooms from €389Total relaxation - Relax into a state of near-jelly- with extensive spa treatments, indulgent dinners, endless cocktails and tropical viewsTennis - Let your competitive side out on the squash or paddle tennis courtsSecluded setting - For escaping.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith
An elegant island retreat for the sophisticated traveller, far from the tourist crowds of Nassau. Simple chic Eastern style architecture is set off by earthy bamboos, custom-made wood furniture, neutral tones and stunning tropical gardens. The spa and fitness facilities are the best on the island. See More
The Cove Atlantis Paradise Island, Bahamas 600 rooms from €522Active Holiday - Think of the activity, and here you can probably do it: cinema, casino, tennis, yoga and all watersportsFamilies - A wide variety of activities for children, including age-relevant kids club, water park and Dolpin CayKids Club - Fully staffed.SpaRecommended by - Kiwi Collection
Expansive resort on the beach. Elegant rooms are in creamy shades with sea view balconies and big bathrooms. Outdoor pool, beach access, tennis courts, gym, spa, water park, cinema and casino. Excellent International cuisine, both gourmet and light. With so much to do, perfect for families. See More
The Ocean Club, Nassau Nassau (PARADISE ISLAND) 107 rooms from €1211Romantic Break - This hotel just nails romance, for a start at 6pm every evening glasses of champagne and strawberries are brought to each roomTennis coaching - Their in house pro Leo Rolle has been coaching there for 50 years- and there's a reason they have held onto him!Fishing - Go deep sea fishing on their yacht, cook your catch in the local style and then learn to mix a perfect cocktailTotal relaxation - The Balinese-style spa is wonderful, so is the leafy adults only pool area and the plush rooms
This Four Season luxury resort is the epitome of Bahamian style. The luxury suites and villas offer louvered hardwood doors and private balconies. The service is truly remarkable, and often friendships are created that draw guests back again and again. The gardens and restaurant are show stoppers. See More