Search the best hotels in Pickering
A popular base for exploring North Yorkshire, Pickering is a wonderful destination for outdoorsy visitors. Couples, groups and families will find stacks to see and do in the area, and flexible accommodation options range from luxurious coaching inns to simple B&Bs or self-catering cottages fit for an array of budgets. Our pick of the best places to stay promises a hearty Yorkshire welcome and a characterful place to lay your head after days of adventure.
Pickering itself is a vibrant market town on the edge of the North York Moors. Pop into quirky independent shops, cosy cafés, lively pubs and great eateries, or catch a show at one of the town’s three theatre spaces. Don’t miss seeing the Beck Isle Museum, admiring the stunning wall paintings at the Saxon Church, or visiting Pickering Castle whilst you’re there.
The region’s big draw is, of course, the North York Moors National Park, which boasts spectacular scenery, as well as myriad walking trails and cycling paths. Particular sites of interest include the Kilburn White Horse, the famed Hole of Horcum and Sutton Bank — offering striking views over the Vale of York and the Vale of Mowbray. Try wild swimming in gorgeous waterfalls fringed with bright green ferns, take the family to Flamingo Land for an insight into conservation and fun theme park rides, or ‘Go Ape’ with adrenaline-filled high rope courses and zip wires across the valley. A steam train trip on the North Yorkshire Moors Railway is great for travellers of all ages, whilst history buffs will adore guided tours or workshops at imposing Castle Howard.
Whether you’re in North Yorkshire for steam trains, countryside rambles or horse riding, the best places to stay in Pickering are warm and friendly, with excellent local teams ready to offer superb recommendations for nearby attractions — as well as top-notch places to eat! A great escape for travellers of all ages.
The Best Places to Stay in Pickering
For a chic town stay
- The White Swan Inn is a charming, central spot right on Pickering's market place, perfect for couples, groups or families eager to explore the area. The 21 rooms are chic and characterful, there's a great two-bedroom cottage for families, and the restaurant serves delicious dishes crafted from locally-sourced ingredients. Also dog-friendly!
For a tranquil B&B
- Belmont B&B features five simple, elegant bedrooms in the village of Wrelton, on the edge of the North York Moors National Park. Pick this place for a tranquil, intimate stay, complete with hearty breakfasts (featuring ingredients from the kitchen garden), a friendly welcome from the owner-managers, and cosy evenings by the roaring 18th-century fireplace. Great value and ideal for ramblers, cyclists and nature lovers.
For A HOLIDAY COTTAGE OR APARTMENT
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option, we suggest that you visit our online partner Booking.com.
- Fly to Leeds Bradford Airport or to Manchester Airport, and take the train to Malton, just a short taxi ride from Pickering.
- Alternatively, the journey from London takes around 3 hours by rail and 3.5 hours by road.
- Yorkshire is great for a road trip! Contact our online partner Rentalcars if you would like to hire a car.
- Whilst the weather is warmest in July and August (with temperatures peaking at around 19°C), clear, crisp spring and autumn days are also well-suited to exploring — and ensure that you'll avoid the crowds.
STILL NOT SURE?
- Explore our list of all the best places to stay in York.
- Alternatively, expand your search to see our pick of the best hotels in the Yorkshire Dales or all the best places to stay in Yorkshire.
- Or contact one of our friendly Gurus for advice.
Monthly Weather in Pickering
Best Hotels in Pickering
The Horseshoe Inn Pickering 8 rooms from £95Owner managed - Brothers Charles and Toby Wood play a hands on role as host and chef giving this pub a personalised touchActive Holiday - Set within the North York Moors National Park, this is the perfect base for rambling or cycling holidaysCountry Escape - A cosy pub located within the North York Moors National Park, ideal for a country escapeGreat walks - Whether you want an all day hike or a shorter amble, the North York Moors have a vast network of trails
A traditional village inn set right amidst the North Yorkshire Moors National Park. The handful of rooms are individually styled and have a fresh take on traditional design. The best have freestanding roll-top baths. With a firelit pub serving hearty cuisine & good ales, this is a cosy rural stay. See More
Belmont B&B Pickering (Wrelton) 5 rooms from £99Active Holiday - With its proximity to the North Yorkshire Moors, this is ideal as a jump off point for a day's cycling or hikingLess £ - With rooms costing around £100 for doubles (less for singles) this is a reasonably priced rural getawayCharming - An 18th century cottage with warm hosts and cosy interiors - a charming home away from homeGroups - With a mix of five double and single rooms, this is a good option for a group holiday
Charming B&B at the foot of the North York Moors forest. Elegant, fresh rooms have wrought iron beds, original 18th-century fireplaces and lovely bathrooms with complimentary toiletries. Delightful kitchen garden and vegetable patch; great breakfast served by friendly owners. A good value stay. See More
White Swan Inn Pickering (North Yorkshire) 21 rooms from £159Value chic - A charming and characterful spot with chic interiors, warm and heartfelt service and gourmet cuisine, at a reasonable price.Back to Nature - A warm a cosy spot to retire to after a tiring day exploring the beautiful Yorkshire Moors.Great walks - North Yorkshire Moors on the doorstep with miles od spectacular walking and breathtaking views.Sights nearby - Visit Castle Howard, Hovingham Hall, Duncombe Park or Helmsley Walled GardenRecommended by - Good Hotel Guide, Sawdays