Search the best hotels in Dahlonega
In the foothills of the Blue Ridge Mountains, just an hour's drive north of Atlanta, Dahlonega is perfect for a mountain-getaway weekend break. As well as offering a great base for enjoying the big outdoors, the best places to stay in Dahlonega also put you close to wine-tasting and gold-panning opportunities.
What Not To Miss
- Not many people realise that Dahlonega was the site of the USA's first major gold rush some 20 years before California. Discovered by accident in 1828 - discover more in the Dahlonega Gold Museum or tour an old gold mine - there is still gold to be found today if you go panning in the many creeks.
- After which, you might feel like celebrating (or drowning your sorrows) at one of the town's several wineries and wine-tasting rooms; it has the highest concentration of vineyards in Georgia.
- The town has a charming downtown area of well-preserved, 19th-century buildings and shaded brick sidewalks with plenty of independent shops and art galleries.
- Before long, however, you will feel the call of the nearby Blue Ridge Mountain foothills, perfect for hiking, mountain-biking and kayaking. If you're feeling ambitious you could stride out on the famous Appalachian Trail; the southern end of the 2160-mile walk is to the east of Dahlonega.
- Or you could take it more leisurely in Chattahoochee National Forest with its spectacular waterfalls.
Whatever you choose, our guide to the best places to stay in Dahlonega is the ideal place to start.
The best places to stay in Dahlonega
For a charming B&B
- As the name suggests, The Smith House is down-to-earth, welcoming and family-friendly with homely yet elegant rooms. There’s a wrap-around veranda for sunny days and plenty of real fires to create a relaxed, intimate feel.
For an apartment
- If you'd prefer a self-catering option this holiday - don't hesitate to visit our online partner Booking.com for properties perfect for enjoying the stunning outdoors.
- Fly to Hartsfield–Jackson Atlanta International Airport located 119km (74 miles) from Dahlonega with a large selection of flights to both domestic and International destinations.
- Alternatively, if you'd like to rent a car to explore the beautiful outdoors - for prices visit our online partner Rentalcars
- Best time to visit - the summer from June to September provides warm weather for hiking in the mountains.
Still not sure?
Best Hotels in Dahlonega
The Smith House Dahlonega (Georgia)Local markets - Farmers Market every Tuesday and Saturday during the summer months.Full of characterSpaGreat walks - Good for walkers.
Charming gold-rush era hotel opened in 1899 and offers an intimate, family-friendly stay. Rooms have a TV, private bathroom and comfortable beds. Family-style dining for all, which is hugely popular across town. Great spot for vineyards, bike tours and trekking as well as relax at the Jolie Day Spa. See More