Search the best hotels in Southwold
A classic British seaside town in Suffolk, on the beautiful North Sea coastline, Southwold nestles on the mouth of the River Blyth near the Heath Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty. Beautiful, rejuvenating and quintessentially British, this picturesque market town boasts a long and pleasant beach dotted with lighthouses and beach huts, a thriving and bustling harbour and an award-winning pier, while the town itself bears all the trappings of a classic British seaside holiday: quirky gift shops, vintage fairs, mad and overflowing sweet shops and a few designer boutiques, while parents can unwind at the world-famous Adnams Brewery, whose beer is sold in the local pubs. The outskirts of town promise spellbinding natural beauty and fun activities for the family: a 9-hole crazy golf course, a paddleboard lake, tea rooms, car rallies and bird sanctuaries. Our list of the best places to stay in Southwold include two traditional hotels ideal for families.
What not to miss
- Walk across the Heath Area of Outstanding Natural Beauty.
- Take a guided tour around the lighthouse.
- Check out the twice-weekly market (every Monday and Thursday) and buy bread, ale, cheese and honey - you name it!
- Sunbathe at the beach - if the weather permits!
- Take in a show at the Southwold Summer Theatre.
- Head to the Southwold Boating Lake & Tearoom and relax as the kids paddle across the lake.
- Hike to the clifftops and see the cannon.
A pretty seaside escape and a classic British holiday, Southwold oozes with charm, good food, family fun and natural beauty. Find out more by checking out our collection of the best places to stay in Southwold.
The best places to stay in Southwold
Restaurant with rooms
- Sutherland House is a family-run restaurant in a historic building in the centre of Southwold offers four spacious, comfortable rooms with modern bathrooms. The excellent seafood restaurant has been awarded two AA rosettes and makes for a great base to stay in the charming seaside village.
- The Sail Loft is a cool contemporary restaurant with rooms boasting a fabulous beachside location. Four individually styled rooms are light and airy with luxurious bathrooms, boldly patterned wallpaper, crisp white linen and floor to ceiling windows. A fabulous restaurant feels more like a fancy beach side shack.
- The Swan Hotel is a four star hotel on the market square in lovely seaside Southwold. Contemporary comfort complements traditional charm in the rooms, some with sea views. The award winning restaurants offers French fare and is popular across town. A great base for a seaside holiday with the family.
For an apartment or cottage
- Our partner Booking.com has a wide range of cottages and apartments in the nearby area.
- The best time to go is during the summer - you want to get the most of the seaside life! During this time the temperature ranges between 11 and 25 degrees.
- Fly to London Stanstead International Airport and get a train to London Paddington. From there you can get a train to Norwich and from there a bus to Southwold. The journey can take up to 4 hours.
- If you want to rent a car, contact our partner Rentalcars.
Still not sure?
- Expand your search to include the best places to stay in Suffolk
- or the United Kingdom
- or contact one of our Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Southwold
Best Hotels in Southwold
Toad Hall Lodges Southwold 5 rooms from €109Local exploring - There is loads to do here, whether you want a seaside vibe, exploring the local villages or an active stayValue chic - With chic lodges starting from as little as £70 per night low season, Toad Hall represents superb valueCountry Escape - A stunning rural setting which is perfect for a spot of R'n'RSights nearby - Loads of pretty market towns, ancient villages and stately homes to visit close by
A collection of five chic adults-only lodges a stone's throw from Southwold and the Suffolk Coast. Stylishly done interiors feature king-sized beds, power showers and luxury accessories. Each has a private decking area with a fire pit and shared outdoor kitchen—a grown-up rural retreat with gym. See More
Sutherland House Southwold (Suffolk and Essex) 4 rooms from €115Foodies - Fantastic seafood based restaurant where everything down to the black pudding is made in house, and you taste the difference.Full of character - Many original features including pargetted ceilings and foot wide elm floorboards dating back to the 1450s!Fishing - Fishing is a popular past time with the locals, head out on the seas and try and catch your dinner.Sights nearby - Visit the local Adnams Brewery, learn about brewing and sample some of the produce.
The Swan Hotel, Southwold Southwold (Suffolk) 42 rooms from €190Value chic - A wonderful and historic small town hotel with exceptional views and facilities- without a killer price tag.Active Holiday - Watersports, fishing, golfing, rambling, riding and bowling are all within a few minutes of the hotel.Great walks - Just two minutes from the famed Southwold Promenade, take a stroll along the coast and breath the fresh sea air.Local markets - Southwold's market square (right outside the door) has a whole host of shops and stalls.Recommended by - Good Hotel Guide
Four star hotel on the market square in lovely seaside Southwold. Contemporary comfort complements traditional charm in the rooms, some with sea views. The award winning restaurants offers French fare and is popular across town. A great base for a seaside holiday with the family. See More
The Sail Loft Southwold 4 rooms from €207Beach Life - Located right on Southwold's harbour with a direct footpath through the dunes onto the beach.Great walks - Take long walks along the scenic coastal path.Sailing - Hop on the iconic foot ferry to Walberswick.Seaside - Ideal for a seaside holiday.
A cool contemporary restaurant with rooms boasting a fabulous beach side location. Four individually styled rooms are light and airy with luxurious bathrooms, boldy patterned wall paper, crisp white linen and floor to ceiling windows. A fabulous restaurant feels more like a fancy beach side shack. See More