Search the best hotels in Buckinghamshire
Buckinghamshire or 'leafy Bucks' as those who've fallen for this county's charms call it, has within its boundaries both notable British treasures, like Bletchley Park and Stowe Gardens and some spectacular countryside, including the chalk escapement of the Chiltern Hills. Home of the Prime Minister's country residence, Chequers Court, Buckinghamshire has more than its fair share of beautiful country residences. Some of these have been converted into hotels which have that grandeur that’s come to be associated with the county. For those on a tighter budget, our Gurus recommend that the best places to stay in Buckinghamshire are the area’s charming country inns.
Some of our Buckinghamshire collections:
- The Best Places to Stay in Henley-on-Thames
- The Best Places to Stay in Marlow
- The Best Places to Stay in Aylesbury
- 8 of the Best Places to Stay for the Henley Regatta
- Best hotels for a quick country escape
- 8 of Buckinghamshire's Best Pubs with Rooms
- 6 of the Most Romantic Hotels in Buckinghamshire
- The 4 Best Hotels with Hot Tubs in Buckinghamshire
Buckinghamshire benefits from being close to London, and its expansive woodlands and rolling hills have made it a historic commuter belt haven between the city and Oxford. That's why so many great manor houses have been built here. Proximity to London also played a part in Bletchley's selection to be the home of the WWII code breakers. The facility is now a museum and has the wonderfully complex Enigma machine 'crackers' set up and running and 'Colossus', the world's first computer.
These days it's not just the Prime Minister in residence, Pinewood Studios has a large facility in Buckinghamshire and the county is well known for being Roald Dahl's home.
Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire's county town, is a charming market town with plenty of history, plus outdoor pursuits too. It's a good base for a quick weekend escape from London or for exploring further afield.
Our pick of the best places to stay in Buckinghamshire range from quintessential country house retreats to charming pubs with rooms - there's something for every taste and budget.
The Best Places to Stay in Buckinghamshire
For a country escape
- Grand, majestic and inviting, with beautifully landscaped parks, Hartwell House is one of those country piles owned by the National Trust and run as a country house hotel.
- Stoke Park looks like a mini version of the White House, a luxury Palladian mansion turned country house hotel and spa, with championship golf course and indoor and outdoor tennis courts.
- Stoke Place, located just outside Slough, is another wonderful country house hotel, this time in Queen Anne style, though with contemporary rooms and suites, set in 26 acres designed by Capability Brown.
- Expect history and heritage in abundance at Long Crendon Manor in rural Buckinghamshire. Atmospheric and dramatic rooms are crammed with antiques and period features plus there's a lovely garden and welcoming hosts. A stellar B&B.
- Nestled into the Buckinghamshire countryside, near the banks of the River Thames, The Dog and Badger is a charming small hotel. With great food served in the restaurant and comfortable rooms, it's a lovely place to relax and unwind.
For a pub
- The Crown Inn in Amersham is a delightful modern coaching inn with plenty of character and a reputation for good food - and it can be reached by tube from central London!
- The Stag and Huntsman looks like the quintessential English pub and that's exactly what it is! Featuring charming rooms, a stylish pub and superb restaurant it's a great spot for a quiet weekend away in Buckinghamshire.
- The Black Horse is another charming village pub. A small property with just two executive suites which are cosy yet luxurious. Downstairs the pub is cosy and serves hearty British fare. Ideal for rural weekends away.
For a boutique
- The Chequers, located in pretty Marlow, offers contemporary boutique accommodation that's been tastefully decorated, and features king sized beds and Nespresso machines. Plus there's great food here too.
For a romantic stay
- Waddesdon's The Five Arrows provides smart accommodation in creamy hues, featuring exposed wooden beams and some rooms with four posters. The 2 AA Rosette restaurant is also top-notch. A wonderfully romantic retreat.
- Super comfy and seductively cosy, refurbished from top to toe, the multi-award winning Pointer at Brill makes for a wonderful weekend stay. Michelin pub of the year in 2018, this is a perfect foodies' escape.
Prefer to stay in an apartment or cottage?
- If you'd prefer the flexibility of a self-catering option then browse through the wide variety available online with our partner Booking.com.
- Buckinghamshire's best weather is during the summer months, with the average daily temperature reaching 17°C in July and August. However this is peak season, so for a quieter alternative consider visiting in May or September.
- International visitors can fly into Heathrow Airport, located just outside the county, before taking a train or bus on to your final destination in Buckinghamshire.
- For car hire prices, we recommend you visit our online partner Rentalcars
Still not sure?
- Refine your search to The Best Places to Stay in Aylesbury or Henley-on-Thames.
- Or you could widen your net to include our recommendations for The Best Places to Stay in Oxfordshire, or The Best Places to Stay in Berkshire.
- Alternatively, feel free to contact one of our friendly gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Buckinghamshire
Best Hotels in Buckinghamshire
The Chequers Marlow 9 rooms from £90Short break - The Chequers is located just 15 miles away from Heathrow AirportRomantic Break - Boasts a quiet atmosphere, great accommodation and lovely foodSights nearby - If you fancy a fun-filled day out then go visit Legoland-just ten miles away from The Chequers!Sailing - Take a boat trip down the River Thames and enjoy a scenic tour of the area
In picturesque Marlow, The Chequers features elegantly renovated interiors offering contemporary, boutique accommodation. Rooms boast comfy king-sized beds, funky retro furniture and sassy modern wallpapers. Wonderful meals are served in the dining room and the lively bar is perfect for a pint. See More
The Stag and Huntsman Henley-on-Thames, Buckinghamshire 9 rooms from £90Sights nearby - Visit beautiful nearby National Trust houses such as Hedsor House and Cliveden House.Great walks - The surrounding countryside is full of lovely walking routes.Restaurant - Recommended.
Looking like the quintessential English pub, The Stag and Huntsman has the name to boot and all. Featuring charming rooms, a stylish pub and superb restaurant it's a great spot for a quiet weekend away in Buckinghamshire. See More
The Crown Inn, Buckinghamshire Amersham, Buckinghamshire 23 rooms from £95Restaurant - Hawkyns Restaurant is run by Michelin starred chef Atul Kochhar and serves fine dining Indian cuisineCooking classes - Atul Kochhar runs several cookery masterclasses every year.Romantic - Good for couples.Recommended by - Tablet, Sawdays
A modern coaching inn on the end of the Metropolitan line, updated by Ilse Crawford design, understated with character, and good food. Traditional Room 12 featured in the movie Four Weddings and a Funeral. Locals throng the small bar. See More
The Five Arrows Aylesbury, Buckinghamshire 16 rooms from £105Great walks - The Chilterns, with their never ending walking paths, are perfect for ramblers.Full of characterRestaurant - Recommended.TraditionalRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide
A former coaching inn of the Rothschild's Waddesdon Manor, The Five Arrows provides a historic stay in the home county of Buckinghamshire. Pastel coloured bedrooms with exposed beams, some with four poster beds and traditional bathrooms. By all accounts the restaurant is 5*. A gourmet lover's dream! See More
Stoke Place Slough, Buckinghamshire 40 rooms from £105TraditionalSights nearby - Well located for major sights.Restaurant - Recommended.Recommended by - Tablet
Country manor house hotel set amid 26 acres of parkland and gardens. Traditional features and contemporary designs. Exudes country-style elegance with a modern twist. See More
The Black Horse Bucks, Buckinghamshire 2 rooms from £120Country Escape - A quintessentially Briitish pub complete with roaring fires, a choice selection of ales and hearty food.Great walks - Explore some of the 530 acres of woodland, heathland and grassland at Black Park.Sights nearby - Visit the imposing Cliveden estate and learn about its Royal past.Full of character
A charming British pub situated in the heart of a quaint village. Feast on exemplary pub fare and choose from an excellent wine list. The two executive suites are cosy yet luxurious with imposing four poster beds and large contemporary bathrooms. Ideal for rural weekends away. See More
Long Crendon Manor Buckinghamshire 3 rooms from £125Sights nearby - Visit the magnificent Notley Abbey, only two miles from the B&B.Great walks - The surrounding area is full of lovely walks.Romantic - Good for couples.Full of characterRecommended by - Sawdays
History and heritage abound at Long Crendon Manor in rural Buckinghamshire. Atmospheric and dramatic rooms are crammed with antiques and period features plus there's a lovely garden and welcoming hosts. Breakfast in the vast dining room includes home grown pork. A stellar B&B. See More
The Pointer Buckinghamshire 8 rooms from £130Sights nearby - Oxford and Waddesdon to name a few are all nearbyRestaurant - Field to fork menuGreat walks - Good for walkers.Full of character
Super comfy and seductively cosy, refurbished from top to toe, the multi-award winning Pointer at Brill makes for a wonderful weekend stay. Michelin pub of the year 2018 and Sunday Times hotel of the year 2018. 15 minutes from Bicester Village See More
The Dog and Badger Marlow, Buckinghamshire 6 rooms from £150Local exploring - A great spot for exploring Buckinghamshire and the River Thames.Sights nearby - Pay a visit to the Queen's world famous residence, Windsor Castle.Great walks - Go for lovely walks along the River Thames.Restaurant - Recommended.
Nestled into Buckinghamshire near the banks of the River Thames, The Dog and Badger is charming small hotel. With great food served in the restaurant and comfortable rooms, it's a lovely place to relax and unwind. See More
Crazy Bear Beaconsfield Beaconsfield, Buckinghamshire 45 rooms from £161Foodies - Bon viveurs will love the bustling bar and busy restaurant serving classic English ingredients with excellent wines & champagnesLocal exploring - The extravagant interiors couldn't differ more from the surrounding English countryside. Explore quaint villages & manor housesRomantic Break - Decidedly couple-friendly, this isn't somewhere to bring the kidsSights nearby - Make a day of it and visit Legoland or stop for lunch at Cliveden House, a luxury country house hotel with a dramatic history
Sexy one-of-a-kind boutique hotel. Housed in traditional 15th-century coaching inn, racy and opulent rooms channel Marquis de Sade; picture red velvet walls, leather floors, mirrored ceilings & sexy mood lighting. Enjoy buzzing restaurants, a pool, hot tub & massages. Perfect weekend-away material. See More
Stoke Park Buckinghamshire 49 rooms from £265Swimming Pool - Indoor PoolRestaurant - Recommended.SpaTraditionalRecommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, Kiwi Collection, Small Luxury Hotels
Luxury Palladian mansion turned country hotel. Spa and country club with golf course, indoor and outdoor tennis courts, award-winning restaurants. See More
Danesfield House Hotel and Spa Marlow-On-Thames, Buckinghamshire 55 rooms from £279Spa - The Spa Illuminata Danesfield House offers pool, hot tub, steam room and a vast range of face and body treatmentsSights nearby - Pretty Thameside town Marlow is just 3 miles away, plus Windsor and Henley are close byRestaurant - Stylish restaurant with interiors by Anouska Hempel, serving modern British cuisineGreat walks - There are lovely walks round the gardens and plenty of riverside amblesRecommended by - Small Luxury Hotels
Romantic French style country house set in 65 acres of beautiful landscaped gardens leading down to the River Thames. 75 Individually designed rooms offer traditional or contemporary interiors and lovely views. Excellent restaurant and spa. Perfect for some downtime away from the city. See More
Hartwell House Aylesbury 52 rooms from £290TraditionalRestaurant - Recommended.SpaTennisRecommended by - Frommers, Good Hotel Guide, Small Luxury Hotels
Grand, majestic yet inviting hotel at the heart of an expansive country estate See More
The Langley Iver, Buckinghamshire 41 rooms from £485Garden - Set over 150 acres of formal gardens and parklands designed in the 18th century by world-famous Capability BrownHistoric - The property has aristocratic credentials; it was originally the manor home of the third Duke of MarlboroughFamilies - Families can enjoy connecting rooms, babysitting, children's robes, slippers & special bathroom amenitiesShort break - Offers wonderful country feel, yet just a short train ride from central London
Glossy 5-star Buckinghamshire hotel set over a grand Palladian mansion & sweeping grounds. Renovated rooms combine with world-class amenities; think impressive wellness centre, two pools & charming dining options. Traditional English country pile meets modern-day luxury retreat. See More