8 of the Best Palazzo Hotels in Venice
It is many people’s dream to visit Venice - La Serenissima - and stay in a Venetian palazzo. To imagine drawing back the curtains in the morning and gazing down on a canal busy with vaporetti and gondolas; no doubt also having your own personal canal-side mooring. And your bedroom, of course, with be lofty and frescoed, with high arched windows and gilded furnishings. Breakfast might be taken on a balcony or in a shady courtyard. And then you can stroll to all the major sights, or find hidden little back-streets to a bácaro, a small, local bar selling snacks called cicheti. In your dreams? No; these palazzi do exist, and you can stay in them - not always cheaply, but then they were built for noblemen. However, don’t despair, if you look carefully - and we have done - some of best the palazzo hotels in Venice are tucked away from the tourist routes and are more modestly priced but just as atmospheric.
8 of the Best Palazzo Hotels in Venice
Two more modestly priced palazzo hotels are the Cima Rosa and the Metropole.
- The 15th-century Cima Rosa has just three beamed and softly coloured bedrooms, and is quietly tucked away in the Santa Croce district but still on the Grand Canal.
- The privately run Metropole is a steal; overlooking the lagoon and steps from St Mark’s. The family’s antiques collection spills everywhere, with rooms ranging from lavish to more traditional. A Michelin-starred restaurant, too.
For antique filled rooms
- Also privately run by the owner, Palazzo Abadessa is a 16th-century building quietly tucked away in the Cannaregio district. Frescoed rooms are filled with antiques and Murano glass, and there’s also a walled garden; rare for Venice.
- Centrally placed, but tucked away, Palazzo Priuli has charming rooms of raftered ceilings and antique furnishings. It also has an excellent restaurant just stepping distance away.
For Grand Canal location
- Slap-bang on the Grand Canal waterfront, the 14th-century Ca' Sagredo has everything you would expect of a Venetian palazzo: frescoes, stucco work, gilded furniture and rich fabrics. It even boasts artwork by Tiepolo and Longhi, plus a canal-side terrace for dining.
For a room with a view
One of the finest Venetian views is across the lagoon to the Basilica of Santa Maria della Salute - a view shared by both Ca Maria Adele and the Gritti Palace.
- The 16th-century Ca Maria Adele has all the usual palazzo trimmings of rich fabrics and antiques, but also has a bold, decadent feel in its themed bedrooms. A small terrace, too.
- The famed Gritti Palace, a former 15th-century Doge’s palace in a peerless position on the Grand Canal, has all the tradition, sumptuousness and flawless service that you would expect. Plus one of the city’s finest dining terraces for Venetian views.
- Its main competitor for those views is the restaurant of the Bauer Il Palazzo, also in a commanding position on the Grand Canal. Evening dining is about as romantic as it gets in this romantic city. Bedrooms are opulent with a contemporary-lavish edge. There’s also a rooftop Jacuzzi.
Venice is a city of superlatives and it doesn’t get much better than a stay in one of the best palazzo hotels in Venice. But if there's nothing here that fits the bill, then check out all our Venice recommendations, or contact a friendly guru for advice.
Cima Rosa Venice 3 rooms from £156Sights nearby - Great location in the Santa Croce neighbourhood. Easy access to all of Venice's top attractions with a Vaporetta stop close by.Outstanding location - Cima Rosa is right on the Grand CanalGreat walks - Secret Gardens of Venice Walking TourSecluded setting - For escaping.Recommended by - Sawdays
Traditional 15th century Palazzo with views of the Grand Canal. Three elegant rooms with a charming blend of antique furniture & contemporary features and a charming outdoor courtyard, perfect for evening drinks. A great base for a city break - owners have lots of local knowledge. See More
Metropole Venice 67 rooms from £156Local exploring - This couldn't be a more central location set overlooking the Bacino di San Marco lagoon and with St Mark's Square within sight!Foodies - The Met Restaurant has been awarded a Michelin star and serves superb contemporary Italian dishes with a focus on local produceSights nearby - Steps away from the famous Plazza San MarcoViews - Choose a room with a lagoon viewRecommended by - Tablet, Frommers, Michelin Travel, Fodors
The Beggiato family open their doors and antique collection to give guests Lagoon views, a luxurious stay and Michelin star dining. Rooms are unique with an eclectic mix of curios and collectables. Enjoy the rare Venetian garden, the memorable dining experience and the Oriental Bar. Romantic stay. See More
Palazzo Abadessa Venice 15 rooms from £213Writing a novel - Be inspired by the enchanting setting- think authentic 17th-century frescoes, silk-lined walls and secret walled gardens.Local exploring - Well situated in the bohemian Cannaregio quarter, beside a quiet canal perfect for private watertaxis.Local markets - Browse the Rialto market for local produce, leather goods and perfumes, just across the Grand Canal.Sights nearby - A short walk away is Ca' d'Oro a splendid gothic style building overlooking the Grand Canal.Recommended by - I Escape, Fodors
Restored 16th-century palazzo with spacious frescoed rooms, full of antiques and Murano glass. Bursting with history and character. Four poster beds, heavy curtains and patterned wallpaper adorn the rooms. Drinks are served in a walled terrace with shaded seating. Truly regal living. See More
Palazzo Priuli Venice (Castello di Venezia) 10 rooms from £195City Style - A traditional, yet luxurious stay, offering guests a touch of old-world Venitian eleganceSights nearby - Located in the heart of Venice's historic centre just 200m from St Mark's SquareRomantic - Good for couples.Local markets - Good for local colour.
Ca’ Sagredo Hotel Venice 42 rooms from £239Honeymoons - This hotel drips in spendour and opulent romance- think frescoed ballrooms, palatial suites, elegant drapes and orginal artwork.Foodies - The trendy and effortlessly elegant L’Alcova restaurant serves up regional specialities with a modern twist.Sights nearby - Nestled between Ca DOro and the Rialto Bridge you're not more than a short walk or boat ride to Venice's main attractions.Local markets - The ancient Rialto Market happens just across from the hotel, a spectacle for all the senses and well worth a visit.Recommended by - Small Luxury Hotels, Michelin Travel, Fodors, Great Small Hotels
Ca Maria Adele Venice 12 rooms from £363City Style - Chic hotel with fantastic views of the Santa Maria della Salute Basilica in central Venice.Romantic Break - Ornate kingsize beds and sumptuous fabrics throughout.Great walks - Wander down to the island tip where Punta della Dogana hosts the stunning art collection of billionaire Francois Pinault.Sights nearby - The hotel overlooks the Santa Maria della Salute Basilica.Recommended by - Mr & Mrs Smith, I Escape, Kiwi Collection
16th-century palazzo, overlooking Basilica di Santa Maria della Salute in the Dorsoduro neighbourhood. The décor harks back to a bygone era of decadence and style. Think rich fabrics, bold wallpaper and quirky antiques. Choose one of the themed rooms for the best experience and fine lagoon views. See More
Gritti Palace Venice 82 rooms from £538Honeymoons - Magnificant suites with hand-blown chandeliers, fine fabrics and balconies overlooking Santa Maria della Salute.Views - Overlooking one of Venice's most famed churches, Santa Maria della Salute.Sights nearby - Nearby San Marco district is perfect for exploring by foot.Outstanding locationRecommended by - Frommers, Fodors
Former 15th Century Doge's palace turned beautiful hotel for all. Classically styled rooms have views to die for and spectacular marble bathrooms. Tradition and elegance meet at the fine dining restaurant, with seating over the main canal. A romantic hotel with a great location. See More
Bauer Il Palazzo Venice 82 rooms from £395Restaurant - Enjoy stunning views of the Grand Canal below with your dinner.Views - Views of the Grand Canal.Sights nearby - Two minutes from the iconic “drawing room of Europe,” St Mark's Square.Restrictions on children - Children cannot be accommodated at the hotel.Recommended by - Tablet, Kiwi Collection, Michelin Travel